Just watched the League!

Ayre el KaBeer

Just watched LXG, I'd like to apologise if someone else has already started up a similar thread, I didn't spot it.

If you want fun, action, supernatural powers, and a stack of super-science, The League of Extraudinary Gentlemen has all of these in abundance! It's an incredibly entertaining flick, but be warned: THERE IS NO SUBTLETY WHATSOEVER!!!

It went exactly as you'd expect a fast paced Adventure! game to go, more braun than brain though. Still a great watch, IMO the best characters were the 2 imortals #1. scientist vampiress (actress from LaFemme Nikita). #2. Dorrian Grey (dude that plays Lestat in Queen of the Damned). Also excellent was Cptn. Nemo (no idea who the actor is)... Connery was ok in it but was the least interesting character next to Tom Sawyer.

Oh and Asbjorn, please don't watch this movie! It'll inspire far too many nasty things to do to our pc's. ::crazy

Oh and Asbjorn, please don't watch this movie! It'll inspire far too many nasty things to do to our pc's.  ::crazy

Too late.... ::devil

I saw it last night on the opening show here in norway. It was cool, but it had two major drawbacks. Sean Connery should'nt even have been in the movie (and I usually like his movies), and the Nautilus was way over the top. I mean, a ship that size would have trouble getting through the Gibraltar!! ::crazy

But it was worth the money, had a lot of interesting characters and gave me a little inspiration too...

Hmmm... I'd always thought that Sean Connery would have been perfect for Quartermain... Tell me, do you think it was his acting, or the script he was working with (or some other factor)?

And yes, I've never liked the idea of Tom Sawyer... I've never read the comics (like the book bases though ::smile ) but I'd heard that Tom Sawyer was an addition (for an American)?

Connery may have been reluctant to do his best because he was having a conflict with Stephen Norrington, the director. This article, another that quotes Connery rather bluntly, and others report that Connery and Norrington had quite a bit of disagreement while they were making the film (including arguments, challenges, and walking off the set), and Norrington didn't even attend the premier in Las Vegas. It's sad to think that this kind of unprofessionalism can get in the way of a good film, but it does.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I have Moore's graphic novel. Based on the trailer I'm guessing that the movie is very very different from the comic which is presented in a very oldie fashioned style of a 'book of adventure for young boys' and consists more of people standing around talking than doing massively adventurous things. Also - in the comic, the vampress is the very prim leader of the group that doesn't do anything vampire like at ALL, Quartermain is a washed out laudinum addict, Griffin is an amoral sex fiend, they find Hyde doing a Jack the Ripper on the Red Light district of Paris and Nemo, of course, being an infidel needs no other flaws. This is an Alan Moore comic after all.

Based on the trailer I'm guessing that the movie is very very different from the comic [. . .]

It is. This EON thread discusses many of the changes, but the short version is that the comics are aimed at a patient, literate audience that isn't afraid to read another novel or look up the character's bio on the Internet, and the film is an X-Menish action-adventure summer flick aimed at an audience that doesn't necessarily know who Mina Murray, Allan Quatermain, and Dorian Gray are.

Both volumes of the comic series are now concluded (the first being the forming of the latest incarnation of the League & their battles with Fu Manchu - not named for legal reasons - & a certain 'M'... & the second being 'The War of the Worlds').

Mina, in the comics, isn't a vampire at all - she's an outcast like the rest of the League members because she: a) allowed herself, a married woman, to be seduced (by a foreigner no less ::nervous ), & B) got a divorce (for shame!). Her only 'power' is the fact that, after Dracula, pretty much nothing phases her (even the monstrous Mr Hyde).

In the books, the League has existed for years, in various forms, & with various members. The next volume is rumoured to be set some time more advanced than the first two volumes, with only Mina returning. The film version (which I'm yet to see - being a Brit' & all) doesn't follow the books' continuity, but as long as the members are recognised literary characters then they're fair game as far as Moore's original vision goes. Read volume 2 of the comic series & you'll never look at Rupert the Bear in the same light again... ::blink

Hmmm... I'd always thought that Sean Connery would have been perfect for Quartermain... Tell me, do you think it was his acting, or the script he was working with (or some other factor)?

When I think about it, it's probably more correct to say that Quatermain shouldn't have been in the film. He's definitely the least interesting/entertaining character, and in my opinion way too much is centered around him. I'm pretty sure Connery would be an excellent Quatermain, but I didn't like the focus he got in this one.

And yes, I've never liked the idea of Tom Sawyer... I've never read the comics (like the book bases though  ::smile ) but I'd heard that Tom Sawyer was an addition (for an American)?

Actually, Tom Sawyer is one of the more entertaining characters. Number two on my list. I don't know anything about the comics, though. In my opinion he gave the team more life, since he's about the only one who isn't a 'stiff upper lip' british gentleman.

Who's number one? Mr Grey... A complete and utter 'I've seen it all and I'm so dreadfully bored' arrogant bastard. To quote one of his first lines: "I'm... complicated." Definitely the best acting job in the movie.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I have Moore's graphic novel. Based on the trailer I'm guessing that the movie is very very different from the comic which is presented in a very oldie fashioned style of a 'book of adventure for young boys' and consists more of people standing around talking than doing massively adventurous things.

I don't know what I expected, really, but I think there was too much standing around talking and not enough fast-paced adventure. When I think Adventure movies, Indy and the Mummy are what everything is measured up against, and this wasn't nearly as exciting, I'm afraid...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. Have just seen it - released in the UK on Friday.

It was OK, but had many questionable aspects. Why did the group gel? And even if it were going to, why so fast? Where was the development of the characters? I may know all of them from various novels and comics, but the average punter had no idea, for example, who Dorien Gray was - how many people read Wilde? The Nautilus, as above, was silly - a ship that size managing its way around Venice? Also, the end was a bit slow, and extremely cheesy.

Other than that, twas OK. Man of the match - definitely Dorien Gray. Played the character excellently!

Yes - Grey was extremely cool - but but but

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER

Everyone knows that posh English blokes are always the Seiddab!!!

Archived