Trinity Universe: Dreams of Dragons OOC

ProfPotts

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alrighty...tell ya what. You have your spleen vented by a nasty Abbie, go into a coma, wake up, and then have to remember all those niggling details of security work on a ship this size with a sizeable chunk of your security forces dead.

Oh, nevermind...forgot you were a secretary. ::devilangel ::hehe

J/K man...IRL I totally spaced it. For all the reasons above and then some, it was really easy to forget. Personally, I never thought Barb even had quarters, I thought the reporters were going to leave the ship after the reception. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I won't make that mistake again.

Setting a wonderful smelling chicken piccata in front of Foxley, his own place is set with a thick steak.

Really? You'd think he'd eat the same thing as his date when he offers the food. An "if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me" kinda thing...

bah, must be just me then...

psst, she's vulnerable, avast ye scurvy dogs! Load the cannons! Prepare to board her! Nice 'n easy now... ::wink

Alrighty...tell ya what. You have your spleen vented by a nasty Abbie, go into a coma, wake up, and then have to remember all those niggling details of security work on a ship this size with a sizeable chunk of your security forces dead.

But it's been done, and I gotta be original.... ::wink

Oh, nevermind...forgot you were a secretary.

Why yes, yes Jane is a secretary..... ::halo

Personally, I never thought Barb even had quarters, 

Meh.... I didn't know. I just thought 'well, let's ask and find out'.

Ultimately, I do a lot of things the same regardless of RL or game:

If I feel something is important and needs doing, I'll do it, heedless of advice/requests to the contrary. ("Orders" are a different matter, but that *really* depends on the charactor)

Personally, I never thought Barb even had quarters, I thought the reporters were going to leave the ship after the reception. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I won't make that mistake again.

You'd have thought that the fact the PC reporter was assigned quarters when he boarded the ship would have been a clue... ::rolleyes ::wink

Had to have them confiscated along with a biotech laser which was smuggled aboard. Silly laws.

Smuggling weapons aboard.. tsk tsk. You're a disgrace to the Norca. ::sly ::tongue

Actually, I assumed that Randall's men had been over it as a matter of course. I'm glad I wasn't expected to roleplay the rebuilding of the hybrids, and as members of a team chosen to crew an interplanetary ship, I would hope our characters are more qualified (and likely to think of doing things like that) than we are.

::thumbsup

... and as members of a team chosen to crew an interplanetary ship, I would hope our characters are more qualified (and likely to think of doing things like that) than we are.

Thing is, most of the security staff died, & the remaining few had plenty of other things to be getting on with than to investigate the room of an aberrant who they knew to already be dead.

Of course, with a crew this size, in theory we don't need PCs at all... But where's the fun in that? ::tongue ::wink

Is there any reason why Sean doesn't just tell Randall about the weapon? I'm sure security would allow the chief engineer to carry it (even surrepticiously) in case of another abbie attack. The only reason Tom isn't packing is that he'd be liable to hurt himself more than the enemy..

Well, no, no reason in particular. He doesn't see the point - he feels that since he's lived in peace on the ship for weeks and only drawn it against Barb, he's pretty much proven that he's not going to do anything with it, so it's not entirely unacceptable that Simon find out. Mostly it's because he's the kind of guy that plays his cards close to his chest so he looks cooler when he plays his trump. ::cool ::rolleyes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder that all players should feel free to post what their characters are doing. Right now the game's in a pretty PC-driven mode (at least until you all get your butts to the soddin' planet! ::tongue ::wink ) - I'm reacting to what PCs are doing (as well as, naturally, having NPCs continue their own sneaky activities in the background - at this point the monkey ninja on the planet will have finished their universe-destroying death-ray long before anyone even gets in a hybrid... ::sly ).

Don't make me get out the virtual cattle prod... ::devil

Failing all that, he pokes it with a stick.

Isn't it funny how the best solutions of the era of cavemen will still poke thier heads up as far in the future as Trinity is... Then again, why change a successful solution?

I've decided to end Dreams of Dragons. It's now apparant that I haven't created an environment that promotes the PCs working together towards a common goal, & that I've allowed the momentum of the game to, basically, grind to a complete halt. A recent PM from Knave also pointed out that one of the more important basic premises I was exploring in the game (the awakening intellect & life of the Tesser & the jumpship) isn't supported buy the published Trinity material - at least not in the manner I envisioned it. From the start of the game I'd been slightly worried that the fact I've only got a handful of the published Trinity books may be a problem, & it turns out to have been the case. I know that as ST I could just change whatever I wanted to, but establishing such changes (however unwittingly) without informing the players beforehand is just unfair.

So as not to leave everyone completely in the dark, I'll run though some 'behind the curtain' stuff, for those who are interested:

I always try to choose series names that have several layers of meaning. That much was true with Dreams of Dragons as well. One of the more important meanings involved story elements which the PCs never reached. The other most important meaning was in reference to the jumpship itself & it's new life - i.e. the dreams of the jumpship.

The jumpship environment I choose to try & avoid issues with my lack of knowledge about the Trinity setting - a setting-specific environment that still allowed for a variety of character types, but more controllable than most.

My aim with the original events of the story was to establish the jumpship as a setting, get the PCs comfortable with the command structure, their characters et al, then unleash the aberrant attack. With the jumpship ending up out of contact with humanity, & the command crew dead, I was hoping to throw the PCs into the unexpected roles of suddenly being in charge - & responsible for the lives of a couple of hundred people. I'd expected that the PCs would either sink or swim - but failed to anticipate the 'status quo' that resulted instead. At that point the lack of command NPCs really crippled my options for advancing the plot - I could have NPCs suggest certain things, but if the PCs choose to not act on them I had little to fall back on (apart from space-monkeys ::wink ).

The overall plot revolved around a artifacts left by a long-dead rebelious off-shoot of the Qin race who had, in ancient times, experimented with other Psionic Aptitudes - including Teleportation, which had led them to the stars. These guys had mutated themselves (via biokinetic effects) over time to become the other major reference in the 'Dreams of Dragons' series title. The antagonists of the piece were gonna' be the baselines & aberrants of 'Amarna' - an ancient aberrant colony founded by the original Nefertiti & Akenaten. These 'Amarnans' had discovered the remains of one of the sites of the ancient proto-Qin guys - & found within a whole bunch of crystals. They eventually realised that the crystals contained 'psi co-ordinates' to various other ancient sits of interest throughout the universe - but lacked the ability to use the things (they traveled themselves via Warp). Thus they plotted to steal a jumpship - hence the events of the story.

The planet the characters were heading towards was that with the ancient proto-Qin site on it, along with an Amarnan archeological team. Barb had planned on alerting them (& their aberrant overload - Blaze) when the Kai Xing had jumped, but was killed before she got time. Finding a tiny jumpship somewhere in the vast space of a planetary system isn't something that even an aberrant could easily do - therefore the characters were basically left to their own devices, but with few options as to where to go.

The 'diamond' is the same diamond that the Elites found over in QZ - Elites: an artifact of the proto-Qin guys (from the time they spent messing about on ancient Earth). Barb had acquired it for the ongoing effort to unlock the proto-Qin technology.

Well that's the gist of what I'd planned anyway - feel free to ask questions if anything's bugging you.

Overall, as the first actual Trinity game I've run, it was - as the subtitle noted - an 'attempt'. As such I think I've picked up a few lessons about the setting & how to run such a game. If I run another one, I've already got a few ideas of what I'd change.

So, a big thanks to all the players - there were some great characters developed there ::thumbsup ; & sorry it wasn't a better game.

I actually thought it was a great game if more character based than others. The only fault I found is, as you pointed out, taking out the Captain. I'm also sad to see it go (Good by Thomas and family! ::smiley4 ), now I just hope Terry wakes up soon...

PS. As for lack of Material, I liked your Qin better than the books..the political houses and stuff is too "human" imo and your Tesser was more sentient as well, which is also cooler . More HAL than Puppy Dog and HAL is scary...

Edit: For what its worth, I intended to ask Simon to assign security to Trish and Thomas in case Tess tried anything again. He didn't want to leave her alone while he spoke with the Captain...I would've liked to continue with Tess's therapy and interrogations but if I get Prof it probably would've been better if we'd just jumped to the planet.

P.P.S. Only because I like to have copious amounts of Post-scriptums compared to the actual scriptum and I forgot ::prof2 ::prof1

Yikes Prof. I'm sorry I killed your game. ::unsure However unwittingly - as you say. ::confused

::prof1

::prof2

regardless.

IMO Trinity is a game where to prosper you need to get along to get along and that doesn't always happen. Sad, but true.

Generally I quite like the fact that it's fairly normal for the characters to form part of a unit that can be given missions. That tends to give a game some direction even when they're able roam pretty much anywhere in what is really a very rich gameworld. Games like Vampire tend to not have that aspect and, again IMO, that is why you'll see players running off to the GM every 5 minutes to discuss their 'secret plans' which is usually what causes said game to collapse.

Don't get me wrong, a bit of in group friction is well and good, but there is a limit after which the game as a whole tends to suffer. [btw - I'm not talking about DoD atm, but more generally]

I have noticed however, in my game and others, that there is basically a turn granularity problem with player chains of command and elsewhere, where a game can run into a bottleneck and get stuck waiting on one players or another. I know I'm the worst culprit as a GM for delaying things, but once a game is going, trying to keep the momentum going by offerring some alternatives based on the possible expected responses is fairly important. Also, if you think that you're not going to be able to reply for a while, try to put yourself in a situation where the GM can easily shuffle you along on the obvious course or remove you from the current scenario easily.

Also, although I'm sure that all of us realise that all of us on this board want to make all the games better - and of course that a GM's word is law in his game ( a challengeable ((or at least queryable) law, but still a law) if we must criticise anyway, tactfully is always best. Excuse me on that one too. I occasionally take the pee without smilies, but please believe me when I say that anything I write should be taken with a grain of salt and a few lumps of sugar. I think we're on this board to have fun first and so if we poke a bit of fun too - no worries - just try not to strike too close to the bone.

I'm also sad to see it go, but thanks for running it in the first place - it was an awesome game, helped remind me how much fun Trinity can be (along with Holo Lives, which is still in the process of doing so), and acquainted me with some very interesting bits of Irish slang. ::wink (And trying to type in such a way that the accent was apparent, but didn't come off as really over the top, was getting annoying ::rolleyes ). That reminds me, Brilyn, I've been wondering about this: have you ever heard women referred to as "ones"? Is this a subtle jab at people who say "I think I've found the one", or is it just one of those things that nobody understands? ::offtopic

Archived