Aberrant RPG - Silly Question

Asche

How fast could a Nova on a pedal bike go? Assuming the bike is built for mega strength/Dex and the thing is not going to break as soon as Mega Strength/Mega Dex 5 Joe begins to pedal it. I'm talking about theose real nice Mtn Bikes with 21 speeds and up. IS the a simple way to figure it out? thanks confused

Well, M-Str, as a rule, would not affect you're speed all that much. M-Dex, OTOH, would, since you can key that in with your Athletics (which is technically what this falls under). Also, Enhanced Movement or Fast Tasks might also apply. As an on the spot rule, I'd say that at the speed you could go, going on a standard Mountain bike ride across, say, the Pacific, could be done without too much Difficulty. Just remember to find an Island to turn back on, because I have the oddest feeling that turning around on water probably wouldn't be the safest idea. Also, remember to pack your lunch in waterproof tupperware, or your cut lunch will be absolutely wrecked.

I apologize for the idiocy of the last comment. I'm bored and my mind's been moving like crazy on this...

Actually, wouldn't leg strength factor in? The leg transfers the energy down to the pedal, which moves the chain which turns the wheel. Likewise, the faster you pedal would also factor in. The problem would be the materials necessary to take those kinds of stresses. I think we are way past tungsten-steel or any other alloys by this point. I am not sure a bike could be built for that. The nova is just to strong and fast. The pedals break off, the chain snaps, and the tires burn out. Just MHO.

I was thinking Gamewise, myself. In RL Aberrant (hah!), yeah, I expect that Strength would be consideration, but from my reckoning, Rules-wise Allowing M-Strength Autosuccesses to count on an Athletics roll creates a dangerous precedent (I mean, honestly, who could hit a person who get 5+ Autosuccesses on every dodge roll?)

Also you're right, what we need is a person with Molecular Authority to make this bike. Get your ordinary bike, and have him spend successes like crazy to make it invuln-

Damn, Now I know how to make those invincible robots! Fun!

OK..I need to make it clearer I guess. This is PURELY a hypothetical mechanics question. Lets say..The Bike does exist. It is completely unbreakable in every fashion, tires are standard size, weight is standard 12-15 lbs, and the gearing ratio is set as a normal baseline might use. How FAST in kph or mph can this bike go; say all relative mega attributes at 5.

Thanks a bunch in advance for straight answers.

we need not read into this soo darn much. mad Assuming that one CAN and ALL other realism factors aside, I was just trying to get some input as to how fast you think one COULD go. I was not asking for a discourse on physics and material strengths and windsheer. Thanks eek

Well, you see, research indicates that upwards of 50% of all roleplayers have some Scientific background, particularly Physics (so this is right up their alley). Of course they're going to get all Real-like on you.

But again, as QP says, it's not really something calculable. I mean, Hypercycling with M-Dex 5 and Enhanced Movement, with the Dex 5/Athletics 5 Roll to boost your speed further (with 100% success), as well as a couple of levels of Quickness, you're nearing 1000m/s here. After that point, it's fruitless trying to get an exact number. Why? If you can go in excess of 3600km/h, who exactly is going to be brave enough to hold the radar gun? And another question, where would you get a Radar gun that works in Mach speeds? If you really want, I can try calculate the absolute maximum for you, but for all intents and purposes, "supersonic" is an accurate enough descriptor for this kind of speed

All praise to Kirby. Thanks. I have a situation in my game that resembles the one I was trying to present. Not with those high stats (only mega strength 1 with mega dex 3, etc..) but none the less, I judged that in a straight line or relatively uninterrupted path, the nova in question was going to go about as fast as they have driven on a motorcycle before they went any faster. They were afraid of head-to-toe roadrash. laugh

I was then curious how fast one might go at the various levels of mega attributes on a bike. I did some quick, rough math in my head (I think my 286 needs upgraded) and on the fly declared that she could travel roughly 5 times her sprint on the bike.

Thanks for the most straight answer so far; I can work with that one. If you feel like it, you can calculate the speed with the above metioned stats with quickness. Thanks again.

btw, my background is in chemistry and biology. :P

OK, Ready for this?

Assuming the base determinate Cycling speed is the same as a sprint (Dex * 3) + 20m, and the subject has Dex 5, M-Dex 5 (with Enhanced Movement), As well as Mega-Wits 1 (with 5 levels of Quickness) as well as Hypercycling 5, and we work on the combat speeds instead of Out of Combat Speeds (and assuming a turn is 3 seconds long), then the calculation works out as following:

Calculation

Base Speed: (5 * 3) + 20, or 35m per turn

Add Hypermovement: (Add 6 to Dex Multiplier per dot) Now (5 * 33) + 20, or 185m per turn.

Add Enhanced Movement: (Multiply the whole damn thing by 1 + M-Dex) now ((5 * 33) + 20) * 6, or 1110m per turn.

Add Quickness: (Multiply again by 1 + Levels of Quickness 1110 * 5, or 5550m per turn.

Conversion

Convert to m/s: Divide by 3, or 1850m/s

Convert to m/m: Multiply by 60, or 111000m/m

Convert to m/h: Multiply by 60, or 6660000m/h

Convert to km/h: Divide by 1000, or 6660km/h

So your result is that you're traveling at 6660km/h. In mph, that's I believe around 4136.646 mph, which is pretty damn fast. Just follow that chart to get any Quantum-Enhanced speed, and plug in your ordinary stats. It's actually pretty easy to follow, really.

Glad to help wink

WoW!, This has become a very serious silly question. I don't really know how fast you would go, but just thinking of how a nova would look like on the bike peddeling with hyperspeed just makes me crack up.

Even better imaging a nova who steals a kids big wheel and rips through town on it. Ringing his little bell as part of his battle cry. Sorry but it just puts a smile on my face.

• 3 months later...

Well.. since this questionwas all due to me, I thought I'd give better info on it. Cin rides a bike most time. She can go places a car and the like cannot and there's no licens plat.

She has..

Dex 5. mega-Dex 5

Str 2. mega-str 1

Stm 2. mega-stm 2

and Athletics 2 (if it does any good)

She does not have hyper or enhanced movement, but she does have 3 level of quickness.

She has a bike that can withstand the stresses.

So just hoe fast could she go with out quickness and with quickness?

It seemed that in the math listed, the dex of 5 AND mega dex of 5 were not BOTH considered in figuring out the base movement, but I might be wrong.

Well, not quite.

The Dex 5 is used to determine your base speed. You're M-Dex, for some odd reason, actually doesn't come into it, rules-wise. To use it to add to your running speed, Enhanced Movement is required.

At any rate, Has anyone not thought that you don't actually need a Bicycle capable to withstanding this pressure? What do you think Attunement's for?

That's pretty much she has a bike that can take it. Good old Attunement.

As far as the Mega-Dex not added in... I think you're wrong. It is part of your dexterity. It does not say that you don't add it in. And if you look at the rules for calculating your base initiative, you'll see that you add you base and your mega wits & dex. It states that for that reason nova tende to blow other people out of the water. So right there they set a precident (sp?) that mega stats are added when figuring numbers like that.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Cin:
That's pretty much she has a bike that can take it. Good old Attunement.

As far as the Mega-Dex not added in... I think you're wrong. It is part of your dexterity. It does not say that you don't add it in. And if you look at the rules for calculating your base initiative, you'll see that you add you base and your mega wits & dex. It states that for that reason nova tende to blow other people out of the water. So right there they set a precident (sp?) that mega stats are added when figuring numbers like that.

Page 158 of the core rules:

"The Mega Dexterity Rating is added to the character's initiative, run and sprint scores."

Right in the listing of Mega Dexterity, so there you have it. It should be added and it is as far as running and sprint scores.

Meanwhile, shile strength should be a factor in cycling (And other forms of movement) speeds, Dex is the consistant determinant in Aberrant.

But screw cycling...A giant pastic hapster ball is where it's at.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth Rayne:
Okay bad picture... very bad picture. Now I can't stop laughing!

Blame my father for collecting those 70s Spider Man comics with all theRocket Racer guys...The big weel forever twisted my perceptions of superhuman transportation.

"YEah, so what are your powers?"

"I...Errrr...I strap myself into a hula hoop and roll over things."

Archived