WoD Is Dead! (well, dying)

As much as I am saddened to see WoD die, I have to say-

WAHOO! It's about time we saw the apocalypse. I can't wait.

And quite frankly, I shiver with anticipation over what new games they'll be bringing out to replace their biggest sellers (although WoD will still be around in the form of the Dark Ages series). Maybe they'll try sci-fi again? or will they stick to horror? or maybe they'll take up fantasy fully, instead of having it somewhere in the background?

Who knows?

I have to say... I don't really care much.

I like WoD, sure, but never thought a great deal of the 'Meta-plot' for it, so tend to ignore all that stuff in favour of things that relate more to actual legends & folk-lore (&, sometimes, movies) about vampires & werewolves & stuff.

I mean - that 'new red star that only Garou can see' bit? Didn't that (& similar stuff) strike anyone else as really cheesy? Wasn't the 'death of the Ravnos antidiluvian' more fan-boy-fodder than anything resembling an actual decent plot?

I get the impression that the writers are (justifiably) bored senseless of the whole thing & want to try their hands at something fresh. I know I would by now.

I've got mixed emotions when it comes to this Time of Judgment business. On the one hand, it's a hell of a ballsy move. I mean, WoD always talked a good game about how the End of the World was coming, but never in my fanboy heart did I think they'd actually go and do it. You have to respect a group of talented people making good on their promise.

On the other. . .damn. It's the end of an era for me personally. I remember starting my role-playing journey with Werewolf 2nd Edition way back in the 1994. The core of my decade's worth of rp is coming to a close next year. I'm not mad or anything, shaking my fist at Ethan Skemp and company. In fact, I like the idea of the story coming to a close. I just feel this pleasant melancholy. It's letting go of a piece of my past. Weird how fast time goes by. ::dontgetit

-Defender.

I tend to pick and choose bits of the Meta plot to suit my games, and I'm probably gonna just ignore the plot in the books when they come out. (Allthough I'll still buy them.... gotta tap that vein...)

I think the most important aspect here is that White Wolf is going no longer be the Vampire company, I want to see what their new flagship game will be. Hopefully this will open the doors to them at least concidering putting more time into the Aeon trilogy.

I thought they'd already given up on the Aeon trilogy?

And ProffPotts, as for the Red Star (the Anti-Sun), it's not just the Garou who see it. Many powerful mages have been destroyed whilst trying to study it. It seems to me the only the Garou see it as sign of the End of Days. It's a culture thing, like the ancient (not sure about modern. Does anywhere in China still do this?) chinese banging drums to stop the dragon in the sky from eating the sun so it can rise the next day. But it certainly ain't just the werewolves who see it. (the bastet do to, as do the corax, ratkin, nuwisha, rokea, ananasi, and the others.)

Yes, the death of the antediluvian Ravnos did sound like fan-boy fodder.

so tend to ignore all that stuff in favour of things that relate more to actual legends & folk-lore (&, sometimes, movies) about vampires & werewolves & stuff.

Haven't you notcied how closely linked vampire is to the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice? And folklore has become clichèd in the story and RPG worlds. Werewolf was a refreshing twist on the 'wolfman' image (which is believed to have been caused by the metabolic diseases collectively know as 'Porphria' [or something like that], which sufferers sought blood to ease the pain) of a strong, hairy man going on a rampage through the woods (which I belief is partially kept by the Red Talons) or cannabals who have a wolfish appearance, or actual shapeshifters who change into a wolf to escape, or whatever lore your culture has (there's so many. I used really get into cultural variations of lore and legend. But there's too many, so I don't do it so often anymore.)

Did you know that there's such a thing as a 'weredeer' that's supposed to roam pennsylvania?

Edit- I've just realise how stupid that clichè thing is. But you know what I mean. (I hope)

Haven't you notcied how closely linked vampire is to the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice?

Yeah - it's a pretty obvious one that, especially as both became popular around the same time. I liked the first three, but Body Thief put me right off. I liked her take on the Mummy too, but the more of her stuff I read, the less I like it. Oh well, just nick the bits I do like & chuck the rest. ::wink

Ok, more than just Garou saw the red star thingy, but I still think the whole thing was cheesy (just an opinion mind).

There's a lot of WoD stuff that I liked to begin with, but which I've come to regard as not so good over the years. Werewolf is one in particular. I find it soon degrades from 'refreshing' to 'very un-werewolf'. The whole Umbra bit is one of the biggest causes - spirit worlds I like, the fact you can physically go there I don't like. Why the heck would any Garou (or Mage for that matter) in their right mind ever stay on earth, let alone foght for it? Earth is the World of Darkness in those games, after all (although not for long I guess ::sly ), wouldn't you prefer to hang-out in one of the nicer Umbral realms? I've kinda' re-written a lot of Werewolf in my head - spirit travel is only done in vision-quest / out of body type ways (each tribe, which are also a bit different in my head, has different methods of doing so - from the American Indian sweat lodge, to the modern virtual reality). The whole 'gifts' thing I've re-done so that all werewolves get some of the more 'werewolf' stuff (like heightened senses, leap of the kangaroo - with a name change to something less stupid, naturally, etc.), & the other 'gifts' are just hedge-magic that werewolves or kinfolk from those traditions / tribes can learn (along with rites & such-like). Generally the whole tribe bit is less emphasized - those groups exist, but most werewolves (or potential werewolves) don't know about them. Oh, & I have potental werewolves becoming such if they're bitten of have sexual contact with another werewolf.

I guess it's not too folk-lore based, now that I think about it, more a combination of the movies & books I like, with a sprinkling of folk-lore & ideas from the game itself.

I've actually worked-out a whole spirit-based cosmology that handily explains all the critters in the WoD, but this post is getting kinda' rambling & off-topic, so I'll stop. ::sleeping

I just want to know what would be left after all of this.

According to their respective beliefs:

Vampires are all going to die...Cain is going to Ravage the world

The world is going to die...The Wyrm is going to rein

Mages are going to be able to shatter reality at whim...

What the hell is going to be left on earth I wonder? I mean...Cain will eat everyone and the werewolves will probably say "screw it" and abandon the Gaia for the Umbra since htey dont have to worry about the avatar storm.

Hmm... I don't know about the werewolves saying "screw it". After all, many, if not a majority of werewolves are die-hard warriors of Gaia. The young werewolves might just leave, but the umbra can be more dangerous than earth, what with the maelstrom, and don't even start me on the deep umbra.

And as for the mages being able to "shatter reality at whim", the marauders could already do that. After all, their ability to resist paradox allowed them to do the most vulgar of magicks with little to no consequences. That's why they're so dangerous.

And can we be sure that Cain is so malevolent? After all, I thought Gehenna was when the antediluvians rose to drain the world, kine and kindred alike. I'm not really a vampire player, but I don't remember the mention of Cain doing the same.

And you forgot Lucifer walking around on Earth. That can't be a good thing.

This is the way I see it (well...how it should happen):

Cain wakes up...

the Antedeluvians wake up...

Cain eats Antedeluvians

Cain eats rest of vampires

Cain eats half of all were-creatures

Were-creatures abandon real world

Cain eats most mages

Some mages acend and become oracles...and go to the umbra never to return

Cain eats changlings

Cain eats demons

Cain eats mummies

Cain eats everything that bothers him

Hunters somehow kill cain with a lucky shot...there is 1 hunter left

Were-creatures come back and eat hunter

Were-creatures win.

But would he eat (well, drain) a fallen angel? Especial one that led a rebellion against god himself? Maybe there would be a collosal battle between lucifer and Cain when Cain attempts to bite...

Mmmm... Armageddon. Man, I just love the sent of Brimstone in the Mid-Afternoon. (actually, I like brimstone. Something to do with me doing chemistry A Level I think)

But would he eat (well, drain) a fallen angel? Especial one that led a rebellion against god himself? Maybe there would be a collosal battle between lucifer and Cain when Cain attempts to bite...

Mmmm... Armageddon. Man, I just love the sent of Brimstone in the Mid-Afternoon. (actually, I like brimstone. Something to do with me doing chemistry A Level I think)

read again:

Cain eats everything that bothers him ::wink

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bahamut,

You got the storyline almost right....

1) Antediluvians(sp?) wake up

2) Chaos ensues & most vampires get eaten

3) Cain wakes up

4) Cain eats the 3rd gens

5) Mages realize he awake & turn him into a lawnchair

Sorry old inside Mage joke ::devilangel

• 4 weeks later...

::ninja Bieng that I'am also a fan of the WOD line of books and also a member of the camarilla , it was stated at S.E.R.E. and at dragoncon that white wolf will not be ending the WOD line simply begining a new era and fresh storylines, eh maybey a d20 tie in- but clearly white wolf would not want to loose it's biggest sellers. I also spooke to a white wolf stafer and pleaded my case for more trinity books...........He laughed at me and walked away! ::ninja

Welcome to the forums avatar_12 ::smiley5 .

I also spooke to a white wolf stafer and pleaded my case for more trinity books...........He laughed at me and walked away!

d20 Adventure! will be released shortly after the end of the (current) WoD, followed by d20Aberrant and d20Trinity...

http://www.swordsorcery.com/swordsorcery/p..._Continuum.html

My guess is that in the last book Divis Mal will come out of the sky laughing "suprise! it was me the whole time.

Then all the really angsty goths will kill themselves for having invested so much time and money into what turned out to be a superhero game. Then White Wolf will ressurect the Aberant Product line and everyone will rejoice (except the goths)

Archived