Trinity Universe: The Lost Treasure of Sir Henry Morgan

Asbjørn

"Right, gentlemen - if we all have th' sleep out o' our eyes now - you best both follow me t' th' flying machine."

David stares at the piles of photographs books and artifacts for a moment and reluctantly turns to the captain and nods "Understood" and follows behind.

Heading over to talk to the men readying the vehicle, the others notice that the Captain takes a brief moment to check his trusty Webley revolver, before pulling on his 'great coat', gloves, & slipping a pair of aviator goggles on under his peaked captain's hat.

David places his hand on his own Lebel 1873 revolver, just making sure it's there and regretting he isn't wearing another layer, recalling his last ride in an aircraft, leaving him a light shade of blue.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As he climbs into the cockpit, Phil notes that although there are some clouds overhead none of them seem to have any rain in mind, and there's hardly a breeze in the air. Takeoff should be routine. It would of course be better if he had a little more routine flying the finished vessel in stead of just a few trial runs, but there should be no cause for concern...

Once he's in the pilot's seat and firmly strapped into its custom-made restraints, Phil begins the start-up procedure, sticking strictly to his checklist, and double-checking every guage and dial. As the engine starts up, a muffled roar can be heard outside. Then, with a series of whining groans, the transmission engages, and the large twin rotors that together run almost the entire length of the craft, rising from a complicated looking assembly in the center of the roof begin to turn, slowly at first, but with growing speed. His hands firmly grasping the brass-plated rubber-handled control stick that rises from the floor, and his feet resting lightly on the two equally sized pedals, Philip takes a deep breath of the grass-and-maple scented air of the cockpit, says a quick prayer, and moves the pedals and stick the correct combination for a vertical take-off.

1st Airborne

Sounds of grinding metal, hydraulics and pumps accompany the slow opening of the Nausicaa’s aft bay doors. Water fills the small pool, lifting the autogyro slowly and steadily until it floats level with the floor of the chamber.

The giant submarine is at the surface, still running at speed, and the pilot and his passengers see the evening sky of the Caribbean overhead. A few clouds are lit from below by the setting sun, and there’s a fair wind from the west.

When the vehicle is ready the Captain and his passengers – Roughneck once again clad in his trusty old leather jacket – climb aboard and settle in, with various degrees of ease. After going through the necessary pre-takeoff checklist Park starts the engine. The roar of the well-oiled engine resounds in the chamber as the old sailor-turned-pilot eases the flying machine forward. As the three adventurers leave the confines of the Nausicaa they fully feel the fresh sea breeze for what feels like the first time in weeks. The waters directly outside the vehicle bay are smooth and easy sailing, but only twenty yards or so behind the great vessel the water is churning from the thrust of the propeller engines on either side of the ship.

Firmly accelerating straight out from the vehicle bay, the captain guides the aircraft with a steady hand towards the red rays of the setting sun. As the speed builds the overhead rotors start turning, and just as the skids jump on the first choppy waves the vehicle lifts from the surface. Climbing fast, the craft comes around half-circle and flies due west. As the three pass over the Nausicaa both Roughneck and David notice that the craft really does resemble a gigantic devil ray. In fact, with the sunlight playing on the water the shadowy form – most of it still beneath the waves – seems almost alive.

Once airborne and on the right course our heroes make good time, and soon a sailing ship comes into view ahead. Closing quickly from behind, Park routinely notes her measurements. She looks to be about 160 feet, schooner rigged with two masts and a beam of 30 feet or so, and she’s making good speed considering the load she seems to be carrying. Several canvas covered rectangular shapes are stored on the deck – suggesting that the storerooms below are full – and a few moving figures can be seen around them and in the rigging working the ropes and pulleys according to the helmsman’s orders.

IPB Image

2nd Airborne

To the sailors’ wonder and amazement, the Zephyr gracefully rises from the deck of the Athena. In the cockpit, Phil is too busy calculating distances and keeping his hands steady to fully appreciate the ease with which the craft takes off and hovers over the freighter’s crew, but a glance at the eyes following his every maneuver sends all doubt of his own skills flying. For now, anyway. A small, carefully executed adjustment of the stick banks the aircraft to the right, taking him out above the sea and towards the island. Some of the sailors wave as he leaves the ship behind and heads for the dark shores ahead. A single light blinks to guide the way.

The Blessed

She smiles grimly. "He may be blessed by Baron Samedi, but the loas themselves work through me. We shall see who is stronger."

“We shall indeed…”

“But do not think he is the only one, child. The young ones say that his gift can be shared, that he can give them the Loa’s blessing and make them stronger than before. And not just Baron Samedi, either. They say he speaks with Ogun, and Papa Legba even… Some say that he’s given some of the mambos who came to him Erzulie’s blessings too.”

The old priest looks at Desiree in silence for a few seconds. It seems almost as if he’s forgotten his own words and strayed from his train of thought, but then he clears his throat again.

“Ahem. Simon is a good son. And he is a lot more active than me these days. He goes around and talks to the people, keeps an eye on things. And checks up on rumours now and then. He mentioned an old friend of his having turned to Mr Saturday’s ways. He wants to go and talk to him, but I’ve held him from it. They say the man is blessed by Dambalah, and the youngsters who usually go with Simon don’t dare face him. I won’t let him go alone.”

There is no question spoken, but the old man’s eyes rest on Desiree’s face as if expecting an answer…

• 2 weeks later...

As the Albatross takes to the air the old Captain lets forth an almost childlike 'whoop' of delight, grinning as he calls to the others,

"What d' ya' know - th' son o' a bitch will fly!" ::wink

As the flying machine comes upon the schooner Park calls out again, thanks to many years of practice his voice pitched just right to be clearly overheard above the noise of the winds,

"What say we take a closer look, lads? If they start t' shoot at us, we'll know we're on th' right track!" ::sly

Not waiting for a reply, the Captain banks the Albatross into a low, slow, flypast of the boat. For himself Park will make sure to note the vessel's name, port, & any flags she's flying - trusting that his passengers have wits enough to take note of details significant to their own specialities.

• 2 weeks later...

David feels uneasy about flying and it shows as his brief moment of exaltation is quickly overridden by his more cautious nature. Flying is about as far from his element as he can imagine, as with all situations he likes to have more than one option should something unexpected take place, *And something unexpected always does* , in the air the only option that comes to mind ends in a sudden thud or in this case splash. Still being made of sterner stuff than, as the Americans say, a regular Clyde, he tries to take in the view and ignore his sense of impending doom.

"What say we take a closer look, lads? If they start t' shoot at us, we'll know we're on th' right track!" ::sly

Not waiting for a reply, the Captain banks the Albatross into a low, slow, flypast of the boat.

"Well pehaps we shou... ::blink ... nevermind, Captain" *Yes indeed, something always comes up* ::rolleyes

"What say we take a closer look, lads? If they start t' shoot at us, we'll know we're on th' right track!" 

Not waiting for a reply, the Captain banks the Albatross into a low, slow, flypast of the boat. For himself Park will make sure to note the vessel's name, port, & any flags she's flying - trusting that his passengers have wits enough to take note of details significant to their own specialities.

Roughneck, having a much more delightful time than he'd anticipated, roars back at their pilot before beginning his own inspection. "Aye, Cap'n!"

Taking in the view as the Captain does his flyby, he scans for any weaponry, how many crew are active and visible, and how low the craft is in the water. The sailor in him admires the grace of the ship as it slices through crest after crest.

Flyby

"What say we take a closer look, lads? If they start t' shoot at us, we'll know we're on th' right track!" 

Not waiting for a reply, the Captain banks the Albatross into a low, slow, flypast of the boat.

As the aircraft closes with the ship the captain routinely notes the name, and checks the flags she's running under. She's clearly identified as the Yemanja of Port-au-Prince, and is flying the red and blue Haitian colours.

Already turning towards the noise of the aircraft, the sailors stop their work and stare at the Albatross as the captain runs her past the port side of the ship. As they pass the helm the three flyers see the helmsman grab a voice tube and shout something into it. Then he shades his eyes with one hand and watches the autogyro's flightpath along the ship's side. The men watching from the deck and rigging make no attempts to hide or reach for hidden weapons, although a few of them glance towards the helmsman as if waiting for an order. Unlike most crews in these waters, there's not one hispanic or white man among them.

As Parks brings the aircraft around the prow of the ship, Roughneck counts five men in the rigging and seven on the deck. None of them appear to be armed, and there is no mounted weaponry on the vessel. The canvas- and tarpaulin-covered cargo between the masts are securely chained and strapped to the deck

By the time the aircraft is nearing a full circling of the ship, more men appear on the deck. A couple of them are better dressed than the common crewmen, and the man who appears to be in charge picks up a pair of binoculars and studies the Albatross as it passes, while giving a few orders to the men. Two of them hurry below and the others quickly return to their posts. Some of them take up position along the rail, with one eye on the flying machine and the other on their captain.

Promises

"Of course I shall go," Desiree promises, gripping the old man's hand. "I would not do anything less."

The old man smiles, relieved. ::smile

"Bless you, child... Louis!!"

The younger Chevalier calls back from the kitchen

"Yes, papa?"

"Send someone to get Simon. Desiree wants to talk to him. Make sure he understands it's important."

Louis nods and smiles briefly at Desiree before he disappears inside again. When he's gone Henri sits back in silence for a few seconds, just breathing the evening air, before he takes Desiree's hand in his and says

"He shouldn't be too long. Meanwhile, you must tell me everything, child. How have you been?"

Later...

Close to an hour later, after telling tales of old times, exchanging news and generally catching up, Desiree hears a car pulling into the garden and coming to a halt by the old stable. An older version of Louis comes walking up the path to the house, and she recognizes Simon Chevalier from her earlier years in Haiti. He's as tall as his brother and father, but heavier built and stronger. It's partly his build that commands attention and respect, but also the way he walks and smiles. Even though he was a grownup and she was just a young girl at the time her reputation blossomed, she couldn't help being a bit taken with the handsome houngan.

When he approaches the porch, he seems changed. Even though the years since she saw him last are few, he seems older. The smile isn't there anymore, and when he greets his father his voice is polite and friendly, but colder than it used to be.

"Desiree. How are you, girl?"

"Erzuli has sent her. She will go with you, and the spirits' blessings be on your task."

::huh "So you've changed your mind, papa? I'm glad to hear it."

Turning back to Desiree he looks her up and down for a second, then smiles and says

"She is with you... Or at least someone is. That much I can see."

"I'm going to talk to a man who used to be a friend. I don't think he is anymore. He might be dangerous. Are you afraid?"

In the cockpit of the Zephyr Philip allows himself a small smile at having managed the take-off so smoothly. His eyes flicking between the controls and the blinking light in the distance, he carefully guides the craft towards its destination. A sense of freedom and calmness fills him, his mind slowing down for once as his usually frenetic thoughts focus entirely on the flying. He thinks to himself that every day should be like this.

As he gets closer to his destination, Phil tries to make out the configuration of the boathouse he's headed for. Is there an open roof for landing, he wonders, or should I land on the water and take her in in boat mode?

As he gets closer to his destination, Phil tries to make out the configuration of the boathouse he's headed for. Is there an open roof for landing, he wonders, or should I land on the water and take her in in boat mode?

The dark shores ahead come steadily closer, and soon Phil can make out the shape of a house among the trees overlooking the small bay the blinking light comes from. As the Zephyr rapidly closes the distance he can make out the signalling man standing on the pier, as well as the boathouse behind him. Its wide doors are open to the sea, and the now steady beam of light clearly shows that the best approach to the landing is from the seaside.

The boathouse seems to be more than big enough for storage and maintenance of most of the vehicle's features, but unfortunately not large enough to safely land in - at least not without careful study of the prevailing wind conditions and the exact dimensions of the roof first.

The man on the pier aids Phil's approach, giving signals and directions like he's never done anything else his entire life.

"Of course I am afraid. When dealing with the loas, one always must be possessed of a healthy amount of fear," Desiree answers with a faint smile. "But I will not let it prevent me from my duties and promises."

She grips Henri's hand once before rising, her face set. "Pray to the loas for us, old friend," she asks quietly. She then smoothes down her faded green skirt, gives her white blouse a twitch to straighten it out and adjusts her green-printed headscarf.

"I am ready. Let's go."

"I am ready. Let's go."

A brief nod is the only reply she gets before Simon turns and walks towards his car, a battered old truck with mudsmeared tyres and sides. As soon as Desiree is in the passenger seat, he turns the ignition and backs it out of the backyard garden and out onto the streets. As they drive through the streets at a relatively slow speed, Simon says

"I am glad you are here, Desiree. But right now I would have been even happier if Ogun was with you instead of Erzuli... ::sly This could become dangerous."

The truck passes an american military jeep with a few soldiers in it, before turning a corner onto a wider street and speeding up towards the outskirts of town.

"His name is Malachi. He believes in our people, and he's said before that the only way for Haiti to be strong and independent is through Mr Saturday. I haven't talked to him in a while, but I've heard that he's joined his cause. If he has I don't really know what to do. At least I'll know, I guess." ::confused

"Papa thinks he might try to win me over or kill me. I don't think it will go that far, but I hate being unprepared. Do you know how to use one of these?"

Simon reaches between their seats and picks up a worn doctor's bag that he sets down on the seat next to Desiree. In it are two revolvers.

"I think maybe the best way to do it is if he don't know you're with me. How about I let you off before we reach the house, and you have a look around the place while I talk to him?"

• 2 weeks later...

"I fear that I do not," Desiree answers grimly, "But there is something that you forget... I am also the horse of Dantor, the avenger of women."

The pretty woman grins a trifle wolfishly. "Sounds like a good idea. I will do my best to be in range if you need help."

• 1 month later...

Confidence fueled by the lack of getting shot at yet (he's usually diving for cover by now...), Captain Park circles the vessel again - looking for a place to test the autogyro's reported abilities to land in really small spaces...

... If such a space presents itself he will, indeed, attempt to land. Otherwise he'll try to assertain which direction the ship is heading in, & what its probably destination might be, & steer the flying contraption there instead...

The man on the pier aids Phil's approach, giving signals and directions like he's never done anything else his entire life.

Phil follows the man's signals and carefully brings the Zephyr in for a soft landing on the water in front of the boathouse.

• 2 weeks later...
Two of them hurry below and the others quickly return to their posts. Some of them take up position along the rail, with one eye on the flying machine and the other on their captain.

*Well, what do you make of that?* A sense of caution comes to David, attmpting to keep a level head he tells himself they could just be going to get something to signal them. However, his trusting nature loses out, *They're going for weapons and are going to shoot us out of the sky* he needs comfirmation.

Calling out loud enough to be heard over the engine and wind "Captain, those men that just went below deck, what would you have sent them to do if the situation was reversed and you were their captain?" .

Archived