Aberrant: Quantum Zero - QZ - game mechanics

Asbjørn

You'll know about Taint when (sorry... 'if'... ::devil ) your characters start sprouting tenticles or glowing greenly... ::sly

In-character no-one really knows about 'Taint' anyway (despite what one player presumed he'd been told at the Rashoud Facility - I name no names ::wink ). The characters will have heard of aberrations & maybe even Quantum Backlash Disorder, but not Taint - & will have no idea that it should be avoided until it hits them (with a new aberration).

It's kinda' one of the reasons that the whole 'golden age of Novas' eventually goes belly-up. ::squid

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The characters will have heard of aberrations & maybe even Quantum Backlash Disorder, but not Taint - & will have no idea that it should be avoided until it hits them (with a new aberration).

Or with a taint-addled berserker polar bear nova. Whichever comes first. ::sly ::squid

OK, new topic.

Alex now has attune. He also has lots of soak ( ::shocked ) and Bodymorph ( ::shocked ).

He is carrying magnesium "road" flares (which can burn underwater), an ear mike, compass, and some night vision glasses.

If Alex attunes all this and then transforms, what happens? Do the flares work? The other stuff?

If he falls, do they get his soak?

Can he unattune one flare without unattuning the rest?

If Alex attunes all this and then transforms, what happens? Do the flares work? The other stuff?

Attunement shouldn't really stop anything from working.

Yes & no - mostly no. Attunement basically only extends the Nova's own power immunity (that is - the fact his own powers don't damage him) to the Attuned thing, although it can have a few more effects in certain cases (like enabling a Teleporter to Teleport Attuned stuff). Most Soak won't transfer to Attuned equipment, but Attuned stuff is considered to be protected by a Force Field (or similar) that the Nova has up - so that Soak will cover it.

Yes.

I'm not sure whether Attuned stuff would BM with him, or just not be damaged by the BM. I'll have another read of the books & get back to you on that. ::confused

He also has lots of soak.

I can attest that he does indeed have lots of soak. ::blink ::wink

For some reason I always assumed that his flesh body just assumed a fugue state while the dark matter formed a whole bunch of armor around him.. God knows where I got that idea. So his body actually does morph into the matter?

Quick question...

I can lift metal objects up to 40kg with my storm. Can I pick up something larger...say...a human, if they have multiple metal objects of low weight?

For example:

Soldier 1 has a rifle (10 kg), a pistol (3 kg), a belt buckle (<1 kg), some metals (<1 kg), a Zippo Lighter (<1 kg) and some extra clips (2 kg)

Thats about 16.5 kg (give or take). I could potentially lift 240 kg with that many items. The difference in weight...223.5 kg.

If the person and all other items he is carrying weighs less then the 223.5 kg...will he get picked up and tossed around like a rag doll untill thoes metal items are removes, or enough removed so that he "falls" out of the storm?

IMO, Attunement allows you to attune your powers to something else within the weight limit, so that they are either protected, or unaffected, by your powers, without exception.

Examples (Attunement 5, 100kg):

You could extend your Forcefield around an additional person.

Allow someone to Fly (ala Superman I).

Extend Immolation around a person to prevent people attacking them.

Bodymorph someone else into water when you shift.

Use Density Decrease on a wall so that others could pass through it (ala Mutant X).

Loads more examples, they're just off the top of my head.

Having checked the books re-Attunement I see that you can't Attune Mega-Attributes or Enhancements or Powers which include drastic physical alterations of the body (like Claws, Body Modifications or Armour). On the other hand, the example (Density Decrease used on a bomb), indicates that you can 'pass-on' certain powers to Attuned things (even though Density Decrease already has an 'affects others' Extra & the APG Attunement stuff says you should have either / or - Oh well, typical WW I guess ::confused ).

With most Powers Attunement will still only grant the Nova's personal power immunity - you can't Attune a friend & expect them to start flinging your Quantum Bolts for you - but they would be immune to those Bolts themselves (handy if you have the Area Extra ::wink ).

The 'grey area' seems to involve powers with a normal range of 'Self' that do wierd stuff to your body (but not growing Claws & stuff) - such as Teleport, Density Control, etc..

I figure the best test is the 'Nova nudity test' - that is to say, we presume that Attunement was put in the game to prevent constant Nova nudity due to ripped or lost costumes / clothes. So, if the Attuned clothes would need to be 'empowered' to prevent Nova nudity, then Attunement must empower stuff for that particular Power. So, Teleport, Sizemorph, Density Decrease, Shapeshift, & yes - Bodymorph, all must 'empower' Attuned things (as in the 'extension of the Nova's own body' text).

Some Powers are even more iffy - the text states you can Attune someone & let your Force Field cover them (even though, again, that pretty much duplicates the effects of a Force Field Extra ::confused ), but you can't do the same with Armour (even though you can define your Armour as a force-field...).

Duration - Permanent is a good indicator. If the Power, with a range of Self, has a duration of Permanent, then chances are Attunement won't pass it on (i.e. Armour or Body Modification). Otherwise, if the Power has a range of Self & a non-Permanent duration, chances are you can pass it on via Attunement - although not in all cases (such as Claws, & - I would suggest - Boost).

So - to go back to the original questions again:

No - everything becomes Dark Matter (so the flares aren't flares - chemically speaking - any more, the radio isn't electronics anymore, etc.). They change back to normal, with no extra ill-effects from having been converted into Dark Matter, when un-Attuned, or even when put down (Attunement only works for things that are touched). He'll need a DMD-sized headset radio specially made...

Not all of it - that from Stamina & Mega-Stamina, Armour, etc. they don't get - Soak from certain other powers (Force Field, Density Increase, Growth, etc.) they do receive.

Yes. The simplest way is to just put it down, but he can also just decide it's not Attuned any more (although to re-Attune it would cost an additional QP).

I really hope this makes some kind of sense... ::wacko

I can lift metal objects up to 40kg with my storm. Can I pick up something larger...say...a human, if they have multiple metal objects of low weight?

No - you can pick up loose metal objects up to 40 kg, those held down by something heavy then weigh more than 40 kg. At most you'll be exerting 40 kg of force on them (around Strength 2) with some extra speed-based force, so some may rip free (shirt buttons for example), other will require an opposed Might test (a gun in an opponent's hand) whilst others can't be lifted / ripped free at all (a heavy padlock on a hanger door). However, since damage for the Magnetic Storm increases with power rating, I'd say it's fair to rule that an opposing Might roll needs to roll more successes than your power rating (power rating isn't rolled, it's just a target) to hold onto a 40 kg or less ferrous object.

(even though Density Decrease already has an 'affects others' Extra & the APG Attunement stuff says you should have either / or - Oh well, typical WW I guess  ).

I see the Affect Other being a specific enhancement for a specific power.

And, frankly, the 100kg limit is a bit harsh. As a case in point, it would mean that no Nova in the world could protect me with their Force Field purely through Attunement, as I weigh 123kg (roughly), but I could be affected via the Affect Other extra. ::biggrin

No - you can pick up loose metal objects up to 40 kg, those held down by something heavy then weigh more than 40 kg. At most you'll be exerting 40 kg of force on them (around Strength 2) with some extra speed-based force, so some may rip free (shirt buttons for example), other will require an opposed Might test (a gun in an opponent's hand) whilst others can't be lifted / ripped free at all (a heavy padlock on a hanger door). However, since damage for the Magnetic Storm increases with power rating, I'd say it's fair to rule that an opposing Might roll needs to roll more successes than your power rating (power rating isn't rolled, it's just a target) to hold onto a 40 kg or less ferrous object.

It is worse than that. Soliders in the storm will have a -2 diff for all actions. That would include their might roll. They will also be taking damage (which will likely give them another -1 or more diff).

Similarly, people in the storm will have a -2 to shoot him (although those outside the storm could do so normally, ignoring for the moment range and cover considerations).

Storm is a concentration power. That means it can stay up basically forever. For this situation it is also our primary weapon and we should make as much of it as possible. I think he should just cover as much of the base as he can and let everyone suffer for it.

Vinnie (Mr. Mobility) should just stay away from it. If Guy has enough soak to take a big fall then the storm won't do much to him (although he might want get approprate gear for it). A -2 to Alex's might won't stop him from throwing tanks. Alloy could still run through airships and buildings.

There's no way a human sized nova should be going into that storm. Even if you're tough enough to take it, constantly being hit by 40kg objects would be VERY ANNOYING as you'd be knocked off your feet constantly. This would be especially bad if you're trying to plant EXPLOSIVES!!! ::cool

I'm experiencing huge lag-bunnies here, so I may not post much tonight... ::confused

Hey Prof, just wonderring about Bahamut's \"hurricane\", if he is shot at would the hurricane be treated as moderate to heavy cover?

Generally speaking there will be targeting difficulties for aiming through the storm (depending on the amount of metal around).

It is worse than that. Soliders in the storm will have a -2 diff for all actions. That would include their might roll. They will also be taking damage (which will likely give them another -1 or more diff).

Similarly, people in the storm will have a -2 to shoot him (although those outside the storm could do so normally, ignoring for the moment range and cover considerations).

Yes & no (that's +2 Difficulty, right?). You generally don't have to roll Might if your dice pool for the Ability exceeds the target by 1. So, anyone with a Might pool of (in this case) 6 will be able to hang on to their objects easily. With a Might pool of 5 or less they'll have to roll (with the Difficulty penalty). An average soldier probably has a Strength of 3 & a Might of 1, so most will be loosing their guns.

The +2 Difficulty most definitely applies to Firearms rolls. I'm guessing Lodestone will want to have his Magnetic Shield up as well (which actually subtracts 4 successes, as opposed to just adding to the difficulty - which makes it easy to botch metal-based attacks against the guy). All-in-all pretty darn tricky to shoot (not impossible, but hardly likely).

8Bor 8L is nothing to laugh at for a baseline.

It's nothing to laugh at unless you're a Nova with a Soak of 16 or more ('Puny Human'). 'Luckily' for the other Novas (who need something to do, right? ::biggrin ) Magnetic Storm specifically states anybody in the storm takes damage, not anything, so generally only soft-targets (i.e. people) will take damage (although objects will at least take a beating it won't be knocking down walls in a hurry).

I see the Affect Other being a specific enhancement for a specific power.

Er... it is. The APG Attunement sections states that it's up to the ST which powers can be passed on via Attunement & which need the Extra - but uses an Attunement example for a power (Density Decrease) that has such an Extra available. It's either badly worded or badly edited (I guess we'll never know) - either way it's pretty typical WW! ::wink

For this situation it is also our primary weapon and we should make as much of it as possible. I think he should just cover as much of the base as he can and let everyone suffer for it.

Try Maxing & applying any successes to increase the area if you want to do that. It still won't help you against The Great Cthulhu ::squid ! Bwahahahahah!!! Oops, sorry, wrong game... ::tongue

Try Maxing & applying any successes to increase the area if you want to do that. It still won't help you against The Great Cthulhu  ! Bwahahahahah!!! Oops, sorry, wrong game... 

Yes...I could do that...with 4 dice...I would hopefully get 2 sucesses for 160 meters covered...or for us americans...542.4 feet...

(Yeah, I was getting real bad lag times too...)

(which actually subtracts 4 successes, as opposed to just adding to the difficulty - which makes it easy to botch metal-based attacks against the guy).
Subtracting succ does not a botch cause. Regardless of difficulty, the actual die roll is what gives out a botch (although if they are trying to shoot you, a simple failure should be enough).

On a different subject...

I'd like to mention to everyone that Alex doesn't have any aberrations (specifically "Anima Banner").

Subtracting succ does not a botch cause.  Regardless of difficulty, the actual die roll is what gives out a botch (although if they are trying to shoot you, a simple failure should be enough).

It doesn't matter how many 1's you roll. As long as you get at least one success, you ignore any 1's. So if you subtract successes, there's a bigger chance your 1's will count and make you botch.

On a different subject...

I'd like to mention to everyone that Alex doesn't have any aberrations (specifically \"Anima Banner\").

You know... I haven't played much aberrant. Actually, Blaze and Ghost are the first aberrant characters I've ever made, and I keep getting surprised at how many loopholes there seems to be in the system... Or maybe it's just that you guys are better at building working power combinations than me. Either way, I'm amazed at how tough DMD is.

Or maybe it's just that you guys are better at building working power combinations than me.

It's really all down to concept.

I've got some friends who are not that great at envisioning stuff, so they'll flick through the book and pick out things they like.

The way I do it is that I come up with a concept for the char, and then it's simply mapping the mechanics onto the abilities I want.

I'm amazed at how tough DMD is.

Why thank you.

DMD is a soak machine, pure and simple. The vast amount of his points were spent on soak. He'll be even tougher if I ever get regen for him. Regen is not technically a soak enhancing power so obviously I haven't picked it up yet.

It doesn't matter how many 1's you roll. As long as you get at least one success, you ignore any 1's. So if you subtract successes, there's a bigger chance your 1's will count and make you botch.
I think that is succ on the die roll. Subtracting succ doesn't change the fact that you still rolled one.

I think that is succ on the die roll. Subtracting succ doesn't change the fact that you still rolled one.

I think it does - otherwise it'd be just the same as an added Difficulty, so why not list it as such? Very few things actually subtract successes - Magnetic Shield being one of them. I think an increased chance for a metal-based attack to botch is in-keeping with the power - it's deflecting attacks, not Soaking them, so there's going to be a bigger chance of (for example) shooting a friend instead of the Magnetic Mastery character.

If you roll 4 successes against a +4 difficulty you've still rolled the successes, you just haven't achieved the required number of successes (in this case 5).

If you roll 4 successes then subtract 4 you've rolled zero successes, if you rolled a 1 as well, then you've Botched.

OK, time for some brain storming.

Question: How do we get out? Stuck in North K, probably not wanting to fight every inch of the way back, I see two ways.

1) Loadstone uses TK, grabs a thing of metal, and we do a flying carpet routine back.

This might work if we are next to the sea.

Problems: It is slow, easy to pick us off, and pretty vunerable.

2) Vinnie ports us.

Doing the math, assuming that he comes with us, doesn't do *any* ports (including to the ground), and that he has a pool of 30 (?), this almost works. He would be 2q shy, and could presumably burn a life level for that.

It would help a lot if one or 2 of us could make it out on our own. Perhaps loadstone could fly (again, if the base is next to the shore then this might work) and/or Alloy could run home.

Another alternative is that we wait an hour or two somewhere while Vinnie recharges.

Please tell me I'm missing something.

OK, time for some brain storming.

Question:  How do we get out?  Stuck in North K, probably not wanting to fight every inch of the way back, I see two ways.

1) Loadstone uses TK, grabs a thing of metal, and we do a flying carpet routine back.

This might work if we are next to the sea.

Problems: It is slow, easy to pick us off, and pretty vunerable.

2) Vinnie ports us.

Doing the math, assuming that he comes with us, doesn't do *any* ports (including to the ground), and that he has a pool of 30 (?), this almost works.  He would be 2q shy, and could presumably burn a life level for that.

It would help a lot if one or 2 of us could make it out on our own.  Perhaps loadstone could fly (again, if the base is next to the shore then this might work) and/or Alloy could run home.

Another alternative is that we wait an hour or two somewhere while Vinnie recharges.

Please tell me I'm missing something.

Thing is...if Im going to protect myself during the storm (i.e. magnetic shield) im going to be tapped out also. If Im dropped at one corner of the base and max out...considering hte suprise I dont need the shield.

im not sure how out of combat maintenance works...but I can fly at 160 km/h by myself and MK about 40 meters per action...thats not too fast but if we do our job throughly enough we shouldent need speed.

Another option....

We can be carried to a loading point by DMD and/or Alloy. This one would more depend on the distance to the S. Korea border/distance to the sea.

Im sure we could get more distance this way though.

Er.... I think we've had a case of misunderstanding here. I know I got the impression flying at high altitude wouldn't be a problem, and i thought that was the plan Guy agreed to.

We did talk a lot about establishing LZ's for pickup after the job. I think the idea that the stealth aircraft was too expensive somehow wasn't connected to our need to get out as well.

Yes, I could port everybody out, but then I'd be pretty much useless on the job.

I think the best we can do is just go back and say "er, yes we forgot... we're gonna need an excape chopper too." In my mind that had already been said, but somehow I can't find it in the posts... ::blush

1) Are any of us pilots? Alex is not.

2) RE: DMD carrying us.

Sorry. Mobility doesn't enhance soak, so Alex has none (you may see a pattern here). ::wink

Although I'm actually planning on buying some non soak stuff in the future.

3) Vinnie porting us out.

Porting some of us out (especially over a period of time) is still an option. These are rough mountains right? How hard would it be to hide for an hour or two? Do any of us have lots of survival skills?

Oh? Ok...I thought that was right out too.

Hmmm...I cant pilot anything but a car.

If we cant think of anything else I may be able to get one more favor from Andy vance. Im streaching that though. I still havent payed him back for that other favor.

I dont think a hook up with a warper would be that bad though...

Anyone else have any idea's?

Sorry. Mobility doesn't enhance soak, so Alex has none (you may see a pattern here). 

Although I'm actually planning on buying some non soak stuff in the future.

I thought you had Size morph (growth)? That gives you M-Str. Just grow, pick us up and walk us away. that would get us to a pick up site im sure.

Actually, Joe should be able to carry most of you...DMD might be problem unless he reverted to normal size. Provided the border is close enough, Joe could theoretically haul ass and make into S. Korea before pursuit caught up.

As for hiding out for an hour or two, that might work, give certain members of the team time to rebuild some QP. Re: Survival skills...Joe's your man. He can pretty easily manage any wilderness issues. He also has Navigation, so we shouldn't get lost, but a map of the area wouldn't hurt. Besides, I think Lodestone can do the "which way is north" bit pretty easy with Magnetic Mastery.

I thought you had Size morph (growth)?  That gives you M-Str.  Just grow, pick us up and walk us away.  that would get us to a pick up site im sure.

My walking speed is only +2 m / action more than a baseline.

Actually, Joe should be able to carry most of you...DMD might be problem unless he reverted to normal size. Provided the border is close enough, Joe could theoretically haul ass and make into S. Korea before pursuit caught up.
If we go over land this is a problem. The boarder between South and North K is the most heavily fortified in the World. Think of miles of mines, soliders, etc, on both sides. Within the last 10 years North K has been *still* known to try to sneak assassins across. These two countries are still technically at war, and at some places it is more than a technicallity.
As for hiding out for an hour or two, that might work, give certain members of the team time to rebuild some QP. Re: Survival skills...Joe's your man. He can pretty easily manage any wilderness issues. He also has Navigation, so we shouldn't get lost, but a map of the area wouldn't hurt. Besides, I think Lodestone can do the \"which way is north\" bit pretty easy with Magnetic Mastery.
Given rough terran, Joe's hypermovement and survival skills, and assuming we do a good job on the base, this has potential.

I always assumed there'd be a pick up chopper once we'd taken out the rader - hence the questions on how close to the border it is - and it is supposed to be close to the DMZ. I also assumed that we could jump out of a high altitude transport. But that option was dangled in front of us, but doesn't look like its available any more as Ms Cable seemed to get more and more enamoured with her stealth plane. I'm sure DVTS is getting a large slice of that 'fee'!!! ::angry

Basically it looks like we're being asked to kill about a thousand soldiers and armaments for pie and chips money... what's going on!?!? ::tongue If Guy's going to commit mass-murder he wants to at least feel guilty all the way to the bank.

Actually, somewhere in the description of Magnetic Mastery, there's a blurb about being able to tell which way is north by sensing the polar magnetic fields. I don't remember the precise wording though. Check it out if you have the book.

Archived