Aberrant RPG - More on the MetaPlot and What is my pupose in life ?

I have read the posts on the previous mataplot topic but it doesn't really answer my question...forgive me if this has been discussed before but I am the new boy....

Can someone give me a brief but not too brief synopsis of what happens after 2008 and up to when the aberrant all leave earth...What starts the war? , Why do they leave?...are there rival aberrant factions after they leave?, surely they don't all leave together....(Pax and Mal flying off into space holding hands and leaving the ungrateful humans behind just doesn't sit well with me.)

Are all of these yet to be reveal to everyone or am I missing something?

Do all aberrant just go mad with taint and leave earth is no-one saved?

This leads me to my second question...Although neither me nor my players are adverse to a little fatalism however, it appears to me that the end of aberrant is a little too conclusive...I mean big war and then they leave...what happens after that from an aberrant perspective?, where do they go for 40 years? I mean it does give your players a limited timescale and reduces there interest because they know the end is inevitably nigh!

My players have also asked me "what is my motivation?" not just on a small timescale but in the grand scheme of things...I mean Vamp has Galcona and Mage Ascension are aberrants truly direction less, surely they question the reason for there existence spiritual as well as in a genetics sense....

------------------

----------------

Breath and.......Relax

Cadaver, what we believe happened is that the novas initially start fighting among themselves. It is the destruction they caused that brings the nations of the world to the battlefield. The distinction of who started what isn't known.

Even after the war began, novas fought on both sides. There doesn't seem to be an us versus them mentality on the part of the novas. Only after the Chinese began using nukes to devastate the planet and promised to wipe out everything (that could be killed by a nuke or by living on a lifeless rock) did Divis Mal step forward and promise to take the novas to the stars. Whatever else Mal's intentions were, he didn't plan to eradicate all life on earth. The rest of the nova population that was left decided to throw in the towel either because they were tired of fighting, coerced, or they were followers of Mal. Apparently, Utopia had been disbanded and Ceastus Pax discredited as a leader of the nova population by this time. That is why I feel a Utopian game is the darkest and most tragic.

As for a reason for being, what about trying to stop the upcoming war? War is likely, but not inevitable. The group could try to head off flashpoints and give others hope.

yea. well, Some Aberrants do go mad with taint Like Mungo Kuwasha whose battle with Synapse Destroyed the Opnet.

the most plotline has been revealed so far in the Worldwide books which I haven't seen. But I do know that Randal Portman became President (from the Players GUide) and after thhe Novas left some of them founded a colony on a planet called Eden where they live relatively peacfully and don't seem to be monsterous in the least (I assume this is Mal's baby but there's no mention of if he's connected to it or not) and another group presumeably led by someone called the Colony who attacks earth again in the trinity Time Line.

ANd if you don't like the Timeline by all means change it.

I don't know. I was only postulating. Creating a Nova Homeland sounds Mal'icious to me. I actually haven't read the Darkness revealed trilogy just the appendix to the Trinity softcover. I don't remember if that mentioned any specific novas. but you know Mal has be alive in the trinity timeline and working on that quantum 10. mmmm quantum 10... drool...

Cadaver, about the question of what is the purpose in life of each player, I think that Aberrant don't state one predetermined for all players. Instead, it lets every player choose. There are some predetermined (if a player set his allegiance with a powerfull organization like Utopia or Aberrants) or one can choose his. Free to choose.

In our campaign, we have a nova that works as a city defender that wants to improve his abilities to save the world avoiding taint, one Teragen that wants to improve his abilities gaining taint, a nova Directive that wants the above Teragen dead, a nova that works for the USA army to prepare it for a nova conflict (and he don't know the evolution of the metaplot...), and a nova that wants to become an XWF champion simply to be famous.

This, soon or later, will lead to conflicts in the group, but I have warned the players as we start playing, and this could lead to interesting situations... Maybe one day someone could come up dead, or the group will split and some players would have to make new characters. This is the price of freedom!

If this is good for you, ok, if this isn't, simply have your players all choose a similar allegiance, so that everyone has similar purpose.

42 indeed...Douglas Adams died this weekend in case anyone hadn't heard.

-----WARNING TRINITY SPOILER --------

-------------------------------------

Regarding novas in future, numerous Warps were opened when the Chinese made their ultimatum and Novas of various factions headed out into space. Some stayed behind on earth in hiding.

Novas loyal to earth tried to form a quantum barrier around the solar system so that the Aberrants would be locked out. This would be the destroyed about 30-40 years later and the Novas overcome by the Aberrant known as The Colony and his followers.

The Colony was a rival of Mal. He can create Sub-abberrants by injecting normal humans with taint. He attempted to take over the martian colony in about 2115 but was repulsed. Nothing else is known at this time.

Other groups of Novas headed out into the stars such as the Space Brigade (I hate that name) and the Eden Novas. Presumably there are many groups of Novas/Aberrants out there, some maddened by taint, others not. Chrome Prime, the Chromatic homeworld has a group of insane Aberrants living on it, they are the remains of a religious cult who were stranded there when their warper was killed.

I don't think Pax has anthing to do with Eden (or Mal for that matter although it is his ideal society). Eden society is a perfect "Benevolent Dictatorship" where Novas are worshipped by the baseline population (50-100 thousand) as they are in 2010 and in return provide everything Eden needs to survive. The spokesman for Eden is called Apollo Miliken (can't spell his second name) and he is a first generation Nova. You never know, Mal might indeed be there behind the scenes!

Isn't it all in the Trinity book?

Oh... and isn't Apollo Miliken a former Utopian?

The guy who quits because he's tired of being bossed around and who was part of the first Team Tomorrow...

Guess I need to look over my Utopia book.

What I do remember is that they are both fire manipulator.

STILL A TRINITY SPOILER --- NO PEAKING

Its a glut of information taken from all the Trinity Books. I don't think Apollo was born until the teens and he is a Mass/Energy converter mainly...he can convert thousands of tons of matter into light in a single shot....in fact he wipes out a massive Chromatic invasion fleet in this manner at the behest of the Upeo Wa Macho sometime around 2118.

My mistake... it was Evan "The Apollo Kid" Bank who was a former Utopian... the name are similars, but they probably have nothing in common.

Knocking out a chromatic (or anything else) fleet for a Quantum 7 (I seem to recall him having that much from a Trinity book) Aberrant however is child's play. Max out on Quantum bolt [mastery] and gives yourself the area effect and voila, toasted chromies.

I can see it now:

"Look, its a race of creatures who use light to communicate and WOW, I control light!"

I wonder if he told them how fucked they were before vaporizing them.

"Sorry, Doyen. Back to the drawing board."

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Please.

I think that Exile needs some changes but are overall very interesting as a setting for the Aberrant/Trinity future. I enjoyed reading their material. That is part why I am so frustrated about their continuing pushing backwards in their timeline. For me it is more interesting to look forward. When I'm finished with my Aberran chronicle I'll run the Trinity chronicle agin (with changes) and proceed into the future.

------------------

Love & Kisses

Reaver

Jeez I'm really clueless about the metaplot. I just got the player's guide and the Randel Portman is president. Whew...I have the player's guide, Aberrant mainbook, terragen, utopia, xwf, aberant expose', Elites, and the Directive handbooks. So what have I missed plot wise. I'm trying to run a game that follows the plot, emphasis and the word try...is anyone else having problems finding people who want to play, or even try aberrant?

---------------------------------------------

-------Player Spoiler warning Phase I--------

---------------------------------------------

Yeah. Worldwide Phase I and II are essential reading for the ST...aswell as being a source of plotlines. Don't bother with the Year I book unless you want some light reading about tech and cities and a bunch of stats on Novas nobody has ever heard of.

Phase I puts the players in the heart of Portmans election campaign, Anteaus Defection and the big Mal Vs Pax fight.

I enjoyed that fight. Even if you and Boomer spent the entire time pretending to fight each other while poor Bagman got the living shit kicked out of him when he got caught between the big guys.

------------------

Bast protect us all.

Archived