Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero - Elites

ProfPotts

Africa - Namibia - west of Windhoek, towards the Namib desert:

Standing on the runway of the base's fully-equiped airfield Elizabeth Cable looked around the DeVries National Tactical Solutions headquarters & thought that for all the world it looked like a military base. She knew that it covered a wide area that was surrounded by a chain-link fence topped with razor-wire, & was patrolled by paramilitary guards. Furthermore, "No Trespassing" signs were posted all around at a half-mile distance. Elizabeth had always seen herself working in a nice corporate office somewhere, & whilst there were offices here there were also barracks & bungalows, vehicle pools & armouries spread over the camp. Jeeps sped past squads of marching or jogging men, & helicopters & planes took off or touched down alongside flying Novas of various kinds. Over it all flew a red flag bearing the DeVries company logo - the logo that meant "Elites" in the minds of the world, the logo that meant "the best" & meant "money".

Elizabeth tucked a loose strand of blonde hair behind her ear & checked her lady's business suit for the hundreth time - new recruits expected DeVries staff to be the epitome of smart & efficient, & she had no desire to let that image slip. Looking to the skies she awaited the arrival of the latest batch of Novas who wished to prove they had what it took to be... Elite!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy looked out of the helecopters window as they started their decent. He never really liked this type of place...but it pays. It pays a lot. He though about how long this job would fit his weekly commute between the states and The Amp Room. The ground loomed closer and he looked down at his hands for a minute and smiled. A million and one dollars just so he can toss some tanks around. Life is good! He looked back out the window...touchdown in 10...9...

He noticed a sharply dressed woman. 8...7...6...

"I wonder if ill be working with her..." Andy says near silently to himself. "I hope closely." he gives himself a private smile.

5...4...3...2... Bah...its too long to wait...

The door opens by itself and Andy steps out. 1...touchdown. The helecopter wobbles slightly as the blades are pushed upwards to keep them from hitting andy.

He walks up to the woman. "Hey there...Im Andrew Brothers. You my contact here?"

The young lady offers her hand to Andy,

"Welcome to Camp Carrington Mr Brothers", there's just a hint of Afrikaans in her accent when she talks, "Although I wouldn't let the General hear you call it that. I'm Elizabeth Cable, your company liason"

She continues, again brushing a strand of blond hair out of her eyes,

"You're the first of today's new arrivals, we're expecting some others along shortly. Here at the DVNTS headquarters & training facility you'll receive extensive instruction on subjects as diverse as personal quantum training, quantum physics, military tactics, social ettiquette, linguistics...", she smiles ::smile , adding, "... Although I doubt that you'll need any help with that last one, Mr Brothers. We at DeVries set the Elite standard, as you know, so we make sure that our people are the best."

She checks a small palm-top computer before continuing,

"When the others arrive I can show you to your quarters - all the Novas on site get private bungalows with all the latest mod-cons. Then you've got an appointment at Superimpose to work out your Elite identity. Tommorow you'll start on your personal training schedule whilst our sales-people see what work we can arrange for you - most Novas get their first job within the week. As you know whilst under contract all your medical & legal needs will be dealt with, as well as your training & PR needs, & DeVries will take the standard 50% fee from your earnings. Don't worry if that sounds a bit high, Mr Brothers, I can assure you there will be enough left to go a long way!"

Checking her computer again she asks,

"I see you have some friends that you live with. Will they be joining us here? They're welcome to stay & enjoy our hospitality whilst you're stationed here."

Andy looks over his shoulder as the helecopter uneasily takes off, then he looks back at the woman.

"No. They are going to stay state side...at least until I get settled down. While I wait for the others, can I grab a cup of coffee and a few dozen donuts? It was a long flight and I havent had a chanse to eat yet."

"Really?", replies Ms Cable, noting something down on her palm-top, "I do appologise, Mr Brothers, I'll have to have a word with the air-line."

She takes out a slim mobile-phone & flips it open, saying to Andy as she does,

"I'll get something sent out here; I'd rather we waited until the others arrived before we continued our tour of the facility."

A largish aircraft lands...

After ten minutes or so a slender afro-asian sporting a #2 buzz cut, hip-hop vest and urban camo' trousers disembarks. Crazily he has a half full, green army tog-bag bent over one shoulder. The bag is easily as long as his almost six foot height.

"Bloody'ell, its 'ot!" the figure says in pure London Cockney with enough emphasis to be heard at quite a distance... "I guess I'm not gonna burn inna 'urry, at least. he continues at a slightly lower volume.

Shading his eyes from the sun and spotting 'the lady in the suit' *THINKING: Bloody'ell! That really can't be comfortable in this weather* the man makes his way over. He can't be more than twenty to look at him.

"I'm Guy Oshiro. Are you Elizabeth Cable? I'm supposed to meet with..." he says glancing at Elizabeth and across at Andy in a kind of "blood'ell who are you then" appraising kind of way.

Ms Cable offers her hand to Guy,

"Yes, I'm Elizabeth Cable, your company liason. Pleased to have you on board, Mr Oshiro - or do you prefer to use your military rank? Some of our ex-military personnel do around here."

She indicates Andy,

"This is Andrew Brothers, just arrived from the States. I was just giving Mr Brothers an overview of the training & facilities we offer here."

*THINKING: Bloody'ell! That really can't be comfortable in this weather*

[it's amazing the advantages to even synthetic eufiber fabrics! It's also the mid-year 'cool season' in Namibia so not too hot (although still sweltering compared to British summertime!) - at night the temperature can drop below freezing!]

Ms Cable checks her small computer,

"One, possibly two, more..."

As she does that a jeep drives over the tarmac towards the small gathering, stoping a few meters away. The driver (an African man in military-style cammo fatigues) remains in the vehicle, whilst the passenger (a younger African man dressed in the white apron of kitchen-staff everywhere) jumps out & heads over with mugs & a pot of fresh coffee, along with a box of freshly cooked donuts. Ms Cable glances up,

"Ah, I hope that'll be ok for the moment, Mr Brothers."

To the young kitchen hand she says,

"Thank-you Peter - unless our new arrivals want anything else right now I'd better not keep you from your duties any longer."

The young man beams a huge grin ::biggrin , then heads back towards the jeep.

To the two Novas she adds,

"Like all our staff here Peter speaks English. That's the official language of Namibia, although more of the locals speak either Afrikaans or one of the tribal dialects than speak English."

Ms Cable offers her hand to Guy

Guy shakes the proferred hand warmly, smiling all the while.

\"Yes, I'm Elizabeth Cable, your company liason. Pleased to have you on board, Mr Oshiro - or do you prefer to use your military rank? Some of our ex-military personnel do around here.\"

"Heh... no way. " Guy says grinning... "Guy is just fine thanks." *Thinking: Bloody'ell how's lieutenant dingbat feel when General dingbat shows up. Not falling for that one matey! Wonder what sort of Chain of Command they have here... it can't be rank based or allowing people to use their military ranks would be too confusing... I guess everyone's an 'executive consultant' and everyone reports to a Director or something. I really should have done more homework on these people... but the money is great and the training sounds amazing...

"'ey mate" Guy replies to Andy's "Hey" and proceeds to stick his hand out for the formal meeting shake.

Andy shakes the hand then quickly walks over to the food...thanks the chef. He then grabs a few donuts in one hand, and a mug of coffee in the other.

"Wonderful. Im starved!" he looks around for a place to sit...and frowns.

He looks closley at hte area around them and spots a chair 20 feet away. He smiles again as the metal chair lifts off the ground and flies to him, setting down 3 feet away. He walks over and sits down.

"Much Better,"

He starts to eat and waits for the others.

A smallish airplane touches down and a few minutes later, Alex hops out. *Now why do I feel like its 10 seconds before the roller coaster starts to go over the top?* Alex thinks to himself. *I wonder what they do with the newbies who wash out?*

Alex is wearing an impossibly black but stylishly jacket, a Grey shirt, and blue jeans with black boots. He is carrying a large duffel/travel bag. After spotting the stylishly dressed woman, he thinks, *Now she looks like a PR rep, lawyer, or someone else who should be carrying a checkbook. My contact, at a guess. The others look nova-ish. Trainers? Other newbies?*

He walks over and with a slightly ill at ease smile, says "Hey there. I'm looking for a Elizabeth Cable? I'm Alex Green.

He walks over and with a slightly ill at ease smile, says \"Hey there. I'm looking for a Elizabeth Cable? I'm Alex Green.\"

"That's me", replies Ms Cable, offering her hand, "Welcome to Namibia, Mr Green."

She indicates the other two gentlemen present,

"This is Andrew Brothers & Guy Oshiro, our other two new recruits. I think we're all here now", she checks her palm-top computer again, "there may be one more gentleman along later - we're waiting for confirmation."

She looks up at the three Novas, brushes a strand of blonde hair from her eyes & tucks it (again) behind her ear, then adresses the group,

"First things first. We'll get you settled in your quarters, then you all have an appointment at Superimpose. Mr Green, I understand that you've been considering going with the name the media dubbed you with after that incident in New York - the 'Dark Matter Destroyer'? If you other gentlemen have any ideas for working identities feel free to mention them to Mr Sauvage when you see him. Oh...", she lowers her voice to a conspiritorial whisper, "... & a word to the wise: don't annoy him. Image is very important in this line of work, & Mr Sauvage doesn't take kindly to rudeness." ::wink

Ms Cable starts off across the airfield tarmac, towards the base's Nova accomodation area (private bungalows), talking as she goes,

"You'll find that Namibia is a fine country. We're the world third largest exporter of diamonds, & also export many other precious minerals, such as uranium. We're home to the world's largest population of cheetahs, a wide variety of exotic bird life, & have the best national parks in Africa. We're also got the best road system in Africa, & income per capita is roughly five times the African average. The ecomony is mostly agricultural based (mostly herding - sheep & goats), along with the mining in the south, & extensive fishing along the coast. To the west of here is the Namib Desert 'the last unspoilt wilderness on Earth', to the east is the capital, Windhoek, & beyond that is the Kalahari desert - DeVries has interactive obstacle courses & firing ranges designed specifically for Quantum training in both wildernesses. The majority of the rest of the country is high plains. There's two OpNet service providers in the country, & each Nova residence on-base is wired for multi-channel OpNet access."

By the time she's finished the group has reached the rows of bungalows, passing various groups of paramilitary personnel, jeeps, business-types (like Ms Cable), & the odd Nova or two along the way. The bungalows are quite small, & lined-up in close formation, but appear comfortable enough. Ms Cable shows the Novas around one of the dwellings: there's a bedroom, bathroom (toilet & shower), & lounge / kitchenette area. The lounge area has the promised wide-screen digital multi-channel OpNet screen, the kitchenette has a large fridge-freezer, microwave oven, & various electronic mod-cons. All-in-all it seems reasonable, if a bit Spartan for some tastes - but then again, this is supposed to be a paramilitary training base, not a holiday camp!

Checking her computer again Ms Cable explains,

"This one's been allocated to Mr Green, the next two along are Mr Brothers & Mr Oshiro. You've got about an hour before you're due at Superimpose; I suggest that you get freshened-up, settled-in, & I'll be back to collect you then. Are there any questions?"

\"This is Andrew Brothers & Guy Oshiro, our other two new recruits. I think we're all here now\", she checks her palm-top computer again, \"there may be one more gentleman along later - we're waiting for confirmation.\"
\"Hey there.\" Alex waves at both but doesn't offer to shake hands. \"Call me Alex.\" *So then. Other newbies. Does that classify them as competitors? Teammates? Something in between?* Alex wonders. ::confused
\"First things first. We'll get you settled in your quarters, then you all have an appointment at Superimpose. Mr Green, I understand that you've been considering going with the name the media dubbed you with after that incident in New York - the 'Dark Matter Destroyer'?...If you other gentlemen have any ideas for working identities feel free to mention them to Mr Sauvage when you see him. Oh...\", she lowers her voice to a conspiritorial whisper, \"... & a word to the wise: don't annoy him. Image is very important in this line of work, & Mr Sauvage doesn't take kindly to rudeness.\" ::wink
Alex just nods at this without interrupting her. *That is the third time I've been warned about him.* Alex thinks to himself. *Well, he has to be better than me at this. Let's see if he can come up with something better than \"Darkman\"*. ::wacko
Ms Cable starts off across the airfield tarmac, towards the base's Nova accommodation area (private bungalows), talking as she goes... \"This one's been allocated to Mr Green, the next two along are Mr Brothers & Mr Oshiro. You've got about an hour before you're due at Superimpose; I suggest that you get freshened-up, settled-in, & I'll be back to collect you then. Are there any questions?\"
Alex responds, "Actually, yes. What is the dress code around here? Costume, non-costume? Military garb? I'm afraid this is quite new to me and I'm feeling clueless." ::unsure

\"This is Andrew Brothers & Guy Oshiro, our other two new recruits. I think we're all here now\", she checks her palm-top computer again, \"there may be one more gentleman along later - we're waiting for confirmation.\"

Guy shakes Alex's hand

\"First things first. We'll get you settled in your quarters, then you all have an appointment at Superimpose. Mr Green, I understand that you've been considering going with the name the media dubbed you with after that incident in New York - the 'Dark Matter Destroyer'

\"So you're the bloke from the Masters' party? Eh? I saw that on Channel Four; sounded like a bit of a barney that you got yourself into down there? So what really 'appened then?\"

If you other gentlemen have any ideas for working identities feel free to mention them to Mr Sauvage when you see him. Oh...\", she lowers her voice to a conspiritorial whisper, \"... & a word to the wise: don't annoy him. Image is very important in this line of work, & Mr Sauvage doesn't take kindly to rudeness.\" 

*Thinking: Better keep mum around 'im then... You don't want to stir up black dragons on your first day mate... Wonder what you should call yourself though... *

Are there any questions?\"

Wot's the plan for our stay 'ere then?

Andy smiles and nods to everything, taking it all in...making note of everything he can use if there is a possible attack.

After the tour is done...he nods again.

"Well...Im going to go and take a shower then. " He then leaves without bothering to listen for the answeres for thoes questions...not really caring at the moment...costumes...man that stuff is *so* 1940's comic books. ::rolleyes

\"Well...Im going to go and take a shower then. \" He then leaves without bothering to listen for the answers to those questions

Ms Cable looks slightly put-out as Andy walks out past her, but continues regardless after he's gone...

Alex responds, \"Actually, yes. What is the dress code around here? Costume, non-costume? Military garb? I'm afraid this is quite new to me and I'm feeling clueless.\"

Ms Cable considers the question for a few moments before responding,

\"Well, Mr Green, most of our Elites only 'mask' for actual field missions - that tends to include 'costumes' & the like. Around the base there's no official dress code as such, although the General tends to prefer a certain level of discipline & decorum; so I'd suggest nothing too over the top, if that helps.\"

Wot's the plan for our stay 'ere then?

"Just Superimpose today", replies Ms Cable, " you'll each start your personalised duty schedules & training regimes tommorow. Most new recruits get offered a job within a week of signing with us, so you shouldn't have too long to wait before you start to earn."

\"Well, Mr Green, most of our Elites only 'mask' for actual field missions - that tends to include 'costumes' & the like. Around the base there's no official dress code as such, although the General tends to prefer a certain level of discipline & decorum; so I'd suggest nothing too over the top, if that helps.\"

\"As long as we don't have to wear a bleeding tie!\" Guy exclaims with feeling. *Thinking: Ahhh... so they do have a General then... I know what I'm going to use that multi-band OpNet connection for... Time for some research on DV, Ms Cable, our Superimpose friend and definitely 'The General'*

\"Just Superimpose today\", replies Ms Cable, \" you'll each start your personalised duty schedules & training regimes tommorow. Most new recruits get offered a job within a week of signing with us, so you shouldn't have too long to wait before you start to earn.\"

"Right then... guess I'd better get on with having that shower so we're not late for this bloke with the temper ::rolleyes. Nice meeting you Ms Cable." Guy nods 'adieu' and heads off to his bungalow.

Doing the shower and change thing in five minutes is second nature to Guy so he has plenty of time to do some OpNet searching once he has stowed all his gear in the cupboards and drawers - actually hanging things up and folding everything else properly. Once he's done with the research he hesitates for a second before attaching the daisho to his belt... *Maybe it'll help with my new image thing... Hope I can do them proud.* he thinks as he traces the intricately carved dragons on the hilts of the weapons.

(this is so Prof knows what im doing)

Andy gets to his room and takes a nice long 10 minute shower before putting his things away. Its too dmaned hot in Africa...

Ah well...It wont be too long.

He gets dressed (10 minutes before the appointed time to be picked up) and relaxes flipping through some opnet channels.

Ms Cable says "Well, Mr Green, most of our Elites only 'mask' for actual field missions - that tends to include 'costumes' & the like. Around the base there's no official dress code as such, although the General tends to prefer a certain level of discipline & decorum; so I'd suggest nothing too over the top, if that helps."

Got that. Something close to casual. See you in an hour.

Entering his "cabin". Alex spends 5 minutes exploring his room, and then unpacks. He considers trying to fire up the computer, but decides to shower and change first, if only to make a good first impression (and to kill time). This whole business makes him nervious. ::unsure

On the OpNet:

DeVries - The Elite Standard

The DeVries Agency was founded by Anna DeVries in 1999, shortly after her own eruption as a Nova, & based upon Executive Actions, the highly successful mercenary company founded, owned, & run by Anna's father, Holger DeVries.

In 2001 The DeVries Agency formed DeVries National Tactical Solutions, or DVNTS, in response to the growing number of non-combat Novas being employed by the parent company. DVNTS was thus enabled to focus fully on providing Nova-level support for any military needs. Today, as always, DVNTS leads the world as the Elite standard!

General Frank Carrington is vice-president in charge of DVNTS. General Carrington earnt his rank commanding the British 'Special Air Service', or SAS, & later worked with Holger DeVries to oversee Executive Actions. Today the General brings his extensive experience & expertise (over three decades worth) in small-unit tactics & military leadership to DVNTS.

Bruce Sauvage is one of the worlds leading Nova designers. Mr Suavage uses his flawless design sense to create the Elite identities that are provided (& regestered) by Superimpose (a subsidiary of The DeVries Agency).

[Actual DeVries personnel files aren't a matter of public record, so nothing can be found on Ms Cable - unless someone wants to try something illegal... ::wink ]

Soon the hour is up, & Ms Cable returns to collect the three Novas. As they head across the base towards Superimpose she's again cautioning them all,

"Be careful with your manners around Mr Sauvage, he hates rudeness. Why, there was one new recruit who...", her anecdote is cut short by a shout from above...

"HEY NEWBIES!"

... A quick look up reveals a man hovering in the air about 10 meters up. His physique is impressive, even for a Nova, his crew-cut hair is platinum-blonde, & he has a distinctive vertical scar running down the right side of his face from his hairline, over his right eye (his eyes both sport a red iris & black sclera), to terminate at the corner of his mouth (that is set in a rather grim line). He's dressed in military-style tank-top, fatigues & boots. Even more worrying is the empty jeep suspended in the air above & to the side of where he hovers, turning & rotating slowly in the breeze. As soon as he can see that he's got the newcomers' attention he adds,

"THINK FAST!", & gestures towards the group. At that the jeep hurtles through the air on a collision course with the three new recruits & Ms Cable. Ms Cable screams ::nervous ::shocked & (pointlessly) ducks (on reflex)...

*Enhanced Movement + Intuition* Guy grabs hold of Ms Cable and carries her bodily (shielding her with his body all the while) behind whatever heavy cover there is available. From there he observes the flying nova trying to discern the nature of his power - as well as that of his fellow recruits..

* Telekinetic? Magnetokinetic? Just a test mate - just a test... no need to play your hand just yet... *

...behind whatever heavy cover there is available...

{{OOC: That would be me. ::bigsmile ::ninja }}

Alex spends 1 q to attune his clothes (no more lost wallets for Mr. Green), steps a few paces towards the jeep, and transforms. (That's a multiple action but all three are automatic).

{{OOC: That would be me. }}

While the Dark Matter Destoryer would certainly class as heavy cover ::biggrin , this time Guy chooses the most expensive looking cover he can find ::devilangel.

*Come on matey - get me 'ere if you're 'ard enough!

mmmmmm, y'think they'd risk 'urting Ms Cable... maybe she's one of us lot then?*

While the Dark Matter Destoryer would certainly class as heavy cover  , this time Guy chooses the most expensive looking cover he can find .

[\"Destoryer\"? Does that mean he removes the story? I better watch out for him... ::wink ]

Guy moves so quickly it appears that he's on the run before the flying Nova even makes his move... nar... couldn't be... ::sly Ms Cable's scream ends abruptly as she is whisked away to relative safety behind an expensive-looking four-by-four (all polished black & chrome with an expensive looking sound system inside). She remains, stunned, in Guy's arms for a few seconds ::blink , before regaining her composure & trying to smooth-out her ruffled outfit (& to once again brush her hair back into place). She does manage a brief smile at her saviour, followed by a, \"Thankyou Mr Oshiro.\"

Meanwhile Alex steps forward to intercept the flying vehicle, his form expanding & darkening into that of the twelve foot tall \"Dark Matter Destroyer\", almost 'smokey' wisps of 'Dark Matter' running over his well-muscled hulking form.

From behind Alex, Andy looks over the giant's head & focuses on the oncoming jeep. The vehicle slows, then stops, a few meters from Alex, hovers in the air for a few moments, then flys back the way it came!

\"He doesn't see Mr Sauvage much...does he?\"
, quips Andy.

The flying Nova seems unconcerned about the returning jeep, but calmly bring his arm up across his body, then away as the jeep reaches him, causing the vehicle to hurtle off uncontrolled across the base! He frowns, & turns in the air to watch the vehicle's flight - it again slows, then stops, & is gently lowered to the ground to come to a rest in a parking space down the road. Satisfied, the Nova approaches the ground until he's hovering only a couple of meters above & in-front of Alex. His red-black eyes scan over the group, but his face remains grim as he says,

"Not bad... for a bunch of no-names.", he glances over to where Ms Cable is emerging from behind cover, "You even managed to save the 'soft target'."

He again starts to rise into the air & away, throwing back the comment,

"We'll talk if you make it through your first job. The name's Pursuer."

Ms Cable mutters something under her breath in Afrikaans (it sounds rude, to say the least) ::angry , as she watches Pursuer's exit. She then addresses the group (in a much more polite tone),

"I apologise for Pursuer, gentlemen; I can assure you that I had no idea he was going to do that..."

She checks her watch, then starts to again head towards the Superimpose building, saying,

"Let's hurry, we don't want to be late."

[\"Destoryer\"? Does that mean he removes the story? I better watch out for him...  ]

::bananagrenade ::withbeer ::withbeer

She remains, stunned, in Guy's arms for a few seconds  , before regaining her composure & trying to smooth-out her ruffled outfit (& to once again brush her hair back into place). She does manage a brief smile at her saviour, followed by a, \"Thankyou Mr Oshiro.\"

Guy shrugs and puts her down. \"You must love your job, you must,\" he says slightly suspiciously.

Pursuer

\"Not bad... for a bunch of no-names.\", he glances over to where Ms Cable is emerging from behind cover, \"You even managed to save the 'soft target'.\"

He again starts to rise into the air & away, throwing back the comment,

\"We'll talk if you make it through your first job. The name's Pursuer.\"

Guy glares at his departing form muttering under his breath.

Ms Cable mutters something under her breath in Afrikaans (it sounds rude, to say the least)  , as she watches Pursuer's exit. She then addresses the group (in a much more polite tone),

[ooc] lol. I was born in South Africa... Afrikaans can be VERY colourful... I can just imagine what she's saying. ::smiley1 [/ooc]

Ms Cable

\"I apologise for Pursuer, gentlemen; I can assure you that I had no idea he was going to do that...\"

She checks her watch, then starts to again head towards the Superimpose building, saying,

\"Let's hurry, we don't want to be late

"Yeah. Lets go before someone else tries to get clever on us."

Dark Matter eyes the back of Pursuer and decides not to say anything. He also decides not to throw anything. *Hmm. That didn't go poorly. And my colleagues did well. he decides.

\"Let's hurry, we don't want to be late.\"

"Yes, let's." Dark Matter takes a step and between one step and another shifts back to Alex Green. Miraculously, his clothes seem undamaged, even the stuff that isn't black. ::blink ::bigsmile

\"That was me.  Childsplay to stop it.  Best way to teach him a lesson...well...if I had hit him it would be...\"

"Maybe." Alex replies.

*Or maybe he would have just beat the tar out of all of us. Didn't the news say a few years back that Pursuer badly hurt Pax during one of those wars?* he thinks to himself.

"Good catch. Telekinesis?"

\"'e's gotta be pretty bleedin' 'ard or very bloomin' stupid to do what 'e just done. So I'm 'oping 'e's right out of our league... whatever that is...\"

"What? " 'ard"? What does that mean? Anyway...he is gone now. Lets just finish this little walk without getting killed."

Andy catches up with the PR rep. "Oh yea...can you guys help me get a nick name? I was going to hold off on calling Apallete Lexington untill I talked to you about it. I think ill give into the media pressure just this once."

\"What? \" 'ard\"? What does that mean? Anyway...he is gone now. Lets just finish this little walk without getting killed.\"

"Wot? 'ard? Bloody'ell! 'ard is bleedin' tough mate - like bloomin' Pax or 'Phil' on East Enders." ::blink

\"Wot? 'ard? Bloody'ell! 'ard is bleedin' tough mate - like bloomin' Pax or 'Phil' on East Enders.\"

[Hah! Phil'd kick Pax's ass any day of the week! ::biggrin ]

Andy catches up with the PR rep. \"Oh yea...can you guys help me get a nick name? I was going to hold off on calling Apallete Lexington untill I talked to you about it. I think ill give into the media pressure just this once.\"

Ms Cable pauses as she reaches the door of a large warehouse-like building with a small sign next to it reading 'Superimpose'. To Andy she says,

"No need for Appellate Lexington, Mr Brothers, Superimpose legally registers all our Elites' code-names. As for a choice of code-name, I'm sure Mr Sauvage can suggest something."

With that she opens the door & leads the Novas within...

... "WE'RE OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD! THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ!!!"

The Nova's eardrums are assualted by the sound of Judy Garland blasting out full volume from speakers throughout the interior. The assault on their visual senses is only slightly less intense - aisle after aisle of odd costumes, dresses, masks, feather boas in a rainbow of colours, leather accoutrements, utility harnesses & odder things dazzle their eyes! Several good-looking young men (& a few young ladies) move between the aisles, sorting, checking & generally taking care of the stock. Ms Cable allows the new recruits a few moments to let it all sink in, before advancing further.

"BECAUSE, BECAUSE, BECAUSE, BECAUSE, BECAAAUUUSE!!!"

A tall, & rather effeminate, man dressed in a mauve smoking jacket over a lime-green crushed velvet suit leaps out from between two aisles &, well... 'minces'... over to the Novas, whilst joining in the song,

"BECAUSE OF THE WONDERFUL THINGS HE DOES!!!"

He reaches the Novas, then circles them, looking each up & down with a... 'practiced'... eye. The show-tunes continue to blare out as he suddenly thrusts a hand towards Andy,

"Bruce Sauvage, at your service (you saucey young thing you)", then shakes the hand of each Nova in turn, & greets Ms Cable with a continental-style kiss on each cheek. His black hair is neatly styled, although the fact that he's wearing make-up is a bit off-putting to those less well-travelled visitors,

"Although today you can call me the Great & Mighty Oz!", he throws his hands above his head in a flamboyant gesture, before whispering (loud enough for all to hear) to Andy,

"But you can call me Bruce."

He takes a step back & again looks over the group, 'tsk'-ing to himself & muttering,

"Really, what are they sending me these days? If I wasn't a miracle worker..."

Mr Sauvage steps over to Ms Cable & absent-mindedly adjusts her hair as he continues to peruse his three latest 'projects'. Suddenly he looks up at the Novas & smiles ::biggrin ,

"So", he asks, "who are you & what do you do?"

All around Judy starts up with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...

Archived