Aberrant RPG - Mega-Attribute Books

Sprocket

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok some stuff,

Firstly Faces should be Charmers.

Also, we need to include a section with examples of how the various natures deal with mega-socials. VtM did something similiar with the discipline dominate & I think it is even more important with mega-socials.

As to the enhanced backgrounds, I don't think every background should get an enhanced version & I don't think the book should with all the possiblities. Mentor for instance shouldn't have an enhanced version. Level 5 is Trinity can give you one of the Proxies. I don't see why it couldn't give you even Mal or Pax in Aberrant.

The backgrounds I think should be dealt with are Allies, Followers, Influence (Icon), & Resources (More Money then God). Also I want to relook at the names for them in Adventure! to get inspiration for the names.

I also, think another small supplement could deal with background enhancements in general in Aberrant. After all, it wouldn't take much for a Mega-Mental to get some of them too.

I also had an interesting idea for a new Mega-Manipulative enhancement. It could be a merit, but here is what I got.

SUBTLE (Mega-Manipulation)

Some novas are so skilled with their powers that you never see them coming. The possessor of the enhancement can use all his Mega-social powers to full effect, but will never seem supernatural in doing it. This enhancement provides no protection against being discovered as a nova; however anytime the nova uses his Mega-Social attributes or enhancements they effect will always seem within the bounds of possibility for normal humans.

System:

This enhancement cost 1 Quatum Pool & lasts for 1 scene. It provides no protection from discovery as a nova. It does make the users Mega-Social attributes & enhancements seem not so superhuman. Therefore, the user can turn his social presence on full effect on a victim, but the victim will not realize that the nova is using powers on them.

Obviously the idea needs some work. What I am trying to simulate is a character who is a social monster & can use his enhancements stealthly, so that people are less likely to realize the nova is using powers to manipulate them.

Re: the "Subtle" enhancement- The concept sounds good, t-dev- all you have to do is clean it up and dress it nicely! ::biggrin Just check out the job I did on Psilord's "Plain Spoken" (Mega-Wits) enhancement over on the "New Powers" thread, if you want an example of how to accomplish that little chore.

Re: Natures and Mega-Socials- I second that, t-dev- but where exactly did you find those specialized V:tM rules?

Re: Nova cults- I think Divis Mal's fan club has been covered (albeit not in the detail it deserves) in the Storyteller's Screen. And wouldn't Caestus Pax's fan club see a drop in their membership rolls after Pax's first battle with (and subsequent loss to) Divis Mal? The club might not be big enough to be worth mentioning after that... ::hehe

Re: Count Orzaiz- I think we should restrict ourselves to using Raoul as an example of how a Mega-Social nova can use his or her quantum abilities to best advantage, as opposed to the comic-book/WWF-style approach of the Mega-Physical novas or the "The world is my chessboard" approach of the Mega-Mental masterminds.

As far as new aberrations go, a Mega-Manipulative nova could easily develop a form of obsessive/compulsive behavior focused on tricking and/or deceiving other people.

Re: Background enhancements- Should we try to come up with something for the nova-only backgrounds (such as Node), or restrict ourselves to the social/economic-based backgrounds?

This looks like it could turn out well, folks... I guess the only question is whether or not we'll get the "go-ahead" from CHILL. Any news on that?

Ok...Time for talking!!

To Backgrounds: We need to stick to the more social backgrounds...that is what this book is for after all ::biggrin ...Thoes are Allies, Backing, Contacts, Followers, Influence, & Resources. I would like to propose Mentor and Cipher, but the case to include them are weak at best.

To Nova Cults (by sproket): Gotcha...I will take another look at hte screen...but I dont remember and Malites in there. I was going to use the Pax peeps kinda like the anti-maliates...a Nelson to the Maliates Bart if you would.

To Count Oraziz: Gotcha again...we will use him only as a passing example if at all.

To Name change for faces: So far no dissenting opinions on that...so it will be duley noted in the next update on the lineup.

To your enhancement: Good stuff...we will clean it up (Sproket is good for help with that since he has made so many) and it will go in. On a different note...I hate to ask.. Iknow you already said its been put out already...but sproket...you have put out some mega-chr flaws that are custom built for this book...can we use them even though they are already published?

We also need some more...so if anyone has some ideas...dont hesitate to post. We can use anything for this...its putty in our hot little gamer hands!

I was just looking at the "Suitors" background to get a better idea of how it works and I was thinking. Should we take a background or two from A! and adapt them to Aberrant? I cant remember all of them off hand, but I know that Nemesis would be appropriate for this book. Santum might be too (I would think it would be more for Brainwaves as they make more money...but hey...why not if we are including Resources). Ill look through my A! book when I get home and pull out the more Chr/Money based ones to look at.

You guys appear to be focusing on game-rules & stuff, which is nice, but is anyone going to do any research into how things like cults actually work (i.e. in the real world)?

Helpful info' could include what it takes to get a religion officially / legally recognised (not much in the US from what I can tell), what's the legal definition of a 'cult', what (if any) actual crimes are involved, how do they go about 'brainwashing people', how do those sucked into cults get 'deprogamed' when taken out of the cult, what do cults actually do, etc., etc..

Other useful areas to research would include how the media works - how are ratings calculated, how do people manipulate things to get coverage, etc.? How about some social science & psychology - how do trends effect different strata of society, how does 'mass hysteria' actually work, that sort of thing. Try looking at real-world examples (e.g. the Nazi movement in inter-war Germany - why did it ever get so much support from normal, sane, people?) - then translate that information & understanding to the game world.

Im going to do the nova cults. Ill have to do some research about that. but I have a good idea of where to start (they even have a small oh-so-basic description of cults in the storyteller screen).

As for social science and mass delusions...that would probably be best covered in the powers/mega-soc section with powers like Domination and Empathy control. Possibly.

Re: Nova cults- If you happen to be a subscriber to the Pyramid online gaming magazine (put out by Steve Jackson Games), they've got more than a few articles on cults that would likely be very useful to you, Bahamut. Also take a look at the seeting material on Calliope's cult in the Aberrant Storyteller's Screen booklet- especially the part where Calliope herself is on trial! If she can get away (scot-free, no less!) with devouring her cute guys among her cultist sheep, just imagine what must be going on in some other nova-cults... ::crazy

Re: "Mega-Charisma flaws"- By this I assume you're talking about the aberrations I've posted that've been derived from Tainted Mega-Appearance or Mega-Charisma? The ones that've already been put out in the Aberrant Compendium? Hmm... ::closedeyes

Oh, heck with it! I suppose we could use them, but only if we can't come up with enough other, new aberrations to pad out the listings. (You'll note that none of the aberrations from the Aberrant Compendium are derived from Mega-Manipulation, BTW.) If we end up having to use them, we can, all right?

Re: Adapting Adventure! backgrounds to the Aberrant setting- Say what? Aside from a few minor details due to the change in time periods, I've found that the Adventure! backgrounds work very well just as they are in the Aberrant setting! The only reason I could see for this would be to redefine the Device background, taking into account the numbers of nova inventions floating around on the global black market. ::devil

Re: t-dev's "Subtle" enhancement- I'd be willing to give it a makeover if I had to, but I'd really like for t-dev to take a shot at doing so himself first. We learn by doing, after all... and I'm really kind of tapped out on ideas for enhancements at the moment. ::dozingoff If I do come up with something useful, I'll post it here first, of course. But I think I'm more likely to start in on the aberrations first.

Ill check out steve jackson games then. I have already read that part in the storytellers screen abuot 20 times :D. Ill have to check good ol' steve jackson out now.

To adventure backgrounds:

I still havent looked at my book...but I was thinking we could adapt Nemesis, Device and possibly Sanctum. Mind you that Device and Sanctum would best be used in the MEga-Smart book...but they didnt do that. NEmesis would be more of a media hype trait though, just what we are looking for.

UPDATE:

Working title: FORCEFUL PERSONALITIES

Introduction: Welcome to my parlour...(said the spider to the fly)

[intro, lexicon, etc.]

-Pretty much written for the most part...need idea's for lexicon

Chapter 1: Faces of the world.

[Mega-Social "who's who"- nova cults/religions, factions, and alternative societies.]

-Charmers (Mega-Chr)

-Grifters (Mega-Manip)

-Idols (Mega-App)

-Cult of --- (Novacentric, nova leader)

-Cult of --- (Novacentric, no-nova leader)

-Malachites (Baseline cult worshipping Divis Mal), Paxtons (Basline social group centered on Cestius Pax)

Chapter 2: Social Engineering

[social maneuvering/conflicts/etc.]

-Mega-Wits and its effects in a social (adapt A! high wits rule here?)

-Dealing with 2 mega-social nova's with different agenda's...and one lackey

Chapter 3: Storytelling.

[storytelling plots/ideas/ramifications/etc.]

- Count Oraziz (im not sure if we can use him though)

*Possible post-Chrysalis Count?

- Grunts, or the wonderful world of getting people to do stuff for you

- Mega-Socials and the Law (this is where we would have all the more *ahem* adult material...which for this project I think should be toned down. No *extreme* stuff, but adult language about what happens.)

- Mega-socials and your players (or "lets avoid ordering people to like someone")

*Subtle Hints to tell your player they like a person

Chapter 4: Frightening, Wonderful Behavior

[Mega-Attributes "in depth", worlds' view of given Mega-Attribute, new enhancements and aberrations. Also the problems that are specific to each Social Mega-Attribute]

-Background Enhancements:

*Allies - Close Family

*Backing - (unnammed)

*Contacts - Center of Favor (?)

*Followers - Masses

*Influence - Household name

*resources - More money then god

- Mega-Chr/App and addictive people (i.e. Stalkers)

- additional Backgrounds:

*Suitors

*Nemesis

-Mega-Social Enhancements, Aberrations

Major Discussion at this point:

Backgrounds...should we include:

-Devince

-Sanctum

-Mentor

Cults

-General discussion

A few other issues not as spoken about

All right, folks. As I said in my last post on this thread, I've gone ahead and come up with some new aberrations derived from the Mega-Social Attributes. I've also made a small outline to show us what we've got in the way of useable aberrations (including the ones from the Aberrant Compendium), and what blank spaces we need to fill.

Outline- [Aberrations marked with an * are from the Aberrant Compendium.]

1: Mega-Appearance

a: Low-level: Chromatic Hair, Distinctive Looks, Mega-Vanity, Sex Object*, Surreality*, Twisted Perspective.

b: Medium-level: Heartthrob*, Object of Desire*, Shifting Features*.

c: High-level: none as yet.

2: Mega-Manipulation

a: Low-level: Altered Tongue, Compulsive Blackmailer.

b: Medium-level: Cannot Lie, Pathological Liar, Trickster.

3: Mega-Charisma

a: Low-level: Convivial, Four-Color Caricature, Soft Touch.

b: Medium-level: Glory Hound, Heartthrob*, Party Animal, Romantic Irresistibility*.

NEW MEGA-SOCIAL ABERRATIONS-

>Mega Appearance

Low Level-

Chromatic Hair: The nova's hair -all of it- is of a (usually) attractive color that isn't naturally found in baseline humans. Just about any hue is possible- bright blue, leaf green, cherry red, and pastel pink are just a few of the possibilities. Some novas even develop hair the color of polished metal- for example, Teardrop from Teen2M has bright silver hair. Since baseline teenagers and nonconformists have been dyeing their hair unnatural colors for over a decade (as of 2008), this doesn't draw quite as much attention as other minor physical aberrations do... unless someone gets close enough to the nova to realize that the supposed dye-job is in fact natural color! Oddly enough, several Japanese novas (and foreign novas who have been influenced by Japanese anime) have developed this aberration without the Taint that normally accompanies it. These novas also have been known to develop oddly-colored irises without Taint accumulation as well. (In game terms, these novas have taken both the Chromatic Hair and Aberrant Eyes aberrations as 1-point Flaws- see the Aberrant Player's Guide, page 92.)

Distinctive Looks: Something about the looks of a nova with this aberration really stands out in the minds of those who see her (or visual records of her). Whether it's something as blatant as smoldering sex appeal or as subtle as how the light hits her, this makes the nova's appearance quite unique. Unless she takes extreme measures to alter her appearance (via shapeshifting or cutting-edge cinematic special effects makeup), she is likely to be spotted and recognized on sight by anyone who's seen her before. In game terms, other people (novas, baselines, and psiads alike) will gain a difficulty bonus on all Perception rolls made to identify the nova equal to her Taint-derived difficulty penalty on social interactions with baselines. On the flipside, all rolls made for attempts to impersonate the nova with this aberration likewise suffer a difficulty penalty equal to her Taint-derived difficulty penalty on social interactions with baselines.

Mega-Vanity: Mega-Beautiful and Mega-Handsome novas who develop this aberration become obsessed with their personal appearance. These are the novas who simply cannot pass by a mirror without looking at themselves, and cleaning up their appearance if need be- even during combat! They dread the problems of aging (baldness, grey hair, wrinkled skin, sagging figures, etc), and will seek to become very good friends with any nova capable of using the Age Alteration technique of Temporal Manipulation. Making negative comments about the looks of novas with this aberration is guaranteed to anger them. These novas will also tend to resent other novas who have greater Mega-Appearance than their own, especially if they are romantic rivals of the Mega-Vain nova in question. In all of these cases, a Mega-Vain nova can make a Willpower roll (penalized by his or her permanent Taint, of course) to resist the urge to give in to his or her vanity whenever it is felt, even when it isn't the best time to indulge. The Storyteller may adjust the difficulty if the circumstances are especially tempting. The nova may spend a Willpower point to resist the effects of this aberration for one scene, but will feel distinctly uncomfortable doing so.

Twisted Perspective: Mega-Beautiful and Mega-Handsome novas who develop this aberration undergo a slight change in their ideas of human beauty. Having come to accept their superhuman attractiveness as the norm, such novas will find the unenhanced features of even the most gorgeous baselines to be homely, if not downright repulsive! Novas with this aberration have a -2 difficulty bonus to resist any seduction attempts made by baselines that are based on sexual attraction. The flipside of this is that these novas also have a difficulty penalty of +2 on all vision-based Perception rolls made to identify baselines by sight- after all, these novas likely won't even want to look at baselines if they can help it...

Medium Level- none.

High Level- none.

>Mega-Manipulation

Low Level-

Altered Tongue: The tongue of a nova with this aberration has been changed in some way, usually one that reflects a common myth, superstition, or saying about manipulative folk. One nova's tongue might become forked like a snake's, while another's might turn the color of polished metallic silver. Unless the nova is in the habit of showing off his or her tongue in the manner of certain 1970s-era rock stars, this aberration is likely to remain unnoticed, barring attempts by others to become physically intimate with the nova.

Compulsive Blackmailer: The nova who develops this aberration becomes driven to learn how to get leverage against anyone and everyone she can- including her supposed friends and colleagues. What's more, she knows that the best way to do so is to learn all the secrets of those she hopes to influence, and the nova won't hesitate to betray someone's confidence if it means she'll take in a profit. Secrets that could get her vanished and/or killed are left alone- novas with this aberration are devious, not stupid. Nobody with any sense will trust the nova (if they know about her little hobby), but as the nova is likely to have assembled an impressive network of contacts and people who owe her favors, she probably won't care. There is one exception to this, though: If the nova still has family or a spouse that she cares about, she will neither try to dig up dirt on them nor knowingly place them in danger with her machinations. Whenever the nova has an opportunity to uncover someone's secrets, she must roll Willpower (with a penalty equal to her permanent Taint) to avoid digging up that dirty laundry. Furthermore, if the nova is prevented from investigating anyone for 24 hours, the nova will suffer a +1 difficulty penalty on all of her rolls until she can indulge her compulsion. The nova will suffer a cumulative +1 penalty for each 24 hour-period of deprivation past the first.

Medium Level-

Cannot Lie: A nova with this aberration has lost the ability to tell (or otherwise communicate) something that he knows is blatantly untruthful. In layman's terms, the nova can't tell bald-faced lies. This isn't as much of a handicap (or a safety margin, depending on your point of view) as one might expect, however. The nova can still deceive others by alternate means- he can mislead by omission or equivocation, and can use illusions to the fullest if he has the appropriate quantum powers to generate them. A nova with this aberration is not compelled to talk (unless he's forced to), but if he does he'll still be able to omit details and twist definitions to suit his purposes.

Pathological Liar: A nova with this aberration has developed a specific form of compulsive behavior that drives him to tell lies and deceive other people whenever he can. Whenever the nova has an opportunity to communicate with someone, he must roll Willpower (with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to avoid telling a lie. Furthermore, if the nova is prevented from communicating with (and lying to) anyone for 24 hours, the nova will suffer a +1 difficulty penalty on all of his rolls until he can lie to someone. The nova will suffer a cumulative +1 penalty for each 24 hour-period of deprivation past the first.

Trickster: A nova with this aberration (a specific form of compulsive behavior) lusts after the thrill of outwitting dangerous foes. This isn't the simple harassment of harmless and/or innocent folks- only foes who can present a genuine threat to the nova will be considered worthy targets for her mischievous activities. Depending on the situation, a "worthy target" might be a single powerful nova, a group of novas, or even a baseline organization! There doesn't have to be any actual need for the nova to go out and pick a fight (and there usually won't be)- the nova's desire for the thrills of a battle of wits and skill is all the justification she thinks she needs. The nova must choose and actively attempt to trick a dangerous target at least once every 24 hours. The nova may roll Willpower in order to restrain herself for a day, but she will suffer a cumulative +1 penalty on the Willpower roll for each day that she fights her own tendency for mischief. If the Willpower roll is failed, the nova will go looking for some trouble ASAP, even to the point of temporarily deserting her comrades if that's what it takes to satisfy her urge.

High Level- none.

>Mega-Charisma

Low Level-

Convivial: For a nova who develops this aberration, the company of other people (preferably in large numbers) is absolutely vital to his psychological well-being. This outright addiction to frequent social contact will lead the nova to ignore up to 2 points of any difficulty penalties on Social rolls that would otherwise apply- say, like when a highly-tainted nova tries to associate with her less-tainted colleagues... The nova will be utterly miserable when alone, and will suffer a +2 difficulty penalty on all Mental rolls when isolated in this manner. (Storyteller Note: This must be roleplayed!) If the nova is in a group of four or less, he'll be somewhat less than miserable, but he won't exactly be happy, either. In this case, the nova suffers only a +1 difficulty penalty on all Mental rolls until he's around a larger group of people.

Four-Color Caricature: Possibly as a result of reading too many third-rate comics as a kid, a nova with this aberration has bought heavily into the lore of the four-color superhero (or supervillain). This specific form of delusion will lead the nova to wear an outlandish costume (complete with utility belt), give unbearably corny speeches, and generally act as if he'd just stepped out of a Superfriends episode. This kind of behavior is extremely embarrassing to most other novas, who will ostracize and/or mock the nova if given the chance. In game terms, a nova with this aberration suffers a +2 difficulty penalty on all Social rolls with other novas who don't share his four-color worldview. While many baselines will idolize the nova as a living incarnation of what they think all novas should be; those with common sense will tend to think that the nova is 1: a clownish fool, 2: certifiably insane, 3: an elite wannabe, or 4: all of the above. The nova is quite likely to be a regular subject of trashy tabloid newspapers. Note: For some reason, all novas who develop this aberration possess neither the Common Sense Merit nor the Prudence enhancement of Mega-Wits.

Soft Touch: A nova with this aberration has simply lost most of his better judgement where his compassion for other people is concerned. If a panhandler asks him for some change, the nova will tend be too open-handed to refuse, and will likely give cash instead of coins. If the nova sees someone in distress, he'll more than likely rush over and give whatever aid he can, even if he has pressing business elsewhere. The nova will listen sincerely to requests for large-scale financial aid and charitable donations where others would brush them off- he tends to fall for good hard-luck stories. (If the nova's flat broke at the time, he'll make profuse apologies for not being able to help out.) And yes, the nova will do his best to rescue kittens that have climbed up trees and are too scared to get back down by themselves. Note that novas with this aberration aren't hopeless suckers- they simply tend to feel guilty over having won their novahood in what is essentially a genetic lottery, and being better off than so many ordinary humans as a result. In game terms, the nova must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to avoid giving some sort of aid to those in need, even if ignoring the situation would be for his own benefit or that of the greater good. While this presents obvious difficulties in successfully carrying out missions, the nova will likely gain a positive reputation among devout Buddhists, Muslims, and many varieties of Christians; as well as the people he has helped.

Medium Level-

Glory Hound : This aberration is an extreme version of the Overconfidence Flaw (see the Aberrant Player's Guide, page 72). Whereas overconfident novas tend to overestimate their abilities, a nova with this aberration will do so to an absurd degree. She will invariably insist on doing whatever it takes to be in the spotlight- she'll take the greatest risks, lead the charge, and make complex plans that hinge on her abilities. In any situation where an assessment of the nova's abilities is a factor, the Storyteller will make glaringly obvious exaggerations. The nova must also make a Willpower roll at a difficulty penalty equal to her difficulty penalty on Social rolls for interacting with baselines to back down from a direct challenge to her abilities. Side effects of this aberration include an unwillingness to avoid talking to the media, posing for photographs or video cameras, or signing autographs. The nova may make a Willpower roll to resist the effects of this aberration for one scene, but will feel distinctly uncomfortable doing so. Novas with this aberration tend to be adored by the media, children, and teenagers, but are likewise regarded as egotistical jerks by their colleagues and fellow novas.

Party Animal: A nova with this aberration has a hard time resisting the urge to party, and he will usually do so at the drop of a hat. The nova will try any kind of pharmaceutical party favor or beverage that is offered to him; and isn't picky about his romantic partners, provided that they're hot. He likes his music loud and trendy, and prefers to wake up at the crack of noon to a cold beer. If the nova isn't already regular at places like the Phoenix Room (aka the Amp Room prior to 2015) or StarLord's Cafe yet, he soon will be. In game terms, the nova must make a Willpower roll to avoid joining (or starting) a party whenever the opportunity presents itself, even if the party is one that the nova should avoid attending for some reason (not being invited to a private party, people the nova should avoid are attending, or the nova is currently attempting to lie low and avoid attracting attention). He'll avoid empty bars and nightclubs in favor of ones that are filled with people- and if they're being quiet, the nova must roll Willpower to keep from doing his best to liven things up and get the party going. Once the party's started, the nova will always stay for an hour, after which he may make another Willpower roll- if the roll fails, he'll stay at the party until he's thrown out or the party winds down on its own. Additionally, the nova will suffer a further +1 difficulty penalty on all Social rolls for interactions with sober-minded people- extremely dour folk such as fundamentalists will incur a penalty of +2 or worse! The flipside of this is that the nova gains a -1 difficulty bonus on all Social rolls with extroverted people and other folk who love a good party.

High Level- none.

If anyone has ideas for other aberrations that could be derived from the Social Mega-Attributes, I'd be happy to hear them... And I'd also like some feedback on these before we decide to use them in our Mega-Social book! ::smile

Re: the Peter Pan Syndrome- Due to problems with the basic concept for this aberration, I've decided that I should let someone else take a shot at revising this sick little puppy. It's open for anyone who feel up to it, folks...

sorry folks, been MIA for a few weeks now... looks good, haven't had a chance to read everything in depth, but i'd say it's looking like it'll be great. i just sent of some info to Bahamut on where to start and how the whole e-book thing works. if you guys have any questions, please let me know. ::biggrin

To Flaws:

Sweetness...One thing I see is the Twisted Perspective. Should that possibly be a higher aberration? or mabey make a worse version of that to take for a high aaberration?

Idea's Im having for thoes:

Painful Visage....im thinking high for this one with possible actual damage caused.

Addictive Visage...people become addicted to watching the person

Bossy...the person just gets bossy...good for more leadership type characters

Dictator...higher form of bossy...there are physical punishments for disobediance

Must-like disorder...has to have *everyone* like him...no matter the personal sacrafice

Unnaturally nice...probably too much like soft touch...but the person cant deny even the worst hard luck stories...no matter how bad.

Thats what I came up with...mind you im not that good at this part ::wink

Something I just thought of that will need to be covered...Mega-Ugly novas. THey are mentioned in the core book (or the PG...i cant remember which) and i think we do need to cover them here. Thoughts on this?

Mega-ugliness is covered under the basic text for Mega-Appearance. The same text also mentions (in passing) that Mega-Ugliness is actually really just an example of other applications of the basic Mega-Appearance rules: Mega-horrifying is mentioned as well. You guys could grab that whole 'alternate Mega-Appearance' idea & run with it!

This is my first draft for a cult. I like it...I was watching Hellraiser when I got the idea, so you know. This has been on my back burner to develop for a few months now so I have thought a bit on it. Tell me what you think.

Church of (get french name for pain and/or suffering)

Setting: France, Darker feel

"We are the ultimate beings of expression. Each of us...we have in ourselves the power to make art so beautiful, music for powerful, and pain so wonderful. Each of us in turn are to give our gifts to the outside world, to let them share in our arts." -Morbed, Shaper of Men

General:

-The group is a small cult that is forming in the outskirts of the city of Laon of france. -The group is centered around a nova who calls himself Morbed, shaper of man.

-Predatory practices among artist community

-Prizes art and beauty among all others

-most members are Sadists and/or Masochists

-Each member is a soul brother/sister of the whole...they all are highly encouraged to live in group house

The Good:

-They are pretty well off. Their collective talents gets them much work in the arts field. They have a famous (in france) piano player and a few somewhat well known artists that provide money for the rest.

The Bad:

-Morbeds powers (see below)...he has been in court before for using them to create his art.

Major Personalities:

Morbed, Shaper of Man

Background: Morbed would have you think that he has been a Nova for his entire life. He would also have you think that he was an artist even longer. In actuality he was origonally Pierre De Lafou, an unknown in the artist community, who misterously dissapeared one night after an arguement with his then girlfriend. He ran to his studio and quietly erupted when he cought a rat and made entirely new art form. A few weeks later...his Ex was found in a new form. Her face was horribly disfigured in a style remarcably similar to a picasso painting. Since then she has gone through extensive plastice surgery...but there are some scars which just wont heal...

Image: His visage is truely horrifying. When most people first see him, they can barley stop themselves from vomiting. His skin is yellowing, and tight on him and you can see his bones through it. His face is particularly grusome...looking almost like a decaying corpse. The skin around his mouth has tightened so that his teeth are always showing. He always wears a black cloth trench coat buttoned up, and the belt tightened around his waiste, showing just how thin he is. His hands are bony claws almost like there is no mustle under them.

RP hints: You are the ultimate artist. You use visual, mental and even painful means to show your art. You and your children are the ultimates in that department...and your children had better be so. You are a teacher, and you gently guide your hildren to their potential...you do *not* handle dissapointment with them very well though...and some of them have left your herd never to be seen again after particularly bad failures.

Str- 2 Dex-2 Stm- 4

Perc-4 Int-4 Wits-4

App-0 Chr-2 Manip-3

Brawl-2 Stealth-3 Awareness-3

Arts-5 (sculpture) Biz-3 Rapport-2

Style-4 Etiquette-2

Allies-2* Followers-5 Resrouces-4 Contacts-3 (art dealers) Node-2

Taint-6 Quantum-5

Q-powers:

Form Manipulation**-3

Claws-1

Armour-2

Dominate-2

Mega-Atts-

Str-1 (quantum leap) Stm-1 (regeneration) Dex-1 (fast tasks)

Perc-1 (bloodhound) Wits-1 (artistic genous)

Manip-2 (the voice) App-1 (face of terror)

*-This is only the power from Biomanipulation. It is used in the same way except for using Form manip+Manip instead of Biomanip+manip.

**- These are his most trusted friends that he has picked up in his travels. He works his "art" on them extensivley and they are his body guards. They have the equivelent of: M-Str-1, M-Stm-1, App-0, Manip-0, Chr-0, Int-1, Perc-4, Wits-3. They arent the brightest bulbs in the bunch...but they follow Morbed without fail, and to the "T".

ok...i now have the trinity PG...

more backgrounds I would like to discuss adapting to Aberrant:

-Citizenship...useful at times

-clearance...this is more mega-smart, but its the opposite of Cipher...something potentially useful

-identity...Like clark kent and superman..multiple identities. Something mega-app or shapeshifter nova's an use

-requisition-its a better way do find black market stuff then Streetwise is. Streetwise is more communication and fitting in then actual finding stuff anyway.

So...whatcha think?

Im cleaning up Sprokets Aberration and taking the Profs advice:

Child-like appearance (Low-lvl, Physical): Your character looks like your typical 13 year old in every way. Boys may have some peach fuzz, girls may have some budding breasts, but in the end...their body is only 13. This has obvious limitations in that you cant get into bars as easily, and people in general treat you as a child. Your Str cant go above 3 and Stm score cant go above 4. If it is above its limit then you gain 1 xp per point lost. Nothing you will try will make you age. At all.

Child-like Mind (low lvl, mental): You are a child at heart and in soul. You havent had the hardships of the world and have the selfish mentality of a 4 year old. You wont learn any lesson easily, and you will probably drool.

Infantile Appearance (High lvl, physical): an advanced form of Child-like appearance, with infantile apparance your body looks like a 5 year old child. You can walk, you can talk. You probably even have hair. But that dosent matter when you are about 2 feet tall. People will automatically see you as a baby, and treat you as such. Your Str and Stm are lowered to one, and your Dex will have a max of 2 dots. Nothing you will try will make you age. At all.

Peter Pan Syndrome (medium-level, physical): Named for the fairy-tale character who had vowed never to grow up, the Peter Pan Syndrome effectively slows the physical development of a child nova to a standstill. You have the body of a 10 year old and a mind to match. No matter what, you will never learn more "subtle" lessons, like how not to annoy people, and you will be a bundle of energy. Stat limits are as they are in Child-like Appearance. Nothing you will try will make you age. At all.

Mega-App abberations:

(Minor): Has no shadow. ::ninja

(?) "Eye of the beholder": Everyone who sees this person sees someone different. Especially approprate in combo with seductive looks. ::crazy

(Medium or Major): Seductive Looks is always on. ::halo

(Major) Sheer Hideousness deserves a mention as a major App abberation even if it isn't new.

{And I wouldn't make a spouse immune to the "always blackmail" one above. Why do you think she married him to begin with? ::devil }

Mega-Manip abberations:

(Medium or Major): Trickster is always on, but only for 5 minutes. After that people always realize that they have been had. (Thus even a conversation about the weather can ruin a relationship) ::devil

(Medium or Major): "Born Loser": Some of us are just compelled to fail. If we can't fail on our own, we seek out people to "help" us. In addition to whatever overt manipulations this character does, he also subtly tries to manipulation people into opposing him or bring about the failure of his plans.

Example: Joe uses Trickster and Persuader to convince Jane to go away and not to ever see him again, so she goes to the nearest police station to turn him in.

Mega-Chr abberations:

(Medium or Major): "Sower of Discord" Anyone who is friends with anyone but you must be turned against their friend. The only exception would be if both people are already your slav...err...minions, and even then they had better be more friendly to you than to others (Center of Attention on steroids).

(Major): "Hate Puppet": Your Mega-Chr dice are always used to make people dislike you (the Mega-Chr equiv of Mega-App's Mega-Ugly). You automatically fail any non hate based rolls.

Something to note in the Chr section: Mega-Chr can be used to make people dislike you. There should be powers associated with that.

(Medium or Major): Trickster is always on, but only for 5 minutes. After that people always realize that they have been had. (Thus even a conversation about the weather can ruin a relationship)

::smiley1 LOL! \"Wait a minute... It's July, it's not gonna snow! Hey! Come back here!\"

(?) \"Eye of the beholder\": Everyone who sees this person sees someone different. Especially approprate in combo with seductive looks. 

Hmm.. I can actually see that as an enhancement as well, except it would overlap Mr. Nobody.

Here's a suggestion for a minor Megamanipulation (or possibly Megacharisma) aberration.

Negotiator

The character is so used to being able to bring others around to his/her point of view that he/she rarely even considers the possibility that he/she will fail. When the character is involved in any form of negotiations, he/she will cause them to drag out for much longer than they should (unless the dispute can be settled) because he/she simply will not give up the search for a compromise. In fact, the character will try to initiate negotiations even when it is ludicrous to do so (for example, imperiously walking up to a plasma-hurling nova on a killing spree asking to "discuss this like reasonable novas").

I'm not sure whether all of this is going to amount to anything with the possibility of White Wolf rereleasing some or all of the Aeoniverse gamelines, but here goes as far as my ideas for further Mega-Social aberrations. (I'll post the spiffed-up versions later)

Bestial Metamorphosis (Mega-Appearance, medium): The nova is ever-so-slowly changing to look like a humanoid animal. Example: the elite "Dog" from Aberrant:Worldwide 2 is turning into a humanoid schnauzer.

Mega-Devious (Mega-Manipulation, low): The nova compulsively uses only underhanded means to achieve his goals- she will work twice as hard to do something (even something nice) using crooked methods, ignoring the possibilities of honest/fair/open methods.

Flippant (Mega-Charisma, low): The nova is nearly incapable of taking anything seriously- this guy would make jokes about vultures at his mom's funeral! WP roll to respond to anything in a serious manner.

Prima Donna (Mega-Charisma, high): The nova is extremely self-centered and conceited, and insists that she be "in the spotlight". She considers herself the best in her field (not unlikely for a nova), and will not stand for impertinent upstarts and foolish judges who refuse to acknowledge her greatness.

I'll get these trimmed and polished soon... once I read through that RPGForum thread.

So be it! ::thumbsup I'm certainly not going to stop posting all of this on account of an unsubstantiated rumor! Give me a substantiated rumor at least! ::hehe

Be that as it may, I've got the updated aberrations listing here for you lot to look over. I've pretty much got the low- and medium-level aberrations for Mega-Appearance and Mega-Charisma taken care of. It's coming up with the high-level aberrations that've been giving me migraines! We should have two high-level aberrations for each Social Mega-Attribute, but so far I've only managed one! Some help would be appreciated here, folks. ::smile

[Re: Compulsive Blackmailer- A nova with this aberration wouldn't necessarily turn on her spouse, Alex- after all, he/she might qualify as a loved one.]

[Re: "Eye of the Beholder" - that name's already been taken- it's a mega-Perception aberration from Aberrant:Brainwaves. Sorry 'bout that! ::devilangel ]

I've also added my Mega-Social aberrations from the Aberrant Compendium here for ease of reference.

Anyhow, look 'em over and tell me what you think.

MEGA-SOCIAL ABERRATIONS

a: Low-level: Chromatic Hair, Distinctive Looks, Mega-Vanity, Sex Object*, Surreality*, Twisted Perspective.

b: Medium-level: Bestial Metamorphosis, Heartthrob*, No Dormancy, Object of Desire*, Shifting Features*.

a: Low-level: Altered Tongue, Compulsive Blackmailer, Greedy, Mega-Devious.

a: Low-level: Convivial, Flippant, Four-Color Caricature, Screwball Magnet, Soft Touch.

b: Medium-level: Glory Hound, Heartthrob*, Party Animal, Romance Junkie, Romantic Irresistibility*.

c: High-level: Prima Donna.

>Mega Appearance

Low Level-

Chromatic Hair: The nova's hair -all of it- is of a (usually) attractive color that isn't naturally found in baseline humans. Just about any hue is possible- bright blue, leaf green, cherry red, and pastel pink are just a few of the possibilities. Some novas even develop hair the color of polished metal- for example, Teardrop from Teen2M has bright silver hair. Since baseline teenagers and nonconformists have been dyeing their hair unnatural colors for over a decade (as of 2008), this doesn't draw quite as much attention as other minor physical aberrations do... unless someone gets close enough to the nova to realize that the supposed dye-job is in fact natural color! Oddly enough, several Japanese novas (and foreign novas who have been influenced by Japanese anime) have developed this aberration without the Taint that normally accompanies it. These novas also have been known to develop oddly-colored irises without Taint accumulation as well. (In game terms, these novas have taken both the Chromatic Hair and Aberrant Eyes aberrations as 1-point Flaws- see the Aberrant Player's Guide, page 92.)

Distinctive Looks: Something about the looks of a nova with this aberration really stands out in the minds of those who see her (or visual records of her). Whether it's something as blatant as smoldering sex appeal or as subtle as how the light hits her, this makes the nova's appearance quite unique. Unless she takes extreme measures to alter her appearance (via shapeshifting or cutting-edge cinematic special effects makeup), she is likely to be spotted and recognized on sight by anyone who's seen her before. In game terms, other people (novas, baselines, and psiads alike) will gain a difficulty bonus on all Perception rolls made to identify the nova equal to her Taint-derived difficulty penalty on social interactions with baselines. On the flipside, all rolls made for attempts to impersonate the nova with this aberration likewise suffer a difficulty penalty equal to her Taint-derived difficulty penalty on social interactions with baselines.

Mega-Vanity: Mega-Beautiful and Mega-Handsome novas who develop this aberration become obsessed with their personal appearance. These are the novas who simply cannot pass by a mirror without looking at themselves, and cleaning up their appearance if need be- even during combat! They dread the problems of aging (baldness, grey hair, wrinkled skin, sagging figures, etc), and will seek to become very good friends with any nova capable of using the Age Alteration technique of Temporal Manipulation. Flattery works very well on these novas, making them more vulnerable to certain Manipulation-based skills (+1 difficulty penalty to resist such attempts). Insulting or marring the looks of novas with this aberration is guaranteed to anger them- they suffer a difficulty penalty of +1 on all their rolls until the insult is avenged and the damage (even if it's nothing more than having mud thrown in the face) is corrected. Mega-Vain novas tend to resent other novas who have greater Mega-Appearance than their own, especially if they are romantic rivals of the Mega-Vain nova in question. (They can appreciate the Mega-Appearance of potential romantic partners just like anyone else!) In all of these cases, a Mega-Vain nova can make a Willpower roll (penalized by his or her permanent Taint, of course) to resist the urge to give in to his or her vanity whenever it is felt, even when it isn't the best time to indulge. The Storyteller may adjust the difficulty if the circumstances are especially tempting. The nova may spend a Willpower point to resist the effects of this aberration for one scene, but will feel distinctly uncomfortable doing so.

Sex Object: The nova is simply too attractive for his/her own good. Upon first meeting the nova, people attracted to members of the nova's gender must roll Willpower to avoid becoming lust-stricken by the nova and treating him/her as a sex object. The victim also suffers a penalty on the Willpower roll equal to the nova's Taint-derived penalty on rolls for social interactions with baselines. (If the victim is alone with the nova in a private setting, the roll is made with an additional +1 difficulties.) Those who succeed on the Willpower roll may act as they please. The actions of those who fail the roll will vary with their individual personalities- unabashed staring, deciding to stalk the nova, or simply acting like a blabbering idiot are all good possibilities. Those who botch the roll will seek to become intimate with the nova ASAP, although their tactics will vary with individual personalities, as noted above. Novas who develop this aberration often encounter jealousy from potential romantic rivals, for obvious reasons. When added to the difficulties of social interaction with someone who's determined to either become your significant other or get into your pants, it's not hard to understand why many such novas become recluses.

Surreality: Other people (including other novas!) will tend find a nova who develops this aberration to be irresistibly fascinating. (Victims must make a resisted Willpower roll vs. the nova's Mega-Appearance to resist, with a difficulty penalty equal to the nova's Taint-derived penalty on rolls for social interactions with baselines.) If a victim succeeds on the Willpower roll, he or she may act as he or she pleases. If they fail, people will stare at the nova and attempt to strike up conversations at inappropriate times in hope of getting to know the nova better. Worse still, criminals and other people of a less savory nature will always choose the nova over other potential targets for their illicit acts.

Twisted Perspective: Mega-Beautiful and Mega-Handsome novas who develop this aberration undergo a slight change in their ideas of human beauty. Having come to accept their superhuman attractiveness as the norm, such novas will find the unenhanced features of even the most gorgeous baselines to be homely, if not downright repulsive! Novas with this aberration have a -2 difficulty bonus to resist any seduction attempts made by baselines that are based on sexual attraction. The flipside of this is that these novas also have a difficulty penalty of +2 on all vision-based Perception rolls made to identify baselines by sight- after all, these novas likely won't even want to look at baselines if they can help it... As the nova's permanent Taint increases, so will the effects of this aberration- raise the value of the bonus (and penalty) by 1 point for every 2 points of permanent Taint accumulated after gaining this aberration.

Medium Level-

Bestial Metamorphosis: A nova with this aberration is ever-so-slowly changing into a humanoid animal. When this aberration first manifests, a small portion of the nova's anatomy (such as the lower face) will change to resemble that of a chosen animal. As the nova accumulates permanent Taint, ever-larger parts of the nova's body will be altered in this fashion. Depending on what kind of animal morphology the nova is developing, the nova may face certain physical difficulties as well as the inevitable social difficulties. For example: A nova who's turning into a snake-man might find his legs turning into a single serpentine trunk and tail, while an amphibious female nova might turn into a classical mermaid. And let's not forget the tailoring problems faced by a nova who's changing into a 173-cm tall humanoid flying squirrel! (Those darn patagia make wearing a tuxedo almost impossible, and most tailors don't do tail-flaps.)

Heartthrob: The nova is absolute dynamite when it comes to infatuating those people attracted to members of the nova's gender. The problem is that the nova is like this all the time, and can't turn off his or her sex appeal... (This should be restricted to novas with the Seductive Looks enhancement.) In game terms, any and all extra successes the nova may gain via the Seductive and/or Seductive Looks enhancements are effectively doubled for seduction rolls (not persuasion- the nova's victims will tend to hear only what they want to from the nova). The downside of this is that the bonus is applied to ANY action of the nova's that could be seen as seductive by his/her victims (Storyteller's decision). Also, the Storyteller will kindly make all Seduction rolls for the nova's player, and doesn't have to inform the player about it beforehand. Novas with this aberration will often have no idea that they've won a victim's affections- until the victim makes some moves of her/his own...

No Dormancy: The nova's self-image has changed drastically from what it was prior to his eruption. This aberration is especially common in novas who were markedly deficient in some way as baselines; such as having physical deformities or birth defects, being an invalid or disfigured by a disease, or simply being born ugly. As these problems are usually corrected as a byproduct of the eruption process, the nova will understandably have no desire whatsoever to return to his previous baseline existence, even temporarily. As a result, the nova cannot have the Dormancy background and will have to deal with the special problems of living as a nova 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Object of Desire: Something about the nova makes people want to possess him or her. Upon first meeting the nova, people attracted to him or her must make a resisted Willpower roll vs. the nova's Mega-Appearance. The victim also suffers a penalty on the Willpower roll equal to the nova's Taint-derived penalty on rolls for social interactions with baselines. Failing the roll means that the victim will see the nova as a commodity or treasure to be owned instead of as a person with his or her own desires and needs. (Just think of how certain rich folk manage to acquire their "trophy spouses", and how those spouses are treated after they've been landed.) The form that the ownership takes will vary with individual victims- some might settle for signing the nova to a contract or hauling off the nova to a wedding chapel, while others may take the idea of owning the nova all too literally... The nova's victims will be very possessive of him or her, and they will go to great lengths in order to either establish or retain their control over the nova.

Shifting Features: A nova with this aberration has partially lost control over the appearance of his body. The nova suffers from a shifting in his body weight, mass, and tissue colorations that is virtually unnoticeable from minute to minute, but can radically alter his features over the course of a few hours. While the changes are gradual, they are constant- the nova will look different enough within 24 hours to make him unrecognizeable as the same person on the basis of visual recognition. This unsettles baselines (and many novas), resulting in the nova suffering an additional +2 difficulty penalty on all Social rolls beyond making a first impression.

High Level-

>Mega-Manipulation

Low Level-

Altered Tongue: The tongue of a nova with this aberration has been changed in some way, usually one that reflects a common myth, superstition, or saying about manipulative folk. One nova's tongue might become forked like a snake's, while another's might turn the color of polished metallic silver. Unless the nova is in the habit of showing off his or her tongue in the manner of certain 1970s-era rock stars, this aberration is likely to remain unnoticed, barring attempts by others to become physically intimate with the nova.

Compulsive Blackmailer: The nova who develops this aberration becomes driven to learn how to get leverage against anyone and everyone she can- including her supposed friends and colleagues. What's more, she knows that the best way to do so is to learn all the secrets of those she hopes to influence, and the nova won't hesitate to betray someone's confidence if it means she'll take in a profit. Secrets that could get her vanished and/or killed are left alone- novas with this aberration are devious, not stupid. Nobody with any sense will trust the nova (if they know about her little hobby), but as the nova is likely to have assembled an impressive network of contacts and people who owe her favors, she probably won't care. There is one exception to this, though: If the nova still has family or a spouse that she cares about, she will neither try to dig up dirt on them nor knowingly place them in danger with her machinations. Whenever the nova has an opportunity to uncover someone's secrets, she must roll Willpower (with a penalty equal to her permanent Taint) to avoid digging up that dirty laundry. Furthermore, if the nova is prevented from investigating anyone for 24 hours, the nova will suffer a +1 difficulty penalty on all of her rolls until she can indulge her compulsion. The nova will suffer a cumulative +1 penalty for each 24 hour-period of deprivation past the first.

Greedy: A nova with this aberration has one main focus in his life: money. Lots of it. Family and friends are almost as inconsequential as "the good of human civilization" or "standing up for your fellow novas" as far as this nova is concerned. If the nova is offered a bribe, he must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) in order to refuse. If taking the bribe wouldn't result in people the nova cares about getting injured, the Willpower roll is made with an additional penalty of +1. These novas are the ones who drool over the prospect of overthrowing small nations for seven-figure contracts from DeVries...

Mega-Devious: Mega-Manipulative novas are some of the most devious people on the planet- they can find a thousand ways to cheat, deceive, coerce and swindle a mark and get off scot-free every time. One problem with that is that some Mega-Manipulative novas learn that lesson so well that they lose sight of less-underhanded alternatives. Novas who develop this aberration compulsively use only underhanded means to achieve their goals- cheating, coercion, weaseling, duping, swindles and betrayals are just a few of the tactics favored by the Mega-Devious. These novas will work at least twice as hard to do something (even if it's something nice for a loved one) using crooked methods that could be more easily achieved with aboveground methods, as they ignore the possibilities (and benefits) of employing more honest and fair methods. Such a nova must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to his or her permanent Taint) in order to attempt using an honest, aboveground method of achieving a chosen goal.

Medium Level-

Cannot Lie: A nova with this aberration has lost the ability to tell (or otherwise communicate) something that he knows is blatantly untruthful. In layman's terms, the nova can't tell bald-faced lies. This isn't as much of a handicap (or a safety margin, depending on your point of view) as one might expect, however. The nova can still deceive others by alternate means- he can mislead by omission or equivocation, and can use illusions to the fullest if he has the appropriate quantum powers to generate them. A nova with this aberration is not compelled to talk (unless he's forced to), but if he does he'll still be able to omit details and twist definitions to suit his purposes.

Pathological Liar: A nova with this aberration has developed a specific form of compulsive behavior that drives him to tell lies and deceive other people whenever he can. Whenever the nova has an opportunity to communicate with someone, he must roll Willpower (with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to avoid telling a lie. Furthermore, if the nova is prevented from communicating with (and lying to) anyone for 24 hours, the nova will suffer a +1 difficulty penalty on all of his rolls until he can lie to someone. The nova will suffer a cumulative +1 penalty for each 24 hour-period of deprivation past the first.

Trickster: A nova with this aberration (a specific form of compulsive behavior) lusts after the thrill of outwitting dangerous foes. This isn't the simple harassment of harmless and/or innocent folks- only foes who can present a genuine threat to the nova will be considered worthy targets for her mischievous activities. Depending on the situation, a "worthy target" might be a single powerful nova, a group of novas, or even a baseline organization! There doesn't have to be any actual need for the nova to go out and pick a fight (and there usually won't be)- the nova's desire for the thrills of a battle of wits and skill is all the justification she thinks she needs. The nova must choose and actively attempt to trick a dangerous target at least once every 24 hours. The nova may roll Willpower in order to restrain herself for a day, but she will suffer a cumulative +1 penalty on the Willpower roll for each day that she fights her own tendency for mischief. If the Willpower roll is failed, the nova will go looking for some trouble ASAP, even to the point of temporarily deserting her comrades if that's what it takes to satisfy her urge.

High Level-

>Mega-Charisma

Low Level-

Convivial: For a nova who develops this aberration, the company of other people (preferably in large numbers) is absolutely vital to his psychological well-being. This outright addiction to frequent social contact will lead the nova to ignore up to 2 points of any difficulty penalties on Social rolls that would otherwise apply- say, like when a highly-tainted nova tries to associate with her less-tainted colleagues... The nova will be utterly miserable when alone, and will suffer a +2 difficulty penalty on all Mental rolls when isolated in this manner. (Storyteller Note: This must be roleplayed!) If the nova is in a group of four or less, he'll be somewhat less than miserable, but he won't exactly be happy, either. In this case, the nova suffers only a +1 difficulty penalty on all Mental rolls until he's around a larger group of people.

Flippant: Novas with this aberration are nearly incapable of taking anything seriously- they will make jokes about about the manner of a man's death while speaking at his funeral! For some reason, they never quite manage to figure out why their audiences tend to turn hostile towards them... As could only be expected, this lack of respect for life, propriety, and the world in general tends to make these novas somewhat difficult to get along with. In all social situations where seriousness, politeness and courtesy are expected; these novas will suffer a difficulty penalty of +2 in addition to the normal Taint-derived penalty for social interaction with baselines.

Four-Color Caricature: Possibly as a result of reading too many third-rate comics as a kid, a nova with this aberration has bought heavily into the lore of the four-color superhero (or supervillain). This specific form of delusion will lead the nova to wear an outlandish costume (complete with utility belt), give unbearably corny speeches, and generally act as if he'd just stepped out of a Superfriends episode. This kind of behavior is extremely embarrassing to most other novas, who will ostracize and/or mock the nova if given the chance. In game terms, a nova with this aberration suffers a +2 difficulty penalty on all Social rolls with other novas who don't share his four-color worldview. While many baselines will idolize the nova as a living incarnation of what they think all novas should be; those with common sense will tend to think that the nova is 1: a clownish fool, 2: certifiably insane, 3: an elite wannabe, or 4: all of the above. The nova is quite likely to be a regular subject of trashy tabloid newspapers. Note: For some reason, all novas who develop this aberration possess neither the Common Sense Merit nor the Prudence enhancement of Mega-Wits.

Screwball Magnet: A nova with this aberration is so likeable and charming that she can attract friendly people to her without even trying. Unfortunately for the nova, not one of these new friends will be quite right in the head. All kinds of confused, eccentric, and downright insane people (including novas gone mad due to mental aberration) will regard the nova as being both appealing and sympathetic. They will invariably have a good initial reaction to the nova; and will want to tell her their life stories, whacked-out conspiracy theories, personal delusions, and so on. After having to listen about why scuba gear is vital attire for formal parties, how Project Utopia and the Teragen are both unwitting pawns of a conspiracy to prevent Lyndon LaRouche from saving Western Civilization from domination by the British Royal Family, and that the U.N. is secretly run by a hidden colony of gentically engineered hyperintelligent ringtail lemurs; even the most tolerant nova might become something of a recluse- or a misanthrope.

Soft Touch: A nova with this aberration has simply lost most of his better judgement where his compassion for other people is concerned. If a panhandler asks him for some change, the nova will tend be too open-handed to refuse, and will likely give cash instead of coins. If the nova sees someone in distress, he'll more than likely rush over and give whatever aid he can, even if he has pressing business elsewhere. The nova will listen sincerely to requests for large-scale financial aid and charitable donations where others would brush them off- he tends to fall for good hard-luck stories. (If the nova's flat broke at the time, he'll make profuse apologies for not being able to help out.) And yes, the nova will do his best to rescue kittens that have climbed up trees and are too scared to get back down by themselves. Note that novas with this aberration aren't hopeless suckers- they simply tend to feel guilty over having won their novahood in what is essentially a genetic lottery, and being better off than so many ordinary humans as a result. In game terms, the nova must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to avoid giving some sort of aid to those in need, even if ignoring the situation would be for his own benefit or that of the greater good. While this presents obvious difficulties in successfully carrying out missions, the nova will likely gain a positive reputation among devout Buddhists, Muslims, and many varieties of Christians; as well as the people he has helped.

Medium Level-

Glory Hound : This aberration is an extreme version of the Overconfidence Flaw (see the Aberrant Player's Guide, page 72). Whereas overconfident novas tend to overestimate their abilities, a nova with this aberration will do so to an absurd degree. She will invariably insist on doing whatever it takes to be in the spotlight- she'll take the greatest risks, lead the charge, and make complex plans that hinge on her abilities. In any situation where an assessment of the nova's abilities is a factor, the Storyteller will make glaringly obvious exaggerations. The nova must also make a Willpower roll at a difficulty penalty equal to her difficulty penalty on Social rolls for interacting with baselines to back down from a direct challenge to her abilities. Side effects of this aberration include a willingness to talk to the media, pose for photographs or video cameras, and sign autographs at the slightest opportunity. The nova may make a Willpower roll to resist the effects of this aberration for one scene, but will feel distinctly uncomfortable doing so. Novas with this aberration tend to be adored by the media, children, and teenagers; but are likewise regarded as egotistical jerks by their colleagues and fellow novas.

Heartthrob: Mega-Charismatic novas with the Seductive enhancement may also develop this aberration- see the full-length listing under Mega-Appearance aberrations for details.

Party Animal: A nova with this aberration has a hard time resisting the urge to party, and he will usually do so at the drop of a hat. The nova will try any kind of pharmaceutical party favor or beverage that is offered to him; and isn't picky about his romantic partners, provided that they're hot. He likes his music loud and trendy, and prefers to wake up at the crack of noon to a cold beer. If the nova isn't already regular at places like the Phoenix Room (aka the Amp Room prior to 2015) or StarLord's Cafe yet, he soon will be. In game terms, the nova must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to avoid joining or starting a party whenever the opportunity presents itself, even if the party is one that the nova should avoid attending for some reason (not being invited to a private party, people the nova should avoid are attending, or the nova is currently attempting to lie low and avoid attracting attention). He'll avoid empty bars and nightclubs in favor of ones that are filled with people- and if they're being quiet, the nova must roll Willpower (also with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to keep from doing his best to liven things up and get the party going. Once the party's started, the nova will always stay for an hour, after which he may make another Willpower roll- if the roll fails, he'll stay at the party until he's thrown out or the party winds down on its own. Additionally, the nova will suffer a further +1 difficulty penalty on all Social rolls for interactions with sober-minded people- extremely dour folk such as fundamentalists will incur a penalty of +2 or worse! The flipside of this is that the nova gains a -1 difficulty bonus on all Social rolls with extroverted people and other folk who love a good party.

Romance Junkie: Sometime during the mid-Twentieth Century, the feeling of sexual attraction came to be referred to in slang as "chemistry". Ironically this term is quite accurate: the human brain produces a natural "love potion" known as phenylethylamine (PEA) that acts as the chemical basis for sexual attraction. And like many other mind-altering substances, it is possible for humans to become addicted to it- and novas are no exception. Whenever a nova with this aberration has any sort of encounter with an attractive member of the gender he or she is oriented towards, a Willpower roll must be made (with a penalty equal to the nova's permanent Taint) to avoid falling in love with that person. As a result of this addiction/compulsion, the nova will fall all over him- or herself trying to please his or her current beloved. Additionally, the nova must also make a Willpower roll (again with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to resist a request from his or her beloved. If she deems it appropriate, the Storyteller might alter the penalty depending on how much fulfilling the request would cost the nova. If the nova's beloved accepts his or her affections, the nova will become the stereotypical overpossessive boy- or girlfriend- the nova will be despondent when his or her object of affection isn't around, extremely jealous if others show an interest in his or her beloved, and generally oblivious to the world unless outside circumstances threaten the nova's relationship. The nova will also engage in frequent PDA's- public displays of affection- regardless of whether or not such acts are a bad idea or simply inappropriate at the time. It should be noted that the nova's beloved doesn't have to be sincere in accepting the nova's affection in order to keep the nova living in this romantic daze. Unless the nova has some means of detecting the lack of real affection on part of his or her beloved or is presented with strong evidence that proves it, he or she will have to make a Willpower roll (with the Taint penalty) in order to realize the faithlessness of his or her beloved. Otherwise, the relationship could go on for years, decades, or centuries! If the nova's beloved rejects his or her affections or if the nova cannot meet anyone appealing, he or she will become depressed (and suffer a +1 difficulty penalty on all rolls) until he or she encounters another attractive person of the correct gender...

Romantic Irresistibility: A nova with this aberration has a dangerous knack for making people attracted to members of the nova's gender fall in love with him or her without any warning. If such a person makes eye contact with the nova, she/he must make a resisted Willpower roll against the nova's total dice pool for Seduction. The victim also suffers a penalty on the Willpower roll equal to the nova's Taint-derived penalty on rolls for social interactions with baselines. The number of net successes gained by the nova determines the degree of love-sickness the victim develops. One success indicates a mild crush, while 5 or more indicates a haunting obsession. The victim will have no reason (at first) to believe that his or her feelings for the nova aren't genuine- depending on how things develop with the nova, they may soon actually become genuine! This effect is impossible for the nova to predict or guard against, and occurs without any warning (read: the Storyteller has total control over when, where, and with whom this happens. This is best used for purposes of subplot or pure mischief on the Storyteller's part!). Novas who develop this aberration soon find that their social lives will rival the most convoluted soap-opera plots ever to grace the schedules of daytime television.

High Level-

Prima Donna: The nova with this aberration is extremely self-centered and conceited, and insists that she be recognized by people the world over as literally being the best in her field (not wholly unreasonable for a nova). If the nova hears that someone is better at her chosen pursuit than she is, she will seek to challenge the "upstart" to a public competition ASAP to determine who is the proverbial "Number 1". The nova will use the reactions of the competition's audience as the indicator or victory or loss. If the nova wins the competition, she will limit herself to verbal gloating over her victory. It's when the nova loses that things will get hairy- the nova will then and there vow to make her rival's life a living hell, and then proceed to do so. Novas with this aberration will rack up impressive lists of enemies, to say the least. (Note: This aberration is in no way limited to female novas- male novas can be every bit as conceited and egotistical!)

And I'm off to the next page of the DSMV-4... ::laugh

::blink Wait.. No Dormancy? Has that been posted before?

Why would you even consider that for an aberration at all, much less a medium-level one? If you wanted to play a character that couldn't dorm' down, you could just not buy any dormancy. There's no reason for the player to get the benefits of taking an aberration for that!

I think it's broken. ::confused

I tend to agree with Pheonix with No Dormancy not seeming to be a strong enough canidate for the book, while it is a good mechanic of removing Dormancy from a character, I think it should really be a Quantum aberration. Though if it was still included it should probably be a High level aberration (my reasoning is that a permanent power is high level, and a permanently removed background should be high also...its akin to removing any other resource say Big Spender removes resources, Blown Fuse removes Node...etc.)

Now I really like all of the other listed aberrations ::smile

And I had a couple thoughts ::dozingoff on aberrations and on High Level Aberrations:

Just a reminder that in the main book all aberrations are grouped together (only sorted by the three degrees of aberrations), and in the PG, they are further subdivided into Physical Mental and Quantum. So while we are introducing new aberrations, they do not have to be focuses on any one mega-attribute. I'm pointing this obvious fact out in the hopes of inspiring new ideas outside this accepted attribute driven viewset we all use. (i.e. something that straddles the line between a mega-social and a quantum aberration, or even bleeds into a mega-mental or mega-physical aspect.)

High-Level Aberration idea:

*Perfect Mimic - A nova inflicted with this Aberration automatically impersonates the body language and tone of voice of the most dominant person in the immediate area when speaking or moving. This impersonation is so good that it is blatently obvious who you are mimicking. Unfortunately this aberration forces you to overstate their worst aparent flaws and possibly less aparent flaws that only the immitating nova may know. A Perfect Mimic is often a very sad lonely person, since few people want to be mocked continuously, but a nova with a high Willpower, or Compartmentalized Mind might be able to hold off its effects for a scene or two.

This grants the afflicted nova a -2 difficulty bonus if their intent is either to enrage the mimicked persona, or to entertain on-lookers. This aberration also incurs a +1 social difficulty when seriousness and solemnity is expected. This aberration does not force the nova to act out, but when the novas does act it is always in the movement and manner of another (its not explicitly humorous, but it is distracting to those present).

just 2 more cents from me.

your right, We do need at least 2 high for each.

Appearance:

Constant Mimic (High): Where perfect mimic constantly imitates the actions around them ad constant mimic imitates the looks of the people around them. As a person spends more time with a person or a group of people they begin to look more and more like them!

Cherisma:

Sponge (High): You are so used to people doing things for you that you nearly expect them to. You go what you can to get your foot in the door and once you do, your like Saddam Hussain to Satan in the southpark movie (sans being thrown into a spike)!

Mind you, I suck at writing these (I think I said that before...) but if you see anything you like take it and make it look pretty.

By the by...any thoughts, ideas, or critiques for my initial cult writeup?

A high level aberration? Are you insane?

That aberration is self-defeating, because while it does force the nova to deal with the problems of novahood 24/7, it lessens those problems by orders of magnitude. Take away even one high level aberration, and the nova might no longer have any reason to dorm' down.

"No Dorm" should be axed for the previously given reasons. Note that beyond a certain point, Dorm can't cover up abberations in any case. (Especially Dorm=1).

"Bestial Metamorphosis" should also be axed. It describes a theme, not a single abberation. The snake lady could have (minor: reptile eyes & skin), (medium: no nose, reptile jaw), (major: no legs, no arms) and all of these would be under the theme of "Bestial Metamorphosis". Each of these in turn is its own abberation and should be treated as such. Moving all of these things (especially the legs and arms) under one abberation is a bit much.

For high level mega abberations, just take other high level abberations and use their social skill equiv. "Sheer Hideousness" becomes "Hate Puppet". "Jinxed/Cursed" becomes "Born Loser" (both from my previous post).

::blink It's not often that I've gotten this level of response to any of my postings! I'll see what questions I can answer for you right now. ::devil

Re: No Dormancy- this was inspired by the Eufiber Rejection aberration/flaw from the Aberrant Player's Guide. Basically it prevents the nova from gaining/using the Eufiber background. Ever. I can see an argument for knocking it down to a low-level aberration, but not having the option of dorming down is still a viable problem to inflict on a deserving nova. ::hehe

Re: Bestial Aberration- Yes, Mr. Green, it's a "theme" instead of a single, specific aberration. Face it- unless you feel like helping us put out a book where over two-thirds of the material describes "animalistic" aberrations, we should try to keep things generalized. Take another look at the elite known as "Dog" from Aberrant:Worldwide 2. That guy's got 6 points of Taint, and is only beginning his transformation. I'm sure you could think of a couple of low-level aberrations that he'd be eligible for. Besides, the comics are full of superhumans that look like humanoid animals... ::devilangel

Re: Adapting Jinx/Sheer Hideousness/etc.- We're trying to come up with original aberrations here, Mr. Green. Any clown with a copy of the Aberrant Player's Guide can simply rename an existing aberration.

Re: Sponge- this one sounds good, Bahamut- I think I'll take a shot at it. ::cool

Re: Constant Mimic- not sure about this one- didn't Woody Allen portray this in the movie Zelig?

I'll be back in a day or two with some more aberrations -and a revised outline, if necessary. Seeya! ::laugh

Re: No Dormancy- this was inspired by the Eufiber Rejection aberration/flaw from the Aberrant Player's Guide. Basically it prevents the nova from gaining/using the Eufiber background. Ever. I can see an argument for knocking it down to a low-level aberration, but not having the option of dorming down is still a viable problem to inflict on a deserving nova. 

::dry Maybe as a low-level aberration, but the player still has the option of just not choosing it if they want dormancy, so it doesn't restrict them at all. Not all that many novas use dormancy.

Does eufiber rejection cause rejection of any eufiber-derived substance?

Re: Adapting Jinx/Sheer Hideousness/etc.- We're trying to come up with original aberrations here, Mr. Green. Any clown with a copy of the Aberrant Player's Guide can simply rename an existing aberration.

But that doesn't mean we should try and pass off old aberrations as new ones. Hate puppet is basically just Sheer Hideousness with a different source and a way watered-down effect.

Re: Constant Mimic- not sure about this one- didn't Woody Allen portray this in the movie Zelig?

Never saw it, but he is a shining example of a high Taint Nova in ANY of his films.... ::biggrin seriously I felt that this would be a bit of aberration that stradled both social and mental taint. But if it doesn't fit or we develop more high level aberrations I'll drop-kick it to next Tuesday!! ::hehe

Right, the cult/Church of (get french name for pain and/or suffering), seemed pretty straight forward for a dark/scary cult of Evil... Almost a high powered Church of Astaroth ::devil ...With Taint. ::devilangel I like the art focus, and perhaps a couple insights on a couple of additional high ranking members (a painter or Tattoo artist, and some avaunte garde performance artist??? just thoughts ::biggrin ) at least mentioning caracatures of them, i.e. not stats or full backgrounds but a brief sentence or two high-lighting other members for additioanl ST inspiration.

I think some discussion of its base-line impact (maybe that can be a N! interview with a base-line artist that either hates or loves their "art"), as well as how public this church is, and how much media attention it gets, perhaps the French population has heard rumors about how dark they are, or does the public know nothing??

And as a slightly off topic question: do you or your Storytellers LETS You pick your aberrations after a story begins??? ::blink When I have played we always Had the Storyteller pick them, based on how we earned the majority of our new taint...

Re: No Dormancy- this was inspired by the Eufiber Rejection aberration/flaw from the Aberrant Player's Guide. Basically it prevents the nova from gaining/using the Eufiber background. Ever. I can see an argument for knocking it down to a low-level aberration, but not having the option of dorming down is still a viable problem to inflict on a deserving nova. ::hehe
True, but as a flaw, not as an abberation.
Re: Bestial Aberration- Yes, Mr. Green, it's a \"theme\" instead of a single, specific abberation.
And it deserves mention as such. It is much more interesting to have a theme than to pull out random abberations.
Hate Puppet is unique. All that wonderful Mega-Chr that you have been developing can only be used now to make people hate you. Hand *that* to a movie star and he will know that he has a major abberation. If constantly making people fall in love you is medium, then raw hate should be good for a major.

All right, then. Here's my latest volley of replies. ::smile

Re: No Dormancy- For as long as I've been playing Aberrant, I've yet to hear of any player being allowed to choose what aberrations his character develops, folks. The only exception to this would be aberrations gained through the Teragen's Chrysalis. No Dormancy would then only be applied to novas who already have the Dormancy background, and is an excellent way to show the player just how much he has to lose if his nova accumulates permanent Taint. I will make it a low-level aberration, though.

Re: Eufiber Rejection- the quantum energies of a nova with this aberration begins killing real eufiber as soon as the nova tries to wear and/or use it. As I understand it, the synthetic stuff isn't useable for the Eufiber background.

Re: Bestial Metamorphosis- That last remark of yours was a bit unclear, Mr. Green. Are you for it or against it? ::confused If you're against it, I'd like to hear your take on Dog's (from Aberrant:Worldwide 2) aberrations. As it is, slowly changing into a humanoid animal is still a worthy aberration from my viewpoint. Or haven't you seen the original version of The Fly? ::devil

Re: Hate Puppet and other hate-oriented Mega-Charisma aberrations- Here's an idea, then: why don't you try to write them up as polished entries, Mr. Green? I'm currently doing my best to come up with aberrations for Mega-Manipulation (which was never my strong suit)- changing gears to think about negative Mega-Charisma is a bit of a switch. If anything it'll be great practice for whatever else you'd like to contribute to the book and/or the EON site. ::halo

Re: Addictive Visage, Negotiator- I'm taking a shot at polishing these aberrations too. Thanks to whoever came up with them.

Here's what I've got so far for our aberrations section- it'll be updated again in a few days.

MEGA-SOCIAL ABERRATIONS

a: Low-level: Chromatic Hair, Distinctive Looks, Mega-Vanity, No Dormancy, Sex Object*, Strange Scent, Surreality*, Twisted Perspective.

b: Medium-level: Bestial Metamorphosis, Heartthrob*, Object of Desire*, Shifting Features*.

a: Low-level: Altered Tongue, Compulsive Blackmailer, Dictator, Greedy, Mega-Devious.

a: Low-level: Convivial, Flippant, Four-Color Caricature, Screwball Magnet, Soft Touch.

b: Medium-level: Glory Hound, Heartthrob*, Party Animal, Romance Junkie, Romantic Irresistibility*.

c: High-level: Prima Donna, Sponge (being assembled).

>Mega Appearance

Low Level-

Mega-Vanity: Mega-Beautiful and Mega-Handsome novas who develop this aberration become obsessed with their personal appearance. These are the novas who simply cannot pass by a mirror without looking at themselves, and cleaning up their appearance if need be- even during combat! They dread the problems of aging (baldness, grey hair, wrinkled skin, sagging figures, etc), and will seek to become very good friends with any nova capable of using the Age Alteration technique of Temporal Manipulation. Flattery works very well on these novas, making them more vulnerable to certain Manipulation-based skills (+1 difficulty penalty to resist such attempts). Insulting or marring the looks of novas with this aberration is guaranteed to anger them- they suffer a difficulty penalty of +1 on all their rolls until the insult is avenged and the damage (even if it's nothing more than having mud thrown in the face) is corrected. Mega-Vain novas tend to resent other novas who have greater Mega-Appearance than their own, especially if they are romantic rivals of the Mega-Vain nova in question. (They can appreciate the Mega-Appearance of potential romantic partners just like anyone else!) In all of these cases, a Mega-Vain nova can make a Willpower roll (penalized by his or her permanent Taint, of course) to resist the urge to give in to his or her vanity whenever it is felt, even when it isn't the best time to indulge. The Storyteller may adjust the difficulty if the circumstances are especially tempting. The nova may spend a Willpower point to resist the effects of this aberration for one scene, but will feel distinctly uncomfortable doing so.

No Dormancy: The nova's self-image has changed drastically from what it was prior to his eruption. As a result, the nova cannot have the Dormancy background and will have to deal with the special problems of living as a nova 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This aberration is especially common in novas who were markedly deficient in some way as baselines; such as having physical deformities or birth defects, being an invalid or disfigured by a disease, or simply being born ugly. As these problems are usually corrected as a byproduct of the eruption process, the nova will understandably have no desire whatsoever to return to his previous baseline existence, even temporarily.

Sex Object: The nova is simply too attractive for his/her own good. Upon first meeting the nova, people attracted to members of the nova's gender must roll Willpower to avoid becoming lust-stricken by the nova and treating him/her as a sex object. The victim also suffers a penalty on the Willpower roll equal to the nova's Taint-derived penalty on rolls for social interactions with baselines. (If the victim is alone with the nova in a private setting, the roll is made with an additional +1 difficulties.) Those who succeed on the Willpower roll may act as they please. The actions of those who fail the roll will vary with their individual personalities- unabashed staring, deciding to stalk the nova, or simply acting like a blabbering idiot are all good possibilities. Those who botch the roll will seek to become intimate with the nova ASAP, although their tactics will vary with individual personalities, as noted above. Novas who develop this aberration often encounter jealousy from potential romantic rivals, for obvious reasons. When added to the difficulties of social interaction with someone who's determined to either become your significant other or get into your pants, it's not hard to understand why many such novas become recluses.

Strange Scent: A nova with this aberration has a natural body odor that smells like nothing a normal human body is capable of producing. The scent can be literally anything, although Mega-Attractive novas will produce pleasant scents (such as roses, fresh sea spray, or cedar wood). Mega-Ugly novas produce unpleasant scents (such as sulfur, decaying flesh, or fresh sewage). Mega-Ugly novas will suffer an additional +1 difficulty penalty on Social rolls for interacting with baselines and less-tainted novas. Mega-Attractive novas will only suffer that penalty if the baseline or nova in question is allergic to or simply dislikes what would ordinarily be considered a pleasant scent. All attempts to track a nova with this aberration by scent are made with a -1 difficulty bonus.

Surreality: Other people (including other novas!) will tend find a nova who develops this aberration to be irresistibly fascinating. (Victims must make a resisted Willpower roll vs. the nova's Mega-Appearance to resist, with a difficulty penalty equal to the nova's Taint-derived penalty on rolls for social interactions with baselines.) If a victim succeeds on the Willpower roll, he or she may act as he or she pleases. If they fail, people will stare at the nova and attempt to strike up conversations at inappropriate times in hope of getting to know the nova better. Worse still, criminals and other people of a less savory nature will always choose the nova over other potential targets for their illicit acts.

Twisted Perspective: Mega-Beautiful and Mega-Handsome novas who develop this aberration undergo a slight change in their ideas of human beauty. Having come to accept their superhuman attractiveness as the norm, such novas will find the unenhanced features of even the most gorgeous baselines to be homely, if not downright repulsive! Novas with this aberration have a -2 difficulty bonus to resist any seduction attempts made by baselines that are based on sexual attraction. The flipside of this is that these novas also have a difficulty penalty of +2 on all vision-based Perception rolls made to identify baselines by sight- after all, these novas likely won't even want to look at baselines if they can help it... As the nova's permanent Taint increases, so will the effects of this aberration- raise the value of the bonus (and penalty) by 1 point for every 2 points of permanent Taint accumulated after gaining this aberration.

Medium Level-

Bestial Metamorphosis: A nova with this aberration is ever-so-slowly changing into a humanoid animal. When this aberration first manifests, a small portion of the nova's anatomy (such as the lower face) will change to resemble that of a chosen animal. As the nova accumulates permanent Taint, ever-larger parts of the nova's body will be altered in this fashion. Depending on what kind of animal morphology the nova is developing, the nova may face certain physical difficulties as well as the inevitable social difficulties. For example: A nova who's turning into a snake-man might find his legs turning into a single serpentine trunk and tail, while an amphibious female nova might turn into a classical mermaid. And let's not forget the tailoring problems faced by a nova who's changing into a 173-cm tall humanoid flying squirrel! (Those darn patagia make wearing a tuxedo almost impossible, and most tailors don't do tail-flaps.)

Heartthrob: The nova is absolute dynamite when it comes to infatuating those people attracted to members of the nova's gender. The problem is that the nova is like this all the time, and can't turn off his or her sex appeal... (This should be restricted to novas with the Seductive Looks enhancement.) In game terms, any and all extra successes the nova may gain via the Seductive and/or Seductive Looks enhancements are effectively doubled for seduction rolls (not persuasion- the nova's victims will tend to hear only what they want to from the nova). The downside of this is that the bonus is applied to ANY action of the nova's that could be seen as seductive by his/her victims (Storyteller's decision). Also, the Storyteller will kindly make all Seduction rolls for the nova's player, and doesn't have to inform the player about it beforehand. Novas with this aberration will often have no idea that they've won a victim's affections- until the victim makes some moves of her/his own...

Object of Desire: Something about the nova makes people want to possess him or her. Upon first meeting the nova, people attracted to him or her must make a resisted Willpower roll vs. the nova's Mega-Appearance. The victim also suffers a penalty on the Willpower roll equal to the nova's Taint-derived penalty on rolls for social interactions with baselines. Failing the roll means that the victim will see the nova as a commodity or treasure to be owned instead of as a person with his or her own desires and needs. (Just think of how certain rich folk manage to acquire their "trophy spouses", and how those spouses are treated after they've been landed.) The form that the ownership takes will vary with individual victims- some might settle for signing the nova to a contract or hauling off the nova to a wedding chapel, while others may take the idea of owning the nova all too literally... The nova's victims will be very possessive of him or her, and they will go to great lengths in order to either establish or retain their control over the nova.

Shifting Features: A nova with this aberration has partially lost control over the appearance of his body. The nova suffers from a shifting in his body weight, mass, and tissue colorations that is virtually unnoticeable from minute to minute, but can radically alter his features over the course of a few hours. While the changes are gradual, they are constant- the nova will look different enough within 24 hours to make him unrecognizeable as the same person on the basis of visual recognition. This unsettles baselines (and many novas), resulting in the nova suffering an additional +2 difficulty penalty on all Social rolls beyond making a first impression.

High Level-

>Mega-Manipulation

Low Level-

Dictator: Mega-Manipulative novas can usually do a good job of being a leader- they know when (and when not) to apply control over their minions, and how much control to use without being heavy-handed. For a nova with this aberration, however, there's simply no such thing as "too much control". If the nova has any authority over other people (even if it's something as trivial as being the head of a household or a gang leader), she must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to her permanent Taint) to avoid trying to control every aspect of her minions' activities when they're under her authority. For example, a nova who's the director of a dance company would lord it over the dancers during their performances and practice sessions; but she wouldn't care much about their personal lives unless they interfered with the dancer's obligations to the dance company. This changes as the nova accumulates permanent Taint: at 6-7 dots of Taint, the scope of the nova's power-trip will widen to include all aspects of her underlings' lives. At 8-10 dots of Taint, the nova will become obsessive (as per the Addiction/Compulsion Flaw on pg. 71 of the Aberrant Player's Guide) about maintaining total control over her underlings- even if it means disposing of those who try to escape from her domination. Novas who develop this aberration often end up forming cults around themselves in order to satisfy their totalitarian urges.

Greedy: A nova with this aberration has one main focus in his life: money. Lots of it. Family and friends are almost as inconsequential as "the good of human civilization" or "standing up for your fellow novas" as far as this nova is concerned. If the nova is offered a bribe, he must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) in order to refuse. If taking the bribe wouldn't result in people the nova cares about getting injured, the Willpower roll is made with an additional penalty of +1. These novas are the ones who drool over the prospect of overthrowing small nations for seven-figure contracts from DeVries...

Mega-Devious: Mega-Manipulative novas are some of the most devious people on the planet- they can find a thousand ways to cheat, deceive, coerce and swindle a mark and get off scot-free every time. One problem with that is that some Mega-Manipulative novas learn that lesson so well that they lose sight of less-underhanded alternatives. Novas who develop this aberration compulsively use only underhanded means to achieve their goals- cheating, coercion, weaseling, duping, swindles and betrayals are just a few of the tactics favored by the Mega-Devious. These novas will work at least twice as hard to do something (even if it's something nice for a loved one) using crooked methods that could be more easily achieved with aboveground methods, as they ignore the possibilities (and benefits) of employing more honest and fair methods. Such a nova must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to his or her permanent Taint) in order to attempt using an honest, aboveground method of achieving a chosen goal.

Medium Level-

High Level-

>Mega-Charisma

Low Level-

Flippant: Novas with this aberration are nearly incapable of taking anything seriously- they will make jokes about about the manner of a man's death while speaking at his funeral! For some reason, they never quite manage to figure out why their audiences tend to turn hostile towards them... As could only be expected, this lack of respect for life, propriety, and the world in general tends to make these novas somewhat difficult to get along with. In all social situations where seriousness, politeness and courtesy are expected; these novas will suffer a difficulty penalty of +2 in addition to the normal Taint-derived penalty for social interaction with baselines.

Screwball Magnet: A nova with this aberration is so likeable and charming that she can attract friendly people to her without even trying. Unfortunately for the nova, not one of these new friends will be quite right in the head. All kinds of confused, eccentric, and downright insane people (including novas gone mad due to mental aberration) will regard the nova as being both appealing and sympathetic. They will invariably have a good initial reaction to the nova; and will want to tell her their life stories, whacked-out conspiracy theories, personal delusions, and so on. After having to listen about why scuba gear is vital attire for formal parties, how Project Utopia and the Teragen are both unwitting pawns of a conspiracy to prevent Lyndon LaRouche from saving Western Civilization from domination by the British Royal Family, and that the U.N. is secretly run by a hidden colony of gentically engineered hyperintelligent ringtail lemurs; even the most tolerant nova might become something of a recluse- or a misanthrope.

Medium Level-

Glory Hound : This aberration is an extreme version of the Overconfidence Flaw (see the Aberrant Player's Guide, page 72). Whereas overconfident novas tend to overestimate their abilities, a nova with this aberration will do so to an absurd degree. She will invariably insist on doing whatever it takes to be in the spotlight- she'll take the greatest risks, lead the charge, and make complex plans that hinge on her abilities. In any situation where an assessment of the nova's abilities is a factor, the Storyteller will make glaringly obvious exaggerations. The nova must also make a Willpower roll at a difficulty penalty equal to her difficulty penalty on Social rolls for interacting with baselines to back down from a direct challenge to her abilities. Side effects of this aberration include a willingness to talk to the media, pose for photographs or video cameras, and sign autographs at the slightest opportunity. The nova may make a Willpower roll to resist the effects of this aberration for one scene, but will feel distinctly uncomfortable doing so. Novas with this aberration tend to be adored by the media, children, and teenagers; but are likewise regarded as egotistical jerks by their colleagues and fellow novas.

Heartthrob: Mega-Charismatic novas with the Seductive enhancement may also develop this aberration- see the full-length listing under Mega-Appearance aberrations for details.

Party Animal: A nova with this aberration has a hard time resisting the urge to party, and he will usually do so at the drop of a hat. The nova will try any kind of pharmaceutical party favor or beverage that is offered to him; and isn't picky about his romantic partners, provided that they're hot. He likes his music loud and trendy, and prefers to wake up at the crack of noon to a cold beer. If the nova isn't already a regular at places like the Phoenix Room (aka the Amp Room prior to 2015) or StarLord's Cafe yet, he soon will be. In game terms, the nova must make a Willpower roll (with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to avoid joining or starting a party whenever the opportunity presents itself, even if the party is one that the nova should avoid attending for some reason (not being invited to a private party, people the nova should avoid are attending, or the nova is currently attempting to lie low and avoid attracting attention). He'll avoid empty bars and nightclubs in favor of ones that are filled with people- and if they're being quiet, the nova must roll Willpower (also with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to keep from doing his best to liven things up and get the party going. Once the party's started, the nova will always stay for an hour, after which he may make another Willpower roll- if the roll fails, he'll stay at the party until he's thrown out or the party winds down on its own. Additionally, the nova will suffer a further +1 difficulty penalty on all Social rolls for interactions with sober-minded people- extremely dour folk such as fundamentalists will incur a penalty of +2 or worse! The flipside of this is that the nova gains a -1 difficulty bonus on all Social rolls with extroverted people and other folk who love a good party.

Romance Junkie: Sometime during the mid-Twentieth Century, the feeling of sexual attraction came to be referred to in slang as "chemistry". Ironically this term is quite accurate: the human brain produces a natural "love potion" known as phenylethylamine (PEA) that acts as the chemical basis for sexual attraction. And like many other mind-altering substances, it is possible for humans to become addicted to it- and novas are no exception. Whenever a nova with this aberration has any sort of encounter with an attractive member of the gender he or she is oriented towards, a Willpower roll must be made (with a penalty equal to the nova's permanent Taint) to avoid falling in love with that person. As a result of this addiction/compulsion, the nova will fall all over him- or herself trying to please his or her current beloved. Additionally, the nova must also make a Willpower roll (again with a penalty equal to his permanent Taint) to resist a request from his or her beloved. If she deems it appropriate, the Storyteller might alter the penalty depending on how much fulfilling the request would cost the nova. If the nova's beloved accepts his or her affections, the nova will become the stereotypical overpossessive boy- or girlfriend- the nova will be despondent when his or her object of affection isn't around, extremely jealous if others show an interest in his or her beloved, and generally oblivious to the world unless outside circumstances threaten the nova's relationship. The nova will also engage in frequent PDA's- public displays of affection- regardless of whether or not such acts are a bad idea or simply inappropriate at the time. It should be noted that the nova's beloved doesn't have to be sincere in accepting the nova's affection in order to keep the nova living in this romantic daze. Unless the nova has some means of detecting the lack of real affection on part of his or her beloved or is presented with strong evidence that proves it, he or she will have to make a Willpower roll (with the Taint penalty) in order to realize the faithlessness of his or her beloved. Otherwise, the relationship could go on for years, decades, or centuries! If the nova's beloved rejects his or her affections or if the nova cannot meet anyone appealing, he or she will become depressed (and suffer a +1 difficulty penalty on all rolls) until he or she encounters another attractive person of the correct gender...

Romantic Irresistibility: A nova with this aberration has a dangerous knack for making people attracted to members of the nova's gender fall in love with him or her without any warning. If such a person makes eye contact with the nova, she/he must make a resisted Willpower roll against the nova's total dice pool for Seduction. The victim also suffers a penalty on the Willpower roll equal to the nova's Taint-derived penalty on rolls for social interactions with baselines. The number of net successes gained by the nova determines the degree of love-sickness the victim develops. One success indicates a mild crush, while 5 or more indicates a haunting obsession. The victim will have no reason (at first) to believe that his or her feelings for the nova aren't genuine- depending on how things develop with the nova, they may soon actually become genuine! This effect is impossible for the nova to predict or guard against, and occurs without any warning (read: the Storyteller has total control over when, where, and with whom this happens. This is best used for purposes of subplot or pure mischief on the Storyteller's part!). Novas who develop this aberration soon find that their social lives will rival the most convoluted soap-opera plots ever to grace the schedules of daytime television.

High Level-

Prima Donna: The nova with this aberration is extremely self-centered and conceited, and insists that she be recognized by people the world over as literally being the best in her field (not wholly unreasonable for a nova). If the nova hears that someone is better at her chosen pursuit than she is, she will seek to challenge the "upstart" to a public competition ASAP to determine who is the proverbial "Number 1". The nova will use the reactions of the competition's audience as the indicator or victory or loss. If the nova wins the competition, she will limit herself to verbal gloating over her victory. It's when the nova loses that things will get hairy- the nova will then and there vow to make her rival's life a living hell, and then proceed to do so. Novas with this aberration will rack up impressive lists of enemies, to say the least. (Note: This aberration is in no way limited to female novas- male novas can be every bit as conceited and egotistical!)

See you folks later...

Eufiber Rejection does more than simply prevent a character from gaining the Eufiber Background - it kills Eufiber that's in contact with him for more than an hour or so - preventing him from ever wearing eufiber clothing (no matter if he has the Background or not), using eufiber-based computer networks, & many similar things. It's closer to the Black Thumb or Contagious aberrations than anything.

No Dormancy simply removes a Background option from a character &, as it is, doesn't seem harsh enough to qualify as an aberration to me. Take it a stage further & make it more of a penalty - the character can't internalise or conceal his Quantum energies at all &, in fact, radiates as a beacon to anyone trying to sense those energies. Node sensing attempts automatically work against the character (no roll required), & all Quantum-sensing abilities detect the character at double the usual range. You could change the name to 'Quantum Beacon' (the lack of Dormancy being just one element of the aberration).

Chromatic Hair, as written, I feel has little scope for expansion as the character increases in Taint. Make it Aberrant Hair & it could start with something as simple as animé-style & colour hair, & (when the character's Taint increases) develop into something worse (e.g. snakes or fire or fog instead of hair).

Chromatic Hair, as written, I feel has little scope for expansion as the character increases in Taint. Make it Aberrant Hair & it could start with something as simple as animé-style & colour hair, & (when the character's Taint increases) develop into something worse (e.g. snakes or fire or fog instead of hair).

We need to remove the phrase "anime-style" from that...I dont think anyone wants to see Aberrants version of Goku... ::shudder::

Archived