Aberrant RPG - Unnatural Disasters

Reighnhell

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, they could... ::devil it's called a botch... ::devil

seriously, i'm not sure, a creative player could talk their way into getting those effects. it would also depend on the st. i make it painfully easy to change the weather patterns of an area, and then make the characters wonder if the freak hurricane off the coast of maine and the 137 deaths that went with it was really their fault. i also make it very easy to lose control on a more local level and accidently fry by-standers even though you only called down one thunder bolt. (just 'cause you were done doesn't mean that the thunder heads were ::halo )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy.

If a Nova wanted to cause a massive Tidal Wave or trigger a Earthquake, what abilities would they need, and would they be able to do it at Quantum 6 or less?

Sure. Both of 'em could be done with Elemental Mastery, the Storm technique(Aberrant p.196), maxxed to make 'em really big. At level 5 with Quantum 5, they'd both have an area of 50 meters, and that's without maxxing... (Aberrant p. 196) For the tidalwave, you could also use the Weather Manipulation technique Wealther Alteration (Aberrant p.230) , but like Harlequin said, that could have some major unforseen side-effects.. potentially on a global scale.

• 3 years later...

I figure Q6 and Mastery is necessary to produce a full blown "natural disaster" without tapping on existing conditions.

For ex, with Elemental Master: Earth and the right maneuver, at Q6, you could generate a destructive earthquake over an area about ten miles across. At Q5 however, you couldn't. If you travelled to a place already prone to earthquakes, though, you could probably trigger one with enough time and successes.

Of course, the downside: if your not generating something yourself, than you don't get automatic self-invulnerability, either. . .

If we get away from Earthquakes and T-Waves...

Weather Manip already has the effect range to do this.

Matter Creation can whip up poison gas.

And then we have situational things:

Telepathy + Domination would allow you to fire up Russian Nuclear reactors (better built ones *stop* if the reaction gets out of control rather than explode).

Shockwave with enough Mega-Strength lets you knock down buildings.

Q-Bolt (etc) can knock down bridges, or flood New Orleans.

Shockwave with enough Mega-Strength lets you knock down buildings.

Only if it got errataed when I wasn't looking. Last I saw, it did a grand total of 5 dice of damage to every structure in the area, at Mega 5.

( I tend to think both Shockwave and Thunderclap should have been rewriten so they do your Mega Strength bonus in dice of damage. . . )

Metaphysician! You crazy Necromancer you!!! ::happy

Wouldn't have to commit necromancy if you'd give more feedback to my campaign thread. ::tongue

Only if it got errataed when I wasn't looking. Last I saw, it did a grand total of 5 dice of damage to every structure in the area, at Mega 5.
It was errata'ed to mega-dice, but I think that's just the people. My book isn't here but I think structures get a normal strength attack.

Pleas people. Flying + Adaptation + Megastrength + Asteroid.

Bye Bye LA... (as an example)

The Moon is closer. Assume you pick up a big rock on the moon and fly back to the Earth.

The Moon is 382,500 km away... Q5, 1 dot of flight, that's 1275 hours, or 53 days.

Of course if you also have Warp you can leave when it's half way there.

OTOH, if your only throwing around 100 ton rocks, then I don't think your going to take out a whole city, even if you hit it. Alot of that rock will burn up or break up on reentry. Of course, thats what Lifter is for. . .

A 100 ton rock? Why so small... remember, nothing stoping you in space, you could whack a 10000 ton rock towards earth... sure it would go there slowly at first, but then we have gravity, dont we :-)

That's real physics, not abby physics.

Actually Madcat is correct Alex. Mega-Strength gives you an amount of weight you can lift...weight is only a factor of gravity. The forumlas for weight on different planets are readily available. Not sure how you would gague space though...while the gravity field holding the asteroid belt in orbit is generated in the Sun, you would still need to counter their inertia for the direction you wanted.

Gravity manip would help with this...Something the Singularity can do might I add for us Ba'alters...

I don't know how the conversions would work exactly, but I tend to figure 100 tons vs 1 G provides a useful enough benchmark. Yeah, moon rocks would only be subject to 1/6 G, but that still means you'll only be able to throw into orbit something 6 times bigger than you could on Earth. And the bigger the object, the slower its speed. This is important, since IIRC, an object with low relative velocity compared to the Earth is not going to have a huge velocity on impact ( its falling into the gravity well, but its also opposed by air resistance ).

Where he's wrong is the "going slowly at first" part. Flight doesn't have acceleration; it only has velocity, although some of the techniques of Gravity Manip would work differently. You can’t grab a big rock and move slower, either you move or you don’t. At the top of the Earth’s gravity well you can let go and let it fall, but until you are out of the moon’s you need to keep pushing.

RE: Shockwave

The Surface you hit behaves like it got hit via a mega-strength punch, so don't do this on boats, bridges, etc. When they talk about "targets" taking damage (and needing a save to not be knocked down), they are talking about people.

You do not want Flight.

You want Momemtum Manipulation and Warp/Teleport.

You will also require Scientific Prodigy, Hypercognition (from Brainwaves) and a day or so to make calculations - after you've picked out the rock(s) of your choice.

Even another nova with Gravity Manipulation is going to be hard-pressed to divert this unless it's noticed fairly close to immediately. Otherwise, congrats, you've just wiped out the city (country) of your choice.

Only if its a really big rock. . . which admittedly, with Momentum Control or Lifter, you could do.

If you want to cause really big destruction and don't care where, you probably are better off heading to the asteroid belt, simply because there are plenty of big, free falling rocks to throw, that don't require dragging them up a gravity well. You'd need mega-int and mega-per for sure, though.

I did not make any serious attempt here, I just wanted to point out that a Nova can cause a lot more destruction by kicking a mountain into the atmosphere.

Seriously, if I where to do it, I would use teleport/warp, together with a nuclear weapon or fairly large bomb.

And if anything started to push it of course, say the gravity of the moon Id use another bomb...

And dont tell me that a nuke or bomb is hard to get if you have teleport/warp (preferably together with the power to see through stuff, and mega-int + scientific prodigy)...

We've been making this *way* to hard on ourselves. Going out into space is really hard and requires several different skills sets (space survival, transportation, location of objects, exact calculations on altering it's course, etc).

Node 5 (20 q per turn)

Might 5 (with a willpower point this doubles your lift)

M-Str 5 (Lifter and Thrower).

Drop 10 quantum on Lifter, then another 10 on Thrower,

You pick up a moutain and throw it at a city.

This one is somewhat campaign specific, but. . .

Take two temporal manipulators. Have them both pick a target object/location, preferably one near their maximum effective range.

One nova uses Stop Time. One nova uses Accelerate Time. Both novas max their power.

Both novas than start running. Fast. ::biggrin

You know, instead of all this mountain throwing business...

When you reach Quantum 6, you can blow cities up with only a few q-points spent. Here's the simple way how:

Quantum 6

Quantum Bolt with the Area extra

Level 1 Mastery

With Q6 and Area, the area of the Q-Bolt becomes 30 meters. Level 1 Mastery changes range and area from meters to kilometers. So, this gives you a Q-bolt that can damage a radius of 30 kilometers. Plus, with Q6, it takes two extras on a level 1-3 power until it raises a level, so that q-bolt is still a level 3 power (because of mastery). If you added another Extra, it would becaome a level 4 power. In this case, I'd go with Armor Piercing so it destroys more (goes through buildings, cars, etc.).

So fly high above cities and blast away! It should only cost you 3 q-points a blast too, so you should be able to get two or three blasts in a turn going, based on your Node.

Archived