Username stories

phoenix

My name? It sort of evolved forth... I got an e-mail address way back on hotmail when that was relatively fresh called laughingjakal@hotmail.com, which was misspelled of course, but then I used the nick laughingjackal on the internet Zone when I played X-wing vs Tie-Fighter there. I was recruited into a clan, called _8thlegion_, but jackal wouldn't fit, so I simply redubbed myself Max Jackal, and it became _8thlegion_max. A year or so later, the jackal ending had changed into Raven, and thus Max Raven, even though I dropped out of the XvT clan waaay back, it sort of struck. I tend to use my own name as a nick at times, depending, I prefer it in fact. ::cool

• 1 month later...

Very late reply here but hey, I just came back online after some pretty rough digital time.

And I love talking about myself anyway ::hehe

So...

Doctor John Dee was the Elizabethan mathematician, cartographer, magus, spy and physician who supposedly translated the dread Necronomicon in English.

As a cartographer (geologist, really), statistical consultant (file under mathematician), tarot reader (strictly leisure) and freelance translator, the guy seemed to fit the bill excellently.

Doctor.Dee was also my handle when I first started going on-line oh-so-many years ago.

I like sticking to tradition in some things. ::wink

whenever the troglodytes would make stupid requests (with resources 3 can i buy a rocket launcher - i wanna play a true brujah - i'm going to hijack a gas truck, drive it downtown and then blow it up), i would fly off the handle and scream at them like nobody's business.

My god, that sounds just like the LARP I used to go to. Where are you from Dave... I'm starting to think we went to the same hell every Saturday.

And Joseph;

"Way back in the old days when it was just Chill, Operations, Solaris, and myself on the White Wolf Trinity forums" -

We are NOT that old damnit! Just cause I got two kids already and don't know where the old Trinity forum got all the trolls recently... ::sleeping

Wha, where were we. In my dayssss zzz zz z ::sleeping

I'm beginning to think I must be quite boring after reading the thought others have put into their usernames! ::blush

Anyway I just had a problem finding a username I wanted, which wasn't already taken. So in the end I took the first three letters of my surname (Kanth to Kan) and a random three letters from the name of a teenage idol of mine, Steven Seagal (don't even ask - I was going through a really funny phase, but it got me involved in the Martial Arts and changed my life ::laugh ).

Now I use it pretty much anywhere I'm online.

I'm beginning to think I must be quite boring after reading the thought others have put into their usernames! ::blush ,,

nah, that just means you have less spare time on your hands, indicating possession of something called a life... something us staffers have been trying desperately obtain for years... ::wink ::biggrin

The story behind "Dr. Arbitrary" might seem odd, but it was inspired by an article discussing the mathematics behind shoe lacing. In it was a diagram of an arbitrary lacing pattern, it was so silly looking that it stuck in my head. Later I started to wonder what the difference between arbitrary and random was (random is rolling dice and getting a number, arbitrary is when you pick a number between one and ten in your head as an act of will).

The "Dr." just makes it sound cool.

Dr. Arbitrary

Since I'm new, you guys probably don't care about my name and where its from. But I shall tell you ANYWAY.

Telgar is the name of a heroine and a large area of land in Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. I've read all of 'em and love 'em. Yay Pern!

So, the first Yahoo screen name I created was "John_Telgar". John being my real name. Then the next one used Telgar. And the next. And the one after that (I have problems keepin track of passwords). So it just became something I do, and eventually I stopped adding things to it. I'm just Telgar. Most of the people I game with online, though they know my name, call me Telgar. I have become "Telgar". WOO!

*is gunna end up having alter-ego issues..*

• 7 months later...

Wow, the cool threads you find when your poking around the forum!

Well, this is kinda long, but I'll try to condense it:

Way back in I think 1987 (horrors!), I had an idea for a movie, a mockumentary about a filmmaker (played by me as myself) following around a bunch of low-rent superheroes with names like Glue-Guy and Popgun. Years later, when I was making NPCs for a role-playing game, I decided to revive these guys and give 'em stats. However, there were no women in the team, so I made some up.

(Things are a little blurry here, because I redid these guys in Aberrant as well as writing several drafts of a screenplay using them.)

Anywho, one of the females I gave two of my favorite powers, stretchiness and shapeshifting. She simply called herself 'the World's Greatest Shoplifter', but one of the other NPCs shortened it to 'Wags', which turned into the pseudonym of 'Leah Wagner'. There was this sideplot where she befriend her fence, an elderly guy who's front was the Heritage Travel Agency; when he died, she shapeshifted and took his place and took over the operation.

Whew! Last bit here!

After my first Aberrant game collapsed (my fault, as always), I worked on an idea for a Trinity campaign involving, at least in part, the nova guardians who secretly helped out with the Chinese Ultimatum. I thought it would be fun to advance some NPCs and unused PCs into the Guardians, of which Leah Wagner was a member. Heritage Travel had grown into Heritage Enterprises, a semi-criminal consulting firm based out of Absolute Zero with Leah at the helm under various guises. When I did my first online campaign in Yahoo!Groups, I used this setting, and when that game ended, I followed EON member Aeon to this site, where I took the name 'Heritage' for the first time.

In addition to having a horribly convoluted backstory, it has a classy ring to it, although it does make me sound like a bank ::biggrin

Whew.. mines a hard one.. *grins* I'm insanity at it's finest (aka Malkav, see Vampire: The Masquerade) and I'm male (see also boy). Shorten the first and smoosh them together.. Viola malkboy. I like using that name. Never for a character. nonono.. mmmm sweet vowels...

Sheesh... Well, I might as well add in my tale, though it's not much of one.

"Sprocket" was the name of one of my first Aberrant characters- he was this guy from Germany who could transform himself into (and duplicate the powers of) any sort of technological device that he's previously come into contact with. (For devious reasons known only to my old Storyteller, the first device he came into contact with after his eruption was a crashed UFO... ::crazy ) My Storyteller also had this wicked sense of humor- I'd used random dice tables to determine the details of my character's looks and background, and he ended up looking quite a lot like the "Dieter" character from the old "Sprockets" routine that ran on Saturday Night Live in the mid-1990's. I didn't know about that coincidence at the time- and I would regret it, as my character didn't really see the point of coming up with a nova-nickname for himself. So he ended up getting tagged as "Sprocket" by a group of SNL fans who were being interviewed by a reporter from N! about a little public scuffle my character and his group had been in. The name stuck.

(As my old Storyteller put it after that particular gaming session: "It was either 'Sprocket' or 'Gizmo', fellah. Take your pick.) ::rolleyes

Archived