Username stories

phoenix

Since the forums have been a bit slow lately, I thought it might be interesting to discuss where people got their user names.

I'll start. Well actually, Aninemity started, because I already posted to ask her. So I'll continue: the phoenix is a mystical bird occurring chiefly in Chinese and Egyptian mythology which is an avatar of the element of fire. When its time comes to die, it makes a nest and allows it to catch fire, and it burns to ashes. From the ashes of the old phoenix rises the young, and the cycle continues.

Who's next? Come on then, I've seen some really random ones here.

::smile

my username is the name of my pc in aeon... sergent summer sanders of the 4th.

the most badass aberrant killing machine in this universe. well maybe not. former gang member turned legionare after a lone aberrant wasted her entire crew in a crazed attempt to blow up a major shipping port in hong kong. in the aftermath s. sanders inlisted in the legions and has become one hell of a solder... mostly they just point her in the direction of an aberrant and she flies headlong into the fray. she has a slight problem with staying healthy... but anyone who chases after aberrants with little more than a shotgun and a enhancer guantlet is bound to get the stuffing beat out of them....

BillionSix is the name I use pretty much everywhere I post.

I started it on AOL when I first got a computer. I tell people it's AOL code for "All the good screen names are taken" which is pretty much true.

I can't even tell you how many names I tried, before I got one to stick. At the end I was just throwing stuff out at random.

Finally, I remembered an old obscure Steve Martin bit from one of his comedy albums. He was talking about if he died and went to heaven and was being interviewed to get in.

"Okay, how many times did I take the Lord's name in vain?..... A million six!! Jesus Cr....!"

Kind of dumb, but I was kind of desperate for a name, and this random thought had just popped into my head.

"Hmm... MillionSix. Has a nice rhythm to it." Well, it was taken. So I tried BillionSix and it stuck.

Pretty dumb, eh? But I use it now on every chat program and forum I use, since I like the idea of my friends being able to recognize me.

So, do I get the prize for "dumbest screen name story"? ::cheesy

hey! you're not telling the whole story on that one!

Whoah.. there's a whole story?

Other than the contraction of your name? Now I'm curious

sergent summer sanders of the 4th.  the most badass aberrant killing machine in this universe.

Any relation to the good Colonel? ::smile

It attacked, and defeated, three dogs that had cornerd it.

Never underestimate a cat on its ninth life. ::closedeyes

Prof Hieronymous Potts is an NPC I created for Adventure!, mainly so that his attractive blond grand-daughter could be called Hunni...

He's an engineering genius, especially with airships, rockets, & weaponry, & was forced by the evil Dr Gustav Muller to build weapons for the Kaiser in the Great War. His own son & daughter-in-law were killed before he agreed to help, & then he only did so to save Hunni. The two of them were rescued near the end of the war by Johnny Masters (a PC barnstormer - the Prof was created as an ally), & became citizens of the US of A.

The Prof's greatest invention is the "Potts Radium Fueled Rocket Pack" which is Johnny "Rocket" Masters' Artefact (& technically an Innovation that the Heroically inspired Prof couldn't build, but hey, it's my story & something he can't repeat). He also designed Masters' airship, the "Skymaster", as well as numerous acronym-ladened devices such as the the "Potts Heavy Ordinance Optional Munitions Gun" (AKA the PHOOM Gun), & the "Potts Hydrogen Rocket Assisted Grenade Gun" (AKA the PHRAG Gun).

He also built the "Gyro-Car", which takes us to the other reason for the name - a childhood love for Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang!

::wink

harlequin

it started way back in my larp days, i had a character named harlequin the liar, a gangrel with an over developed sense of humour. through a number of interesting plot twists, she became the puppet prince of london, england... the constant wars being fought over the "throne" and all the various factions and elders fighting to control her drove her insane. the game became more and more interesting as her sanity went bye bye, more attempts were made on her life, and several people gained more and more control over her...

over time, the character became so well known the name stuck and i actually came to prefer it over my real name...

Well well I suppose I should tell my story. I popped on EON one day and decided that I wanted a cool user name. I was thinking of taking something to do with Divis Mal, but that there was already a Senior Mal. Not to be distraught I went with the second most Bad @$$ person in Abberant so I wanted a cool name that had to do with Caestus Pax. I finally decided on something that would put me above Pax... So I decided to be his Pimp thus I became Pax's Pimp...

-Pax's Pimp ::smokin

Minerva was an old character name. She actually had a real name but decided to take the name Minerva after Galatea... (gotta love those pre gelatea novas... ) Now that I have become known on EON as Minerva... I have now formally taken on my role as a goddess... even puny Pax must bow to me...

---Min

Oh I really don't want to do this ::unsure Ok I mistakenly thought that Ayre el KaBeer basically meant "Big Guy" in Arabic and being of Lebonese descent (both my parents, thier parents, their parents, their parents, and so on.... ) and having an ok grasp of the language, technically I was right ::crazy , i was also wrong... so very wrong! I decided to stick with the name because it sounds good and recently a friend dared me to use it for counter strike, I'm not one who takes dares lightly! ::ninja By the way if you do know or find out the full meaning (or have worked it out by now) please don't post it some may, might, will be offended. I WAS UNAWARE!!! ::smiley4

Mine's an Aberrant NPC name I'm afraid. The name (translated badly from spanish) means 'The giant midget'. The players were in need of some mild comic relief. I came up with 'El Enano Gigante', the Mexican Lucha Libre wrestling midget - with the growth super-power! Things kind of went downhill from there.................. ::rolleyes

My handle choosing is pretty lame. Despite what you might think I never heard of the Champions character when choosing this name, but rather I thought about a cool name for my forum posting on WW that wasn't lame or already done a million times before. Given that at the time the WW forums were fiery pits of flamage, I changed my handle to Defender because I wanted to stick up for the little guy and be as good a poster I could be. So there ya go. ::tongue

-Def.

My handle may seem inconspicuous an normal, but it's not! Really!

Way back in the old days when it was just Chill, Operations, Solaris, and myself on the White Wolf Trinity forums, I was looking for a handle to use that wasn't likely to be taken. I used Joseph. It wasn't taken (and often isn't). Depending on where I'm registered, I typically use a variation of my name. Joseph, JJPeloquin, JosephPeloquin... Makes it easy.

Now, the interesting bit about my name. How I came about having it. (You thought I was going to forget.)

When I was yet to be born, my parents were debating names. They finally chose my first name from an autobiographical book my father was reading: Joey the Hitman. My middle name was to be David, but they agreed that it sounded too biblical. Instead, they decided upon James, beacuse Joseph James had a ring to it similar to Jesse James.

That's right, folks. I'm named after two gunmen. ::cool Odd that I'm (mostly) a pacifist, no? ::hehe

Chill, before I found out where you'd gotten your nick, I had thought it was just you using your network user ID. CAn you tell that I'm a sysadmin by trade? ::tongue

-Joseph

Interesting stuff (makes mine seem a little rather dwarfed and tarnished)...

My username, unlike what my mates have recently pointed out, is nothing to do with the film (shock horror: I have never watched the film). It is actually the handle of a hacker character I once made for an RPG (can't for the life of me remember which one). I managed to convince some friends that he was an actual person (through no intention of mine, honestly), and thus made it so.

Ah crap, now I'm feeling both geeky AND old...........When I saw the name SnakeEyes, my first thought was of the ninja in the old GI Joe comic............... 

oh, i thought so, too.

I used to larp, way back when. we were always pressed for a storyteller, because what with the troglodytes in town, we had a terrible attrition rate.

somehow, i was talked into it. so, during this time, i was going through some difficult personal problems (my grandmother had recently passed away, a girl i was seeing left me - i think) and so i was on a short fuse. whenever the troglodytes would make stupid requests (with resources 3 can i buy a rocket launcher - i wanna play a true brujah - i'm going to hijack a gas truck, drive it downtown and then blow it up), i would fly off the handle and scream at them like nobody's business. we had a Crazy Rob who was also storytelling (he had once admitted himself to a mental institution for a short time - a month or two), and so i got the nickname Angry Dave.

after the larp went out in a blaze of glory, i kept the anger. when i got so furious with one of my roommates that my other roommates thought i was going to hit him (i wasn't - not a violent person, I), i decided i needed a change.

so, that was about the time i got into trinity, and i needed a nick for the ww trinity forums, and so i chose, tada! notsoangrydave as representation of my change.

long? yes. boring? yes. asked for? yes, and that's your fault.

dave out.

Gads... ::blink yall thought about your usernames?!?

I just didn't want my name or a representation of my name since I have plenty of those elsewhere but I wanted something simple. I went with tooho as in "too hot and temptin" ::biggrin because...truthfully...I am a horrible flirt ::blush and...gotta admit...I had spent too much time with Aninemity that week and was in a funny mood ( ::hehe ). And as others will testify tooho definitely fits my sense of humor ::wink ...(sssh Chill....don't tell them about the craziness...we like to keep that a secret!)

::ninja ::ninja ::ninja

::dontgetit I thought the ninja's name was Stormshadow or something like that.

But forget G.I. Joe; the coolest old TV show was the original X-Men. I still remember about one scene: Cyclops and Wolverine have just had a fight, and Wolverine storms off. After leaving the building, he slices the roof off of Cyclops' car, and he growls to Jean, "Tell Cyclops: I made him a convertable."

Sorry, just a brief attack of nerd there.. ::lookaround

::dontgetit I thought the ninja's name was Stormshadow or something like that.

Knowing that Snake-Eyes is a ninja is added geekiness. The original action figure was marketed as the Commando, and it's only in the later comics that we learned that he was also a ninja that had trained with the Arashikage ninjas. Storm Shadow was the one sold as the Cobra Ninja. ::ninja

My handle comes from a conversation that I had with some friends several years back. We figured out which of the Major Arcana of the Tarot best represented each of us, and their conclusion was that I was best represented by the Hierophant. Here I am done in LEGO, and here I am in Playmobil.

It's so cool that so many people here understand principles like the Tarot and the I Ching. That's pretty creative, actually.

You are also to be commended for not attempting to choose your totem yourself (one's ego invariably gets in the way). If, however, you are attempting to learn about your own energies, I would refer you to Animal Medicine Cards, by Jamie Sams and David Carson. Have a look here: http://www.wolfshop.com/medcards.htm

The animal metaphor is usually more appropriate for personalized readings.

Wow, how about that. I need to find some new esoteric knowledge; my supply of divination knowledge is rapidly being challenged. ::smile

Ok I got mine a Shadowrun I played when it first came out. T-dev was an elven decker. I choose it then because because I wanted tazmanian devil without sounding too cheezy. I know, I know wanting tazmanian devil is cheezy ::blush , but I was a young gamer geek who didn't know any better. So i came up with t-dev thinking it sounding kinda of techno. These days it just has stuck as the sn I use online.

Aaaahhmmm back on the boards! (Thanks Chris) My bookmarks weren't working anymore due to the last site update.

Ezekiel 25:17. "The path

of the righteous man is beset on

all sides by the inequities of the

selfish and the tyranny of evil

men. Blessed is he who, in the

name of charity and good will,

shepherds the weak through the

valley of darkness, for he is truly

his brother's keeper and the finder

of lost children. And I will

strike down upon thee with great

vengeance and furious anger those

who attempt to poison and destroy

my brothers. And you will know my

name is the Lord when I lay my

vengeance upon you."

Pulp Fiction...seemed cool at the time and its rarely taken on boards. Downside is if I'm ever on political boards its always assumed I'm an overzealous zionist but hey, I'll never back down from a good argument. Argument master in training after all... ::biggrin

I am called Darth Phil. I am a Lord of the Sith. My name is Phil. Need I say more?

Probably.

It is an easy to remember user name which I use throughout the net and the real world. I even have a name badge at work the says "Darth Phil - Lord of the Sith"

Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

Love the new site. Much faster on my PC. Well done chaps.

Hey, Chill and Aninemity: Where's your login stories?

Pheonix: We KNOW what a pheonix is, silly....How does it apply to you personally?

As for me: "Finbar" is my character's name. I had watched "Finbar Liebowitz" (short where an Irish Catholic kid falls in love with a Jewish girl and decides to start practicing Judaism) and sorta fell in love with it. When I wanted to play a caffeince-addicted teleporting VARG engineer, somehow the name felt right. So I added my Easter Grandma's maiden name (Reilly), and the rest is a flaming rocket downhill;-)....

FR

Pheonix: We KNOW what a pheonix is, silly....How does it apply to you personally?

Well you should know how to spell it then..

But okay, you got me ::confused. The phoenix represents a large part of my karma, as I understand it. I've got a fanfic written about a guy who shares this, although he's a little more insane than I am; I'll post it eventually.

Basically, the phoenix (and the fire) represent the need of a being with strong lifeforce (at the risk of sounding egotistical) to be in an environment which puts pressure on that lifeforce, or it will destroy itself. As I live in New England, I follow the pattern of the phoenix: my lifeforce grows in the winter and the harshness of the environment grows with it, by the end of winter it burns itself out just as summer comes, when it is reborn from its own ashes and the cycle begins again.

Sorry about the lecture, to those of you who aren't interested - I'll be quiet now. I guess I'll submit that fic; I was waiting for a contest but I've got some other ideas now.

Archived