Anyone else wish they had more info on the Qin? The information given in the books just didn't satisfy me...maybe its just me but I wish I knew more about "a day in the life of a Qin..." Guess its my anthropological side...There should be a "Hitchhiker's Guide to Trinity"... ::tongue

• 2 weeks later...

Heh. Check out my post RE: Book of Aliens. ::wink

How about something like this?

Qin Translator Microbes: In an effort to better promote communication between Qin and humans, Qin developed a series of psionically active microbes cultured from a sample of their own nervous system tissue. When injected into a human and formatted, the microbes cluster around the base of the brainstem, forming a psionic neural net. This allows humans to enjoy the full spectrum of emotive and telepathic communication when speaking with Qin. An unforseen side-effect was the fact that the translator microbes could translate human language as well, effectively simulating the Mindshare power The Babel Effect.

For the time being, translator microbes are Code Indigo, pending Triton noetic and biological testing of the bioapp for human safety. The few humans who have formatted translator microbes have reported no undue effects, but formatting them to a neutral has not been attempted as of yet. The Qin of House Lle-brib are currently working on producing a lower Tolerance version of the microbes in order to introduce them to a wider human market. If this were to happen, then the microbes could effectively replace the vocoder in everyday usage.

Tech: Ø Tolerance: 1 Cost: Not available commercially

You mean the translator microbes- the ones that act like the Babel Fish, but cluster at the base of the brain instead of sitting in the Ear. Yeah, it does sound like them. A LOT like them. ::alien

I have something else- I got the idea when replying to the 'Underwater tech' thread. It's a weapon, but then, that's me all over. If there is anything you don't get, (like who the hell the Teleturians are [i really have to change that name. Very soon]) it's probably because it is meant for my campaign setting.

‘King Shrimp’: Don’t be fooled by its name. Created by human military scientists living in Biodomes in the ‘Twilight Zone’ (A term used to describe ocean depths between 200m and 1000m) of the ocean moon, Berth, of Ibumine. Believing that the humans were fairly weak under water (what with torpedoes, and most other explosives are pitiful underwater- including nukes and ‘Daisy Cutters’), as most of the weapons the humans had developed were meant for on-land or vacuum environments, the Teleturians were taken by surprise by this weapon.

The weapon is essentially a UV laser. As UV cannot pass through water (which is why swimming is good on sunny days at the beach), the beam uses an unusual frequency, which can. UV, once it hits an object (other than glass, which it passes straight through), it converts into Infra Red, and, at the correct intensity, flash boils the object and water surrounding it.

Unfortunately, the correct intensities require immense amount of power, and thus the King Shrimp is not a cheap weapon. Cold Fusion Reactors are used to power the weapon.

Because the range of the King Shrimp is potentially infinite (does anyone know how far light can travel with no obstacles? No? me neither), the weapon requires advanced targeting computers to ensure the correct target is hit.

Tech: HARDTECH, Accuracy: +3, Damage: 16d10 A, Range: Potentially parsecs, Manoeuvres: N/A, RoF: 0.5, Clip: Cold Fusion Reactors give enough charge for around 10 shots a day, Conceal: N/A, Mass: 30, Cost: •••••, Availability: Rare

Curious about the name? I may have remembered this wrong but, according to one BBC documentary (wildlife on one I think) the King Shrimp is able to clap one of its claws with such force that the water surrounding it briefly (like 1 microsecond) reaches the temperature of the Sun's surface. If I have the creature wrong, then tell me (I'd love to know).

And if I have it wrong about a certain frequency of UV, I think I have, (as water absorbs UV) it doesn't really matter to me, because in my world (the one in my head, where the voices keep talking to me ::hehe ) anything is possible!.

Why yes. Yes, they do. Anyone else notice how much Farscape resembles Trinity? They even have biotech ships called Leviathans that can travel faster than light. So I thought--"Y'know, telepathic bacteria that can translate language. Why the hell not?" ::tongue

What I meant by potentially parsecs is if there were no obstacles (like if fired in a vacuum). And as for plankton-

• number 1- There isn't much plankton in the twilight zone (not during the day anyway)
  • number 2- This is a different planet, for all you know, there isn't any plankton (there is ::smile , but not much)
  • number 3- i suppose the intense beam will have to be extra fine as well then, right? ::alien
And ok, I am NO good at pricing things ::lookaround .

I have to admit, that I myself have used a rip-off version of the Farscape Translator Microbes (damn good show, shame about the cancellation), but mine was a cybernetic implant that duplicated the effects of the Jack of all tounges knack. Burgerslave's version is far truer to show, but my guy can speak 17 different languages as though he were a native speaker, so I'm not complaining ::biggrin

-Slag

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Rise!

I'm looking for technology ideas to use for a Trinity game I'm designing. There are some good ones here, so I thought I would try and resurrect the thread. I even have something to contribute. I stole the idea from BSG, but added some Trinity flavor!

Radiation Detection Badge [a.k.a Radtag]

The International Consortium for Ecomining [i.C.E.] developed this piece of equipment for crew members on exploration and resource gathering missions. One of the many hazards of space travel is radiation. While most ships are built to protect the crew from harmful radiation, sometimes exposure is still bound to happen. A person wearing this device can easily tell if they are being exposed to any type of harmful radiation. Best of all t requires no power or electrical components to function making it very reliable. This simple device is a white plate about the size of a three by five inch index card. It is commonly worn in a clear sheath either on the arm or around the neck. The plate is white in color. The device begins to turn black when exposed to any type of harmful radiation; including soft, hard, and even taint radiation. When exposed to small amounts of radiation that will not inflict permanent damage, the white plate starts to get small black spots that slowly get bigger when confronted with more intense or longer exposure. After the first sign of small black spots it is recommended that the wearer spend no more than two hours in the current exposure level. As the dots get larger, the two hour recommendation decreases rapidly. When the entire plate turns black the wearer begins to take damage from radiation every turn as stated in the Trinity Core manual [page 255]. Though it doesn't come with an audible alarm, relying on the wearer to check it often for efficacy, the fact that it is inexpensive and reliable more than makes up for the lack of features. It has become very popular and many organizations and individuals use them throughout populated space.

Tech: Ω

Mass: negligible

Cost: ●

Nice one King, although I think I'd cut the size down a bit, 3x5" just seems to big to me, perhaps half that if it is a rigid material to be fitted into a pocket on the sleeve of a coat. Having said that most Personal Radiation Monitors are worn on the chest, closer to the more important organs. [i was a Classified Radiation Worker for 17 years, although I in a normal office for 95% of the time.]

Here are a couple of ideas that I haven't worked up full stats for yet...

Splatstick

A common/cheap weapon homemade in various parts of the world (Europe, Shatter, street gangs etc). It consists of a short metal tube, a spring + retainer and a shotgun shell, highly concealable it is a very rough and ready shotgun derringer that takes several turns to reload (if possible at all) and has no accuracy even over it's very short range (3-5m?). Also due to the lack of any useful barrel length the damage is reduce to 4D10 L as well.

Zap glove

Contact taser with the active surfaces on the palm, finger tips and knuckles of the an insulated pair of gloves. On a punch (or similar strike with little temporal contact) this adds +3d10B to the attack, on a grab/hold it does 4d10B each turn as a single or small series of discharges into the person being held.

• 3 months later...

Well, if i can get away with little or no game-stats, this is a completed section of an over ambitious trinity project i started some time ago - in the vein of cp2020 chrome books. Some objects were intended for introduction in listed years to stretch out the setting some more. No game stats sorry, just food for thought.

Sonic Death

Due to the risks of explosive decompression in low pressure environment stations, classic weaponry is eschewed except in the most desperate of situations. Rather than decrease the proliferation of weapons in space, this has led to a rapid expansion of sonic based devices of violence virtually harmless to the delicate Earth-like balance.

The Sonic knife in particular is now specially produced for over fifteen military space agencies as standard issue, often built into other devices and weapons.

Leading the way in development of these screeching terrors is Aris Armaments of Brazil, who happily lease the technology to interested parties, assimilating any further developments into their own top market product. Sonic weaponry is one of the most dynamic markets in the early decade and the technology has diversified and improved as a result of competition in the new niche.

Despite the space-borne advantages of sonic weapons; certain frequencies and volumes are highly restricted, capable of creating mass hallucinations and collapsing structures under infrasound stresses. These parameters can often be reached through bypassing the inbuilt safety limits, although such devices are considered forbidden technology in the extreme and almost universally illegal.

Aris Whistler B-1, B-2 & B-0 (2122)

This easily concealable sonic pistol is little more than a trigger on a handle, capitalizing on the new developments of companies in America, China and Nippon who managed to make the leased technology cheaper, more efficient and smaller respectively. Three models are produced: a standard model as described above (the B-1), a modular version produced primarily for incorporation into other devices (the B-2) and the third; a restricted military version with greater utility and bulk (the B-0). All three have a three-way safety to scale from Bashing to Lethal in addition to sophisticated I/O interface.

L-K Shriek (2121)

The American made Shriek is a popular non-lethal sidearm recognized as an affordable alternate to the Aris product, controversially promoted within the FSA as a teen self-defense device. Some models are complete with colorful imagery on their body and in-built trackers. The standard model is a Spartan device smaller than the original Whistler but with proportional power, although the Shriek safety limits are easily overcome the required yield for lethal damage can’t be achieved with such small amplifiers.

Aris Audio-Saber (2121)

Save for the melee designs of paraphernalia for more intuitive operation, the Audio-Saber module is similar to the Whistler B-2. Although the sonic blades themselves are weightless, removable balancing handles simulate the feel of true blades to the experienced. For visual reference the Audio-Saber is equipped with a basic holographic projector, easily turned off or modified through cheap attachments to display a wide array of images all scaled to the weapon itself. Like many sonic weapons, the Audio-Saber can inflict Bashing or Lethal Damage designated through use of a switch. Another handy switch activates magnetic bayonet clamps for weapons unable to accept a modular connection.

L-K Crybaby (2121)

L-K had difficulty escaping the quagmire of the 2120 Banshee fiasco and following the Shriek; seemed to be resigned to the bargain market in sonic weapons. But in a surprise turn their entry into sonic melee was innovative and well realized, the removable balance handles, holographic blade projection and magnetic bayonet features were all incorporated as core functions into the newest Aris counterpart. Remaining unique to L-K, however, is the Crybaby’s defining trait; using either preprogrammed or live upload commands to define the shape of the sonic blade. A practiced user can manipulate the blade surface like they might their own arm, but without the inconvenience of bones or matter. Unlike the majority of the Crybaby design, the Non-Lethal and Lethal settings are as expected.

Aris Boomer 5 (2122)

The next generation of sonic carbine makes up for its poor rate of fire with versatility and reliable stopping power, it makes a valuable support weapon for its weight and price. As with many sonic weapons, the lethality of the Boomer is scaled by the user. With a further flip of a switch the Boomer can operate as a sonic shotgun, spreading sound waves over a 30 degree arc.

Banji Howler (2121)

Unsurprisingly the Nihonjin breakthrough mill streamlined and optimized the Aris technology upon the release of their own Howler, placing the capabilities of the original sonic Carbines within an elegant Nihonjin body. Many of the subtle changes have been silently incorporated into competing products, while Banji wait anxiously on the reception of Aris’ Boomer 1 array before pursuing further development projects. Despite Banji’s conservative entry into the market, the Howler is so well executed it might be wondered if Banji had been developing the field independently for some time.

L-K Banshee (2120 & 2121)

L-K’s first foray into sonic weapons technology was the Banshee, despite the weapon’s poor contrast to Aris and later Banji’s sleek designs it marketed for a fraction of the price and was easily cracked for less than noble purposes (the 2120, limited numbers). Although still in production with revised hard-wired limits (the 2121), the 2120 Banshee is restricted in most of known space in response to its dangerous flaws. The 2121 benefits from the infamous Banshee name in sales, but is hardly the professional’s weapon of choice. Equipped with a triple safety dial sporting Non-Lethal and Lethal settings.

Banji EchoShield (2122)

Hot on the heels of Aris’ new releases, Nihonjin’s Banji have begun to produce reactive sound dampening systems, as a form of sonic armor. Each EchoShield is a small semi-sphere imbedded in a wearable bracelet and up to two can be used at once, worn properly high on the arm and under clothing they are difficult to detect. Despite the high release price, Banji promises to eventually lower the price and make the technology more available.

While sonic weapons are entirely cool, I've never really bought into the universal need to eschew traditional armament due to "decompression risk." For it to happen, small arms fire has to be able to penetrate the external pressure hull or dome. This could be the case ( certainly is now ), except this logic also gets applied in settings where the pressure-bearing structure stands up micrometeoroid impacts, or even attacks by external enemies with vehicular weapons. . .

• 2 weeks later...

What about the smack?!

Does anyone have any cool ideas for drugs? With all the advances in medicine and chemical engineering, I want to include a wide variety of desirable pharmaceutical substances my players will want to use in game. I came up with one...

Enhancers

These drugs come in a variety of types that vary in name from brand to brand. Although each type targets a different body process, they all do the same thing mechanically. They enhance a single Attribute of the user. For the duration of the drug's effect, the user gains the benefit of a Quality associated with that Attribute even if they do not have four or more dots in it. Each type of Enhancer is designed to target one Attribute and provide one specific Quality which is determined when the drug is purchased.

Duration: one hour

Addiction Rating: 1

Detox: +1 Difficulty for one hour to all rolls associated with the Attribute that was enhanced.

Cost: ●● per twenty doses

Any more?

Archived