NBC Show - Heroes

Not particularly. It's just when I try to pick a name out of the hat of "who could have handled Heroes better," JMS is the one who comes to the top in my mind.

Joss Whedon is a maybe, I don't know if his style would have adapted to the mythology so readily. If nothing else, Peter would have been a waifish girl with interesting feet. smile

*nods head vigorously*

Man, I wish they had treated Bab5 right. I even miss Ranger.

A coherent storyline from season to season would have been nice as well. Maybe then they would have realized the Sylar's and Peter's escalating power levels were not so good for the storyline as a whole and no "retconning" would have needed to be done.

Sylar is still at those power levels. Sure he lost some of his collection, but he gained the ability to learn other's powers without cutting their heads open. He's just so involved in his personal quest for answers right now that he isn't a factor in the current conflict. It will be interesting to see them tie him back in to the story. Now that he is back to being more like his old self he's actually one of my favorite characters.

Nah, if they stay true to form, Sylar will become an integral part of the story again and the fate of the universe will revolve around his actions, then in a bizarre anti-climatic twist he will die a quiet meaningless death as at the hands of a new heretofore unknown bad guy that has been pulling the strings of everyone all along including the other people that had thought they were pulling the strings.

I know I dont post here often,but I'll throw my two cents in. Like SkyLion, I gave up on this show around season 2. I only happened to tune in a few weeks ago and there were enough "WTF!" moments to get me interested.

This last week's episode was interesting...John Glover playing Sylar's father...a creepy old man obsessed with power/control dying of disease. Although I'm thinking the poor bastard's being typecasted because he played in L&O: Criminal Intent as a creepy old man with power/control issues and dying of a debilitating disease...and let us not forget Smallville, where he also played...you guessed it...creepy old man obsessed with power/control and dying of a disease.

Danko...I hate this bastard so much...which is cool actually. Any show that can come up with a villain you just love to hate must be doing something right. I just hope we get more of backstory on this guy, because I sense something else about this guy (other than being a relentless 'kill them all' death machine).

It would appear that we are now forever rid of that whiny little bitch, Luke (or whatever that punk kid's name that was road tripping with Sylar). I really hope they don't bring him back.

And Finally...WHO IS REBEL?

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
2)Sylar destroys capture team.
((Get a clue dudes. You are hunting Magneto.))
:Grumble:

Short term popularity saves villain at the expense of the long term show.

In RL there's no way *anyone* would want this guy alive. Capture my ass, the *second* his defenses were down they'd kill him, he's one of those guys you'd nuke a city to kill.

My guess is that Rebel is either Micah or Hana Gitelman (Wireless). Both of them can manipulate computers, and given the circumstances, both of them would be willing to work with Angela Petrelli, who I think is controlling Rebel.

Sylar - should have died in Volume 1. Period. And the fact that he is the only interesting thing about the show for me in Volume 4 speaks volumes about how far downhill the show has gone.

I dunno...I kind of like the backstory with Sylar now. I know, I kind of skipped out on season 2 and only just started watching the show again. But still, at least I'm not falling asleep like I did with season one.

To be honest, I want to see Sylar vs. Danko...this is going to be bloody. Sure Danko may be "normal"...but he's resourceful enough to face off against a super. Maybe we'll see them kill each other off.

Honestly killing Sylar dead at the end of Season 1 would have been a terrible choice IMO. You can't build a good villian without time and the longer they keep the guy around the more it will mean when he is finally defeated.

Think how not memorable Magneto would be if the X-men had killed his ass in the first run...

Except that Sylar isn't Magneto. He's nowhere close to Magneto. Magneto has an ideological foil in Charles Xavier, and the best they've ever given Sylar is the hypocritical waste they call Peter. Magneto at least does horrific things for the betterment of his people, and Sylar does nothing except horrific things for his own amusement and personal gain.

I hated Sylar with a passion in Season 1, even more in Season 2. Only when he stopped being an unrepentant killer did he become even slightly interesting. Until then, for me, he seemed nothing more than an unkillable juggernaut that existed because the writers couldn't bear losing the character.

And I hate Peter about five times more than I hate Sylar.

Think how not memorable Magneto would be if the X-men had killed his ass in the first run...

It's not *entirely* clear Mag's a villain. You can make the legit argument that people are right to follow him... and the world just might be better if Mag won. If Mag is right then the US gov is going to become like Nazi Germany.

Sylar... is just too bloody dangerous. The downside is horrible and there is no upside. As long as he's alive there's the decent possibility that he's going to exterminate mankind... or maybe just rule it forever Highlander style.

If you don't like supers then you should kill him.

If you do like them then you should kill him.

If you want supers working for you as your pawns then you should kill him.

Etc. There's just no reason, even in theory, that *anyone* would want to "capture" him.

Even groups crazy enough to want to try to capture Dracula wouldn't want to capture him.

And there's no possible menace out there so dangerous that you'd want to unite with Sylar because if Sylar won then you'd have to face said menace all over again.

As far as writing goes a multi-show series where the characters are allowed to advance *should* be able to build a villain that's more interesting. Preferably one with at least somewhat realistic motivations. Of course this runs into Hollywood needing a good villain so maybe they can't.

• 1 month later...

I thought it was remarkably tight. It seems to me that they are trying to resurrect this IP from near-death. Heroes has been Awesome, Terrible, Shocking, Predictable, Beautiful, and Unbearably Corny; each in its own turn. The finale, and the huge twist at the end, feels like the opening move of a well-planned major storyline. I sure hope so.

BAH! BAH, I say!!

The twist at the end was the most moronic thing ever. All it means is that they were unwilling to do this season was they cheated us out of in Volumes 1 and 3.

Angela Petrelli should have known better, consider her own memory loss was repaired by Linderman's healing powers once. The only thing this can mean is that more people are going to die in the future when you know who gets a head injury and has to regenerate.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG.

Just kill him off already, motherfrakkers!

Has everyone in that world, HRG ESPECIALLY, forgotten that Claire's Frakking blood can bring back the dead??? I mean, you had a big frakking hole in your head, you moron until Suresh injected you with Claire's blood, and THIS was your alternative to saving Nathan.

YOU ALL SUCK SO HARD.

Sigh..

I'm not happy with Heroes.

What I don't understand is that Peter just copied Sylar's ability to shapechange. Why didn't they have him pretend to be Nathan for a bit. They had to know keeping Sylar around is just asking for it. I'm sure Parkman could have just copied Nathan's memories from Sylar to Peter.

That said, I still like Heroes. I even like Sylar, he just needs a radiation accident so he is not so overpowered compared to everyone else. For the love of God, stop feeding him more poweres people.

Yeah. Heroes is INFAMOUS for ignoring the elegant solutions like that. Peter could even have absorbed Sylar's memory reading power, then used it on Sylar to get Nathan's memories.

The Peter/Sylar duo is something that should have mutually annihilated long, long ago (like, the Season 1 finale).

I bought season 1. I just pretend the show got cancelled after that.

Here is my issue, both power houses for the good guys in heroes have been nerfed. Peter has only one power at any given time, and hiro can't even use half the power eh still has.

Sylar is more powerful than ever.

Okay. Anyone see the problem here? See Sylar was only beaten by Peter when he was holding back or was out smarted.

They need a less villainous villain. If Sylar had more modest goals then they could let him win.

For that matter, if he were limited to mimicking living people, i.e. the effect wears off, or if he were limited to a certain number of people, then he'd be a lot more useful.

Someone like Philip Nolan Voigt would be a good choice. http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/voigt.htm

Basically he's a sane-ish Sylar who can mimic any living paranormal he runs into. The key word is "living", which is presumably why he's so reluctant to kill paranormals.

Voigt set himself more realistic goals... like taking over the world. Step one, gather lots of paranormals to mimic. Step two, run for President of the United States, and win.

One of the scary parts of him is that most of the stuff he does is technically legal.

Archived