NBC Show - Heroes

• 3 months later...

having watched the first episode twice, the second 2.5 times and now the 3rd I have seen the same "S" pattern with the three dashes all over the series. It appeared in Prof Suresh's program, Claire had it on the spine of her textbook, and the mystery man at the barn had a pendant of it around his neck. I suspect that we'll learn more about it in the future.

I really hope that this level of detail/foreshadowing is presnt throughout the series as it continues.

Hmmm. Good show, for now. But it has me worried. It seems built around a central mystery. That gives you two problems. First, you can't string it out for too long without frustrating people. Two, once you pop the cork, do you have something else to pull people in?

I have a feeling that we have 3 "plots" within the show.

1) Syler the Brain Eater

2) Horn Rimmed Glasses guy (aka Claire's dad)

3) The Nuclear destruction of New York

My gut tells me that they may be tangentally related at place but are on the whole, independant crisises.

In the Pilot I saw at Comic Con there was a character we have yet to meet who figured into the nuke plot, he has been hinted at in the show already. I'd also point out that the train which wrecked in Texas said "Nuclear Regulatory Commision" on at least one of the cars.

Time will tell how good the show is but so far it's the best genre show to get greenlit after Lost's success IMO.

I agree with all of you.

First Let me say that this show is refreshing and very well done. It could have gone either way, especially considering the title, it could be what it is or it could have been the Justice League Pilot, Mutant X, Superboy, et al.

Its nicely marketed and doesn't shy away from its comic root rather it embraces them and show what can be done with the subject matter on the small screen.

It is quickly becoming one of my favorites and is already on my list for people wanting to get a feel for my "Aberrant Inspired" game.

That brings me to subject 2: Watching things like this makes me want to poison the eyeliner at White Wolf Games. Considering how badly this game was mismarketed and looking at the plethoria of material selling like hotcakes that should cater to Aberrant tastes (pardon the pun).

Finally I think that Sylar is an organization or control group that is trying to keep a lid on the "Specials" either for their own interests some one elses. It would be the only way to explain the range of powers and abilities as well as the traveling between the coasts that has gone on.

• 1 year later...

Well consider also the impact of the writer's strike on not just Heroes but all of tvland. 11 episodes for a season is a bummer but I'd rather they end a bad chapter early so they can move on to fresher ideas.

Also, Tim Kring (sp?) has come out and admitted he bungled the beginning episodes as well. He's been quoted as saying one of his big mistakes was to leave Hero in the past for too many episodes.

That said I was unimpressed with a lot of what went down. I'll be there for chapter 3 however.

I think they stumbled a bit, clearly they thought that people would be willing to go back to the slow buildup of the first half of season one. The bigger problem (IMO) was that introduction of Maya and Muscle Memory Chick who had ZERO impact on the core story arc. *Zzz*

I'll be back for Volume 3 though, I think Sylar is pretty interesting and generally I like how the show is built. I think the producers have made a big step by admitting their mistakes, I'll give them the mulligan and tune in once more...

Don't forget too that this season was severely truncated due to the writer's strike. I'm sure Maya and Monica would have had a lot more to do (and Micah and Niki for that matter) if the season had gone as originally planned.

As many problems as I had with the finale, I can attribute most of them to that. My suspicion is that Kring reset the show back to Season 1 status quo because Season 3 is now "the season 2 that should have been."

In short, he wants a re-do. I'll give it to him. It's not like I'm PAYING for Heroes after all. smile

- Edit: Rev, Season 1 is great. Not so much for Aberrant, but it would be awesome for a lowish-power Mutants and Masterminds game. smile

I've only seen one episode of Heroes, in Oct. It was the episode where the Jap kid teleports with that one dude GF and they steal a kiss and he finds out, and where they get that one girl booted off the cheerleading squad for being a drunk skank and scaring the hell out of her with the flying kid.

Which reminds me, I've been wanting to ask... the High School girl that the flying kid picked up and dropped on the steps from like a story up... what's her power? Invulnerability or something, she fell from a good height and her clothes weren't even dusty.

I enjoy Heroes, though I got into it late because the initial episodes nearly put me to sleep. I still enjoyed Heroes season one even if the ending felt underwhelming and some bits of plotting felt squiffy, such as Hiro spontaneously deciding that he needs a magic sword to get his powers back.

Season Two didn't feel any better or worse than Season One to me - same slow build, same fizzly ending, nice midsection once the ducks were in a row. Serial killer stalking the super-set, the superpeople are spread out all over Hell's half-acre, big dangerous deadly future bearing down on them.

I don't blame them - you can't rewrite your finale that late in the day without it hurting your show. Back twenty years ago with the writer's strike looming over the nascent Star Trek: The Next Generation, they tossed together as many scripts as fast as they could to stockpile up and that's why the initial seasons of that show are so uneven in quality. But it went on to many more fruitful seasons, so I wouldn't give up on the show just yet. If I can still keep watching LOST after the episode with Jack's tattoos, and BSG after the adventures of Helo, M.D., I can give Heroes another shot.

I watched maybe three or four eps of this show and didn't care for it. Some people told me it has to be given time to build steam, but seriously, four episodes. How much more steam need it build?

Also, I don't have a television, so...yeah. As it is, I have to download The Office and House just to see them.

So, I went out and bought Season 1. So far, I have to admit I'm not all that impressed with it. In fact I'm a bit disappointed.

When I get home however I'm going to tear it out of the package and watch it. Hopefully it'll prove me wrong. Right now it's just kinda... I dunno... just sitting there... Not very exciting at all.

Volume 2 was intended to end midway through the second season though I do not know if they had to cut short. My understanding is that they only had to do some minor changes to the Dec 3rd episode for it to serve as the season ender. Basically I think that Volume was was pretty much how it was intended to be. UNfortunately due to the errors that Tim Kring admits he made volume 2 was a bit lackluster until the last few episodes.

The strike does have a bright side. While he may not be actively writing for the show I am sure that Kring is working out how to make an awesome back half out of Volume 3.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I didn't like last season at all. I thought the beginning of this season started off good, but I'm not so sure it will ultimately be good. I like having the one government guy hunting them down, but the whole I'm good, no I'm bad, wait I'm good again thing is getting old. I just want something to actually happen and have some sort of affect on things.

The Precog painting thing is getting a bit old (so sayeth the player of Peter Bell - Precognative Painter) and there are a few thing I would like for them to explore.

Things like were is the little girl who can find "mutants". You think of they had Primatech files they would know about her.

I do like how it is unraveling from Nathan's contol though. No idea survives contact with the enemy.

Bryan Fuller was gone last season and during the 1st half of this season. As a show runner I think he has a good track record of avoiding shark jumps ... meanwhile he has signed on for next season which was just picked up and there are rumors that NBC may give Heroes an end date far enough in advance to allow the series to close out in a good way

I got the impression early on that Heroes is one of those ideas that was too big for the guys who had it. They caught lightning in a bottle and didn't know what to do with it.

I think Heroes as written and produced by J. Michael Straczynski would have been epic.

Archived