Get to know each other!

CHILL

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I was going to start an update thread but hey, this one's pinned ::tongue

It's been almost 2 years since I typed up my first response to this thread and think it's time I (and others aswell) posted what life's been like lately...

For those of you who remember (unlikely but maybe) I was applying for a computer science course at the time of that oh so long ago post. I didn't get in to the school I wanted so I slacked off for a very long while, gamed alot began a project in trying to connect my computer with a huge network city wide that didn't require paying to be a member of (still working on this project).

I eventually learnt about this thing called excercise (strange thing where you actually move your whole body, scary stuff!) at the end of last year, was doing a great job of losing weight and butching up when I went on my first trip out of the city by road. I went up to the mountains (big hills for those of you in countries with huge ones), almost drowned in a river while I was there but I had faith in my friends so I didn't panic and was saved. Now you'd think that along with splinters in my foot would be warning enough for me but nooo I had to join my mate's in driving up one of these mountains and ride down one on mountain bike, big mistake. I came off the bike travelling around 55km/h a mere 1km from the peak (there was 40 more to go), I knew I was going to come off the bike as I rode over a divet in the road, I had enough time to choose my fall method 1. Crash into a freind (best friend's girlfriend aswell) and probably kill her in the process. 2. Go off the road (see cliff for more information) and probably die. 3. Slam foot down and smash into the road. I picked 3. Failing to judge the speed of my fall I missed the shoulder and slamed the elbow, the energy of the impact rode down my arm and fractured my wrist, the elbow is fine by the way. 3 weeks later came the surgery and my abilty to set off metal detectors was born! ::rolleyes That marked the end to the best summer of my life, I still don't regret going up to the mountain (more on Mount Hotham later...) it was a great experience.

In my 3 month downtime since all manner of things came up but as I was still nursing my injurries and blitzing my physiotherapy (fastest recovery seen by my therapist! SCORE! ::biggrin ) I didn't work and regained all the weight lost and ended up weaker than before (sucked but it's comming back rapidly) other than that these months were fairly uneventful and despite a few things I'm not going to mention (that's pointed at you tooho! ::tongue ).

At the end of those 3 months I became an uncle to the wonderful but unfortunatly named Crystal, she's only a few months old and is already busting my brothers hump, it's like I won't even have to teach her to do it when she grows up... ahh the pride I feel ::wink

I finally got into a course I liked (Multimedia Design) and started last month, It's wierd going from hardcore science to art and webdesign, my mind is still on the virge of collapse from the sudden swing. Anyway been a month and I'm finally enjoying the course despite the rediculous amount of homework being handed out (this is the main reason for my rare apearances on the forums, it doesn't help that most sites are blocked in the school library)...

Ok so that's most of the things of note that have happened in my life since about december last year. Now I'll get to the reason for this particular post, it's more than a simple update, you see I'm going back up to that mountain on the 27th! it's snowing up there now, so I'm thinking it's time for round 2 Freddy vs. Hotham! PAY PER VIEW!!! ahem ::unsure sorry, with the huge workload from school I need a few days away and I've never been up to the snow in aus so what the hell... If I don't post for a long time after the 27th I'll prbably be in traction ::wink

...NEXT!!!

I'm boring so I'll make this quick. Education major who decided to switch her major a couple of times, but I'm nearing graduation slowly but surely. Finally realized there were places I wanted to be and a small college town in Texas isn't necessarily one.

Had a lot of changes in my life this last year... but it's finally calmed down. Truthfully, didn't expect things to be the way they've turned out, but I think things have worked out 'for the best'.

Currently, I'm not doing much of anything. Editing some fiction for a few peeps, writing personal stuff for myself, and of course, lots of gaming when the opportunity arises. I've spent more time this summer catching up on pop culture then doing anything productive. My last few months (five? sheesh where does the time go?) have been awesome despite the normal money worries ::wink and most everyone knows why. Mostly, I've been feeling pretty blessed. What with all the friends, troubles seem to pass more easily so I'll let them fade without mention.

Currently.. I'm wondering how I'm going to buy a bridesmaid dress by January. A best friend is getting hitched next spring break and I'm lucky to have been asked to stand up with her. So happiness and joy spread and the only thing missing is a kitten. ::blush

Ok, here goes---

I was born in 1961 in a small town of 3,500 people in Northern California called Mt. Shasta. The town is at 3,500 ft. About 5 miles away Is the Mountain (also called Mt. Shasta) at 14,162 ft.

I started playing First edition Gamma World in 1978 with my cousin, Dan. From there I went on to play D&D, AD&D and somr home spun games. While in college, I discovered Champions. After graduating from college in 1985 I started to work for the Chico Police Department as a Community Services Officer. I worked there for 3-1/2 years until I realised I was not the right type of person to be a 'Cop'. During that time or slightly after, my gaming group discovered Mechwarrior Cyberpunk, and Shadowrun.

I worked retail until 1992. We played Showdowrun, Champions, and Talislanta. In the summer of 1992 my Father announced his 'semi-retirement', and my brother asked me to move back to Mt. Shasta to help in the family hardware store as the Ordering and Recieving manager.

After some aborted attempts, I decided that Gaming was not to be found in my town. So I haven't really gamed in over 10 years. But in 1994 I met Loraine Ahlport. And after a short courtship of 1 and 1/2 years we got married. In 1997 my son Logan was born after a 36 hour labor. In 1999 my Daughter Rhianna came into the world a lot easer.

My wife had a ranch at 5,800 ft. when I married her, which we still work today. Goats for milk, Chickens for eggs, and Purebred White German Shepards for Puppies to sell. All the while I am still working at my families Ace Hardware.

In 2004, I discover EON. YAY

Forum ID:

RAVEN

Known elswhere as:

Brer Rappit, hara taiki, the amazing spider-gramm, "smokes", gramm the automator

....and in real life?:

Gramm

....and about me:

uhhh well i'm 24 and live in las vegas. i'm a illustrator... is whut i do for a living. i've werked for SCHOLASTIC BOOKS for about 4 years after highschool, after that went into werking for various companies as a freelancer, aka a pencil for hire. NOW i've stumbled back into the realm of comic books... i'm the writer/artist on my own comics DISPOSABLE GRAFFITI and MILITANT MONKEYS both published outta vegas by ABERRANT PRESS (isn't that cute...) i also have experince werking in television and film... yes i'm one of the losers that help bring the 2nd season of the APPRENTICE to life... look for it this fall. i also asked THRUMP if i could bum a dollar and he told me to "get lost"

uhhh i like to create... besides drawing and writting... i also like to play music and rock out with my friends. i've been in a couple bands over the years. music is a huge part of my life, i can't really exisit without it. i play the guitar and the banjo... my most favorite thing in the world is my elektrick banjo, which i named "XEV" after the hottest sci-fi character EVER XEV from the show LEXX. XENIA SEEBURG... mmmmmm yes.

uhhh i'm dislexic as well as being bi-polar... suffering from manic bursts of enregy is cool, but the down side is my massive mood swings and all the medication i must take. i like taking my sedatives though, cause i like to dream and they put me to sleep and i can dream. i'm also colour blind in my right eye-ball... kinda funny... ha ha...

when not werking on a project i like to play video games, MEGAMAN is my favorite game of all tyme, and i found it funny that you guys had MEGAMAN icons on this site. that rocks. i'm not much for fighting games or racing games. i'm very good at video hockey and MEGAMAN though. i like to paint... i paint alot. i like to plant stuff in my garden here at my home. since i was a kid shit like plants have always interested me to no end. the only sport i'm actually good at is ICE HOCKEY... i've been playing it for about 10 years now. i suck at every other sport. my favorite films are The GOOD The BAD and The UGLY, DARKCITY and SONG of the SOUTH.

uhhh i guess that is about it... yep... i'm pretty lame...

yes indeed... pretty lame...

If it helps I do a good impersonation of The Governor (sounds as imposing as The Terminator), infact quoting him is one of my favorite past times.

Never noticed! ::wink

Wait a minute... so you don't look like the Guvinator? Aw shucks! ::tongue

• 1 month later...
Wait a minute... so you don't look like the Guvinator? Aw shucks!

Haha.. My French teacher, a German man of 70 years and 7.5 languages (the half is English) had a picture he showed us more or less every week (not the best memory, but we love him for it) of Schwartzenneger that said that.

"Savez-vous Le Gubernator?"

"Oui, M. Dietz, je sais Le Gubernator.." ::dozingoff

After a year or so of lurking on here, I finally got round to registering. So it'd be rude not to make a formal introduction.

Forum Name: Sphere.

Name in other parts: Sphere...again (over in Nprime).

So whats the story? Well I'm a 27 year old guy who lives and works in London as a Laboratory Supervisor. I've been a gamer since my early teens. Starting with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (go samurai tyranosaurus!) and working my way through a variety of different systems and genres.

I'm a voracious reader, tending to work through three or four books a week depending. Big fan of the comics, although only recently came back into the cape-and-costumes stuff by way of The Authority and Grant Morrison's New X-Men.

I've been the GM for my group for about four years now. We started off playing a chaotic, bloody, and extremely funny Fomori campaign in the needlessly angst ridden WoD. That ended when the guys foolishly tampered with the wiring on a pair of mystically charged nuclear weapons. Luckily I'd recently been introduced to Aberrant and had managed to convince them to swop their bane-possessed psychos for quantum-charged conspiracy breakers.

My Aberrant game's been running for nearly two years now, and is doing very well thank you.

What'll they be putting on your tombstone? The world shall hear from me again.

Favourite non-Aberrant game? Paranoia, gimme those Yellow-clearance black box blues any day of the week. Certainly the (DELETED FOR SECURITY REASONS).

Well, I may as well join in the fun....

Username: JessiLaurn

AKA: Jessica, Kalannar

OK, who the hell are you, really? Jessica Lauren Orsini

And where are you located? 23km NNE of Central Nowhere

Um, no, really, where are you? Centralia, Missouri

And you do what, exactly? I'm an assistant to the editor of the Journal of Insect Behavior, as well as a computer support technician for the College of Agriculture at the University of Missouri.

No, you idiot, what do you do that's fun? Oh, that. I'm an avid and longtime RPGer, going back to the old printings of D&D that came with a chit card in lieu of dice, and working my way up through Shadowrun, Marvel Superheroes, GURPS, Hero System, a multitude of Storyteller games, and such oddballs as Buffy, Bureau 13 and Tales of the Floating Vagabond. I'm also an avid and longtime wargamer, with a particular emphasis on Star Fleet Battles; I've written articles for Captain's Log, and have had a race of my own design published for use with the game. I also sculpt starship miniatures, and have had no fewer than 30 of my minis -- either kitbashes or scratch-built masters -- go into production for use with SFB. I'm a fair hand with a Beretta 92F, and a better one with my custom-built crossbow; my swordplay leaves something to be desired, unfortunately, and thus I'm in the market for a good kenjitsu instructor (few and far between in these parts). I'm old enough to remember Nixon in office, and thus am a Democrat; I'm the "leftish" part of a moderation team for a political/sociological/religious online discussion board. I'm a devout follower of Bast, albeit though a pseudo-Wiccan perspective.

Tales From The Floating Vagabond was a great game, just teleport your random characters into a space pub for instant hilarity. Space Nazis, Bikini Girls, and that cool gimmick that meant there was always a chandelier/vine hanging around for you to swing heroically from...even in the desert. Like Paranoia without a hostile GM.

SFB was always good too. Always went for the Andromedans or the Tholians myself. ::biggrin

SFB: I tend to go more for the Hydrans or ISC in a squadron or fleet matchup, but if it's a single ship affair, I'll go with the Klingons every time.

TftVB: Ah, yes, the schticks. I was a fan of the Rogers and Hammerstein schtick, in which you were followed around by your own theme music, which would shift to a minor key if trouble was about to occur.

• 8 months later...

Forums ID:

Steele

Known Elsewhere As:

Depends on what you play......... @Steele on COH.

.......and in real life?

Mike

........and about me?

I never know how to do this. So this may be kinda random. I'm a real estate agent in Las Vegas, NV. My dad's my broker, who's been treating me like a personal assistant since I got my license. It's a cool gig, kinda get to set my own hours, but it does get frustrating at times.

I've been role playing ever since I met Archer like almost 14 years ago? My first gaming experience was with what they called Power, Fame, and Fortune. Ask Archer. Since then, I've play/read/made characters for; all the versions of D&D, Marvel, Rifts, Pendragon, Nightsbane(Nightspawn at the time), Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Hunter, Midnight Circus, Abberant, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Stargate, and games involving custom/downloaded character types from d20 and White Wolf systems. And that's all I really remember. I also did Larping for a time.

I've also spent a LOT of time playing games like Quake, Unreal, Warcraft 2&3, Diablo, Counter Strike, etc.... I've been into MMORPG's since Everquest. Currently only playing City of Heroes, waiting for City of Villians.

I love anime.

I have currently decided to go to school for film/photography. It's something that I enjoy doing, but I'm lazy and haven't been motivated to immerse myself in it yet. Mostly cause of funding and space tho.

umm, yeah. I think that's about it.

Steele

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forum Name: Sablesma

Known Elsewhere As: Sablesma (not sure where elsewhere would really be though...)

Real Life: Jackson

About Me:

I'm a student. From Nashville. Study in Baltimore. Right now studying in Copenhagen. I'm a Psych major. Which is fun.

i used to roleplay alot. lots of D&D, star wars, marvel superheroes, vampire. got into aberrant more recently. the demands of real life mean i haven't been doing any of that in a while. i used to come on these forums back when i first discovered aberrant and just read the games. i registered but haven't the slightest idea what my name was. so now i'm back. with a new name.

i'm not sure what else, so that's about it.

• 2 months later...

Forum Name Tomasdark

Real Name Thomas Henderson

Where i be Stationed in San Diego , CA

About me! Well i like to game, duh im in a game forum. I am in the Navy, have sailed around the world (literally), and spent quite awhile in the gulf. I reside in San Diego so if any of ya'll are near here get ahold of me okay! Lets see.... oh yeah i Love Pro Footbal GO DOLPHINS!!! And the occasional lotsa beer.

Thanks and Tomas has left the building!

• 1 month later...

Forum ID: Crimfan, which is my usual net forum ID everywhere else. ('Tis a reference to King Crimson, not the University of Alabama.)

Name: Jay

I am a grad student in quantitative psychology (aka statistics) at the University of Illinois (which is one of the best programs in the world) though I expect to be a professor next year and thus be moving on.

We're currently playing Aberrant here and have played Adventure in the past. I'd like to give Trinity a go at some point but that looks like it's a ways off.

I've played a small ton of other games over the years since I started back in, oh, 1981 or thereabouts with good old red box D&D.

Jay

Forum ID: Crimfan, which is my usual net forum ID everywhere else. ('Tis a reference to King Crimson, not the University of Alabama.)

Name: Jay

I am a grad student in quantitative psychology (aka statistics) at the University of Illinois (which is one of the best programs in the world) though I expect to be a professor next year and thus be moving on.

We're currently playing Aberrant here and have played Adventure in the past. I'd like to give Trinity a go at some point but that looks like it's a ways off.

Welcome, o member of the beast. ::devil

Call me 'Expendable'.

Please, no lectures. I hear them all the time. Really. Along with "another suicidally depressed teen" and the ever popular forum psychologist opinion "doing it for the attention".

Navy brat, I've traveled alot. I like to write. I like to game. I also like to keep my distance. People scare me. I've got a copy of Trinity but BlueNinja's been tempting me with Aberrant. Fiend. He also thinks with my nick I'm going to be stepping into a bunch of traps.

You wouldn't do that to me, would you? O.O;

-Ex

=^_^;=

Archived