Get to know each other!

CHILL

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is one hell of a drinking game!

I still can't believe one of my best friends recommended that movie. You could actually see it getting worse by the minute.

:)

And if we're slipping poison into our drinks, be careful - my family comes from sicily, and one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less famous is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when *death* is on the line!"

Berandor

stretches family history to include a princess bride quote

I started fencing the very same week that I watched Highlander (There be be only only. Except for you Duncan and you ...oh... and another immortal...). The first time I saw the Princess Bride (from a recommendation from my brother) I loved the film. The fight scene was the best. When I was at college I was the captain of the fencing club and every week me and a mate would have a fight quoting either the Princess Bride or Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader ("You cannot win.") Then I started fencing with a saber...

heh, there's an uppity fencer at the coffee shop where i spend my free time. he picked a mock fight with pax's_pimp one night. pax trained in judo for several years so he tried to get in close as quickly as possible. the look on the fencer's face when pax ran at him was pretty funny, it was even funnier when the guy took the fencing stance out of habit and thrust, it was hilarious seeing the look on his face when he realized he didn't have a sword.

::smiley1  ::smiley1  ::smiley1  ::smiley1  ::smiley1

i hear you harle

a friend and i once decided to try sparring, since he had a few years in kyuki-do (a version of tae kwon do, mixed with various other styles), and i had a couple years of shotokan karate.

when we first got ready and i lined up about 2.5 yards away from him he was surprised.  not nearly as surprised as he was when he was inching in and then i shifted in the rest of the distance, probably close to 4 feet.

his style relies on keeping your position and guarding, while mine involves moving - really far.  i've seen the talented guys (not me) make up as much as 10 feet to score techniques in sparring.

Popping in real quick-like, as I'm on lunch, I did some years of fencing. Still have all my gear. (Not sure I fit into the jacket anymore, as my shoulders have gotten wider since, and so has my waist.  ;) )

About differing styles, I did lots of fencing, and practiced on occasion with another guy who was teaching me saber. A friend of mine somehow knew a little kendo (I think it was kendo) and decided to challenge me to a bout to test the styles. It was almost humorous how easily I could defend against him. (After modifying my style a bit.)

All you fencers know how quickly one must react to tiny changes in blade posturing, etc. With the long sweeps he was trained in, I could take my time.

Hm. Oddly reminds me of the Sock Wars from my youth. I may relate that someday. Then again, from the looks people are likely have on their faces, maybe not.  :P

-Joseph

OK, my turn.

For those of you having problems finding that weird letter in my name on your keyboards, I'm norwegian. We use letters like that all the time. Asbjørn is my real name, and the only one I use online too. I have no idea what kind of alias I'd pick anyway.

I'm 26 years old, and study human geography in the University of Oslo, but for the last ten years or so I've mostly wasted my time on various kinds of RPGs. The biggest timestealers are all the larps I'm involved in. Now, before you assume anything about that hobby, Scandinavian larp is nothing like what you're used to. I'll be happy to explain, but not here. It would take too much time and space. As for tabletop roleplaying, I've been through a lot of different styles, but mostly play WoD, CoC - Delta Green and Deadlands. I bought the Aeon corebooks a while ago, and I'm getting ready to start a Trinity campaign in the near future.

When I'm not pretending to be someone else, I study, work at a warehouse, train capoeira or just generally do whatever it takes to keep up my own social life.

I'm not married, but have been with the same girlfriend for six years, and lived with her for three, so I might as well be... And she's almost as obsessed with rpgs and larp as I am, so no problems there... lucky guy, huh?

Of course, this post doesn't even begin to sum me up, but it's a start, I guess. Oh yeah, and I'm a really nice guy.

I have had a couple of drunken fencing bouts - no safety equipment of course and we tended to stop whrn someone got hurt (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!).

The best fights of late have been with the toy lightsabers that you can but. Get a couple of mates, get pissed and get outside in the dark. It's great fun. Although we did have to stop one night when we thought one of my mates had broken my nose. He didn't but his wife and my girlfriend, (almost wife - I know what you mean about being almost married Asbjorn (can't find that key. Sorry. Hello by the way.) were not impressed.

Another time during was the recent summer I was playing Darth Maul (with the dual ended saber - my weapon of choice.) I was facing Qui-Gon and Obi Wan. I did a high block on the left and parried low right. Then the lightsaber snapped in half! I stood there just holding the two halves while it's owner looked on in shock! I was so apologetic and have since bought a new one for him but he won't let me use it. Perhaps if I use the Dark Side...

Ok i guess it's my turn at this,

Known on other furums as Ayre el KaBeer and Horrace Livingston.

Ocupation: Currently helping out at my parents resturant, and hopefully going back to uni (I'll settle for night school) to do a computer science course next year. Studied Biotechnology for a while but kept failing Mathematics and Organic chemistry, so I was ousted.

I've been roleplaying for 4 years now, I was introduced to it by a friend in the first year of university so i partially blame it for my miserable results. The first game i played was a Vampire the masquerade Sabbat and i was hooked. The session lasted 10 hours before a couple of us had to leave to catch the last train, the 2 that stayed kept playing for another 5 hours. The 2nd game was a Vampire:tDA (great game), 3rd was a our own version of star wars using mostly the WW system but with our own power creations, it was called Jedi: the old republic (loved it, it lasted 2 years). 4th was a Camarilla elders game (Some loved it others hated it), 5th was Werewolf (fun but didnt last long), 6th Demon Hunter X (great fun ::devil ). The rest were a mix of the above mentioned and a few of our own creations, untill a few months ago when we started a D&D 3ed  game which to my surprise is quite fun, the only problem (which the DM...err...ST...err...DM is doing a good job at fixing) is that it's too much of a hack and slash game. Oh and we played Legend of the 5 rings once ::ninja , it was great but the other players saw it as an easy way for the GM to force our charcters to do what ever he wanted otherwise we'd all have to commit ritual suicide, so they refused to play any other sessions (pitty)  :(  

I'm currently working on a trinity game, it'll be my first try at a long running game and it should be ready soon so here's hoping I do it well.  ::thumbs-up

okay, i'll bite.

Name: Dave Makovec

I've been playing roleplaying games for a while now, i don't even remember how old i was when i started, but it can't have been much older than 12.  I started on DnD, then moved on to the World of Darkness, as well as some other games that i don't quite remember (there may have been some Call of Chthulu and some Champions in there, can't be sure).  Now i'm all about the aeonverse, but i am in a couple of other games currently, a Forgotten Realms dnd campaign, and exalted game, and transylvania chronicles for vampire.

Let's see, non-gaming Dave... i'm a senior at the University of Wisconsin, majoring in French and Political Science, and trying desperately to graduate in four years.  I tried engineering and computer science but didn't like either of them and decided to get away from all that advanced math and science, which is just a euphemism for advanced math.

I am constantly plagued by either girl problems or my sisters insisting I go out and cause myself some girl problems, which does not please me one bit.  

After i graduate, there are a whole lot of things i'm thinking of doing, none of which stand out over the rest, unfortunately.  decisions, decisions.  right now, i'm trying to prolong any life and career decisions for as long as possible.  we'll see how that goes.

oh, and darthphil, my friends and i went through probably close to a half-dozen lightsabers by fighting.

we were playing once and a friend of mine blocked a high stroke from my lightsaber, and mine broke and continued toward him and the edge ended up hitting him just outside of his eye, where he came away with quite a welt.

• 4 months later...

Forum ID:

Bahamut810

Known Elsewhere As:

The Great God of Lexmark Printers Mike, Twinkie, Andy, Narcsis, Gren

.... and in real life?

Mike

About me

Im Mike. I was born in Dayton, Ohio. My Dad was in the AirForce so I have moved many-a-places. Guam, Germany, DC, Texas, Ohio. MY dad retired before I was legal age and we moved to KY...yay! Anyway I met my wife attening EKU. I dropped out so I could work (among the entire being too lazy to do my HW thing). She is still in, getting her English (creative writing) degree. I am now working at Lexmark doing business printer HW support. Big fun there...

I have been gaming for about 6 years. I started with ADnD....didnt game much with that. I since moved onto white wolf games. My fav by far is Aberrant. My favorite Sig char is Skew. I have 2 fav powers, Mag Mastery and Spacial Mastery. I should be getting a copy of Trinity in the next few I hope.

Hmmm....anything else....

Im a computer geek...thats most of what I do. I can help do just about anythign you need (I used to do HP tech support...I have no life either so you can MSN me if you need help ::blush )

Thats it for now! Take me to your leader!

Welcome aboard, Bahamut! It's good to see another techie in here. Now we can really throw a party on SysAdmin Appreciation Day. ::smokin

As for that "take me to your leader" part, he's that guy over in the corner muttering to himself in a Brit accent with Tex-speak and Cali-talk mixed in. He's mostly harmless, though.

Mostly. ::unsure

-Joseph

Heya Bahamut! Welcome to the chaos ::biggrin

... is it any wonder that i'm usually to be found in a corner, muttering to myself, with these pair around *indicates joe and harle* ? ::wink

... and you know, Joe really isn't joking on the cali/tx/brit speak... *sigh*. I'm just gonna have to get used to it ::tongue

....and harle..... thats all the heardstart you're getting.....

::smokin

(ahem.. the code and I have an 'understanding', I'll have you know ::devilangel )

Hoody Frickin Hoo!

My turn now.

My Forum ID:

[COLOR=red]DORMAMMU] ( ::bigsmile )

Other ID´s: Lactan, Darklord. But mostly Dormammu.

In real life: Thorsten

Now to something completely Different...................

I´ve been born on 01st of August.76, this means I´m an oldtimer myself.

(my last brthday my Girlfriend asked: Did you cry when all those Dinosaurs died?) ::smiley4

I´m a German, as some might have found out, (@chill: ::bigsmile ) and I´m a gamer since 14 years now. I have played dozens of games and tried to create some myself(no success on this one yet). I like to ride my bicycle ::smile , I like Karate, but I´m not good in it. My favorit music styles are: Gothic, Black Metal, Speed Metal, Pig-Metal, Classic-Metal.........

Well, I do like some of the "normal" stuff, too but it is unusual to hear me humming Britney or her 101 clones ::crazy . (Just my Opinion here).

What else can be said?Nothing of real importance anymore. so I just quit now.

bye CU.

Did you cry when all those Dinosaurs died?

looks like you have something in common with chill and joseph then. ::wink ::biggrin ::halo

*doesn't both to run, just meanders away*

after all how would they catch me with those walkers and wheelchairs

i'm really in for it now aren't i? ::cool

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning (Or depending upon what time you're reading this Good afternoon or Good evening)

Real name: Michael (I used to not like it but I recently found out the name means 'who is like God' in Latin ::halo )

Dislikes: Anytime that I can't wear my sunglasses

What else to say, as I said I enjoy discussion and I hope that you all will indulge me, I'm really better at answering direct questions. So does anybody have one for me? ::lookaround

• 3 months later...

My turn I guess...

Real name: Stephen Quick...yep, my last name is really Quick. Don't start. ::rolleyes

Interests: Well, roleplaying for one...I've played a bit of everything, from D&D, to the various WW games, some Palladium(loved Nightspawn/Nightbane), Star Wars...did LARP for a few years too. My other primary interest is collecting fine cutlery. The knife is man's oldest tool, and I've always admired the craftsmanship that goes into creating them. As a result, I know waaaay too much about knife steels, how they're made, and the different custom makers out there. So, if you ever have a question about a knife, feel free to ask. ::smile

I live in Las Vegas, NV, where I do currently do tech support for Earthlink. I've also done support for Dell, WebTV, Logitech, Adobe, etc. Um...that's all I can think of for now.

Oh, and I'm very happy to have found EON, this is the only place where I can actually roleplay with my schedule! Thanks everyone! ::biggrin

Wait...you have been here how long and you havent done this yet?? ::wink

Anyhoo...its good to know a fellow tech support guy...though I do have to catch up. You have 2 or 3 more companies under your belt then I do (I only have HP Pavallion PCs and Lexmark business printers sadly...i think...).

Anyhoo...better days!

Me: Please right-click on My Computer, please.

End User: Okay.

Me: Now choose Properties.

EU: I don't see that.

Me: What do you see, sir?

EU: I see the C: drive, Control Panel...

Me: Sir, did you right-click?

EU: Of course I did! Oh, wait...

Me:(hitting the mute button and venting)

• 1 month later...

Hey Archer.. We have something in common.. I did tech support for Dell....

"Thank you for calling Dell Technical Support, My name isn't important. May I have your service tag number please?"

It haunts my dreams... I had someone who thought my extention was an open ended invite to call and ask me about any problem he had...

*grins* Wish I could get into another Tech SUpport job thou...

--

Me ::devilangel

Welcome to the forums, Malkboy! Glad to see you've leaped headlong into the fray of Quantum Zero.

So.. I assume that you come bearing information about the dark inner workings of tech support workers with which we can blackmail Archer, yes? ::devil ::ninja

• 2 months later...

Archived