What is the history of Fantasy writing?

Dr.0

I am painfully curious. It seems that back in college, the history and Sci-Fi was better known and the theme itself was more respected than straight out Fantasy. As such, I know some stuff about the origin of Sci-Fi but nothing about Fantasy writing. Anyone wish to enlighten me?

By “writing”, I mean a very broad definition, so toss in anything you feel is of importance. Role-Playing, comic books, radio shows, cave painting, whatever.

Also, why do you think Sci-Fi is more respected than Fantasy?

It pays better. No kidding the reason is because sci-fi is a genre that because of people like Hugo Gensback & other poineers the envelop was pushed toward literary speculation. I mean we've got writers like HG Wells, Haggards,Poe,Verne, & all the others its not hard. Science Fiction is the powerhouse of people who dared to take a glimpse into the possible futures & delve into areas that aren't always comfortable. It can be argued that fantasy is simply an extension of man's imagination while science fiction has scraped away at the back brain with a dull puddy knife allowing us to see ourselves in a distorted mirror. Science Fiction is a continuing field. However in the last 5 years we've seen an upswing in the popularity of fantasy. I hope & pray that sci-fi will catch up. Some very important writers might even behere as I type these words..  :pukesmiley

Archived