Trinity Universe: PULP BRITANNIA!!

El Enano Gigante

Thursday February 12th 1925:  12-14 Mayfair, London.

7.30 pm -

From the outside, you’d be forgiven for thinking that this was a normal row of high-class town houses.  Three of them, however, belonged to one owner – Lady Sarah Loadham.  Originally she had planned to rent them out – then she joined the Aeon Society……  Two months and one good builder later, and 12-14 Mayfair was the home of Aeon’s London chapter.  Dr. Morpheus checked his pocket watch, and put the book he was studying back on the shelf.  People should be arriving soon.  He walked from the library towards the conference room, knowing the others would be assembled there already.  Tonight was to be the first full meeting since Vaughn’s cunning plan for a ‘recruitment drive’.  The four members of Aeon who remained active since the founding of the chapter would tonight meet the new and potential members.  ‘New Blood’, Vaughn had called them.  Given the recent turn of events, Morpheus hoped this wasn’t meant literally.

As he passed through the hallway, Morpheus heard a knock at the door.  He paused for a moment, expecting Sato to appear from nowhere to answer it, as he usually did.  Then he remembered that Sato was still missing.  Dr. Morpheus strode to the front door, and opened it wide to greet the visitor outside……………….

(Your turn, ladies and gents…….)  

:D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr Morpheus opens the door on a tall man of heavyish build, dessed in an immaculate black suit of classic cut - standing with his hand poised to knock again, whilst looking over his shoulder down the stairs towards the road.  [Think Steven Fry in Jeeves and Wooster - age - somewhere in his mid 30s]

Oh!  I'm terribly sorry, sir.  He lowers his hand and somehow manages to affect a smile that is both charmingly self-conscious and ever so slightly smug.  My name is Henry Smith.  May I present Mr Richard Thomas Theodore Winston.

As if by magic, another well-dressed man appears at the gate and makes his way almost jauntily up the stairs, tapping a silver tipped cane as he goes.  This man is thin, but as tall as the first.  His suit, waistcoat and bowler have obviously come directly from Jermyn Street - bearing the marks of both classical cut and a doff of the cap to the latest fashion.

Good day.  Richard Winston, very pleased to meet you, says Mr Winston aiming a warm, disarmingly genuine smile at Doctor Morpheus whilst offering a firm handshake.  [Think Ray Fiennes in the truly horrible avengers remake - but with a reasonably sized moustache]  I've been rather looking forward to this for some time!

With the door opened, none other than the good Dr. Robin Roscoe steps into the London chapter of Aeon.

He was, to tell the truth, a plain-looking man. Dressed in a traditional grey suit of recent fashion, and with his short brown hair slicked back neatly, he looked simply like any other well-to-do gentleman of the day. Of an average build- not particularly short, tall, burly, or lean, any other details regarding his physical state were well concealed by his clothing. He carried his black leather 'doctor's bag' with him, as was his habit; one never knew when he'd have to perform an impromptu 'house call'.

He nodded jovially to Dr. Morpheus as he entered the room, glancing about. "Looks like I'm the first one here, hrm?" The doctor's english carried a distinctly american (though educated) tone, betraying his nationality.

Mr. Winston, Mr Smith. Glad you could both make it tonight. Morpheus ushered the two gentlemen into the hallway. Some of the others are gathered in the conference room.......

Knock, Knock, Knock

One moment, please.  The conference room is the first door on your right.. Smiling apologetically, Morpheus returned to the front door.

With the door opened, none other than the good Dr. Robin Roscoe steps into the London chapter of Aeon. He nodded jovially to Dr. Morpheus as he entered the room, glancing about. \"Looks like I'm the first one here, hrm?\" The doctor's english carried a distinctly american (though educated) tone, betraying his nationality.

Dr Roscoe, welcome. You are not quite the first, some of the others are gathered in the conference room. Shall we....

Morpheus leads the Doctor to catch up with Smith and Winston.

The conference room is spacious and well decorated, with a large open fire place and a window facing on to the street at the front of the building.  The room is dominated by a large, circular table, surrounded by high backed wooden chairs.  In the corner, a gramophone plays soft, classical music.  Seated at the table is a young woman in her early twenties, with a slim figure, blonde hair, and winning smile, wearing a simple brown skirt and white blouse. Next to her is a man with black hair, greying at the temples, who appears to be in his mid thirties.  He wears a dark green suit, and is playing solitaire.

Gentlemen - may I introduce Lady Sarah Loadham, and Mr Paul Vaughn Morpheus gestures at the table.

Please, come in and take a seat smiles Lady Sarah I've been dying to meet you both!

Vaughn looks up from his game, smiles and waves. Come in.  Tony should be along any minute - I think he's in the kitchen arranging some food

Hello, I'm Richard Winston.  Very pleased to meet you.  Richard says to Dr Roscoe when he sees that Dr Morpheus isn't going to introduce them.

Henry Smith hangs up coats and hats and then fades into the background with conspicuous invisibilty.

"Lady Loadham," Richard nods and takes her hand to kiss it. "Richard Winston. Charmed to be here."

Once Mr Vaughn has had a chance to stand up Richard offers a handshake and a warm greeting - only taking a seat once Dr Roscoe has finished all the usual handshakings and whatnot.

On hearing the comment about the kitchen Henry vanishes in what he guesses to be the right direction to offer any assistance that he can.

Hello, I'm Richard Winston.  Very pleased to meet you.  Richard says to Dr Roscoe when he sees that Dr Morpheus isn't going to introduce them.

Henry Smith hangs up coats and hats and then fades into the background with conspicuous invisibilty.

"Lady Loadham," Richard nods and takes her hand to kiss it. "Richard Winston. Charmed to be here."

Once Mr Vaughn has had a chance to stand up Richard offers a handshake and a warm greeting - only taking a seat once Dr Roscoe has finished all the usual handshakings and whatnot.

On hearing the comment about the kitchen Henry vanishes in what he guesses to be the right direction to offer any assistance that he can.

Lady Loadham smiles and looks a little embarressed I must apologise for the Doctor's behaviour.  He often forgets civilities at the best of times, and he has been a little...preoccupied of late.  Welcome to the society.

She turns to frown at Morpheus, only to discover that he has left the room.

Perhaps you could tell me a little more about yourself, Mr Winston? While we wait for the others to arrive?

(ooc - Must remember: do not post updates just before leaving for work.... ::blush - sorry guys)

I must apologise for the Doctor's behaviour.  He often forgets civilities at the best of times, and he has been a little...preoccupied of late.  Welcome to the society.

\"Thank you, Lady Loadham.\"

\"I hadn't noticed anything amiss with the doctor.  Is he distressed about something by any chance?\"

Perhaps you could tell me a little more about yourself, Mr Winston? While we wait for the others to arrive?

"Oh dear.  I'm afraid there isn't much to tell really," Richard looks somewhat pained.  "I haven't been doing much of interest since my wife... passed on..."  The moment lasts... (Richard twists the plain wedding band on his finger as he says this.)

"I spent some time in the army of course... with the War and after.  Now I just hope I can be of more use than I have been over these past years."

Not nearly as etiquitte-minded as other folks in the room, nor nearly as...outgoing, Dr. Roscoe remains generally quiet as he slips into the dining room, carrying himself with an odd sort of assured, though quiet, dignity. At Vaughn's offered hand, the good doctor replies in turn, shaking the offered hand accordingl with a small smile.

"Oh, England's a nice country, I must say. Though this is hardly the first time I've passed through, either..."

A figure, dressed in a black overcoat & fedora, with a scarf wrapped around the lower half of his face (obscuring his features completely) darts furtively past the conference room's street window.

After knocking & entering the figure waits for Dr Morpheus to close the door, before removing his rather over-done outer layers of clothing, hanging them up on a coat-stand near the door. Underneath is the figure of a man dressed all in black: boots, trousers, turtleneck jumper, & gloves. However, that part of his body now uncovered, his head, proves to be not that of a 'man' at all, but a sculpted & polished 'skull' of mahogany, with a featureless brass plate, polished to a mirror shine, for a 'face'. What can be seen of the neck is also handcrafted mahogany & brass. The very perceptive can make out the faint whirs & clicks of clockwork mechanisms as the 'automaton' moves. He turns first to Dr Morpheus, then to 'look' (although, without any 'eyes' as such it is unknown how such a being could actually 'see') towards the conference room, whilst asking the Dr,

"Are you sure they will accept me Doctor? I don't want to frighten anyone."

His voice has a strange hollow metalic resonance to it.

\"I hadn't noticed anything amiss with the doctor.  Is he distressed about something by any chance?\"

\"Please, call me Sarah. everyone else does.  I'm afraid he's been pushing himself a little too hard recently.  A friend of ours was....injured a few months ago. Dr. Morpheus has become a little obsessed with finding a way to help him\".

\"Oh dear.  I'm afraid there isn't much to tell really,\" Richard looks somewhat pained.  \"I haven't been doing much of interest since my wife... passed on...\"  The moment lasts... (Richard twists the plain wedding band on his finger as he says this.)

"I'm sorry, I really shouldn't pry.  I hope I haven't offended you....."

\"Are you sure they will accept me Doctor? I don't want to frighten anyone.\"

Morpheus places his hand on the mechanical man's shoulder and smiles reassuringly.  "Joseph, my friends have fought fish-men in Cornwall, and giant, blind albino bears in the sewers beneath eastern European city states.  I doubt that your...unusual appearance will frighten them too much.  As for our newer members, well.  I'd like to think that they will judge you on your words and deeds rather than your looks. Come on. Let's introduce you."

With this, Morpheus leads Joseph to the conference room.

Morpheus re-enters the conference room with the new arrival in tow.

"I apologise for my earlier brusqueness, but my mind was elsewhere.  I'd like you all to meet another of our newer members.  This is Joseph Blank."

Morpheus steps to one side to allow Joseph entry into the room.  Lady Sarah stares open mouthed at him for a second before remebering herself.  Even the normally unflappable Vaughn raises an eybrow at the sight of a being composed entirely of mahogany and brass.

"Pleased to make your aquaintance, Mr Blank." says Sarah, having regained her composure. "Please, take a seat.."

It seems that the good Lady Sarah isn't the only one stunned by Mr. Blank's appearance, as Dr. Roscoe blinks as well, jaw dropping accordingly. He blinks a few times, face contorted into an uncharactiristic expression of shock. Though prone to adventuring himself, he can't claim to crossing paths with such a...mechanical, creature.

Even still, he shakes his head, attempting to regain his composure. "Well...greetings, Mr. Blank." he notes, clearing his throat accordingly. He should have expected this sort of thing, given the nature of the Aeon society...but it's rather unexpected, none the less.

\"Please, call me Sarah. everyone else does.
Richard nods, appreciatively - \"Please - Richard\" indicating that she should feel free to do likewise without overly interrupting her train of thought.
I'm afraid he's been pushing himself a little too hard recently.  A friend of ours was....injured a few months ago. Dr. Morpheus has become a little obsessed with finding a way to help him\".

\"Ah, well then he would have excellent reason to be contrary  - but he is not.  I have little medical knowledge, but I will, obviously, help in any way that I can.\"

\"I'm sorry, I really shouldn't pry.  I hope I haven't offended you.....\"

Richard makes a dismissive gesture with his hand and says, "Sarah, you weren't to know.  Besides... it is high time that I moved on... my... it looks like we have another arrival."

Richard stands, acknowledges Dr Morpheus's appology with a smile, and shakes hands with Mr Blank - "Richard Winston.  Pleased to meet you." - if he is even the tinyest bit startled by the new arrival it doesn't show on his face, nor does his educated, Oxford, accent show the tinyest trace of anything but the pleasure of making a new acquaintance.

Joe shakes Mr Winston's hand (very) firmly. Beneath the glove his mechanical hand feels almost skeletal, but his grip is strong. The way Richard's face is reflected & distorted in Joe's own mirror-like face-plate is eerie (even if such a stiff-upper-lipped gentleman would never show it!).

"Thank you Mr Winston", Joe then looks to the others in the room as a whole, "And thank you all. It is an honour to be amongst such an open-minded group of people. If I can ever be of any service, please don't hesitate to ask. And please, my friends call me Joe."

Joe then (with his usual quiet whiring & clicking) takes the seat offered by Lady Sarah.

"Hello? do I have the right address here?"  The distinctly american voice is soon followed by the appearance of a decently tall man dressed in what the culturally aware would note as the latest american fashion, the long trenchcoat and fedora just gaining popularity in the states, with a strong face that won't turn any heads.  

"Copacetic! I'm in the right place.  I'm Andrew Ford, sorry i'm late, but I can't make heads or tails of the streets here.  i almost got in a crash three different times!!"

*looks around for a coat rack* "where can i hang up my hat and coat?"

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Roscoe glances around the room, noting the 'odd' nature of its inhabitants- the Mechanical Joe, in particular. This, combined with the bits and pieces of information he's heard regarding the Aeon society, finally add up in his keen mind. And so, he pushes his glasses up his nose and clears his throat a bit, as to garner some attention to himself for the words he's about to say.

"Forgive me for being presumptious, but something tells me that we weren't invited for just a spot of dining and some light conversation..."

OOC: Ook! Let's get this going! :)

*to henry smith* oh, excellent, thank you.

*moves into the main room and originally starts making a beeline towards the seat nearest the lovely Lady Sarah, until he sees Joseph*

well, it's good to meet all of you, i've heard quite a bit abo...my, aren't you just the technical marvel?  why, the sheer implications of this are staggering!!  what a magnificent display of engineering!!  *spouts off some technical language that i couldn't begin to make up convincingly*...oh, sorry to beat my gums, the marvels of the world can distract me sometimes.  and where are my manners?  joe, is it?  call me andrew, it's a pleasure to meet you.

shall we get down to the matter at hand?

What sort of implications were you refering to?

well, just the idea of creating a sentient machine, with free will and emotions!! i wish i had thought of you myself, my good man!  i was sure that creating artificial intelligence was at least twenty years away * :) * but someone has done it!!  if i could duplicate the experiment, just think about the possibilities!!  sentient beings created specifically for, well, anything!!  if the right machine was created with a medical aptitude, disease could be wiped out!  or, we could create non-sentient machines programmed for specific tasks.  think about it, dangerous work would no longer need be done by people, and war would become obsolete when countries no longer field living armies!  mind you, i'm talking about just machines.  i have no intention of offending your sensibilities, for you, sir, are far more than just a machine.  joe, you could be the messenger for a new golden age!

would you have any idea about my origins?

unfortunately, no.  i was hoping you could tell me more about that.  if i could talk to your creator, i think i could duplicate the experiment.

Joe looks at the floor at his feet,

"I don't know what purpose I was created for, or who created me. My friend Ben repaired me, but even he doesn't know what gives me life, despite his skill as a watchmaker."

Joe looks again towards Mr Ford,

"What if I was created for something terrible like war? Maybe I'd be better off not knowing, but somehow I feel I need to find out who & what I am."

"well, joe, as soon as we know what's going on, and we have a little bit of free time, i can probably find out what you can do, and that will give me a clue as to what you were created for, and maybe even by whom.

if you were created for something terrible like war, well, none of us were, but we might have to fight at some point.  

war may be evil, but sometimes it's the only way.

on the up side, if you were made for war, i could probably rework you to get that out of your, well, programming for lack of a better word.  there isn't much i can't do with machines."

Joe remains still, face turned towards Andrew Ford (who can see a somewhat disturbing, distorted, image of himself in the polished brass of the face-plate). A few moments tick by after Mr Ford's last statement, then Joe carefully replies,

"When you say 'programming', Andrew, do you mean my mind? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of my sense of self being altered. The last thing I'd want to do would be to hurt anybody, even if that proves to be the reason I was created. I would like to know more about my creator though, & would appreciate any insights you may be able to provide."

He looks back at the floor for a moment, before looking again towards Andrew,

"If it helps at all I can tell you that my workings are clockwork, & Ben tells me they are hand-crafted. My... 'heart'... for want of a better word",

at this Joe's hand briefly touches the centre of his chest,

"is a red crystal that shines with an inner light. That light is passed through a series of perforated copper discs that are in constant, & seemingly random, motion. Ben is unsure of what these parts of me do, but tells me that they were still, & the crystal dim, before I woke up."

"A Golem."

So comes the quiet voice of Dr. Roscoe, after he's regarded Joe for quite some time. As if sensing the need for an explaination, he elaborates. "An old Jewish folktale, in which a Rabbi used magic to give life to a man made from clay in order to protect his neighborhood. A little more benevolent than Frankenstein's creature, at the least."

He shrugs, then pushes his glasses further up on his nose. "Though I do find it rather interesting that someone was able to emulate life so...accurately."

Joe's featureless brass face swings round to fix on Dr Roscoe,

"So, Doctor, are you suggesting I was given life by magic? Is there any evidence that such forces actually exist? Do you have any experience in the occult? I like the idea of being created to protect people. Do you know a Rabbi we could talk to about it? Maybe I am Jewish?"

Joe pauses, still looking at the good Doctor.

"Magic is merely a form of science which we have yet to decipher" answers Morpheus from the head of the table "Given time, I am sure that we will find your true origins, Joe.  Which brings me to the reason for this gathering..."  Morpheus walks slowly around the table, meeting the gaze of each of the guests as he goes  "Each of you is gifted in ways beyond the average person.  We have dedicated ourselves to unravelling the mysteries of this new age, and protecting humanity from those who would use their gifts to harm and subjucate others.  And we would like you to join us...."

A loud crashing is heard from the downstairs kitchen, and Morpheus falters in mid-speech.  "What on earth.........."

CRASH!

A ragged and bloody figure hurtles through the window, and slide across the massive table...........

OOC: Apologies for the extended absence - unavoidable real-life troubles.....Nice to see you managed without me, though........  ::bigsmile

On the street outside a figure huddles against the wind. He's used to the cold, but the snow and darkness makes it hard to see. 12-14 Mayfair... should be right about here...

Eyes squinting against the wind, he looks at the streetsign. Ah.. there it is. The next block. He walks purposefully towards the building, when suddenly a loud crash pierces the sound of the wind.

Hva i helvete...? That sound came from the next block! Muttering under his breath, he runs swiftly down the street looking for whatever caused the sound.

OOC: So what do I see?

It takes a mere moment for Dr. Roscoe to be up on his feet in an action so quick that the unobservant might just miss it. He gives the broken window a wary look for a few scant moments, finally stating "...Somebody else might want to investigate that." This said, he rushes over towards the downed figure, quickly plunking his medical bag down on a nearby chair, flicking it open with a deft flick of the wrist before he begins to survey the man, readying himself to do everything that two cultures worth of medical knowledge has trained him to do; which will be, hopefully, enough.

Hva i helvete...? That sound came from the next block! Muttering under his breath, he runs swiftly down the street looking for whatever caused the sound.

OOC: So what do I see?

As Harald turns the corner, he spots the building he has been looking for.  The large front window is shattered, looking for all the world as if a large object had been thrown through it. Quickly scanning the area he also notices a shadowy figure gaining entry to the chapter house through an open third floor window......

...readying himself to do everything that two cultures worth of medical knowledge has trained him to do; which will be, hopefully, enough.

Roscoe carefully turns the body to check for vital signs.  It is ans Asian male (Japanese, if Roscoe is not mistaken) somewhere in his late twenties or early thirties.  He is wearing a ragged silk robe, under which is a simple black suit made of a heavy cloth.  On examination, this second suit seems to have steel plates sewn in to it to protect vital points of the body.  The man has been badly beaten and is unconscious, but should live.

A gasp escapes from Lady Sarah  "Sato!"

Vaughn gets up from his chair, taking his old service revolver from his jacket and crosses the room towards the door "The man always did know how to make an entrance." He looks to Lady Sarah "Stay here. I'll check outside.."

Crash. Crash....CRASH.....BOOOMMMMM!

These noises come from the downstairs kitchen. The final 'boom' sounds a little like someone firing a shotgun......

Archived