Trinity Universe: The game's afoot!

Heritage

Borris goes to the parlor phone and dials it. Every one can hear the one side of the conversation. Hey Jimbo, is Borris would you be so good at to go over to Chinatown and pick up Mr. Chen..  O' yea before ya go the chapter house is running low on steak.  bring a side of beef before Bernard eats it all.

Borris then goes into the library to see how Jiro is doing.

(In Chinese)Madam Jiro is every thing ok? Aparantly the maid's taste is not as refined as your's.  Don't worry I've already sent for the best taylor in the mid-west.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jiro's head jerks up from the magazine when she hears the Chinese. Her face plainly shows that she's shocked and confused by it. Her mouth opens and closes several times as her thoughts race.

(In accentless Chinese) You speak Mandarian? How did you know that I would?

She almost looks near panic by the time she finishes speaking.

OOC: Jiro looks white, speaks english perfectly, and is wearing western (albeit men's) clothing.

Well first off there is the name my dear.  While some parents in the east have been known to give their children anglo names, parents of the west usualy only give Oriental names if they have a cultural conection to that tradition.  That lead me to believe that one of your parents were asian or you were raised in the east. Then the women's traditional garb in China is perceived by most westerners as masculine.  The maid was yelling that that was a man's suit, leading to the assumption that you might have a back round connected to China.  (leaning closer,wispering) That plus the fact that Chinese is the only Oriental language that I speak so I took a chance. (standing bak up) Outside of the united states there is a greater chance that an individual is multi-lingual, because many Americans are xenophobic.  So even if you were not Chinese there was agood chance that you still spoke it, since that culture has had such a stong inflance on all of the Orient.

:D OOC: I hope that's Sherlockian enouph.

OOC - Way to BS, man!  :D

IC - Bethany returns from her room, wearing one of the new outfits that Borris paid for after her somewhat awkward first encounter with Bernard; it's black, somewhat daring but not too vampish, and clearly not cheap.

Did I hear someone speaking Mandarin? I never get a chance to practice anymore.

(in equally accentless Mandarin) What do you think of my dress, Mister Masterson? I hope you approve, since you paid for it.

OOC - Seems like everyone speaks frickin' Chinese, don't it?

OOC: painheart :thumbs-up I like!

Jiro stares wide-eyed at Borris for a moment before she somewhat recovers her composuer.

Oh, I see. Well, thank you for the thought. I suppose one could say that I was raised in the East, but it was not in China.

Jiro looks slightly uncomfortable, in fact she looks like she said too much and is chastising herself for it. - When Bethany enters the room and begins speaking Mandarain, Jiro looks so surprised that an observer might expect her to faint.

(In Chinese) Your dress is beautiful ma'am.

Jiro nervously shuffles her feet and glances around the room uncomfortably.

Seeing that something about the conversation is making Jiro uncomfortable Borris switches to english and changes the subject.Very dashing Bethany.  We are expecting one of the finest taylors in the whole mid-west region to make an custom outfit for Rueben, Jiro, and myself. Bernard gives a rather indignate wimper. Oh I'm sorry. Bernard is getting an out fit as well. They should be here soon.

OOC - Sorry for another long absence - I'm competing with two other family members for online time, seeing as they're both addicted to Dark Age of Camelot.

Painheart - I'm assuming that Borris was overriding the earlier flap over Jiro's outfit, as that's how I read your post. As I recall, women wearing men's clothes was actually done a bit in the Twenties and Thirties, so this is the first decade where this might have been only mildly scandalous.

IC - The outfits that Borris ordered arrive; after a little adjusting by the tailors, they fit wonderfully. Jiro is presented with the original men's suit she requested, and she cuts quite a striking figure in it. Anyone else who was planning to attend the performance looks equally grand.

Bethany examines Jiro's suit with approval.

I must say, the suit works for you, my dear; you look magnificent! A car will be arriving for all of us shortly.

At this point any one is not is the process of getting dressed (ie. making their our arangment of atire) is set apon by Mr. Chen, and draged of kicking and screaming if need be to be fitted for custom tuxedos.  He is the bes and the fastest taylor ever.  So any special reqests such as cut or style can be filled.  Every one enjoys a lauph as Bernad comes out in his very oun tuxedo.  The lauphing subsides as Borris demonstrates that the outfit actualy conceales a two small pistols.  Just keep this in mind just in case it comes down to a gun fight, and any one needs a fire arm. Miss Jiro you'll also find a hiden compartment in the lining on both sides of your jacket sutable for your wepon of choice.  Oh and Mr. Chen do make sure that Mr. Reuban's outfit provides for full rang of motion. I don't want his physical proise hinden by what he'a wearing.  

Jimbo, who is a masive man hands Borris a walking stick that is polished black wood who's top six inches is brass.  Borris inspects it.  He looks up and gives it to the person (player character) stading closest to him. Here see it you can open it.

Anthony joins the rest of the party down in the foyer.  He has been busy for the most part of the day, tending to Enkidu and conversing with his mentor, Dr. Berger.

"I am glad that I arrived in time.  It has been a few months since I last had the pleasure of a visit to the theatre."

He is dressed in a smart suit designed and made in Italy.

Borris strokes his beard thougthfuly for a moment. Now that i'm thinking of it I can't rightly say for sure Miss Jiro.  I'd have to say that i sort of just picked it up during my business dealing.  Trying to hagle a fair bid on a lot of Lytakia, (that's a kind of tabacco grown in Asia) is rather hard when your speaking though an interpriter. So i just learned it myself.

IC- There is a toot of a horn from out front. Bethany signals to the others.

There's the car; come, let us head outside into the cold and damp! And if you insist, Borris, you can show us your wonderful cane in the car.

OOC- We've had quite a bit of drop-off character-wise, and I partially blame myself for being so scarce for so long. People are of course welcome to come back, but for now I'm going to assume that the only folks attending Berastro's show will be Borris (and Bernard, of course!) ), Anthony, Jiro and Bethany, unless I hear from someone else in the next few posts. If no one else has something major to add, we'll cut to the theater, and try to get this story back on track.

Well it looks like we're not going to beable to fill up the first row, but I wonder if our magician would find that even more unnearving. Bernard struts out of the car, trying his best to do a canine version of a swager leading the way to the front doors of the theater.

On most days I would say that it is a grand place, but today we are here to make a charlitain nervious enough so that he tips his hand.  Promise me that you will allow me to bring you to proper theater after Enkidu is avenged.

If Heritage is okay with this post and Calvin, I'd like to join up in this game.

Enter Calvin J. Taylor, Inventor Extraordinaire! (I'm not mad, just a little upset.  :P )

----------

Just inside the theater's lobby, two men can be seen, talking animatedly, with slighlty raised voices, a third, much larger man stands menacingly near them. All seem a little agitated.

All I'm saying is that your stage equipment is behind the times. Your prroductions could run so much more smoothly if you'd only let me...

We've been over this before, Mr. Taylor. This equipment has served us very well for the past twenty years, and will likely continue doing the same for twenty more. I'm sure your expertise would benefit us greatly, but we're not looking at making any changes right now. If we need servicing in the near future, we shall keep you in mind.

Now, if that concludes the matter, shall I have John show you to your seat?

Thank you, but I'll manage on my own.

A little dejectedly Calvin wanders around the lobby, picking up a progam, and making small talk with a small group of people.

Heh. I forgot to give a description. :blush

Cal's somewhat skinny, due to often forgettign to eat, an appearance that's only exaggerated by his height; a sizeable 6' 2." He has sandy blonde hair and a medium complexion from mixed German and Spanish blood. Though he doesn't stand out in a crowd, and he could be considered plain, his fashions usually touch on the modern. His clothing tones are typically earth tones, as was fashion at the time. Oddly, he has a small leather case that he carries around with him almost always. (For you hecklers in the audience, it's not a purse.)

He rarely slouches and his deameanor is open and approachable. He's often friendly to the point of excess, though he means well. Beneath all of that, is a lightning-quick mind and an intense drive to help people. Not everything's sunshine and roses, though, and when his anger finally rises people would do wel to scatter.

Howzat?  :)

-Joseph

OOC 1:Would any of us recognize Calvin as a member of the Society?

OOC 2: Who Exactly came to the theater? I know it's me, Jiro, Anthony, bethany and I think Johnny.

Ah an expert in theatrical technology he may be usesful in this investigation.

Jiro perks up visibly turns all smiles and runs at Calvin, yelling in excitement. She gives Calvin a bear hug, anyone nearby can probably hear several of Calvin's veterbrae pop, and see his face go red with the force.

Calvin?!? Calvin, it's you! Where were you? Do you have any idea what happened to everybody else? I think I'm the only one who made it bac...

Jiro looks around and seeing people staring starts to speak in a slightly loud whisper. Those within five feet or with exceptional hearing can still hear what she says.

What happened? Where did you send us, why didn't you come with us? I don't think Cliff and Ethan made it, they were talking about going to war and I heard a lot of fighting going on when I left. I found Foxx but he was drunk and couldn't move so I left him where the rift opened in Nevada. The people there said they'd take care of him. They told me to find Aeon in Chicago. Wait, don't you live in New York?

After the literal flood of questions Jiro watches Calvin expectantly, waiting for answers. She seems happy enough, almost like a puppy.

Seeing that the technoligist's services are more or less secured. Borris moves over to the theater manager heartily shacking the man's hand.  When he pull his hand back he finds a wad of bills in his palm.  Some more of our companions may be joining us so, if you would be so kind as to hold these at the box office for them and usured the to the front row should the arive late.   Borristhen gives the manger a portions of the the tickest that are not spocken for.

ooc: ;)  just in case anyone still wants to come in from the chapter house.

Calvin, at first caught by surprise, then trying to catch his breath is momentarily at a lack of words. Finally, as the redness in his face clears, he begins formulating his answers while trying to make sense of what is going on.

Jiro! It is a pleasant surpirse to find you here, as well! To answer your questions in approximate reverse chronological order, I am currently staying with a colleague, as I am teaching him some of the fundamentals of the world of mechanics. I should be staying for another few weeks at least.

Now, let's see... Thomas Foxx drunk. Yes, I can picture it. In fact, I don't think I can picture him otherwise. Cliff and, Ethan you said?, going to war. Yes, things are the same there, though I can't say I recall the fella. Cliff really seems to bring the action with him.

What happened, you ask. Hm. If my calculations were correct, when the lightning hit, a bit prematurely I might add, the energy that was transferred to the Chrysler building caused the group of us to scatter across the ether. I ended up exactly where I was before I met you cats; in a... laboratory. Oddly, I ended up exaclty when I had left, too.

I was a bit concerned where that left you kids, but I figured that you'd make out ducky.

Cal takes stock of the goings-on around him. Shoots some "mind your potatoes" looks at a few people, then takes a gander at Jiro again.

Had a fight with your tailor again? ::He chuckles:: Are you here by yourself? I wouldn't normally think something like this would be your kind of gig.

He looks at Jiro almost in a big-brother kind of way, smiling.

I'm sorry, I've been rude. Calvin meet Borris, Anthony, Bethany, Johnny, and Bernard. They're all members of the Aeon Society. I met them at the chapter house.

Jiro leans in closer and this time in a very quiet whisper:

Someone shot Enkidu last night and we think it was this magician fella. We caught him trying to run away but we don't have any proof. We're hoping that us being here will scare him enough into slipping up tonight. Want to help us?

Cal nods in the group's direction, shaking hands breifly if hands are thrust in his direction. Speaking warmly:

Any friend of Jiro is a friend of mine.

Now, more serious.

Of couse I'll help. Can't let justice go unserved. Just let me know what needs to be taken care of.

How's the baby grand doing? Is he okay?

OOC - Wowsers! Again I apologize for disappearing, but I'm so glad to see so much activity has been going on in my absence. Welcome Joseph and your scion, Calvin! Good intro, too.

IC - Bethany smiles at Jiro's emotional outburst, happy to see her reunited with a friend. She gracefully shakes Calvin's hand.

Hello, Calvin, it's a pleasure. Bethany Morgan, journalist and fashion consultant, at your service.

Upon hearing Calvin's use of technical terms, Johnny's face lights up like a hundred watt bulb. He crushes Calvin's hand and pumps it furiously.

Hey, great to meet another gearhead! Johnny Atomo's the name, engines my game! Say, you're a limey, aren't you? " 'Allo, guvnah" and all that! You boys really pitched in during the war - nice to see we all moved past that whole Revolution thing!

OOc - Joseph, in case you haven't read all the postings, Bethany is a beautiful brunette journalist with an aura of mystery, and Johnny's a human exclamation point, a blonde physical specimen with a great head for engineering but not much else.

Okay, that gives me an idea of Bethany and Johnny. Thank you for the welcome. I'll help out where I can. Need that toaster fixed?  :devil Cal's got Engineering Mastery, and an Intel of 5. Calvin's character sheet.

I'm trying to use some of the lingo here. I hope that doesn't confuse too many people.

Bethany, the pleasure is mine.

He turns to Johnny's greeting.

A limey, no. ::laughs:: I know a great drunken Brit, though. He's wonderful as a test group.

We should meet someday and flap gums. I'm sure we could inspire each other into new hieghts of technology. Electricity is my passion.

Looks to Jiro.

Glad he's bee's knees. If the fella you're looking for is the caper, I'll definately help you get him.

You guys hadn't planned anything before getting here? Hm.

Cal takes a quick look around.

I think we should take this somewhere less public. We don't want a crasher giving up our goods to our friend.

Cal takes a peek at his watch, adjusting some dials, then finally flipping a tiny lever before closing the gizmo.

Well, that's that, I guess. Watch's broken. How long 'till the show starts? We can slip away for a minute and put a plan together.

I should expect that we should go to the VIP lounge, it's normaly reserved for those that have purchased a front row ticket. Seeing as I bought the entire front row we should have the place to ourselves.

After a few sniffs Bernard decides Calvin is alright, and he nuzzels Calvin's hand trying to get the Cal to pet him.

OOC: Bernard is a very large Mastaf, who is wearing a taylor made tux.

Archived