Trinity Universe: The game's afoot!

Heritage

Lawrence steps forward at that point and waits for the detective to question or dismiss him, a bit nervous and trying not to show it as he's used to his appearance getting him far from fair treatment by the police.

Besides, he's not much for judging people's innocence or guilt...not more than the investigators anyway. He just doesn't want this guy to get away.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the awkward silence that seems to follow Rueben's question Jiro shuffles her feet a few times and then moves over to whisper into his ear.

Someone shot Enkidu, we think it was that guy on the floor. Enkidu is fine, he's asleep. The police don't have the first clue about what's going on. Everyone's trying their best, though.

Jiro steps back far enough to see Rueben's reaction, she looks slightly worried.

OOC- Sorry I've been away so long - my new job at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater (Yay! ) ate up a lot of time this week, so I've haven't been online since Monday morning.

admin - I just *knew* you were going to write that!

To be honest, I sort of wrote myself into a corner here - I don't know diddly about proper police procedure, especially in the 1920's, and I don't want to waste everybody's time with a lot of bad pseudo-legalese, so I'm going to cheat a little. Again, sorry to steamroll over possible PC actions.

IC - After getting everyone's statements, Detective Ericsson asks Berastro to submit to a search, and as the magician said, no weapon was found on his person. A thorugh search of all the guests also turned up nothing, but did lead to a lot of rather scathing remarks about the boorishness of the police.

Surprisingly, a rather subdued Berastro declined to press charges of assault against Borris, citing a simple case of mistaken identity - however, his eyes seemed to indicate that there was unfinished business between them.

One of the servants provided Ericsson with a copy of a list of confirmed attendees; another copy was given to Borris per his earlier request. The guests were then allowed to go, leaving only those persons involved in the investigation and Berastro behind at the chapterhouse. Ericsson eyed the list thoughtfully.

Mr. Berastro, I see that your name is not on this list, so I am inclined to think that you crashed this little soiree. That being the case, I'd like you to come with us to the precinct to answer a few questions.

He then turned to the others in the room.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your cooperation - the police will take care of this matter. If you need to reach me, here's my card. Good evening.

And then Ericsson and the two officers lead Berastro out.

Bethany shook her head in disbelief.

That's it? That's their investigation? If it hadn't been 'just' a gorilla, they would have torn this place apart!

"Yes, but Mister Enkidu probably enjoys his privacy; I do not believe that he would appreciate having undue attention brought to him, particularly when we will recover very quickly.  I suppose though that it will soon be time for us to retire for the evening.  Perhaps I will go and check on my patient before then."

OOC - Bedtime?  It must be very late now!

OOC: there were police procedures in the twenties?  :)  i am fairly familar with procedure and for the time period and situation, you got it right on... now, back to game...

During the investigation Jiro slinks around looking unhappy but cooperates with everyone. It turns out her name wasn't on the list either but she explains that she was here a year ago and spent a lot of time in the library. She was intending to go back there, but only the lecture halls lights were on.

OOC - Bedtime?  It must be very late now!

OOC- By the time the police leave, it is fairly late, probably a little after ten. Remember, the cops did question and search a lot of people, and the shooting took place around 6pm.  

IC- Bethany, still visibly upset about the whole affair, lights up a cigarette and drops into a small couch in the foyer.

What a dreadful evening! At least poor Enkidu is alright.

She sits quietly for a moment, then suddenly brightens. She pulls a deck of cards out of her purse and tantalizingly waves it.

Is anyone up for a friendly game of cards? The night is still young, after all, and there are plenty of available rooms for an overnight stay. Any takers?

OOC - Oh, thought it was later...    :Blush

Anthony, also looking tired from the evening's events, collapses in the seat opposite Bethany.

"Well, I suppose that a couple of games would be relaxing after the day's hectic events.  Ok then, what do you want to play Beth?"

Borris convinced that Berastro has much more to loose by pressing charges that just simple benevolance on his part decides that that matter if far from settled.  He moves to the closest phone and dials a number. (calling one of his Fallowers) Ah yes, Jimbo it's me I'm sorry about the late hour but I need you to do something for me.  There is a magician, well more of a charlitain realy I need to investigaite him. His name is Berastro Goes by the stage name the Amazing Berastro, but Berastro may not even be his real name.  Find out what kind of conections he may have to the congo.  Secure some tickets for his next proformance...  As a mater of fact buy out the whole front row I'm going to be bringing some friends along.

IC- Bethany spreads the deck on the table and begins expertly flipping the cards back and forth, her hands like dancers. A serene smile plays across her face.

Name your game, gentlemen, and I shall play it; I myself prefer blackjack and poker. We'd need a fourth for bridge, but then again it's not my favorite. What do you say, good sirs?

OOC- Sorry about another long absence - I stayed at a friend's place over the weekend, and his PC was on the blink.

IC- Bethany cuts the deck a few times, then starts to deal.

Blackjack it is, then. Are we playing for money or just to pleasantly pass the time?

OOC- Hmm, has anyone ever done this online? I could see this as a contest of either Wits or Manipulation, or possibly both. If anyone feels like using a knack (for shame! ), let me know.

OOC - Yeah, lets finish for the night.  Oh, and I botched!

Anthony loses two games hands down.  "My, I must be more tired than I imagined at first.  Please excuse me.  I think I will go check in on my patient, before going to bed.  Good evening!"

He picks up his coat, checks in on Enkidu, and then heads off to bed for the night, the events of the day still swirling around in his head - trying to piece together some of the events that had happened.

Borris should spot Anthony in the lab as he enters.  Anthony has arisen early in order to check in on his patients.  

"Godd morning!  I am glad to say that your dog is fine, and will probably be able to have a short walk with you in the corridors this morning.  But make sure that you keep him wrapped up and warm and feed him well."

Jiro heads downstairs yawning and stretching and heads directly for the kitchen. After eating she makes her way up stairs and sticks her head in to Enkidu's room. Seeing Anthony, she addresses him.

How's he doing, Doc? Any Better?

Jiro looks geniunely concerned about Enkidu's well being.

OOC- Yes, Bernard is up and aboot.

IC - Johnny Atomo pads in to check on the other patients; bundled up in several robes and wearing slippers, he hardly looks like a man of action.

Morning, all! Glad to see that everyone's okay.

He kneels down next to Enkidu's bed, where the great ape is blearily awake. Johnny gently punches him across the jaw.

How're doing there, Enk? Ready to track down those goons that dropped you?

Enkidu smiles weakly - he reaches over to his Visograph and gingerly types in a reply on the small screen.

Thank you for stopping by Johnny. Everyone has been so nice. I will be well soon. But now I need my rest. Doctor Anthony says so. Bethany visited me. She said a magician did this to me. I do not understand.

Johnny nods and strokes Enkidu's head; his eyes are moist with concern for his friend.

We're all a bit flumoxed, big fella, but we'll sort it out. Don't you worry.

Bernard's ear pick up the moment he hears any mention of food.

Ok, ok we'll get ya' some fixin in a sec boy. Knowing that bernard won't want to too long Borris make a qwick call to the kitchen to make sure that they are getting started on cooking the bigest steak they can get a hold of.

"Well I am glad that we all made it through to today at least though.  And Enkidu, I can probably discharge you tomorrow morning.  I would rather keep an eye on you, if that is OK with you?"

Anthony looks physically tired.  He has made a few calls on his patients during the night, his nature being to offer help to all his patients as often as possible.

OOC - That is the 3000th post for the forum guys!  Yay us!  :D

Borris aproches Enkidu and touches his masive hand. I'm glad to see that you are going to make a complete recovery. I'm Borris Masterson, don't worry we are hot on the trail of your assailant.  But for now rest, I have a gift for you when the doc says you're up to it.

A servant steps into the room, holding out a silver plater with an envelope.

Mister Masterson, this arrived for you - I believe it's from a Mister Jimbo, sir.

Also Bethany pops her head in.

Has anyone seen Reuben? I understand some of you went on a little quest yesterday, and I wanted to tag along if you were going out again.

Ah wonderful, The Tickets have arrived.  I have taken the liberty of puchasing the entire first row of our magician's next proformance.  Any member of the society is invited to join me perhaps we can find out a how much of a charlitain this man is, or at least be there when he makes his next mistake.

OOC - Right then, we're going to fast-forward a bit. Anyone who wants to come to breakfast can do so by just saying "Mmm, that was tasty!" or the like. If yer broke, either Johnny or Bethany can cover you, seeing as they're both loaded.

IC - The dining room at the Auditorium Hotel; the breakfast dishes have been cleared away, and steaming pots of tea and coffee await on a nearby cart.

Bethany takes a dainty bite out of a pastry, signals to a waiter and points at a silver platter on the floor.

Can we have another sausage for are canine friend? I think Bernard has finished his third.

She then turns to Borris.

Do you think we have time to continue the search for Reuben's point of origin this afternoon, or should we focus on preparations for seeing Berastro's show this evening? For instance, do you have anything to wear?

That's a great idea. Although we should try and find an alternative route onto that island.  I fear that the holliagans that attacked reban have probable moved on by now but we should be able to find some clue as to where he came from.  On the way back we'll take a trip to the taylor for Reuben's benifit.  (turning to Reuben) Unless you would like to replenish your wardrobe now. I sure that you're getting tired of wearing those old torn up things.

OOC - I'm starting to think this story is dying, or at the very least folks have lost interest in it. Since no one but myself and Painheart have posted in awhile, I'm going to make one last attempt to push the story forward. If everyone's just been very busy and meant to post but wasn't able to, or you were waiting for things to pick back up, excuse my melodrama. :blush

I'm going to put Reuben's story on the backburner for now (unless CHILL chimes in :)  ), and focus on the plan to attend the theater and see Berastro's show. I'm going to try and use vague enough language that people can still duck under the 'plot umbrella' as it were, without being left out. Again, if someone is miffed or thinks I'm acting rude or rash, I apologize.

IC -  With breakfast and coffee over, the group decided to head back to the chapterhouse. Bethany went to her room and fetched a pile of fashion magazines, which she artfully arrayed on a table in the main reading room.

If someone sees something they like, tell Dorothy, my maid - she can probably get you measured and fitted into anything in one of those before 5 o'clock. If money's an issue, you can bill me; sometimes I feel as if I'm carrying the weight of all the boutiques in Chicago on my back. I'll be in my room if anyone needs me.

And with that, she swished off. Johnny took a seat and started thumbing through one of the magazine's like it was a parts catalogue.

Must be something here that will fit my well-muscled frame!

OOC - So this is just to get people ready for the show at 7pm. We can cut to the theater and just assume that everyone's been properly gussied up, and all the men look dashing, and all the women radient. If anyone wants to do something special beforehand, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Jiro's going to look through one of the magazines, pick an outfit she likes and then get into a terrible row with the maid over the fact that she chose a gentleman's suit. After quite a fight, and probably some character intervention Jiro agrees to wear a dress and goes off into the library to pout.

Archived