Trinity Universe: The game's afoot!

Heritage

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthony is horrified when he learns that Enkidu has been shot.  He approaches Bethany.  "Excuse me Madam, I am a vet, and was wondering if I could be of any assistance in ensuring that Mister Enkidu recovers?"

OOC - I am sending you my character later today Heritage.

The stammering servant follows del Fuego, twisting his coat in his hands.

That's the trouble, sir - I don't know WHO'S in charge, sir. They're all barricaded in the reading room, sir, but folks have been slipping in, I've noticed. A horrible shooting, blood everywhere... It's just terrible, sir!

Bethany notices Anthony and angrily hisses.

How do you people keep getting in? So much for an airtight crime scene. Nevermind - Dr. Berger is upstairs in the medical suite, and I'm sure he can use your help.

She turns to Lawrence and raises an eyebrow, then flashes an evil grin. She abruptly begins speaking in a voice just above a stage whisper.

And I tell you I know who the bastard is! Isn't it obvious? Motive, opportunity, it's all there. We just can't let him know that we're onto him!

The stammering servant follows del Fuego, twisting his coat in his hands.

That's the trouble, sir - I don't know WHO'S in charge, sir. They're all barricaded in the reading room, sir, but folks have been slipping in, I've noticed. A horrible shooting, blood everywhere... It's just terrible, sir!

Indeed? Shooting? Blood? Just what kind of place is Mr. Mercer running here, good man? Which way to this reading room? I daresay we'll go have a look.  Do you have a revolver? You should best arm yourself, in case there's trouble.

Anthony rushes upstairs to Dr Berger's medical suite.  He pauses to wash his hands and slip on a white medical coat.

"Good evening, Dr Berger.  What state is Mr Enkidu in?  I do not suppose I could help?" he says as he walks up to the side of the operating table that Enkidu has been laid upon, trying to analyse how bad the injury from the gunshot has been.

After a second, he lays his hands on Enkidu and seems to concentrate for a minute.  "Oh, not nearly as bad as it seems.  It missed all the major organs and Mr Enkidu's physiology simply reacted to place him in a condition in which he was suited to heal.  We will have to keep an eye on him for the next couple of days, but I am sure that he will make a full recovery."  He smiles at his mentor, "But is seems that I will not have a chance to enjoy his address after all."  With that he helps to tend to the wound and checks Enkidu for any other injuries.

OOC - Check my sheet Bob.  I spend my inspiration point to activate Touch of Life and a willpower point for one free success.  I rolled 1,2,4,4,5,6,7,7,8,9,10.  Five success's baby!  Plus the free one, makes six!  Oh yeah!   :animsmiley

Lawrence smirks and shakes his head, looking at Bethany and whispering just loud enough to be over-heard in return.

"Wow...that's a pretty cock-sure of 'em, well you just give the word..." he says, voice growing louder as he speaks, "...And I'll pound the dirty rat now that we know which one t' get."

Dr. Berger's face brightens when Anthony finishes his 'inspection'.

Well done, my boy! I'm so glad you were able assist me, since these brutes are a bit out of my league. I was able to recover the bullet, though.

He indicates a bloody, distorted lead sphere lying in a pan on the cart.

Not fired from a rifle or revolver, as there are no rifling grooves cut into the lead. So, a smoothbore weapon of some kind. And considering I didn't hear the report from my study, and there are no traces of powder, I'd wager that bullet was fired from an air rifle.

Bethany must surpress a grin as they escalate the charade, her voice becoming increasingly shrill.

You can't just rip him limb from limb, no matter how much he deserves it! Let the police handle it, with their nightsticks and shotguns-

Suddenly there is a bright flash, and the room starts to fill with thick, choking smoke. Bethany shouts over the sudden commotion.

Watch the doors, watch the doors!

Oh No You Don't Ya Varmint!

Borris moves to intersept the would be killer. He brings down his can conecting with the back of the person's head. (4,4,6,8,5,3,) The blow sends the assassin flying, slamming him into the front door. (9,9,3,3,+enhanced impact) Twisting the handle of the cane Borris draws a sword blade, holding it up to the assassin's throat.

O.O.C. Heratage promised to give the discription of our villian soon.

Anthony is visibly pleased as Dr Berger compliments him.  His opinion means much to him.

"I dare say that it would take a rather powerful gun to drop our poor guest.  I can only surmise that our would-be assassin is Inspired.  I am sure our colleagues downstairs will have fun trying to fathom out who exactly he is."

Anthony helps Dr Berger stitch up the wound before pulling a cover over Enkidu's body and ensuring that he is in a comfortable position.

Just as the servant is about to open a side door into the reading room, the door slams open, and a figure in a dark coat leaps out, crashes into del Fuego, and staggers for the main entrance!

Madre de Dios!

*del Fuego, ensure as to whether or not this man is an Aeon Society member or some sort of scoundrel, hesitates.  After a moment, he lunges after the man, catching him by the shoulder.*

Are you alright man? Do you need a doctor?

OOC - Um, for clarification's sake, the guy who smashed into del Fuego is the same guy that Borris whacked with the cane, and right now he has a sword at his throat. Painheart and I did a bit of IM discussion, and if our resulting posts left it unclear, I apologize.

Manuel, you can still talk to him, but judging by the bloody stain on his head, yes, he needs a doctor; you also might want to talk to the man with the sword cane!

Lawrence smirks, pats Bethany on the shoulder, and takes off after the scoundrel. Over the commotion of people moving inside the room he doesn't catch the altercation outside the doors, but manages to move his way through the smoke and people...

Stumbling out onto the scene of a figure in black with a sword cane to his throat.

"Well, aren't those the breaks?"

Now, everyone... let's not do anything hasty. I'm sure we can discuss this like gentleman, whatever's going on.  Let's be civil, shall we? Put the sword away, please.  Really, this doesn't sound like the way the colleagues of the illustrious Mr. Mercer would behave, not at all.

(yelling over his sholder) Bethany Dear this may all be a diversion so please keep an eye out for any other varmints making a run for it.

Still keeping the blade in the area of the person's throat Borris gentaly applys pressure so that they have to tilt their head into the light or be cut.

(In a low treatening tone directed at the assaissin)  I assure you this blade is razor sharp so it would be best to give me your undivided attention.  Slowly let me see your hands.  Then be so kind as to tell me who your acomplace is.  

The assassin turns his face into the light - it's a brutal face, all the more so due to the blood trickling down his forehead. But this is no mere thug; there is a savage intelligence in his eyes, and despite all that's happened, a sense of triumph. He holds up his hands, and shows no visible sign of being frightened by the blade kissing his throat. When he speaks, his voice is low, oily and confidant.

And it's quite a lovely blade, too. But I must admit to being somewhat puzzled - accomplice in what?

Jiro makes her way downstairs and hearing the noise from the crowd, begins to run. Once she is down she surveys the scene, or as much as can be scene through the smoke and heads out to check the doors. She goes to the stage doors first, confident that no one could have undone the coat rack from the main door. She intends to make sure all the doors and windows are still shut and that if anyone got out, that they are brought back quickly (not necessarily gently).

(Just for claification, did the group go out through the main door?)

And it's quite a lovely blade, too. But I must admit to being somewhat puzzled - accomplice in what?

What indeed? I take it you gentleman think this man has committed some kind of crime? Well then, I suggest we call the constable. Unless it's of a..sensitive nature.  In which case.. doorman, would you be so kind as to bar the door? Let's move this into a secure room.

Oh, forgive me for not introducing myself.  I'm Raoul del Fuego, a friend of Mr. Mercer.

Once Ankidu is properly attended to, Anthony washes his hands again, and removes his doctor's apron.  "I imagine that Mr Enkidu will sleep for a while now that you have given him that sedative.  I think I will go downstairs to see how events are proceeding there?  Do you wish to join me?"

He puts his jacket back on and heads  off towards the lift back down to the ground floor.  He grumbles to himself, "And to think I have not even sat for dinner yet."

Berger stands contemplating the bullet for a few moments before he reacts to Anthony's question. When he answers, his eyes never leave the bloody lead lump.

Yes, I shall join you in a moment - there are one or two quick tests I'd like to try first. Off with you, then.

OOC - harlequin - People kept popping in to talk to Bethany, so I had to assume that there was a side door that was unlocked, but let's assume that it was behind a pillar, so that it wasn't readily seen from inside the reading room. Jiro is fairly confident that no from the room made it out, except for the fellow who just lept thru it and got conked by Borris and his big ol' stick. This is also the same door that the PCs used to leave the room. The current action is taking place inside the main foyer, just inside the front door of the chapterhouse.

IC - Bethany slips out the side door and trots over to where Borris has the mysterious stranger pinned to the floor.

Well, well, well - isn't this an interesting little scene! Who have we apprehended? And can I put my name on the 'let's kick him in the head' list?

Bethany nods.

So it seems, but he doesn't appear to be very concerned about his current predicament.

Just then, there is a knock upon the door. A servant opens the door.

May I help you?

A gruff voice responds.

Detective Ericsson, Chicago Police. Mind if I come in?

The door opens, and a rather imposing man enters, followed by two uniformed officers. Detective Ericsson is solidly built, with a face like a sack of cement - his heavy coat is lightly dusted with snow. He quickly surveys the scene, and is somewhat taken aback by the sight of Borris holding his sword to the bleeding man's throat.

We, uh...had a report of an altercation at this address. Something about shooting a monkey?

Borris seeing that proper authorites have arived draws back the blade from the assialaint's throat.  Balanceing the blade so that the hils rest's in his open hand with the haldel pionted in the detective's direction.  his eye's show an inplyed permision the detective to take the blade from Borris if he felt that it was a treat to his safety.

Sir, I assure you that the victum of the crime is much more than a simple monkey.  For accuracy's sach I must coorect you that the injured party is a very remarkable and rare gorilla.  Who I might add is in the county legaly and who's presence in our mist is register with the united state government as far I understand.  This PERSON on the floor is the most likely culpret for the mischef that has transpired this night.  This is an unusual case af attemted murder, but I trust is you bear with us that a clear picture will emerg.

Borris rases his eyebrow brow while raisind the balanced blade in his flat palm.

With your permision may I put my blade away detective Ericsson? You must be feeling a might bit aprehinsive right bout now I don't want my blade causn' ya any undue distress.  I myself would feel better if this PERSON was in some sort of restraint, sir. Borris' tone when refering to the asalant laying on the floor as a "PERSON"  implies that Borris feels that the thing on the floor has given up any calm he might have once had on humanity.

IC - One of the beat cops stands watching the scene and scratching his head. He glances at the man on the floor when Borris refers to him, then does an almost comedically exaggerated double take.

Holy cats, dat's the Amazing Berastro!

The man nods and smiles, making a little flourish with his hand. The star-struck cop continues, shaking his head in disbelief.

I gotta tell ya, you're some kinda wizard, Mr. Berastro! I took my Helen ta see your show last week, and wow! dat was some kinda crazy performance you put on! Hey, how'dya do alla them tricks, anyhow? Oh, I know, ya can't tell - trade secret, right? Boy, wait'll Helen here's about dis - meetin' the Amazing Berastro on my beat!

Detective Ericcson seems rather irritated by the officer's outburst.

Alright, put a sock in it, Kelly; get an autograph on your own time. Mr. Berastro, how do you answer to these charges?

Berastro smiles and holds up his hands.

Why, I'm innocent, of course! I bear no weapons - feel free to search me, detective. I was trapped in that room after the incident with everyone else. Then there was an explosion, and I panicked - I fought in the war, you know, and I find sudden, loud noises particularly distressing. I ran out here, and then without warning was clubbed from behind by this man. I've no idea why they think I was the guilty party.

Bethany, who showed a very slight reaction to Jiro's muttered comment, slowly shakes her head and makes her own quiet statement while looking at Berastro with something close to admiration.

Clever. Very clever.

Seein that the detective has made no movement to take the blade Borris sheathes the wepon back in the cane.

Don't try and fein ignorance of the situation, only a fool would belive that you didn't know what was going on.  Everyone was being detained until the authories arrived, but that wasn't good enouph for you so you made a break for it. That alone would label you as someone that had something to hide.

Hearing the magician's name just before being out of ear shot, Jiro turns and heads back intot he room. And directs her attention to the man on the floor.

You're a magician? Magician's make smoke bombs all the time, trick a crowd, get money, that sort of thing. So if you work with that stuff, why would it scare you? 'Sides, it wasn't that loud anyways.

Jiro sounds proud of herself, the type of pride a child gets when they figure out their first riddle.

Detective Ericsson rubs his jaw, eyes flicking from face to face, trying to sort everything out.

Kelly, McNeil, go into that ballroom or whatever and start checking on the situation in there.

The two beat cops move into the reading room through the side door. Ericsson continues rubbing his jaw; at length he speaks.

So what's the status on this gorilla? Is it dead, dying or what? Does it need to be taken to some kinda animal hospital?

Bethany points upstairs.

Right now, he's being looked after by a vetrinarian, who happens to be a Society member. He was in very serious condition when I saw him last -

She notices Anthony coming out of the elevator.

Actually, I believe that's the vet right now - doctor, how's the patient?

Anthony comes out of the lift and hears Bethany speaking to the officers.  He approachs them and says:

"Why, I am sure that the chap will be OK.  His body automatically put him into that state to aid his recuperation.  I assure you that it would take much more than an air rifle to keep him down.  He is resting just now, but should be back on his feet in the next couple of days.  I will keep an eye on him to make sure that he recovers entirely."

Ericsson nodded.

Okay, so we can rule out monkeycide or whatever you'd call it. Someone said something about an air rifle - I dunno much about that legalwise, but I think discharging a weapon of any kind in a public place will get you some time. Does anybody own this monkey? You say he's special and all that - how much is he worth?

The detective sighs and rubs his face.

This one's gonna look great in a report. Okay, I wanna talk to everyone in this room, and that includes you, Berastro - you, too, D' Artangian.

OOC: Bloody hell Heritage - Im away for a week and you drum up 4 pages of posts!  I'll just get back on that plane then.... ;)

Drop me back in when you feel like its appropriate - I'm gonna be spending a few days playing catch up on the site as it is  :animsmiley

OOC- Welcome back, dude! How was Spain?

As far as I'm concerned, you can come back in whenever you want - in game time, only a few minutes have passed, so you could just wander in and say, "Good lord, what's going on?"

Archived