Trinity Universe: The game's afoot!

Heritage

Lawrence starts at the shot-like sound and the gorilla's collapse, hopping up onto his chair with practiced swiftness and scattering the crumbs in his lap all over those sitting in front of him.

Looking back and forward the young man realizes that whoever it was that fired the shot, if it really was a gunshot will probably try and run. His eyes flit to the sides of the speaker's podium as well as the doors.

Even with the press of the audience in the small room he could likely make it through these high-scoiety types easier than any crowd of drunks angry for lost money...but where to go?

And was anyone tending to the fallen speaker?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IC- At the sight of Enkidu's collapse, a horrified Bethany is frozen for but a moment - however, she quickly recovers and leaps clear of her seat, spinning gracefully in midair to land facing the reading room's entrance.

Lock the doors! Don't let the assassin get out!

She then charges up the aisle, nimbly dodging the panicked guests, does an impressive forward flip and lands on the stage. Hers eyes dart about the gaping hole in the boards.

The stage pulls apart - we need strong men, quickly!

Looking back and forward the young man realizes that whoever it was that fired the shot, if it really was a gunshot will probably try and run. His eyes flit to the sides of the speaker's podium as well as the doors.

There is a great deal of commotion in the crowd, most of them surging towards the door. Bethany's order that the doors be closed has been followed by several of the sevants, but the throng is trying to press its way out of the room.

OOC- If Lawrence has training in these areas, or enhanced senses of some kind, let me know in an email or personal message; otherwise it will be very difficult to spot any suspicious characters or behaviour. The same goes for any other PCs in the room. Umoja, did Tariq make it inside?

When the woman stands and yells Lawrence notices that the already panicking crowd seems to begin a rush for the doors, as if reminded they might want to leave.

"The hobos on the train acted more civil during a fire than these people,"he mutters as he stands, torn between going to help keep the doors closed and pulling apart the stage. He's no doctor, but all of them seem to be dashing for the doors.

Damn. The shooter, if he was to escape the room, would have to do so without Lawrence at his heels."Comin' Ma'am!"he yells, dancing across the tops of chairs and vaulting over people's heads from the back of the room (OOC: He has the skills necessary) towards the front. He lands deftly beside the woman and begins to try and to help disassemble the stage.

OOC: He doesn't have "spotter" skills of any kind, no. -grins- I'll pass along his sheet and/or backstory if you're at all curious.

Reacting quickly to the sound Jiro spins and sprints the short distance to the main door at the back of the room. Seemingly becoming more impressive in size and much more aggresive in demeanor she shuts the door, grabs the metal coat rack nearby and deforms it around and through the handles to effectively "lock" the door. She turns and faces the paniced crowd. Eyes flashing dangerously and with a determined (joyful?) grin she shouts out in a voice too deep for her gender...

"Return to your seats ladies and gentleman, no one will leave unless they think they can get through me or we find the crook."

Seemingly satisfied that the crowd is properly cowed and that none of them will be able to undo her "handy work" Jiro dashes to see if there are anymore doors, and to makes sure not only that no one gets out, but that anyone who did is drug back in kicking and screaming if necessary.

OOC- I will gladly take any sheets or scraps of knowledge on any characters. I'm particuallry intrigued to find out what Jiro's deal is :D

IC- The lecture guests have all been contained, though there is a great deal of grumbling and wailing about it. Lawrence and several other sturdy fellows manage to pull apart the sections of the broken stage; the lights have all come up, and the crumpled form of the mighty giant is visible.

Bethany bends close, and examines Enkidu and the wound carefully.

He's alive, but barely, and bleeding a great deal. I know a little about medicine, but this is quite beyond my capabilities. Who knows where the bullets lodged?

She rips off the hem of her new dress, carefully presses it over the wound, then turns to look at the assembled men.

There's a small medical suite on the second floor - if we can get him to the freight elevator, we might have a chance to save him. But we must be careful not to let anyone else leave the room.

Lawrence barely notices what's going on at the doors as he helps move the pieces of the stage and examines the massive form beneath him...he looks at those around him.

There's no way they can carry the gorilla and make sure no one leaves the room, not with how much trouble they had with the stage. Looking around for help, he spots the large woman who seems to be helping out and intimidating anyone who tries to leave.

He calls out.

"Excuse me?!? Ma'am? We need help carrying the speaker here to the medical room, an' I'll have to make sure no one hops out as we're doing so...if you'll help carry 'im that is?"

OOC: Hehehe, how's that for character interaction?

Hunter group

Well looks like we have not choice than to cross that bridge.  Mr. Atomo do you have any guns stowed in your trunk by any chance?  I acn't get over the feeling that this is a some ort of trap.  I'd like to be prepared so some unpleasentness.  The fist order of business is to check the bridge for booby traps.

Hunters by the Bridge

Johnny steps out of the XR 1, trots around to the back and opens the trunk. He removes a carefully-wrapped bundle from inside.

I've got this -

He opens the bundle to reveal a well-oilled Winchester pump-action shotgun, which he procedes to load with 12 gauge shells from a yellowed cardboard box.

Your pooch have any experience sniffing out mines?

Hunter group

Old bernard here can sniff out anything.  But we still have to be carefull because the explosives might be of that suport pilon too far for bernard to smill the explosives, so we have to look out for trip wires.  I say that it would be wise to have a just a couple people scout out the bridge while every one waits in the car when we get the the other side then the rest come over. Unless Ya'll think it's better to just go over on foot and leave the car here?

Jiro's sheet and background for the st.. :) Hope it explains a bit... http://www.geocities.com/harlequinharlequi.../character.html

Jiro looks up and strides over to the stage. She nods at Lawerence, "If they give you any trouble just let me know."

Upon reaching the stage Jiro surveys Enkidu and looks almost daunted by his size. Pointing at several of the gathered men she says, "You there grab his shoulder, you get the other one, I'll take the rest."

Very gently Jiro slides her way underneath Eniku's hulking form and motions the others to lift. She strains visibly under the weight and after a false start and with the help of the others manages to lift the wounded giant.

(Heritage if you think Jiro couldn't do it, feel free to have her trip or drop Enkidu, be fiendish if the mood takes you :b, also, if you have more questions i'm happy to anwer them.)

IC - Johhny shakes his head.

The XR 1 is way too heavy to cross this bridge - I put surplus armor plating from a junked battleship in the body panels, and she'd smash through down to the river, and sink like a stone. We'd best cross on foot.

A preliminary investigation around the entrance to the bridge reveals no trip wires, but the structure is dangerously unstable - the doughty adventures had better tread carefully while crossing.

OOC - Don't know exactly how to do this, but I guess those of you with character sheets should roll on Athletics to avoid falling through the bridge - you need 3 successes, and I trust you to be honest. And Painheart, roll for your little dog, too!

IC - With great care, Lawrence, Jiro and another man barely manage to move Endiku's unconcious form. Bethany, having affixed more torn strips from her dress into crude bandages over the wound, scampers over to a low, wheeled cart used to bring in chairs for the lecture, which she pulls over to them.

Here, get him onto this!

Soon, Enkidu is on the cart - moving him is easier, but still a lot of work. The cart also manuevers awkwardly under the apes tremendous weight. Bethany, not strong enough to contribute to this effort, calls to a servant.

Find Dr. Berger and send him upstairs - he may be just a dentist, but he'll have to do for now.

Jiro quietly dedicates all her strength and will to moving Enkidu to safety.

(Heritage: is Jiro approved? I just realized that I probably should have asked... :Blush also, I won't be around for the next week (going to London), so I guess you can assume Jiro just stays in the background trying to be useful.)

Lawrence, once the gorilla is set up on the cart, looks around as he's moved through the door. Using his entire duffle as a cushioned weapon and barracade he does his best to make sure that no one else gets in or out of the room.

OOC:

I'll try to get you his sheet ASAP.

Johnny begins carefully moving across the bridge, his shotgun clutched firmly in his hands. The old wooden ties creak under his weight, but they still hold. He turns to grin at the others.

So far so good!

Suddenly there's a splintering crack, and Johnny plunges through the bridge into the frozen river below!

OOC- Guess who just rolled a botch on 7 dice?   :Blush

Lawrence succeeds in keeping the surly crowd at bay as Enkidu is wheeled towards the back of the building. Bethany points out the frieght elevator, where Zeke the handyman motions them aboard.

Second floor, missy?

Thank you, Zeke.

Zeke pulls down the gate and throws the lever, and they all rise with a jerk. Enkidu's breath is ragged and shallow in the small wooden car. They come to an abrupt halt, and Zeke yanks up the gate.

Second floor!

Bethany frantically waves them down the hall. Endiku's head smacks into the wall as they turn a corner, but no one really notices. At last they get to the doorway of the medical suite; the room is small but well-equiped, with the most modern facilities money can buy.

Dr. Berger is waiting in a smock, all business with sleeves rolled up as he washes his hands.

Put him on the table. Gently!

He begins to inspect the wound, and makes an appreciative grunt.

Nice bandages, Bethany. Veterinary medicine is not my specialty, of course, but I had a hospital internship back in school. And Professor Dixon has been kind enough to lend me his X-ray scope to find the bullet. Why don't all of you get back downstairs? Sniff out our gunman.

Lawrence breathes a sigh of relief as the group manages to squeeze out and close the door behind themselves. Using his duffle as a barricade he clears out an area around this door and hops on the corner of a desk so that he can better watch the other one.

"Best get used to the wait Ladies an Gentlemen! I personally plan on pounding the person responsible for Mr. Enkidu's injury, and I wouldn't want that scoundrel to slip out!"

He smiles a bit at that, trying to keep the room in view, realizing of course that he could very well get shot himself standing up here and almost hoping they reveal themselves that way...although it'd be a damn risky thing on his own part.

with out a moments hesitaion Bernard leaps in after Johnny. The dog reaches the man no problem. Graping Johnny by the collar of his shirt he triess to make his way back. The current is too string for even Bernard's powerful legs and he starts to go under, untill all that can be seen in Johnny's flaling limbs

Johnny and Bernard cling together; they are able to keep their heads out of the water, but due to the current, freezing temperature and the sheets of ice, they cannot reach the shore.

Who will save them?

OOC- Ooh, it's a bad day for botches! Someone better help these two out, because they're taking lots of bashing damage from the cold.

OOC - Now would be a good time for new characters to show up at the chapterhouse, seeing as with harlequin out of town, we have a grand total of one PC looking into the shooting of Enkidu. Emily, if you want to come in now, feel free.

Umoja- Is Tariq still heading to the chapterhouse? If so, let me know if you need any info to make a proper entrance.

Borris' heart sinks as he sees Bernard and John strugling for life.  He runs to the car rifling trough the trunk. (Spending an insperation point for dramatic editing) He runs to the river side with the long rope he found in the trunk.  Tieing it to the closest tree he grabs the other end and leaps into the cold river.  He pulls out a rope and runs to tie it off to a tree, then leap into the cold water.  He makes it out to the distressed pair and find the cold water has caused them to loose consciousness.  Borris quickly tie a bowline knot around them and starts to pull them in.  It takes some strugle but he does get to the shore.  He picks up Bernard in one arm and attempts to drag johnny.

Somebody help me get them to the car the cold knocked them uot and dang near killed them!

(Say, I want to get involved, but I don't have the Adventure book.  Can I just create a character using the \"nova\" or \"psion\" creation systems but keeping the powers very, very low-key?)

OOC- Hmm, good question. On the one hand, I don't want to turn anyone away, but on the the other, Adventure has a very different feel from the other two.

Tell you what: make an Aberrant character, with the following changes:

Starting attributes: split 6 points among your primary group, 4 among your secondary, and 3 among your tertiary. This is Adventure standard.

Abilities: 23 ponits between skills, none higher than 3 dots.

Backgrounds; 6 points among backgrounds. These are fairly different between the two systems, but we'll give it a shot.

Transformation points: This is the biggest difference, and will be tricky. Start with 13 nova points. No level Three powers, no mega-atts higher than 1, and no 'suite' powers or ones with 'Quantum' in the title, no Body Mods, no powers over 2 dots.

If your playing a stalwart, take only mega-atts or powers like Boost that affect you personally. If your playing a mesmerist, choose only mental powers (Domination, ESP, Mirage, etc) and maybe mental or social mega-atts. And a Quantum no higher than 3 dots.

These suggestions are just off the top of my head, so I don't know how things will turn out. Send me a sheet based on these limitations and I'll check it out - chances are, it will still be obscenely over-powered relative to a true Adventure character, but with a few emails, we'll try and hammer it into a more reasonable shape.

I hope things work out, so we can welcome you into our merry ranks.

What does everyone else think of these suggestions, by the way? Extensive discussion should probably move into the OOC Rant forum, to keep this one open for the game.

Anthony helps to drag the men in with the rope from the bank, and as soon as they are hauled out of the water, he rushes back to the car and pulls some blankets out of the boot.

"I have some proficiency in medicine, but I am afraid I am a zoologist and veterinarian rather than a doctor."  He starts to inspect the pulse and breathing of Johnny and Bernard the dog.  "I can do something for the hound, but unless any of you are particularly proficient physicians, I suggest that we rush this gentleman back to the Society's residence.  Perhaps theb I will not miss Mister Enkidu's speech."

He awaits a reply whilst busying himself over the man and the dog.

OOC - Looks like my character would have been of more use back at the Society and we could do with a doctor here!  The irony of it!

:)

OOC - Looks like my character would have been of more use back at the Society and we could do with a doctor here!  The irony of it!

OOC - The irony of this has not been lost on me, either!

Back at the chapterhouse, the main reading room is still full of traumatized and irritated suspects, any one of which might have shot Enkidu; unfortunatly, no one has bolted for the door, twirled a sinister mustache or shot anyone else, so a state of impass currently exisits. The lecture guests sit in chairs or gather in groups, complaining about the inconvinience and the lack of sandwiches.

At length a red-faced fellow in an expensive suit that's clearly too small for him stands up defiantly and addresses Lawrence and the other 'wardens'.

How dare you imprison us? This is clearly a matter for the official police! I will not tolerate this draconian treatment!

He indicates a woman sitting beside him in a frilly coat, whose face is a barely composed mask of anguish.

My dear wife has a medical condition that requires her to visit the ladies' lounge at frequent intervals - I demand that you open the doors at once, and leave this shooting business to a police inquiry!

There are ragged shouts of agreement. Bethany mutters under her breath.

Where's an assassin when you really need one?

OOC- Hmm, good question. On the one hand, I don't want to turn anyone away, but on the the other, Adventure has a very different feel from the other two.

Tell you what: make an Aberrant character, with the following changes:

Starting attributes: split 6 points among your primary group, 4 among your secondary, and 3 among your tertiary. This is Adventure standard.

Abilities: 23 ponits between skills, none higher than 3 dots.

Backgrounds; 6 points among backgrounds. These are fairly different between the two systems, but we'll give it a shot.

Transformation points: This is the biggest difference, and will be tricky. Start with 13 nova points. No level Three powers, no mega-atts higher than 1, and no 'suite' powers or ones with 'Quantum' in the title, no Body Mods, no powers over 2 dots.

If your playing a stalwart, take only mega-atts or powers like Boost that affect you personally. If your playing a mesmerist, choose only mental powers (Domination, ESP, Mirage, etc) and maybe mental or social mega-atts. And a Quantum no higher than 3 dots.

These suggestions are just off the top of my head, so I don't know how things will turn out. Send me a sheet based on these limitations and I'll check it out - chances are, it will still be obscenely over-powered relative to a true Adventure character, but with a few emails, we'll try and hammer it into a more reasonable shape.

I hope things work out, so we can welcome you into our merry ranks.

What does everyone else think of these suggestions, by the way? Extensive discussion should probably move into the OOC Rant forum, to keep this one open for the game.

Okay. No prob.

Don't worry about it being overpowered, I'm going to be careful, and keep things low-key.  Probably won't have any Quantum powers at all, just a few Mega-attributes an enhancements.  A "Stealth Nova" ala Batman or Daredevil sounds like it could work in an Adventure! setting, so that's probably what I'm going to make.

"Sir, just calm down please...if someone'd shot you would you want us to give 'em the chance to run off?"Lawrence says, trying to be reassuring, "I'm sure we can work something out for your wife."

Lawrence looks to Bethany, willing to follow her lead...it's been a while since he's followed orders, but when there's no one obviously at fault he's a bit stuck.

Then he has an idea.

Moving closer to her, he whispers... "Well, we could always try and bluff...flush the shooter out? Or have I read one too many mystery sheets?"

Moving closer to her, he whispers... \"Well, we could always try and bluff...flush the shooter out? Or have I read one too many mystery sheets?\"

Bethany murmurs out the side of her mouth You can never read too many. What do you suggest - act like we know who it is, or that we're so dangerous that he has to bolt? Or something else altogether?

Lawrence tires to keep a normal face to the discontent crowd as he speaks to Bethany.

"Well, I'm not much of a liar...but I was thinking the first one."

He motions lightly to himself.

"Not sure people'd buy that one from me...but if anyone tries anything I can help with the second," he whispers with a smile.

OOC: Hehehe, this should be interesting.

OOC- Based on what happened at the bridge and the statements made by two of the PCs there, I'm going to say the Hunter group is heading back to the Society. This will also get the whole group back together.

IC- It was decided that that Johnny and Bernard desperately needed to get indoors, so the rest of the group put them into the XR 1 and squeezed in after them.

Driving the XR 1 proved to be...interesting. With its powerful engine and unlabeled controls, it wasn't easy, and there was some considerable property damage en route, but in no time the great gleaming car brought them back to the chapterhouse.

Seeing the sad state of Johnny and the dog, a servant ushers them in, shaking his head sadly.

First poor Mr. Enkidu is shot, and now this - truly, this has been a most unfortunate day!

After seeing that the servants are taking Bernard to be properly cared for Borris runs his attention to other matters.  He almos absent mindedly pull a pipe out of his jacket, he realizes that it's waterloged and quitely cusses to himself.  Calling over one of the servants he gives her that pipe plus three others and asks her to find to take them to the drawing room to dry out.  He then makes his way to Bethany.

What is this business of Enkidu being shoot?  Have the police benn called because I want a chance to knock the culpret around a bit before they get here.

(Heritage, check your email/messages.  I sent you my character.  I'm not quite sure what hook to use for him showing up at this Aeon society chapterhouse, so any suggestions as to how to work him into the story? I don't just want to walk up grinning like a fool...)

Bethany whispers into Borris' ear (oo-la-la!))

We haven't contacted the police yet, but it's high time we did. We've no idea who the shooter is, but he's trapped in this room.

She indicates a somewhat scruffy-looking man [Lawrence] with a nod of her head.

This gentleman and I were preparing to flush the fellow out by bluffing - any other suggestions?

Meanwhile, back at the chapter house, there is a knock on the door.  A well-groomed gentleman with elegantly cut short black hair and a dashing goatee stands patiently at the door, adjusting his suit and and tapping a cane thoughtfully.  When the door is finally answered, he'll announce:

"Raoul del Fuego.  Here to see Mr. Mercer, please."

The flustered servant shakes his head.

I'm afraid you've come at a very bad time, Senor del Fuego - Mister Mercer is away on business, and we're having a bit of a crisis right now. Perhaps you could return on Monday morning?

OOC- Hola, Manuel! Welcome to all this madness.

Archived