Spangly Superheros

Sid Blane

Now i now this will open up alot of contraversy but i have to dissagree with Snr Mal. Batman was not a proper super hero. He had "wonderful toys" but no powers. The graetest super hero is, was, and will forever be ... The Flying Boulder.

(Brings back memories, eh Mal)

It true the boulder was very... special in his own way. However, you must never, ever slate the greatness that is The Batman.

Right, so Batman in Aberrant.

well as has been pointed out he dosen't have 'super' powers as such like laser beams and warp. However, he does have an uncanny ability to survive death and swing around the ridiculously high buildings of Gotham.

Therefore I'd deck him out with Mega stats. Stamina and dex obviously and a touch of strength here and there (Nothing over the top possibly only one or two points in each but it certainly puts him above a normal mortal) plus he's also got to have a certain amount of mega intelligence and wits as well (He is the worlds greatest detective afterall).

Then the rest of the points on backgraound like resources (Naturally, he is a billionaire) and you could make his suit an eufiber one etc. his advanced technology could certainly be created in the Nova age.

It'd be cool to play him just after N Day and he's just starting out like in Batman: Year one, or it'd be really nice to do a sort of crossover at the start of the aberrant war about 2060 and Batman is now like he is in Dark Knight Returns.

I really can´t see Batman with Mega-attributes. Even at 1, they´re WAY over the top for a "Super-normal" guy like the Caped Crusader. Mega-Strength of 1? I very much doubt that Batman could bench press a small car.

I think he´d fit in better with the Adventure! concepts; after all, he was a "The Shadow" ripoff from the beginning. Nothing wrong with that, mind you; those were the days.

Personally, I try to get my Aberrant chronicle in the same vein as "the Authority" - high-speed mass-destruction, with a lot of real-life political commentary thrown in for good measure. Widescreen and LARGE in scope. Why blow up a building when you can eradicate a city? And never, ever let characters get away from the consequences of, say, a Nova fistfights in a high-density population area.

I also throw in a lot of Rising Stars for flavor.

(Sigh.)

THIS is how I´d like to play.

Jenny Sparks, from the pages of The Authority. She can kick ass with anyone, and badmouth them at the same time. That british style.

Secondary, Jack Hawksmoor or the Midnighter might qualify also.

If I should rate the non-Authority variants, I´d go for Batman. C´mon, he´s the meanest SOB around. He made The Darkness feel so bad about himself that he gave up his life as a mobster hitman in the crossover, the kicked SUperman´s butt in "the dark Knight returns" (which has a sequel coming up! yay!!!), AND he made up ways to neutralize every other member of the JLA (damn that Ra´s Al Ghul who stole the plans, eh?).

He can kick anyone´s ass.

Oh, and every single character in Rising Stars is worth a fansite of their own.

Are they worth a look? They´re just about the best things that have happened to superhero comics, is what!

There´s currently two Authority TPB´s - of these, the second one ("Under new management") is my favourite. Here, the team of uber-powerful heroes begin to take a more proactive approach to defending the Earth; for example, they go into a South Asian dictator´s office guns blazing, annihilating hsi forces and throwing him out to be punished by his own people. This, of course, does not go very well with the powers that be... I love to see a "superhero" group that are not content with maintaining the status quo (like that big poof from Krypton).

Rising Stars is something else entirely; a mini-series divided into three chapters (the second TPB is out now, though I haven´t had time/moeny to get it) with a truly epic feel to it. It tells the story of 113 individuals blessed with powers because of a mysterious light that hit the small town of Patterson, Illinois when they were all in utero. What happens when one of them starts killing the others?

I truly have no idea what you´re talking about, unless you´re referring to the character X-man, who is Cable´s future self before he went back in time... sort of, you never can tell with these Marvel characters. Some time ago they also tried to launch "Bishop: The last X-man", for some reason trying to exploit the X-men character with the least interesting backstory (except Firebird) and the geekiest hairstyle (um, except Firebird).

Other than that, you got me...

Archived