Non-Continuum RPG's

Joseph

This is a survey of sorts. A media through wich you can voice up and sell us on the non-Continuum (Adventure, Aberrant, Trinity)  games that you play.

What other games do you play or prefer? Have you done any conversions from another system to Continuum or vice versa? Crossovers? Blatant idea stealing? (I do.  :P )

Give us a rundown of your favorite "other" games. Who knows, you may find a convert or two. ::priest

-Joseph

Lesse...

Although I run Trinity as our main title, and have done for some time; I also sometimes run..

- Pendragon

- Noir

- Aberrant

- Known World (home made fantasy jobbie based on - Storyteller)

- d20 Dnd

- V:TM

There's a ridicculously large list of other games going back over the years, Cthulhu, Werewolf, Paranoia, AD&D 1st & 2nd Ed's et al.

As for playing...

- Aberrant

- Adventure!

- Star Wars

- V:TM

- V:TDA

- W:TO

heh, I've also got multiple bookshelves (they have collapsed under the strain at least once....and one actually fell 'on' me.... but thats another story ;) ) full of other titles that I've been meaning to get around to playing or running...

...  there's gotta be several dozen other systems on those shelves  ::eh

As Pax said, we normally run Adventure. But since we're not talking about any Continuum games here ( ;) ), let's move on to the other bits.

I'm a big goober for Shadowrun. Haven't played in at least six years, but it brings back some fond memories. (Wow. You'd think a heavily chromed Street Sammy would last more than two rounds against that ganger.  :D ) I got into it about a year after it came out, and have enjoyed each addition since. I typically go for mages and deckers. I'm currently playing a character in our Adventure game based off of some converted Shadowrun ideas. (Really messed up guy, but fun anyway.  :P )

I've done a lot with D&D. Especially the SpellJammer supplements. Great stuff there, with too many stories to tell. I once played in a Mage game where the ST used the SpellJammer ideas as a realm we had to delve into. Wonderful story that ended before we finished it.

Werewolf is a biggie on my list, too. I jive with the whole spirits, politics, and saving the world bit. I think it's well presented and easily workable in any direction you want to take. (Pax's Wild West game was quite a doozy. The guy can really run a gunslingin' adventure!)

Wraith. Possibly one of only two WoD games that focuses on more than just the dark. Though, yes, Oblivion awaits (virtual beer for anyone outside the Horsemen who can name that quote), I see the game as positive with a definte focus on hope. It's about making up for what you didn't get around to in life. It's about redemption. I only ever ST'd two one-shots, but those were great times. It's fun watching a player and their Shadow player fight it out, or even work out bargains.  :)

Rifts is a game that most people assign to munchkindom. I've always had good luck with it. The tech and magic are fun, with plenty of monsters and the like to meet/defeat/befriend. Like Trinity, there is so much to do in that world(s) that it's sometimes hard to focus on one thing. It's highly adaptable to different kinds of story, theme, and mood.

My largest game ever was StarWars (West End Games style). We finally ended with 17 players. (Oddly, only two Jedi.) It was fun to get to be part of that universe for a little while. I don't want to know how many hours I've spent converting concepts form this game into others. (Drooling fanboy that I am.  ::rolleyes )

-Joseph

I've only played a handful of games total, so i'll just tell all of them....

D&D

Dark Conspiracies (well, really *about* to)

Star Wars

that and all three aeon games are my only experience. eh, well, at least i've yet to find a bad game :: crosses fingers to keep from jinxing self ::

Right now I'm not playing anything...away from my group and all. But here's my list of off and on games just before I left:

Cthulu

Elric

LOTR (Lands of Middle Earth...I think it's based on rolemaster...awful system. We remembered why we hadn't played it for so long...)

D&D 3rd

Heroes unlimited (palladium, Thats before I discovered aberrant fairly recently)

Rifts (palladium again, while the system isn't great the world material is so good that it more than compensates...great game. I like playing city games with Cyber-docs, city rats, vagabonds, scholars etc. A dog-boy pack is also a helluva lot of fun to play.)

Uhmm, a Trinity game and thats about it...I bought Adventure just before leaving for here and haven't had time to game...

it's horrible to be away from gaming like that...i know i use it as destressing usually (heh, nothing like unloading a tommy gun into 3 men, then putting in a new clip and doing it again....i love adventure...  :D )

hope you get everything settled down and worked out there with that 'zeke....

well lessee, games i've played... all of the big wod titles, including but not limited to

vampire masquerade/dark ages

werewolf

changleling :)

wraith

mage ::bigsmile

and of course the aeon games, as well as a few others

dark conspiracy

dnd 2nd/3rd (1 game of each now)

various homemade systems

yeah, i think thats it, the entirity of my gamming experience. hmm, kinda a short list now that i look at it.

jake

*grins and tosses Anine a fresh tommy gun drum* Give 'em hell kiddo! ;)

But seriously, ask a dangerous question, get a dangerous answer. . .here's a mere sampling of some of the games I'm into right now:

A) Deadlands: Lost Colony. Fun stuff. Space Opera/Western/Horror. For more see my review, handily available below this very post! (shameless, self endorsing plug.  ::sneaky )

B) Silver Age Sentinels. Entitled " The Ultimate d20 Superhero RPG, it caught my eye as I wandered the games store. Being a superhero nut from waaaaay back in the day (I mean it. You cannot stump me on comic related trivia. No brag, merely fact. I gotz mad skillz.) I picked it up for a looky-loo. While d20 rules still make me scritch my head in mild confusion, the setting, art, and writing have really endeared this game to me. Silver Age Sentinels harkens back to the pre-"Grim 'n Gritty" days of superhero comics, though you can run about anything from old school All Star Squadron tales to something akin to the Dark Knight Returns in terms of maturity. In short? Me likee. . . ::bigsmile

C) Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Love this game to death. Easily the first "mature" roleplaying game I ever encountered, and still my favorite. I don't get to play as much of it anymore, but there's a lot of affection for it. And for the love of God, if I hear one more ignoramus twink on the White Wolf forums call this a "hack 'n slash" game I'm going to scream. Of course there's a hack and slash element to Werewolf. I mean, what did you expect? Werewolf: The Tea Party?! Yeesh. But if you look past the surface elements of Garou as killing machines you'll find a rich and deep culture,  one deeper than about any other White Wolf game. It's a game of heroes, but of tragedy too. The werewolves are dying, their culture is fading and the world is about to end. But there's always a chance. . .and that's where the beauty of Werewolf lies. Oh, and Pax? I loooove Werewolf: The Wild West. My favorite historical game _ever_.  :D

D) 7th Sea. I loved the film The Princess Bride, and about any of the old school swashbucklers I can get my hands on. With 7th Sea you get to live those movies, the kind of sword flashing, swing from the chandalier and land to handle five opponents handily with a rougish smile and a quick quip.  The world of Theah is a realm not unlike our own during the time of pirates, buccaneers, lords and ladies, though also different in many others. It's  a great world to adventure in, and have some heroic fun with style and panache. It was one of my moments of sublime joy as a player when I and my friends characters raised our crossed swords to the sky and cried out " All for one and one for all! "  ::lookaround

E) Call of Cthulhu. Creepy, creepy, creepy. I'm a veteran horror movie buff, and I pride myself on the fact that no "haunted house" attraction or the like has ever scared me. But my friend's CoC campaign was easily one of the most frightening experiences I've ever had as a gamer. Imagine the terror of a film like the Blair Witch project, or your favorite horror stories. Now place _yourself_ in a world where man is a mere speck in the universe and doesn't have a hope in hell of stopping these undying, primordial beings who want the world. . .and everything on it. . .dead. . .to this day, to this day I can't talk about what happened to our group.

F) Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game. Yeah, yeah, yeah. . .I'm a Trekkie. I've tried to kick the habit, to grow up and accept "serious" science fiction. . .but I've got such fondness for the old school Trek of Kirk and Spock that you can't expect me to let it go. Last Unicorn Games published a wonderful series of core rulebooks for three of the then four Trek series, and easily my favorite is the one dedicated to the classic Star Trek. Lovingly produced with photographs and an interior style mimicing the graphics of the original series, you felt like you were actually getting into the universe of the 1960s television series. The book just bounced with an energy and you could just tell the creative team was having a blast making the book. Easily one of my favorite RPGs.

Whew. Once again another long-winded, rambling post. But these are my current/all time faves.

God I love this hobby.  :)

-Def.

Defender:

I found Silver Age Sentinels at the game store. It seemed pretty cool, but I would prefer not to get the d20 version. The Tri-Stat version seems a lot better, and more cinematic in nature.

I haven't played much Call of Chthulu, but one game sticks in my mind. The GM ran a game where we all played little kids living in a squalid 1920's orphanage. It was pretty creepy.

Our FLGS has a copy of 7th Sea in - I'm not sure which system though..  I might check it out, sounds like it could be a blast ;)

Now there's just the trick of convincing my S/O that it isn't a _new_ purchase - it's been on the shelves at home for _years_, ahem. (back me up here, yeah? :P )

Back on topic yah?  OK.   ::sly

With the d20 DnD Im currently running I have to say that the system has taken a bit of getting used to (especially considering I played/ran 1st/2nd Ed for many, many years).  

Thanks to a bit of help from those in the know ( *tips hat to Anine* ) we're thoroughly enjoying the game right now - the new sys is certainly more streamlined than the old one, and the revised version of the Forgotten Realms setting (I was a Realms-freak for years *shrug* ) is beautifully done.

::thumbs-up

Yes. . .that book was on the shelf for _years_. *said in robotic, pre-programmed monotone* Hehe. You're not the first to pull a fast one in the name of the hobbie Chill and you won't be the last. Best of luck to you anyway. I think my personal cartoon idol Duckman put it best when he took a business card to fool a vending machine into giving him a free soda:

" Gee. . .I bet a kid, thinking that I was a role model, could easily use this method to obtain soda illegally too. . .

DO IT! DO IT NOW KIDS! STICK IT TO THE MAN!!! MWAH-HAH-HAH!!!!

. . .but of course, that would be wrong. "  :P

-Def.

I got into RPG's at 12, started out as the DM of a D&D game. Sure, a 12 year old's stories were not the best, but I got much better.  ::priest

I 'retired' from running games this summer shortly before we moved, after wrapping up my three year Trinity game. I just recently talked Jimmy into running Tribe 8, and the first game was this afternoon. I had a blast as a player. I love Tribe 8, and the DP9 Sillouette system is probably the best I've ever seen. I think it was Natwick that tried to talk me into this game, thanks, and why did I wait so long...

At any rate, as I'm now 25 (almost 26) that means I had run games for 13 years. The games I ran are, in order;

D&D  - 2 years (not AD&D, just D&D with the boxes)

Rifts - 8 months (Oops, we sunk Atlantis again... )

Shadowrun - 9 months (I did Resident Evil with this game before there was even Play Station... damn me for not filing copyright... *lol*)

Vampire/Werewolf/Mage/Wraith - 3 years (crossover Pariah camapign, better plot that WW could ever hope for in their wildest dreams in their 'Moderated' chats, and people to vouch for it.)

Star Wars - 10 months (WEG d6, and the fact that everyone has the exact same stats in that time is why I believe that d6 sucked...)

Palladium Fantasy - 1 year (War Campaign, if anyone wants to read the 12 page journal I can post a link)

Trinity - 3 years (with occasional Aberrant Crossover via an Aberrant power that worked a lot like in Final Fantasy 8. I can e-mail copies of the game journal for this one, do not yet have a host site for the old material when I lost the old host)

In addition, over the years I played in or ran small games (1 to 2 months) in the following; Battletech, Earthdawn, Amber, AD&D, Kobolds Ate My Baby, BESM2,  & Robotech: The Sentinels. And of course, I just started playing Tribe 8. So, I got a lot of games under my belt...

I have on my shelf but have yet to play the new d20 D&D (with Ravenloft setting, only really good non-Aeon book I think WW has put out in the last two years)and d20 Star Wars, Exalted (good, but I'd rather play BESM. Also don't need one page per power due to the long names... ), Heavy Gear, Changeling, Mummy, and Mechanoids (Palladium's first game ever).

So, if any of you are running games in the Lansing MI area, drop me a line. I'm looking to try new stuff.

• 6 months later...

HI. It´s me again.

Just wanted to drop my sermon, so here I go:

Games played

DSA : German game, Fantasy

Shadowrun

Earthdawn

Werewolf

vampire Masquerade & dark ages

Cthulu

Call of the Warlock

Rifts

Palladium Fantasy

Runequest (only once :))

AD&D 1st & 2nd

And lots more i don´t remember right now.

Favorits: Earthdawn, Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, and surely the continuum games.

I wonder how White Wolf would feel to see no Exalted in these lists?

Ok been playing for almost 5 years.

Played:

-V:tm sabat, 3 games (loved these games unbelievably fun)

-V:tm camarilla, 2 verry short games (each to his own I suppose)

-V:tm camarilla elders, 2 games (fun but verry short)

-V:tda, 2 games (absolutely brilliant each time). 1st game was just fun and gave a few ideas the 2nd, we called carthage for lack of origionality and it's where the game began, is our longest running game and has seen a group of neonate grow to become elders in modern times. This game brought my favorite character to life (or is that unlife?) Jariel the salubri warrior.

-fantasy based off story teller system 2 games (excellent despite a few minor arguments we had with the gm)

-Jedi: the old republic, again based off ST system (either best or second best game ever! I can't decide)

-Werewof, 3 games, 1st 2 were very short and mostly hack and slash. The 3rd is currently being played every fortnight and is a great game. I agree entirely with Defender, Werewolf is not a hack and slash, just play your auspice properly, remember you are not all Get of Fenris Ahroun!

-Demon Hunter X, 2 games (Play this people! trust me on this)

-Another fantasy, otherwise known as The Sillyad, we've played this twice with varrying rules again ST system, the third incarnation is going to be DnD system... great fun especially when the ultimate GM's tool comes into play: The God of Random Magical effects!

-DnD 3edition, 1 game, since we were all familliar with the Baldur's Gate games it was based on Faerun but we decided not to use Forgottten Realms and stuck with DnD with a bit of a twist here and there. I only enjoyed this game for about 4 or 5 sessions then I found myself disliking it more and more as it went along to the point where I was happy to see it end... Let's hope The Sillyad DnD edition doesn't follow suit.

-Legend of the 5 Rings, 1 game, WOW what a system! and great fun too!!!

I'm sure I've missed one or two games but this list is fairly big and my brain isn't working all that well today.

Games I have run: ::crazy

One session failures:

-Vampire the Masquerade sabat(ish), I rellied too heavily on one player that turned out to be a dunce... "So did you see anything out of the ordinary?" says the Bishop "Not really" says the player... 2 minutes earlier he had encountered a gigantic bug, the size of a bus, that layed an egg then disappeared, upon him examining the egg he finds a baby with glowing red eyes encased in a gelatinous orb that for some wierd reason he decides to shoot at. Nothing happened to the baby but he was flung 50 meters into the nearest builing by an invisible force... "not really" hey says!!!!! after that I gave up!

-Dark Jedi: I was under prepaired and chose not to try again at a later date.

Currently running:

-Trinity, I love this game, first session was pretty bumpy but it got smother as it went along. 2nd session I had the flu and the game was going south but the players bared with me and now the game seems to be in full swing... Hooray! ::biggrin

i wish they would drop exalted and bring back aeon trinity ::smiley4

`Yer bloody right, Bahamut810!

Who wants to be some Avatar if he can be a god himself?

BTW: I think Aberrant would have been more successful if they had put it in a "you áre playing the new gods-find your place"-way.

Has anyone of you read about Exalted? A starting character is almost invulnerable. It needs some nifty 20 XP to get complete Invulnerability (not additional soak but the "hey i ignore these attacks" effect). This one cancels Quantum Inferno!

There are some more points that Exalted are overpowered, believe me.

And they say we Aberrant gamers are Munchkins. HA!

As a basesentence:

Don´t play Ab under some former Exalted ST, cause he might wipe you of accidently!

::crazy

Looks like I don´t like the game. Wasn´t sure about it until now. ::bigsmile

Archived