WW & Everquest

Nadrakas

Hey, Nadrakas! Welcome aboard, mate. Hope to see more of you floating around the forums here. :)

I agree with the frightening imagery that idea provides. Little wonder why I rarely go to the Wolf website anymore.  ???

-Joseph

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the "Warm Welcome" Joseph and Harlequin.  It's feels good to be <sniff> loved.  Definately a nicer welcome than the WW Forum gives.

I've been enjoying reading the Forums here at EON....think I'll be here a while.

Nadrakas..."EON is Happiness....Happiness is EON...."

Glad to hear you'll be sticking around :)

A big welcome goes out the the 20 odd new forum members in the last months or so, although not all of you have posted yet, I know you drop by and seew what is going on :)

::waves::

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just curious about this system how they'll make it so 6 or so table top gamers, can kill a dragon that in game would take say 40-60 players all of the highest level.

Plus, the books will be good for me as a fiendish addict in that they'll give details about monster hitpoints, breath weapons, special attacks etc that are left to best guesses in game.

Also I think if you took someone playing this system that has never played the actual game, and paired them with someone who's played the game for years, you'd be bound to see some nasty agruements over exactly what would work...  but again, good or not, it'll definately give some good insider info for in-game strategies!

• 1 month later...

:angry: Well the first book of this got pushed back to August for release, but they did give some spoiler stuff at a Fan Faire and on their website.  From what I gathered reading what was online and what other EQ'rs said is.... this is going to be a heaping pile of steamy bull dookey.

Any strategical information this book could have held, was thrown out the window when they made the maximum level 30, vs. the in game level 60.  Not only does that throw most things out of whack, they give everything D&D like hitpoints.  Oooh a dragon with 450hp! Scare me! ::smiley8 (EQ dragons have 32,000hp and up)

Secondly, game stats usually ranging from 0 to 255 (coding people understand why for that), is reduced to 1 to 20 for the pen and paper version.  Melee is a complete and total rip from D&D 3rd Edition.  Utter crap, limited attacks per round, Vocal and Somantic components to spells, spells lasting MINUTES instead of hours.    :angry:

Only reason I may even buy a book is to find how to port a WW:EQRPG character class to D&D, SINCE THEY THE FRICKIN' SAME!

But alas, I rant.  I finally agree with you all, this is crap. ::smiley4

What matter is it if a dragon had 350 HP or 32000 HP? HP systems are still crap (except for BESM, because they include "Shock Value" so that high damage attacks (rocket launchers, Kamaha-maha-waves, etc) or criticals do more than just "double damage"), what I'd rather see is a scaled health chart system added to the so called Evercrack, that might actually make it worth playing and not twinkish. Why don't I play the game? Because people obsessed with hit points and kwel powers go around killing newbie for the extra XP.

IRL, people die when shot, regardless of how much education or experience they have (i.e. levels). The idea that people get more ability to soak damage goes aginst the laws of physics and is frankly ludacris. Damage is damage, instead of HP, worry about defense (armor, magic, psionics, etc) or not being hit in the first place. As said above, if you insist on a HP system for simplicity or whatever, you must still have a method to cause masssive damage, crippling, coma or even death regardless of current HP.

Dragons in Shadowrun, now THOSE are scary, and they don't have Hit Points. They have the same health chart as everyone else. They just generally ignore anything short of Anti-tank quality damage.

HP or health charts....it's all a matter of your point of view. There's nothing wrong with either.

I don't look at the system and see it as so absolutely unrealistic as you seem to (I beleive there was a thread in trinity discussing why a single shot from a gun doesn't *always* kill)

I see it just as different ways of looking at the same thing. To each their own.

Oh, and just because you don't like the system or disagree with how it's handled or run doesn't give you the right to announce that it's ludacris or stupid. If you don't like it, then don't play it, but there's no need to start ragging on what other people seem to like or such.

(I do appologize if this was simply my reading of your post but it came off the wrong way on me.)

Sorry if I came off as a bit vehement, but I really do dislike HP systems with no mechanicsm of reflecting massive damage, even if said damage doesn't outright kill.

Really, in most HP systems, you function perfectly fine right up till you're at 1 HP. How realistic is that? BESM has shock value, so if you take too much of your Max HP in one hit (1/5th) you get KO'ed or other complications as devised by GM. AFAIK, 3D&D has no such system (but I hear that the d20 Star Wars does, and have been intending to take a look at it).

The other bad thing about HP systems in my is the very idea of fights like Zain described. Who wants to roll dice for three days to kill one creature because it has 1000's of HP and the average weapon does 1d8?

actually, dnd 3e has a rule that if you inflict 50 pts of damage or more, then it's auto death. it's an optional rule though.

i do agree that it can be less realistic, but that's when it takes a good dm to come in and say that along the way, you've lost the use of that arm or the like. it's just done w/ house rules and the sort....

*adopts silly voice, the kind with the special effect that makes it echo around the room*

Thou shalt drag the Golden Rule into all your games!

:D

um....  I'm being a troll right now aren't i?

How's about a useful comment CHILL I hear you ask, um...  OK, don't get your hopes up though.  :P

I have to agree with Anin's comment about what a good DM can do to make this a lot easier.  I perfer a rules light system, and run several strings of sessions without dice rolls at all on occasion, as I see it, it all comes down to a little common sense and personal preference.

...not that i'm well known for having any that is (thats common sense if you were wondering).

*starts chanting*

Golden rules.....golden rule.......golden rule...

ahem.

??? Well, after talking with Aninemity I realized just how harsh I was in my post.

I really don't care about how many HP something has, or how the damage is done.  My main problem was the game their putting out just isn't Everquest.

It's too much like D&D for me, which I like alot, but Everquest just isn't meant to be D&D style to me.

I wanted these books to be a photocopy of what I get to enjoy online. I wanted to show my RL friends what I do all day and night long without having to buy them new computers, EQ accounts, plvl them to 60, gear them, then take them on raids.  Unfortunately for me, these books won't deliever.

That lack of delievery on something I love so much angered me, and that's quite visable in my rant.  Sorry I went off like that :(

Kinda like watching your favorite movie, then 20 years later it comes out again as a remake, and they butcher it.

But maybe since the game systems will be similar Aninemity will let me play an EQ character class in her D&D games.   ::devil

Anyway, back to EQ!   ::cheesy

actually, dnd 3e has a rule that if you inflict 50 pts of damage or more, then it's auto death. it's an optional rule though.

Really? I must have missed that. Which book / page is it found in? Makes sense however, with a longsword doing 1d8, 50 pts is massive, (seige engine quality, dragon breath, pissed off mage with fireball) so instant death (or at least coma if the DM wants to be nice to PCs) would make sense.

KT

Hmmm...to me Everquest draws a lot on D&D.  I don't play it, but I've had a few friends show me it.  My biggest problem is that most of the people on EQ don't roleplay - which is a must for me {I'm not into "hack & slash...}.

Here's my comparisons.  I'm sure there are many differences, but IMHO both games are very similar system wise.

1) They both use levels to track character advancement, though in EQ they go up to 60 or so.

2) They both use magic and spells, though EQ uses "Mana" instead of memorizing the spells - Hmmm.....though I think some classes of them do have to "ready" their spells.

3) In both Exp is gained from killing mosters.

4)  In both you can play Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, Lizard Men, Orcs, Dark Elves, etc, etc.  All of these are in D&D -- you can play any of the creatures from the Monster Manual if your DM lets you -- Including Dragons.

5) There are Character Classes in both systems.  Each has their differences, but you are "defined" by your "Class" as opposed to more freeform systems {Like the "Aeoniverse"...}

6) Both use Hit Points.  Granted, EQ has a much larger value for their HP, but their relatively the same when you boil everything down to it's basic components.

Now...what is this all about?  Well, to be honest I don't expect the EQ Tabletop game to be exactly like the EQ Computer game in the "Rules" interpretation.  WW is using the Open Gaming License and has to fit this into it.  What WW is really doing is delving into the history and interplay that makes up the EQ world.  That, to me, is why I will buy the books.  To me a world should be made up of people, places and events...not how high a level the characters can get or if they can ever defeat the biggest Dragon ever "in the history of the world" -- at least until next adventure.

And remember what WW is saying:  “It’s Your World Now!”   You get to design the Stories and Epic adventures.

I'm also going to bet that the makers of the EQ computer game have looked and approved what WW is doing.

Oh...and take a look at the EQRPG site.  Look closely at the spells.  (2d10+4)x10 points damage? 3d10 points of damage...every round for 16 rounds?  8d10 temporary HP gained?  Looks to me as if a lot of the spells are pretty powerful.  And, like EQ, they require that you be a certain level in order to cast them.  Hmm...don't know, but maybe the creatures will be tougher than you think.  It's all "context".

So...with all of the above in mind I think that WW is doing a good job.  I eagerly await the EQ tabletop game....now if we could only get WW to put more out for the "Aeoniverse".

Well...I hope I did not offend anyone, as that was not my intent.  I just hope people take a look at the EQ tabletop game as having potential...not as a "cheap knockoff" of the original.  The EQ tabletop game is heading into new and exciting frontiers...and we can help chart the course.

Nadrakas... ::eoncon03  ::eoncon03  ::eoncon03

• 4 months later...

EQRPG monster manual is out.  It's okay, in comparing it to actual EQ and D&D.  The monsters look about right, only they give them the usual extras D&D monsters have.  Notably in the undeads, but in my games these will be ignored outright.  Overall, I think it's useful for a lvl 1-25 (EQRPG levels) game. (that's 1 to 50 in real EQ).

Also I noticed most of the monsters only cover the original EQ, Kunark, some of Velious, none of Luclin, and none of Planes of Power.  It only has one god with stats which is Cazic Thule (3,267 hp).  I was a bit saddened by that because I perfer the end game to the boring middle sections.  But I think the Castle Mistimore stuff will work well for my single session game.  

So far, with the first two books I think it's a nice general outline.  I see how someone with no prior EQ experience could enjoy this, but for me I'm going to have to dump about 80% of it for my game.  I'm going to make a session exactly how it is in the real game, then from the reactions to that sprinkle in as much D&D as needed.  Hopefully it'll be fun with my interpretation.

Archived