Vampire the endangered Species ?

needle

:withstupid Time for my weekly observation about Vampire. Eric have you lost your mind? What the #### is he talking about? Has anyone noticed the number of other WW game sites are disappearing faster than jack rabbits   :crazy Now am not crazy well may be a little. But the number of quality sites is going down. Just an observation. You're wondering why do we care? We'll if Vampire is on the fade than What will take its place? Trinity the Dark Skies ?  :devil Abberrant the Fires of War. Adventure the everquest event. :cry  Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of game designers low on cash  :sleepy

Eric buddy - good stuff.

Letws make this a formal weekly thing buddy?  Throw some observations out there, and lets see what people think.

As for V:TM websites?  not sure........ I know that some of the more prominent ones are certainly taking longer, and longer, and longer to get updates......?

Although I'm not personally even remotely interested in Exalted, I wonder if it does well from a fan web base?

Could be a useful indicator........

Hello!

:)

...A quick five minute search and found very little on Exalted outside of WW, except for buying it on the web...

...Oh and yahoo had a group too...

I think that helps answer the question quite well. Especially considering it took me only seconds to find the Europnet site for the first time (on Dogpile).

Good VTM websites are few and far between, and always have been. Most of the 'good ones' I've been pointed to have just been 'slag off the DnD players, we're so more mature'.

...And of course, we here at Eon all actually are...

:D

...And of course, we here at Eon all actually are...

Am not!  :P

You know, come to think of it, I don't think I have ever found a quality VTM site. Some of the Clan_Name.com sites were decent, but exectued poorly. (Heh. Execute them. Poorly. :sly )

There was a WTA site that almost made my Favorites menu once.

Though I hate to say it, as there are exceptions to every rule, I feel that the WoD games are almost like trainers. They're easy to get, many people play them, they show lots of support. Once you learn how to really role play, you tend to move on to more complicated, inspiring (no pun intended) games. (Mage 2E and Wraith being likely exclusions.)

I will drop a disclaimer here, though. A few talented and mature people I know still enjoy VTM and the like. It's what suits them, and that's fine.

-Joseph

Talented yes...

Mature...

*BUM*

Hur Hur!

Isn't Wraith out of print now? I never got a chance to play that one although I like the sound of it. Sort of. I'll reserve my final judgement until I've read it, although it does sound good.

But then again, so did the idea of Vampire:The Dark Ages...

:)

My observation of the week...Hunter - the reckoning is an awful, sucky, waste of paper. I bought it about a year ago thinking it was a "Hunter hunted" revised and fuller edition. Boy was I wrong...It mage me lose faith in future WW products..'til I read my Trinity book that is   :)

See, I dunno about all the flak that Hunter gets... I think it's kinda okay. :blush

It's not another Vampire or Trinity by a long shot but it's not as bad as everyone makes out.

...although sometimes I think that Hunter Im reading is completely different for the one everyone else seems to have...

Actually most reviews that I've read of H:TR are good ones. However, they describe the game as a horror, weak mortal vs. monster game. The problem is that you're not playing mere mortals! I hated the whole "messengers" thing and I gave my book away.

If you want a real game where you play weaklings vs. monsters, find Hunters hunted. Now THAT was good. If only reckoning had just been an improved version...(sigh)

Hunters hunted must be out of print though... :huh2

Yes, sad to say that Hunter's Hunted is out of print. Sad thing too since it was a very good book.

As for good WoD sites, they have been slowly disappearing. I had about 20 of them saved and slowly but surely, they take longer and longer to update till they are gone. But since Rage Across the Plotlines happened, I haven't been buying many of the new books anyway. Glad I still have a group that doesn't give a #### about progress and stays in the 2nd edition.  :)

As for HtR, it can be good if the ST is prepared and the rest of the group can suspend their knowledge of the other monsters to make a game of it. I didn't care for the Messenger bit either and left it almost totally out of the game.

No Sheep

(Chimming in but missing the door bell)

HUnter's HUnted was a rather small resources book ww put out for vampire, it detailed hunters, gave them merits and flaws, detailed psychic ablities, various famous hunters, and organizations that hunt, etc... i'll admit it is a very good book even if i can't stand wod...

-harle

I have it, if anyone would like me to reference anything for them.

Why is it that some of the better WoD books are out of print? Wraith included. Oh, sure, it's all fine and dandy to be an evil blood-sucking fiend, but kill the characters, make the tone a little darker, more serious, and everyone goes crying to mommy.

Wait. Wraith was about hope, huh? Heh. Oops. I guess my first party shouldn't have been sucked screaming through Harrowing into Oblivion in the first fifteen minutes.  :blush

-Joseph

My wraith games were also : "how do I make the players cry this time?" Despair being the lingering mood...:)

Just to avoid confusion...Hunters Hunted was a resource guide for mortal hunters. No spiffy powers, no special "guardian angels"...just mortals with the knowledge that Vampires exist. (and the will or obligation to do something about it)

The similarity in the titles is what made me by Hunter - the reckoning...great marketing ploy. Evil!  :devil  Evil!

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, I'm the only one here who would be happy -- nay, ecstatic! -- to see Vampire go. As far as White Wolf games go, I've found that Vampire possesses the single most static, stagnant story of all possible game lines... after all, what's the fun in playing a game which fairly explicitly states that the PCs will never have the power to have any real impact on the overall politics and shape of the world?

Of course, if you were a psychologist, you would blame this on my multitude of bad experiences with Vampire in the past... but that would be foolish, as I'm not the sort of person to let a few idiots (people I've gamed with) ruin my view of a game. I own the 2nd edition Vampire core book, and I've thoroughly read the Revised core book, and I have to say that I am still unimpressed. The players are still relegated to the roles of helpless pawns, watching their sires and the other elders perform the intricate dance of politics while they go out and run errands for those with more power.

Bah... I don't remember where this message was supposed to be going... so I'll just stop now before I confuse myself or anyone else.

~Doctor Flossenstein

you're not the only one, i'd throw a block party if vampire went!!! i have to agree with you though about the plot, not only does it hold you down, but the way the clans are set up it's even more restrictive than your average run-of-the-mill splat... i for one would be dancing on vampire's grave...

I actually like V:tM... :blush

And WoD as a concept.... :blush

Then again, right now I´m more into Aberrant and Earthdawn. I´ll start up a new story in Aberrant (running from 2004 to the War) in the next few weeks.

It´ll center initially on Church of Michael Archangel and Church of Astaroth...kinda want to get some morality issues into focus early on.

:xmas

• 1 month later...

Gather round children, for the high preist of annoyance will now speak to you.  ::priest

Yea, once did the god of annoyance, Zombie Jesus, make the WW forums tremble with his harsh logical shredding of the crap that is Vampire, and verily did he piss off many wish-they-were-Goths. ::devil

But lo he was struck down by a fendish plot, wherein he was offered a Moderator position with the Pale Puppy, and as an arm of the Puppy's PR, was forced by his Mercenary Code to at least pretend to tolerate the crap that is the Vampire. ::baaa

But yea did the Zombie see through the guile, and did reincarnate as Operations, who did work to break their system from within, for the online game did suck and have NPC's that were really the ST's PCs. But the beast would not die, and Operations did leave to ponder a better plan. ::sly

And lo if Operations did not have to open his mouth in protest of what was done to his character for not following online game rules more voluminous than the entire codes of American Congress. And lo if Operations was not struck from the Puppy's fourm, and forced to re-incarnate again as Ops_V2.0. ::devil

And now children, Operations is both avatar of annoyance and preist as well, and he does tend his flock and make them strong for the day when they shall go forth and tell the Pale Puppy en masse to shove the crap that is Vampire back whence it did come!  ::priest

[The above is not meant to imply that I am a cult leader per se, just that it happens that I get in that position a lot... ]

• 3 weeks later...

[note to self: Kill Joseph for bringing up the Fish.]

Ginger was the player of the Neo-psion in my Trinity TT game. She had odd habits of buying people strage things. For me, she liked to buy me ANYTHING related to fish. Fish Beanies, Pencils, Erasers, Dicebags (they make em! the horror! ), Glass Statuettes, real fish (that I killed... slowly by starvation...) , whatever. Finally, my 'office' (i.e. the gaming dungeon in the basement of my home) was so festooned with Fish that my minions started calling me the Dark Lord of the Fish.

Ginger moved to Seattle before I could kill her and hide the body.

::eoncon03 IN LANSING!!!

Archived