Demon: The Fallen

CHILL

My only concern is that its just another secret revealed. The world of darkness is best when its all about secrets, its also always had an underlying religious theme and demons are a great example of this, they're good when they're used in the background.

My opinion is it'll just turn into another game that ruins a great setting a little more and devotes precious development and production money that could be better spent elsewhere (a la Hunter: The Reckoning)

Mal, by the last comment do you mean 'yet another, like Hunter was' or 'more money on Hunter'?

Anyways, expanding the question, does anyone think that the game will sell well, feel free to keep guessing what you think the game will be like of course.

• 1 month later...

I'm willing to at least wait and see what it is about since no one is really sure. It doesn't mean I'm going to buy it but I would like to at least hold judgement for a little while.

It just does seem like more money blown on something that most people are not interested in. 90% of the comments I've seen on this idea are horribly negative.

I guess I'm the 10%.

I just can't stand it that WW drags more money away from good game lines into something most people don't want to see.  

No Sheep

I've got to ask myself the question "do we need a game whee players can be demons?" Wraith was great for playing the "other side" but demon come on . Really what next Waiter the Serving. Yea you to can play one of the rival clans of fast food chain employees. The mcdonalds have the ability to count spare change in 5 minutes. The Burger Kings can flame you to death. Wait after you buy the game a new revised edition will be out. :Devil

. Really what next Waiter the Serving. Yea you to can play one of the rival clans of fast food chain employees. The mcdonalds have the ability to count spare change in 5 minutes. The Burger Kings can flame you to death. Wait after you buy the game a new revised edition will be out. :Devil

*Yawn.* Come up with an original argument that actually gives real reasons for concern, please, rather than recycling old "jokes" that weren't funny when they were originally made. :sarcasm

Oh, yeah, and I'm no longer a rookie! WOOHOO! :tounge2

• 4 weeks later...

Eeek! The demon idea sounds really bad...

It might attract new players though... I'm not quite as 'anti Hunter' as everyone else seems to be... I thought it was okay...

*DUCKS FROM THE VARIOUS SPEARS NOW FLYING AT HER*

None of the WOD games since Vampire have really been outstanding anyway...

*DUCKS FROM THE VARIOUS SPEARS NOW FLYING AT HER*

Changeling and Wraith are cool but they require a good GM and sensible (read non D&D?  :)  ) players. Mage is a nice idea, but I prefered Hunter, which was more like what I expected from Mage. (Bad english)

Werewolf was 'quaint', although I admit I don't really know much about it.

...And that's just about alienated me from most WW fans...  :)

grrr... more stupid wod games? :sneaky2 when will the pain end? personally i think ww should cut back just a tad on the games aimed at spooky kids and work a little on the others... who knows, maybe the trin sales would jump if new stuff came out every once in a while...

-harle

The only thing if interest in the World of Darkness is.. oh wait.. there's nothing much of interest now.   They're just sucking and sucking and trying to leech as much money as they can out of tired old concepts.

Blah.   :Sleepy

I want more Trinity, damnit.

AND you shall get more Trinity!

Well, OK, it isn't official canon or anything, but India Underground, Psi Order Chitra Bhanu and Bharati Comonwealth region sourcebook is underway.

Track down the India Underground thread in the 'Trinity' category on these forums for more info.

;)

(Welcome abord by the way! )

I thinkd they changed it bcause i don't see "Demon: the fallen" there is "Demon God's fane" I don't know what the hellit's suposed to be may be they re tought the consept because they realized the bible belt would protest.  I don't know if this is true But The guy at the game store I used to go to in Virgina when I was in the milllitary said that a local church was protesting out side of the store when the sabat book came out or something like that.  They claimed the store was a den of evil untill some of the church elders walked by with boxes under their arms, went inside to one of the gaming tables and started to set up for a cival war miniture game.  Needless to say the church group left and didn't bother the store again.

I still play a couple of WoD games: Mage and Werewolf. I'm actually a pretty big Mage-fan. Unfortunately, I have a feeling WW is making a lot of bad marketting decisions as far as their WoD stuff goes. They really hurt the Mage canon when they released Hunter... the sort of changes I've ignored. I, for one, have no interest in Hunter or Demon. For me, Mages and Shapeshifters are more than enough to make the world go 'round.

I never liked the idea of Hunter. I always thought that that was what all their already existing 'hunter-groups' (like the Inquisition, or Euthanatos, or even the Nagah) were for. Likewise, The splat for Demon just makes it sound like the concept would work better by playing some poor sod who got turned into a Vampire and never wanted to be. Do we really need to revisit that idea, too?  ???

No, but that want to water it down!

Why do they not realise tht=at releasing watered down games in masses will mean that the sales of each individual game will fall and that each book will become less and less profitable as every WoDer will have their "favourite" game - when in reality the differences between many of them are rapidly becoming purely cosmetic.

• 1 month later...

:withstupid I am not a huge WOD fan, like some others have mentioned Mage isn't bad and a one of the people in my gaming group is going to run a Werewolf game but for the most part WW seems more intrested in flooding more supernatural stuff and ignore the SF people.  My group has come up with a guy named  Bob, Bob is the only normal human on the planet and it is for his benefit that they keep the masqurade (think I misspelled that) going.  The amount of Supernatural creatures and the like running around WOD seems like everybody is something other that human that has been around for thousands of years but only now are they interacting.  At least trinity makes sense for the most part

:devil

• 2 months later...

Hey all, first-time poster, but I've been hanging around the Adventure! Boards for quite a bit. Finally decided to get registered. ^_^

Okay, on to the Topic.

I'm looking foreward to Demon: The Fallen, without speculating on what it's impact will be on the Role-playing community (" The Christian Right's gonna burn us all! "), or weither it is a cheap knock-off of game X or game Y. None of that really matters to me. What really matters is how the game is run. A good ST/GM/DM can make anything seem exciting and entertaining.

I'm a fan both the WoD and Aeon game lines. I picked up Aeon before they slaped those horrid little stickers on the cover. I fell in love with Adventure! (looking forward to Trial by Fire) and Exalted around the same time. Games are just a matter of taste. Some people hate SLA Industries, I find it to be violent, campy fun. Some people loathe Cybergeneration, I'm converting it to Aeon/Trinity version of the ST system.

I love role-playing games. I haven't actually read one that I wouldn't want to play at least once, Demon: The Fallen not excluded.

heya voter, and everyone else, taking a break from the studying (which is gonna keep me up wayyy past my bedtime this evening) and figured i'd wiegh in on this just for giggles.

on the whole hunter/ demon thing, i'm with a lot of others when i think "hmm, fun idea, poor execution". and i think i fall in with many many more people when i say i like mage above most wod games. oh, by the by, was i the only one who enjoyed changeling? i really thought that was cool, the ultimate lighthearted fun fest of a game (assuming you played it that way). anyway, demon, eh, sounds like a neat idea, but it messes two things up. one, vampire has already done demons, not directly, but theres all kinds of info on them through the various books. yeah i get this is a little different but it none the less gets filed away in my brain under "hmm, haven't i read that supplement before?". the second thing is, given all the different world outlooks presented in wod (both real-life and mystical) it seems to want to validate one a little too heavily for my tastes. unless they are gonna try to pull that whole "well we aren't *really* talking about jehova per se, just something that looks and acts a whole lot like him and happens to fit the bill for the judeo christian divinity". as for hunter, i *know* i read that supplement before. it was called demon HUNTER x. and it was fun, goofy and gun toatingly fun, but fun nonetheless. uhm, thats my pound and a half i guess, hmm, that was a lot longer than i intended ::blush ahh well, later all

jake

• 4 months later...

I think it's important to not judge a product before we got it.....Demon : The Fallen may be a good game..but it may be too a good source of reference for backgroung...I've always see the products of WoD like a source of reference....it's complexity and richesse offer for the neonate of history ...a great source of history lesson.....So it might be the same for Demon :the Fallen.....for the people who don't know a thing about religion....I can not say a lot agbout there background because I didn't read it...but i guess,..if White Wolf is loyal to it philosophy..that the content will be rich in information

Lazarus ::devil

Laz - if you're looking for a history lession and a role playing game in one - might i recommend ars magica and some of the gurps stuff.  WW does try - but you do tend to get a bit of a historical hodgepodge of stuff often without the solid background that you'd get if you took a bit of time to study the period.  That said - they are nice for a little bit of flavour - if you're not interested in going further with it.

-knave

Knave,

[That said - they are nice for a little bit of flavour - if you're not interested in going further with it.

]

Like you wrote...You are right about that....like i said....WoD it a good source of référence because at the end of each book..it has historical books references.......If a GM want to know better..he have to dig a little bit..do his homework....But when a student (I'm a historien and I teach also history....in Montreal)  who play RPG want to learn and have fun in the same time...(I told them to check the reference in the back of each volume....not to believe in what WoD have to propose...) RPG it'S a start....Myself, i start to love history by playing Dungeons and Dragons...while i was a teenager....a not so long time ago....I think

A firend of mine told me about Ars Magica...but i didn't really explore the univers...is it great?  ::lookaround

Knave, again you are  right about the work that has to be done by the GM for a solid background.......Fortunatly for me...i'm a historian...so i ghave a lot and a lot of document at my hands.... :)

LAzarus

:0 Wow, I seem to be in the minority here; I still like WW stuff (most of it anyway)(and I still won't forgive them for ending Trinity production so soon :angry: ) and am anxiously awaiting DtF! When I look at all the posts of people that expect it to be crap, it makes me look at why I am so excited about it. I have no real reason to (I know almost nothing about it), except for it's a new and interesting idea. It's kinda kid-like with me I think. Believe me I know how easy it is to get jaded after 10-20 years of RPing, but I think I've gotten over it. (I'm not saying that's the only reason to disagree with me here, if you don't like it, you don't like it. I'm just saying I understand.) If my local game store has the game in tomorrow (It comes out this week!!  ::smiley1 ), I'm going to go in, look at it, and if it doesn't suck, I'll buy it.

I also noticed some people mentioning how demons are better as background, or that this reveals more secrets. Ok, that's fine if you prefer that, you certainly don't have to play it, or even read it. But personally I see each WW game as separate, and they don't have to coincide with each other. If I play VtM, for instance, werewolves aren't usually very complex, just the occasional antagonist, a bad puppy to be put down. By the same token, if I'm playing werewolf, leeches are just one more measly hoard of agents for the wyrm to be put down (I hope I'm not coming across as a munchkin here, I do prefer complex plots and role-playing, hence my obvious interest in Trinity! ) So for me, even if I play Demon, it won't change anything for me when I go back to the other games because demons aren't neccesarily like that. But they could be, and that could be fun too, like vampire-werewolf cross games, or mage-changeling, or Abberant-Streetfighter (oops, ok, maybe not that one! )  ::hehe

Plus, from what I have read on the website about the game, it kinda seems a bit like the vampire theme of "You're a vampire. How do you deal with that?" except now your a demon, kicked out of heaven (or something like that), how do you deal with that? I can think of SO many ways to play that, so many angles to explore, so many stories to tell. I think it'll be cool. ::thumbs-up

::bananagrenade

Man, I love these monkies! Who keeps coming up with them?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so the game is out now and we've all had some time to look it over. I'm far from done reading the book yet, but I wanted to see if anyone else had actually picked it up, and if so what you think of it so far.

It seems to me that they have put the usual amount of WW time into developing a huge background for it...  ::devilangel

Ok...

I've always see the products of WoD like a source of reference....it's complexity and richesse offer for the neonate of history ...a great source of history lesson.

No offense to anyone, but anyone that gets their history from RPG's is very much like a person trying to learn electrical wiring from the Amish.

As for thoughts on Demon, I glanced at it briefly and decided if I want my Judeo-Christian mythology game, I'll go with In Nomine or The End. I got an interesting chuckle when the guy at the game store said, "Yeah, Demon is a great Novel. Wonder why they ruined it with game mechanics in the middle..."

Hye operations I have to argue against that. Yes the history put forth in the WoD games is fiction, but only partiallyl. Though there wasn't a secretive group of Vampires behind the Crusades they still occurred. I think that WoD can spark the imagination of a gamer to then go and research aspects of history. BTW the reason that I say WoD can be good for the novice history student is that it helped me out alot in learnign about the history of the world, and when used in conjunction with my regular history classes I was able to absorb large quantities of historical fact. It may not be an acceptable substitute for knowing the truth about history it is certainly a start.

-Pax

Archived