Exalted:  Is it all that?

CHILL

I bought the hardback Exalted basic book - but for some reason I simply can't get into it....

In all fariness, I'm not a fan of things even remotely manga related (eg the artwork, the final fantasy alike limit break rules etc)......

But, WW have placed a notice saying that its their fastest selling game....  so........

Who else has bought - what are your takes on the game........  what am I missing about this thing??!?!?!

Cheers

Interestingly enough, not a day after I posted this thread, the UK 'Starlog' Magazine has a review of Exalted in its Games section..... (erm, page 92, top left).....

Quotes include:

"Despite its rich background, exalted is about combat.  About a third of the 340-page book is taken up with rules for the Final Fantasy VII style battles between the Exalted"

"The individual chapters of the book are well-written, but they are badly organised and jargon from other WoD games appears and isn't explained"

"The rough editing is irritating, but it can be lived with"

"With White Wolf's experience at designing RPG's, Exalted should prove popular with both PlayStation fans and traditional roleplayers alike."  

Review by 'RC'

Seems to day it all - and I got slammed on the WW forums for likening Exalted to Final Fantasy!

Its got a Limit Break and everything for heavens sake  :Dozing Off

• 3 weeks later...

I like Exalted. White wolf has made a very interesting fantasy setting, IMHO. Not only is the world of Exalted related to World of Darkness and most of the other storyteller games, they have also managed to create a world with thousands of opportunities for the storyteller to create exiting scenarios.

I really like the spells in exalted. I think that the creators of exalted have managed to make the magic an integrated part of the setting, and they have even managed to make the spells seem epic, new and stylish.

It is true that Exalted is mainly about combat, but I think that most fantasy games are about combat. The main difference, as I see it, is that in exalted you fight for a reason other than just earning more XP or simply because the monster happens to be in a dungeon.

Matias - Who really likes Exalted...  :Alient

I have to admit that I only have played Exalted a couple of times, but it seems that the game and the setting simply has alot more to offer than other fantasy games that I have played in the past - And I have played quite alot of different games in the last 15-16 years.

The only disadvantage I think that Exalted has, is the slow combat system that is common to all storytelling games.

Matias -  :sly

oooooohhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeessssssssss yyyyyouuuuuuuuuuuu aaaaaaaaaarrrrreeeeeeeee!

admin, followed by his horde of shadowy demon type follower grab Matias when he's looking the other way and drag him over to the Trinity A-Z and Adventure! chigaco online games on the Europnet Forums................

heh

:Devil

Here's a yes vote from me for Exalted. I like the combat stuff simply because it's so cool, but my style is to preserve that coolness by reserving it for special occasions. That's the thing, in this game any fight is either against a foe who is just as godly as you, or it's against someone who doesn't realise how tough you are. Either way, it's always a plot point, not just another random encounter.

By the way, Limit Breaks share two things in common with their Final Fantasy namesakes- the name, and they are triggered by emotional stress, which can be anger. That's it. They don't let you do really nasty things to your enemies, although they might get rid of any inhibitions about doing so. Heck, I don't think anything like Heart of Tears would make for a good "attack" in a videogame.

• 1 month later...
:pukesmiley   :pukesmiley   :pukesmiley

read it, didn't buy it, didn't like it... waaaaayyyyy too many rules... i prefer a simpler game where you can grab the basic rules and go... for me it's all about setting (which i didn't like) and the game must catch my imagination (it didn't)... well that's my negative commentary for the night...

-harle

Exalted is *okay*, I guess.  I really liked it at first, but now my liking has cooled.  The power system is basically a watered down version of Aberrant.   You might as well just use Aberrant only adapt it to a fantasy setting.

My favorite WW game continues to be Trinity, because it's the one hard Sci-Fi game, and it's material has always been top-notch.  Just about the only book that I haven't liked thus far was "Hidden Agendas".

Exalted could be interesting if you watched a whole lot of Lodoss Wars.

Admin, you're not alone in not being able to "get into" the game. I bought it too, on a whim, but there just seems to be something "off" about it. I haven't played it yet, but from reading it, it doesn't seem to have the same fluid feel that some other games have. Maybe it was just put together weird or something.

It's kind of clunky, mechanically.  Craploads of Charms that are organized into complicated trees of prerequisites and excessively flowery names, half a dozen dice rolls  needed per character every combat turn, huge dice pools, too many different virtues...

It's just not put together well.  There's nothing simple and intutive about it.  It needs to be setup more like Disciplines, or Quantum powers... you know? The latter two are easy to follow, the names convey exactly what the powers do, and it's an easy linear progression.

I do like the setting, though, especially since stuff is out in the open, there's none of the ultra secret dark evil conspiracy crap.  And the idea of the characters all being God-touched  or direct servants of the Gods is cool.

Gotta say I like Exalted!  :)

I love anime though so I'm bias...

It's not a perfect system and yeah, the limit break thing is a bit crappy but the magic system rocks! It's like how magic should be (for me), lots of grand rituals and sweeping gestures! None of your DnD "Sleep" spells or similar!

One other thing in it's favour is the setting... That is cool....

I'm not about to turn traitor on Trinity though!  :)

• 1 month later...

White Wolf is going straight to an English teacher's class for releasing this POS mockery of a game!  Its the worst game in the whole bloody world... I own it (my brother kind of lauded it upon me... and now he's gone and ordered me the Dragon Blooded book).  IT... SUCKS!  I didn't even want to play it, but my brother was like "well... maybe you'll like it... so we'll play a game of it."

High-LORD did it suck!  It's ONLY about combat!  There is *zero* plot.  Trust me... when you kill a Deathlord twice in as many sessions it gets old quick--not to mention thousands of undead hordes, a bunch of Abyssals and some Fair Folk.

DO... NOT... BUY... THIS... GAME!

Aside from the straight up HORRIBLE-NESS of this game, there comes its relations to the other games:

IT RAPES THE WORLD OF DARKNESS TO DEATH AND THEN EATS ITS CHILDREN!  I mean, some might argue that WoD isn't the best thing to start with... well, I'm talking about before they talk you EVERYTHING THAT EVER HAPPENED IN IT BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF TIME, back when the WoD had a solid foundation of mystery and awesomeness.

Yeah, Exalted's like, "All that mystery--the Technocracy just made it up... here's the real truth, laid out with page numbers."

So, uh... what was I saying... oh yeah:  EXALTED SUCKS!  BUY LOTS OF TRINITY BOOKS AND EAT VEGEMITE TOAST!!!

-Breearg

:rolleyes  (an exalted)

:alien  (an aberrant)

:alien  KILLS THE STUPID BLOODY NASTY SMELLY  :rolleyes

• 1 month later...

K....

So I see that there are those who don't actually like Exalted.  Hmmm...interesting.  Seems I have heard similar comments before -- about the "Aeoniverse" line.  Only that time it was the WoD Fans.

Well...I do like it.  Been running it for a little over a year now.  It has good potential, both combat and non-combat wise.  The Charms are not all about combat -- Quite a few are definately "out-of-combat", such as speeding up the wheels of a beauracracy {Charm: Speed the Wheels, under Bureaucracy} or sailing your ship closer to the wind than normal {Charm: Wind-Defying Course Technique, under Sail}.  Not very combat oriented, eh?

The story background is huge, with the characters literally being able to do great things.  To paraphrase the developer: "The characters take on rolls where they can shape the course of history, form kingdoms, conquer lands and become a force of good for the world."

I know that not everyone likes Exalted - just as everyone doesn't like the "Aeoniverse" {Gasp -- NO!!!....but I do...played since "Aeon" came out...}.  What I'm saying is give it a chance.  When you tell people not to buy it...well, your hurting the company that is making your favorite games {I will assume that everyone here is at least nominally fans of a portion of the Aeoniverse}.  Hurt their pocket book and they go out of business {Or get bought up by the "Magicians of the Bay"}.  I don't like some of the WoD, and I've put my 23 cents in on various posts at the WW Forum {Been a while though..}.  But I try not to put WW out of business.

Anyway...enough about all that.  Exalted is to me a very good Fantasy Roleplaying Game.  You don't have to even connect it with the WoD.  Heck...last year, around July/August, the Developer of the "Trinity Line" postulated {after conversations with Mr Grabowski, the Exalted Developer} that Exalted may be the "Pre-Cursor" to the Aeoniverse.  Wouldn't that be something.  In fact....it could be the Precursor to both the WoD & the Aeoniverse.  But as a ST you don't have to go with either.  Use it as a Fantasy game and ignore the WoD -- I do, and it works great.  Finally, a game where the characters can actually do something with their characters without having to wade through dozens of opponents to gain a level.  Instead they can easily get involved in Intrigue, Merchanteering, Romance, or dozens of other endeavors -- whatever the ST & Players want.

So...in closing -- if you don't like it, then cool.  If you do...then cool also.  Me...I like it -- it's better than the "d20 + a few extra other dice" game.

Nadrakas...."Roleplaying is but another look into our own Minds."

Actually, whether I buy all the Exalted books or convince everyone in the whole world to dislike Exalted it doesn't have an effect on the Aeonverse b/c of WW's policy of "game lines supporting themselves." Only sale of Aeonverse will get me more Aeonverse.  No sale of Exalted won't put WW out of business--it will put *Exalted* on the cancel list.  As a note...

-Breearg

True Breearg,

Your right.  If Exalted goes under it wouldn't have an affect on the Aeonverse - at least not directly.  It would, on the other hand, affect WW itself.  Imagine...they've poured a lot of money into Exalted.  If it goes belly up then it will hurt the company, which would indirectly affect the Aeonverse.  Layoffs in a small company are a bad thing, considering may of the employees do work on different projects.

I hope that all of the WW lines do well.  The better they do...well, I'm sure that WW does shunt off money in good times to the lines that don't sell as well.  No matter what WW says about "game lines supporting themselves", it makes good business sense to keep your customer's happy.  The lack of Customer Support is a part of what put TSR out of business - and many other game companies over time.

Of course, for now, books for the Aeonverse are being produced about as fast as Molasses flowing uphill in the dead of winter.  :cry

I don't buy everything the WW puts out -- some of it just isn't up to snuff {Mainly some of the WoD books}.  But...WW is better than most game companies.

Not lambasting you...just a comment.

Nadrakas..."Look at me...I'm a 30th Level Utopian in the d20 Version of Aberrant.  Now the d20 system has WAY to many rules."

• 1 month later...

Call me the resuerrector of dead threads. . .

Initially I had a lot of your misgivings Chill when I first took a peek at Exalted. I am most definitely _not_ an annie-may/manga fan (I find some of the more hard-core fans in my area. . . distasteful to say the least), but I do groove on Heroic Fantasy in the vein of Robert E. Howard and Michael Moorcock, and the early ads and the flash promo got my attention. So I picked up a copy of the unlimited edition and sat down and read it. As a side note, I'm generally a superhero/horror nut when it comes to RPGs. Not a big fan of fantasy roleplay, don't play ps2 rpgs or any of that junk. And-- unlike the  majority of the RPG community at large who will no doubt forsake me for this I *GASP* don't like D&D, I find the endless rules, rules, rules to be extremely boring and I need setting to go with my framework. Probably the reason my copy of the 3rd Ed. Players Guide a friend bought me makes a lovely coaster on my coffee table. So, with all those misgivings and opinions did I crack open that copy of Exalted and began to read.

And I dug it. Big time. Flawed but powerful ((jeez _murphy_ can they be powerful) heroes in a very big, very impressive looking world with cool weapons. The writing was crisp, the art boss and while the rules are a little much at times, I dug the--I don't know if sincerity is the right word--but the feeling that the creators were a bunch of folks sitting down, throwing around ideas and putting something really cool together.

Now, the common complaint is that the Solar Exalted (the major-league protagonists of the Exalted world) are an insanely powerful PC group for players to play can be partially addressed by the _awesome_ Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded hardback. Chill, I'd like to suggest that maybe you bug a friend who has a copy and read this before going back to Exalted proper. . .it might be more your cup of tea. I love the Terrestrial Exalted/Dragon-Blooded Dynasts. They've just got this whole Jedi/Melnibonean/"bad" good guy vibe that really got my creative engine revving. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Solar Exalted, but to me one of the great appeals of RPGs is playing the underdog (okay, so Aberrant is my one big exception to the rule. I'm not made of stone), and DB are at once immensely powerful and yet the least among the Exalted. That's just so cool.

So my vote is Yea for Exalted. Is it perfect? Nope. But it's good fun. Give it a chance Chill, you might be pleasantly surprised. I was.

-Defender. ::bigsmile

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really consider Exalted WoD. I only have two of the books, the main book and Scavanger Sons, both bought used. (I _do not_ buy anything but Aeonverse new from WW anymore, and will get that used if I can find it. I do not believe in supporting a company that treats it's customer base like [censored] any more than I have to.) I find it ok, and something to play in this area when I need to just find a "quick game group" but don't want to play d20 D&D (which is also ok... been considering using it to make a Fallout TT game...).

However, I did really like the fact that you could buy a skill specialization seperate of the main skill (for example, only having skill in swords andno other Melee), and I liked the "rule of 10" in Exalted I use it in Trinity, ability Qualities work like skill speciaizations then. (Some time I really need to post my Trinity house rules online...)

It's not Trinity, but it's a damn sight better than Vampire...

• 1 year later...

UPDATE!

I have now run a few games. 13 in fact, coming up on number 14.

Once you get into it, and have someone running it that doesn't focus on the combat aspcets (like any game can be ruined that way Breearg, I've played a Trinity game that fell the same way) it can be fully enjoyable.

In the 13 games so far, they have forged alliances, ran from Things That Should Not Be, drank wine in a Fae house, saved a city from a demon, only to lose it to a Sidereal that could not let Solars have access to that kind of power, and came to understand that killing is not the best option as every body and soul can become fodder for the armies of the dead.

I've gotten so interested in the so called not there metaplot that I've bought all 5 hardcover corebooks. The metaplot is there, but instead of forcing you down a path like WoD (and even Trinity) it is instead snapshots of different points in time to use as plot ideas that logically fit the setting as written. Which means, if you want to do your own thing (like me) it's really easy without having some player tell you you're doing it wrong.

Overall, I myself give the gameline 8/10. Trinity got 9/10 for reference. (Only two games have ever gotten a 10/10 from me, Tribe 8 and Adventure!)

I was sketchy on it at first. Then Pestilence ran a game for us. (Our normal method of dropping a lot of rules and dice rolling in favor of keeping things fast and loose applied.) Boy, were we surprised. It ran great!

Unfortunately, due to scholastic concerns, the game has been put on hold. Should we have time, though, I'm sure we'll be throwing down E style again.

I officially rank this game up there with Trinity, Adventure, and Shadowrun. ::thumbsup

• 3 weeks later...

I have exalted. The combat rules are very extensive, as was said. I've never played it unfortunately, as the others in my group aren't interested, so I use it simply for the combat rules. I liked it when reading through it, wouldn't mind playing it. The ideas are very interesting, and I used some of them in my WoD games.

It's a very interesting concept to look at, simply for what came before WoD...

Anywho, I'll stop now before I start rambling... or something or other.

Cheers,

SnakeEyes

• 3 months later...

When our Trinity group went down and gone into hibernation, we decided to try something else, Exalted. Now, somewhat about 8 month later and at weekly meetings, i think i can say that Exalted makes fun. I had some difficulties to get used to it ( manga and anime aren´t my favorites, too), but if your GM is one of the more creative type, it will never be boring. The possibilities are enormous, the GM just have to pick up some of the many possibilities and on it goes. From me a big Yeah. ::smile

Archived