10 Role-Playiong Commndments

CHILL

My personal favorites include:

=================================

- Be Nice to newcomers

- HAVE FUN!

- The Storyteller doesn't kill characters - players kill characters.

- Communicate

- Play fair/ No Cheating

- Drama before Mechanics (Story comes before rules)

- Respect the Storyteller

- Teamwork (no ego-whores allowed)

- RELAX - ITS JUST A FRIGGIN' GAME!

==================================

Any other good ones?

I would have prioritized the list differently than Div, but I've got to admit it's a darned good list.

We like to try and make sure that any debates happen either befoer or after the game. Different points of view on details are fine, but they should never be allowed to interfere with the fun that everyone is sharing. After the game works well, because nobody goes home feeling like they've been railroaded. Before the game works well, too, because folk have had a chance to think aoubt things in the interrum.

---

As far as doing things Sneered Mal's way... do I have to get out my poker again? ::smiley8

hehehe....

i agree with the above tho one i have recently discovered as being the chick running a game of 6 guys is boys will be boys and testosterone will always run rampant....*sigh*

==============================================

::baaa  "Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic."

Welcome aboard, Sanctity! Hope you enjoy our special brand of madness here. (BTW, his name is Senior Mal.)  ::withbeer

To stay on topic, here's what I generally go by:

-Fek the dice. They only get in the way of a good story.

-Fek the rules. They only get in the way of a good story.

-Make the players think you really know what's going on, but let them do all the work. (They'd ruin a good story otherwise.)

Make you guys fel sorry for my players yet?  :D

-Joseph

Señor Mauled, Sneer Molly, Sinner Malted, it's all the same to me. Him and Mr. Flamey can play with each other all they want to.

::downmal

I've just got to jump on the bandwagon with my patented "make the rules serve the story, never make the story serve the rules" bit. Joseph and Divas Mal are spot on when it comes to this philosophy. We're not about RPing the recognizers in a video game, now are we?

heh, interesting point joe makes about players screwing up a good story. i tend to agree, as players only really follow the story's lead about a third of the time. not that you can't still have a good story, but you end up having to strongarm the thing in a lot of instances if you plan it too carefully.

on st's killing players, i make two exceptions (keep in mind i've only ever killed 3 player characters in game, and i've been st'ing a long time) one: if its dramatically appropriate or otherwise integral to the game. i had to do this once and the player and i had a long discussion beforehand about how it would go. two: if the player ignores blatant st warning. this happens more infrequently, but it still happens. there's an epidemic among most games that i've seen for chars to try things they have no chance in hell of accomplishing and then running scared from what are genuinely st dramatic effects(i'm guilty of this too, theres just something about in game dynamic that occasionally messes with ya). for instance, when i warn a player once, twice, three times that x action is unadvised and may result in his untimely death and or injury...then i feel he's fair game if the dice don't fall his way.

then again, i use brownie points and other such nonesense, so even when this happens players have some wiggle room to get out of it. cest la vive

jake

I would have prioritized the list differently than Div, but I've got to admit it's a darned good list.

We like to try and make sure that any debates happen either befoer or after the game. Different points of view on details are fine, but they should never be allowed to interfere with the fun that everyone is sharing. After the game works well, because nobody goes home feeling like they've been railroaded. Before the game works well, too, because folk have had a chance to think aoubt things in the interrum.

---

As far as doing things Sneered Mal's way... do I have to get out my poker again? ::smiley8

I never prioritized my list.

No, I didn't have to reply to this.

Yes, I am an obsessive geek.

And, no your momma doesn't mind.

::malrules

As one obsessive geek to another, you may not have prioritized your list, but there was an order to it, wasn't there? Perhaps the order that you believed to be random was, in fact, subconsciously prioritized! ::alien

It's this kind of paranoia that keeps me carefully prioritizing every list I make. ::hehe

As far as whether or not my momma minds, I moved out in '79. Yes, I'm not only an obsessive geek, I'm a crotchety crumudgeon as well.

::downmal

I still liked your list.

::withbeer

• 2 weeks later...

::sneaky I see, well if thats the kind of comments I'm subjected to maybe I won't bother sending you all your Merry Malmas cards this year

::music Chestnuts roasting on my open palm , monkeys nipping at my toes, though its been said many times many ways, Merry Malmas to you

As for the kinder surprise, the chocolates all yours Shellfish monkey, as long as I get the toys

Seeing as we're still on the topic of Roleplaying Commandment's i'd like to add,

Smart ar*e palyers are likely to receive a blow to the head from a lowflying cottage.

When buying beer for the session make sure to factor in an extra 30% solely for the GM/ST.

Buying the GM/ST chocky bars and bags of crisps, when he's skint is worth an extra (fate point/15 nova points/6 rerolls of any dice/bracers of defence vs cottages) delete as appropriate for game system.

keep finding ones that my players have lost...

No such luck here. We rarely game at my place, and we only use my dice. ::huh

perhaps for my upcoming game, certain players may want to sacrifice thai food and chai tea to me...  

Egads! After that last session you ran, Harle, we'll want to sacrifice a whole Starbucks to you.  ::crazy

:D

-Joseph

Archived