Sh*tty Aeon Metaplot

CHILL

I always read that as really high latency, one of the major factors they were chosen as the heads of their respective orders. I wouldn't contribute it to being psiads, personally.

If you read deeply enough, it also moves along similar lines for Otha. He seems to have a knack (pardon the pun) for being where he's needed to get him to more fully understand his later situation. It's a bit more ambiguous, but so is Clairsentience.

-Joseph

I only counted high latency as one of the major contributing factors. Personality, goals, steadfastness, leadership qualities were all probably included in there. ( Though Zweidler failed a number of just those included! )

All that the high latency I mentioned really means is that Atwan was the best of the best. Or at least the only one that responded of the top three.  ;)

-Joseph

no one seems to question where the damn tanks you dunk your latents in come from, surely people would have noticed it's a bit technologically advanced?\"

Yeah, and like how would you plug the damn things in?  :)  I'm sure the Doyen are a little beyond 2/3 pin wall plugs...

Chloe.

Yet one more example of WHY no one should screw around with electricity unless they have PROPER TRAINING!

::smiley6

Six out of eight proxies are depicted as having "power flare-ups" prior to going to that fateful tea-party on Luna. (The other two have not yet been depicted in their own source-books.) The Trinity Player's guide specifically states that they were genetically goosed by the Doyen on top of this. Hyper-strong latency? Maybee. Or maybee a reaction to an as-yet-undisclosed Doyen probing technique? ::alien

Good memory and thoughts, Thingmaker! I hadn't thought about the snotballs screwing with the proxies beforehand. Makes sense, though. Imagine the other "experiments" that failed their initial probing. Those could be great fun as villians.

::devil

BTW, I know better than to play with electricity. After I got the feeling back in my tongue (took three hours), I learned my lesson.  ::rolleyes

-Joseph

• 1 month later...

I would like to add a note to the previous statement about psiads and teleportation, psiads can indeed learn teleportation they just cannot be specialized in teleportation (and thus are limited to 3 in all teleportation modes) You were right on about the quantakinesis wich is written away as advanced research. :)

this is a bit of a far reach but follow me on it if you can. The core states that the proxies are the ones contacted by the Doyen who showed up... In A!, I can't remember specifics there are Mesmerist knacks that don't fit into any of the Aptitudes... Could those be early forms of Aptitudes that there were individuals capable of who just didn't visit the Doyen? Or could they be the "failed experiments" seen above... Here is where my brain gets rolling. (Yes I know I may just be stating the obvious) There are individuals out there that are severely disfunctional with previously unheard of powers (perheps even stragly high power levels) that don't register taint. hmm I think I am gonna have some fun with this one...

-Paxs Pimp

Should be easy enough to explain that one, Grandmaster Pimp. Follow my logic here. (Providing that: 1. I'm using logic, 2. you can make sense of what I'm saying.  :) )

The bit about the proxies is great stuff for getting the ol' grey matter working. Makes you wonder if there were better candidates out there for the job. (Zweidler comes to mind here.) I'm not big on there being other aptitudes out there that we didn't know about, simply because I think the Doyen would have hoodwinked someone into proxy position for everything they needed.

As for the unheard of powers, I attribute this to the wonderful maleability of psi. Think about all the aptitudes. How many modes resemble each other, or accomplish a similar task as another mode under the same aptitude? Expand that to contain all aptitudes. There's so much cross-over between powers that I think it was all the Doyen could do to calcify each aptitude without really doing damage during the dunking process.

-Joseph

I'm not big on there being other aptitudes out there that we didn't know about, simply because I think the Doyen would have hoodwinked someone into proxy position for everything they needed

I am not so sure about that. They were willing to let the Chibs fade into non-existance. Perhaps there are modes that they thought were a greater risk than Quanta-Kenisis...

I'm not big on there being other aptitudes out there that we didn't know about, simply because I think the Doyen would have hoodwinked someone into proxy position for everything they needed

I have often wondered about that. It strikes me as odd that for such far seeing race like the Doyen would make such a character judgement error. I know white wolf wrote them to be imperfect but surely they could have found a powerful medically inclined latent with some inkling of leadership skills. None of the other proxies are afraid to get into leadership. Every other proxy was written as having a strong personality and a drive to further humanity's goal. Even Otha who ran from the call took the mantle of leadership. We should start the Impeach Zwiendler Campaign. He is shaming the Aesculapians...

Also another thing the Doyen are supposed to have access to all of the noetic powers that humanity can access save quantakenisis... Doesn't that include Clearsentience? They are a far seeing race that lay plans that take incomprehensible amounts of time to complete, yet they lose their faith in humanity's ability very quickly... All in all I think that the Doyen are the weakest part of the whole Trinity Game... Sorry about this turning into a rant about the Doyen and their short comings.

-Paxs Pimp

The Chibs were an aborted experiment. They tried, decided that it wasn't their color, and promptly took it away.

I'm still iffy on other, unknown aptitudes. Especially "Chronokinesis." Call me stodgy, but that one gets my albino donkey.

Every other proxy was written as having a strong personality and a drive to further humanity's goal.

I think Zweidler is working towards futhering Humanity in the way he knows best. Lab and clinical work. That's what he's good at, and that's what he'd like to do to make things better for us all. Who knows, perhaps the medical biotech would be years ahead if he didn't have to worry about pushing paper, too.

Doesn't that include Clearsentience

Yup. Though take a good look at Clairsentience. It's not a concrete thing. It's more fluid than even a biokinetic in a blender. This is demonstrated nicely in different stories throughout the Trinity books.

Use the Teleporter intro story frex. In it, the Clear talks about the "doors closing." By her interpretation, that means that the future is calcifying. It's becoming more probable that that event will happen.

Basically, Clairsentience is a great tool for gathering data on potential events. You then have to pick the path you want the future to take, and attempt to guide it there. (Think poor Otha goes for regular Mentatis appointments?)

I see the primary Doyen faction as trying to guide humanity towards using the QK weapon in the light they liked best. Unfortunately, they had other variables in the equation that may have factored in at random points causing chaos. The return of the Colony (taint-shrouded event maybe), and the Chromatic Doyen faction are two off the top of my head.

I see where you're coming from, Pax. Some people just don't like the Doyen. Heck, there was a thread here about that. I'm attempting to shed some light on how I view the goings-on in Trinity.

-Joseph

I also see where you are coming from I am just frustrated with how the Doyen are written. I see them as being an incredibly intelligent race simply to be able to manifest all aptitudes of Psi they are a step above the psiads who are limited to one of 3 groupings... Furthermore I see them in many ways as being written as short sighted. Much as I have frustrations about the Thetis Proposal and the opinions and actions of Divis Mal in Abberant I also have objections to the Doyen for the exact same reason. I just feel that white wolf finds a genius idea (psions, novas, psiads, etc.) and then some where along the way something get written wrong. In abberant Aeon became a cloak and dagger group of psuedo-villians. In trinity a race of aliens that has the life span of novas decides to help humanity and then starts jumping to conclusions. I suppose it would make more sense if the Doyen factions had been written out better. If maybe the politics that are written into the Qin was written into the Doyen. Hey I think that is it. White Wolf explained so much and developed the other aliens so well that the Doyen seem 2 Demsional by comparison. I think that is my problem with them. Oh well now that is sorted out.

-Paxs Pimp

Back on topic:

On Chronokenisis I feel that that power should be kept out of game... It comes dangerously close to defineing Max Mercer and I think that that is a big no no. I feel that Max is such and intrinsic part of the Aeon-verse that to define him and thu smake him killable is by far a very bad thing. I am not saying that an ST who allows the death of Max is a bad one. It is just my opinion that there are certain characters that should be untouchable. Max being one of them... Sorry agian about the rant...

-Pax

In trinity a race of aliens that has the life span of novas decides to help humanity

<.nitpick> They weren't helping humanity in the least. They were attempting to use us to destroy ourselves (psions vs aberrants), while limiting our potential psionic growth by dunking us. Smart little bitches. Too bad the Chromie faction was right that we'd bust out of the chains and do our own thing. (Read: Dangerous, if you're a Doyen.) <./nitpick>

Right with you in regards to Mr. Mercer, though. He should be untouchable. Then again, there shouldn't be any reason to gun for him in the first place.

isn't that this one?

Well, duh. What did you think I was talking about?  ::sigh

::blush

I think I'm going to go stand over here now...  ::whatsthat

-Joseph

Right with you in regards to Mr. Mercer, though. He should be untouchable. Then again, there shouldn't be any reason to gun for him in the first place.

I gotta disagree with the second part. Take Ethan for example. He has every reason to want Mercer dead. and they are good reasons. (i.e. there is some reason not just a twink player) but it would really off set the game if Mercer was killed. I think that if played well it is okay for a character to hate Max and even to want him dead. The ST should allow that if the player is responsible about it. I feel that you for example played Ethan's desire to kill Max responsibly where as some one else wouldn't allow the ST to write in that there was a reason not to kill him and just go for it.

-Pax

Then again, there shouldn't be any reason to gun for him in the first place.

yeah, just look at the topic about max over at the ww forums.  there are some guys seriously convinced that max is something of an evil overlord.

i agree with pax.  you never know when somebody might hate somebody, but it should have reason.  there's a reason someone had to coin the word popemobile.  if someone can hate the pope irl, someone can hate max in the aeonverse.

i just don't think it should be: "well, i, uh, don't like harvard grads, so i'm gonna try to kill max mercer."

unh-unh.

good stuff... I think this could make a really awesome topic in and of it self so I am gonna open a new thread about killing signiture characters... We could open it up to everyone on the boards and really get a feel for if different people think it is an okay practice and when they would allow their players to do it...

-Pax

Archived