Adventure! RPG - I've just played Adventure! and can offer advice

CHILL

*admin sets up stall and hollers to the crowd*

"GET YER ADVENTURE! ADVICE HEEEEEEEEEEEERE!"

Hi all.

I've just finished playing Adventure! for the first time and I would be more than happy to provide advice to new ST's and players alike.

Whilst playing we actually came across some intrinsic problems and the like in the game system, so feel free to ask away and I'll do what I can to help.

*has copy of Adventure! RPG standing by to refer to in case he gets out of his depth!*

:D

:Devil So did it like totally suck or did you like it ? What do you like or dislike about the system? Are the archtypes that others have put up useful. Why is the sky blue?  :( Are you assleep yet?  :Sleepy

Seriously how are new storytellers to approach the game & should the game contain powerful Npc? Ena ( my other half) thinks the game is more useful as background to Abby. Personally it strikes me as the good version of Pulps with better writing.  :cheesy

Cool, I look forward to reading it Chill!   :)

And on the good side for me, I found a big sign in my local gaming shop looking for Adventure players for a game that ahs only two players and the ST at the moment.  Looks like I will finally get to play it soon too!  And shamelessly plug EON to them at the same time!   :D

OK, here we go - random Adventure! dribblings that may prove interesting, or not ;)

We played a short group of games, six sessions, one a week, 4 hours a session.

After having played Adventure! (I didn't ST), these are the main thoughts snaking around in my brain about the game.

My overriding thoughts are that Adventure! really would work best when played 'from the book' - by this I mean the PC's are the hero types, the Indiana Jones' if you get my meaning.

This is especially tru for new ST's.  Getting the players to play, say, the villians - whilst interesting, would require a certain modification of the rules (eg how you go about getting back Inspiration and the like).

I think unless a ST is confident enough to actually follow through on the 'Golden Rule' (eg change anything you like), then straight from the book is the best way to go.

Having said that, there is certainly more than enough material there to give the starting ST a good sound basis for more than a few games.

When we at our group (that'd be Senior Mal, Lo Mai, Sid Blane, EEFFDDKK, Chambo99 & I) played the heroes, we all took to it fairly well.

The game was very easy to get into, the idea of the heroes was easy to visualise, as were the villians...due to the popularity of the genre, films, comics et al.

Not only does this make running and playing the game easier, but for the players who were already familiar with revised ST system, it was a breeze to get into the game mechanics.

I'm fairly certain the new players would find getting into the game mechanics no great problem as well after a couple of weeks of playing and testing out the rules.

So with the scene set easily, the game mechanics not a problem, how did things go.

Well, we had a relatively new ST, who did actually try to run things from a 'players as villains' perspective.  Honestly, it didnt work.  After one session the ST decided to re-start things off with players as heroes, and with the (dare I say it) experienced group we've got, that was no problem at all.

So then, playing the heroes.

Went really well...........but then the 'great old problem' of keeping it moving along reared its head.

Its the same with any RPG, you have to keep things moving along as the ST.  With Adventure! however, you;ve got to plan this sort of stuff well in advance I think (whereas I constantly 'blag it', as any of the above mentioned players and they'll verify that this is how I usually manage my games).

I'll give you an example.......   travel.

You can do a lot of travelling in RPG's, and most of the time you kinda skim though it unless there are particular details you want to focus on.  Think of things like the Indi Jones movives and other similar films......  you've got the classsic 'faded map with a nice stretching red line', indicating a flight across the ocean, or a train across country etc.

Takes about 5 seconds of screen time, and easily several days or weeks of time in.

Now, whenever in a game you opt for the 'OK, so you travel by method 'X', and get to 'X' a few days later', you can put money on it that the players will usually want to do something during that time......

Things that could easily distract from the game (the 'plot', I mean)........

.......  and with a fast pased game where heroes are supposed to be focussed on 'the villains', and 'fighting the good fight' - this sort of distraction isn't necessarily a good thing.

I think as a ST people will need to do a fair amount of brainstorming on ways to keep things moving whilst at the same time trying not to strongarm the players into 'following the plot' - it can be difficult.

On with other thoughts.....

I'm either missing the plot here (totally plausible), or other people feel the same........  there's not a wide enough 'variety' of Knacks in the one book.

Don;t get me wrong - theire are a good number of them, but the variety didn;t seem all that great.  Take the Mesmerist Knacks for example.......  for the most part they struck me as very specific in function, and not a great deal of variety betweeen functions....  perhaps I need to go re-read them ;)

There are a load of other things I could yabber on about, but perhaps others would like to chime in and we can debate Adventure! for a while...

Joseph?  any thoughts...

Mal?  you were there.......  some insights?

As I have said, I have not got to play it yet.  But I can relate to the problem about the lack of knacks.  I was surprised that there were so few and that so many of them were cut off to certain characters.  Most PCs will onlt have a couple because of that.  Of course, I do not know if that is a bad thing or not yet...   :)

My character has:

Electric Conjuration

Brain Skimming

Perfect Translation

Mind Control

Technology Control (we made this one up)

.. I think that's all.. MAYBE!

Anyhow, he also has

Legions

In Charge

Wealth Beyond Avarice

Sanctum Sanctorum

and (alone with some other minor backgrounds) Mangerie 5 for his Daredevil Orangutang general!

You fear my Lightning God of the intelligent Orangutangs in the Zin'may'na Valley--admit it!!

-Breearg

hmmm.... Insights, I'm good at those.

So Adventure, where it all began. I'd have to agree with Chill on his points, I felt the main problem is, in most games an ST has some modicum of control of where the players go and can therefore plan ahead, I feel Adventure on the other hand, would work best completely free formed. I.E. You get the players to bite the proverbial hook "What! The princess needs rescuing from the Hun... etc" and you let them get on with it anyway they want to, of course this way an ST has to have a wealth of knowledge behind him to cover for all eventualities.

Furthermore, for more work for the ST, I felt it is intensely important that the locales, NPC's, tech etc to be brought to life much more than usual, remember the game is based on pulp stories, both radio plays (highly descriptive and involving sounds) and comics (very visual and vibrant) and this needs to be brought across to the players to get their goody goody heroes to fit in.  

Also the little ruling that we found where players can 'edit' the story by spending inspiration... Now thats just asking for trouble.

our game (me, pax's pimp, joseph, communist #666, and dave who's somehow never found this board) has been running for seven months and the biggest problem we've run into are making characters that are too cinematic and don't play well... they basically end up making good npc's...

the second problem was lack of knacks... our solution? if a knack from a different group worked and was justifiable we allow it... my current character is a young dragon so i gave her/him/it lizard like knacks (lightning reflexs, resilent, heightened sense) they all conflict but the group let it fly, we're also always making up our own (and not writing them down before we forget them) etc.

and as for how we've addressed the new material question, we st round robin style, it takes a stable group, but it works great! we've made it around all five st's once and are starting the second rotation and everyone is still full of ideas... we average about six weeks per story before we change over to the next person...

well, that's the two cents from our game...

-harle

We have rules that have to do with Facet and Inspiration minimums which allow you to buy Knacks outside your own catergory.

Reflective Facet sets the minimum for picking up Psychic Powers

Destructive for picking up Dynamic

And you can't pick up Heroic b/c ONLY daredevils have them.

I believe its (both requirements must be met)

3 Facet/6 Inspiration = Level 1

4 Facet/8 Inspiration = Level 2

5 Facet/10 Inspiration = Level 3

ie:  

If I am a Mesmerist with 10 Inspiration and 5 in my Destructive Facet I could pick my knacks from any of the Dynamic or Psychic, etc.

And also, we just make up new knacks whenever we want (like "Levitation"--a level 2 psychic knack that allows u to raise off the ground straight up, but no sideways movement...unless you have a sail to pull you along with air or something.... its kind of like a step up from A Single Bound, but its a Psychic Knack... like a weaker version of "Flight" under TK).

-Breearg

Again I have not played yet, but I think that the best way to come up with more knacks is to take Nova and Psion skills and modify them to a weaker state and that should work.  They are after all the first versions of these different types of heroes!  :)

heroic are even more fun to make up, you can have a lot more freedom with them... one i have about half way written is cat's feet, basically characters with can survive devasting falls intact... it's sort of a step or two down from flight... the actual rules for it i've never done...

-harle

• 7 months later...

well i just ran my first game last night, and i didnt have any trouble getting the players together, because i already knew how i was going to do it..

the cast included my wife, and my brother in law

she played a japense immigrant circus high wire performer (daredevil), and he played a similiar character as Bruce Wayne, however not with the whole batman crap, he was an explorer, he really just wanted the money and talents.. (Stalwart)

the game started with me telling them they wake up, but they couldnt see, they find out that they had blind folds over their eyes, and that their hands were tied behind their back... i started working on senses, i told them they could feel a wooden floor, and that they could hear a train... their first conclusion was that they were about to get run over, whioch was false, but i didnt say anything, i kept describing it as they went around the caboose, trying to get off the tracks, eventually it dawned on them when my wifes character managed to open the back door, and she felt the wind rushing in and the sound of the train was a bit louder..

they got loose, and found out that the door out of the car (the fornt one) was locked, so they went out the back, climbed up the ladder, and found that about 4 cars ahead of them, some mooks were coming to the back with tommy guns, they were spotted by one of them, but they managed to get between the caboose and the next car before they were shot at, my BIL (brother in law) broke down the door to the caboose (he had piledriver), they get in to the next car, which was a dining car, and manage to get almost out of this one before they were shot at, but the mooks missed, they run to the next car, which was another dining car, and they set their plan into motion, BILs character looked frantically for a plae to hide while my wife ducked under a table, BIL himself used some inspiration to explain how there was some bars up above the car, for the waiters to hang on to when they train gets a little bumpy, i agreed that there would likely something, so he hide up there, and waited for the mooks.....

unfortunately my wifes character didnt hide very well and her shapely backside was sticking out from under the table, the front mook whistled, while the second one smacked him in the back of the head (she has perfect poise, and i love playing around with the side effect part), the 3rd one wisened up and saw BILs character hiding above them, but since the heroes had the initiative he couldnt do anything in time, my wife tried to toss the table on them, but wasnt strong enough to lift it off, BIL jumped down on one of the mooks, nearly breaking him in half (7 levels of bashing damage, though the guy soaked 3), he then attacks the second guy, nearly breaking his neck (8 levels of bashing to the neck he soaks 3, and is knocked out), the lead guy ends up getting tripped by my wifes character, and she spent two inspiration for hiw gun to fly out of his hand, though i suggested something even more action oriented, and she spent a 3rd point and had the gun fly out of his hands, into the waiting hands of BIL, who then leveled the mook..

Bil stayed behind to tie of the mooks still alive, and my wife wet on to the car the mooks came from... after an hour she didnt come back, and BIL got curious and went after, finding her standing with her arms in the air facing 7 guys with guns..

6 normal mooks, and 1 tall mook with a shot gun, plus a short fat guy with a briefcase handcuffed to his wrist...

BIL spent some inspiration to have a car about a mile up the road stall, the couple gets a way, but theior car is stalled on the tracks, train hits car, train brakes, wife gets knocked off her feet, fat guys and 4 of the mooks as well (it was getting near time to end game though) the tall mook fires his shotgun, missing everyone, and BIL fires back, hitting the tall guy for 3 levels, though he soaks 2, as he was shooting, the tall guy was going for the side of the box car, and on his action, he flings the door open, and jumps out, as he jumps, he clicks something, and they hear a BEEP... cliffhanger......lol

my only question though, was how exactly do plot ramifications, and plot complications work... i didnt feel it was very clear in the book... or maybe i just need some extra help

heya and welcome to the boards.

well, if you're talking things like inspiration, thats more or less an issue of what fits best for your story. let the characters get away with whatever they can think up with (within reason) so long as it won't destroy the plot you already have going (though it sounds as if your players have a really intuitive grasp of the dramatic editing style) inspiration seems to be either an awesome plot amplifier, or something that can unbalance a game very quickly in the players favor. past that, if you mean plot complications within your own story, thats something more specific to the st. while i don't think any storyteller is going to recommend you strong-arm things, there are varying degrees within the spectrum. being an st, i know there are situations that you've already got plotted in your head to go a cetain way, but i must say that those situations almost never actually turn out the way you intended. strong arming a plot in moderation is fine, so long as in other areas you reinfornce the idea that players really do have their own say in the game's dynamic. specifically speaking, occasionally you'll have set up a challenge that the players simply see through and roll with despite how much effort you put in. if they get it they get it, move on and let them have theri fun, i guarantee at some point they'll get stumped on something you thought was obvious. anyways, hope that helps, and if it doesn't, tell us and we'll try again :)  hope you have fun on the boards.

jake

well i didnt do my best at getting my point across, plus somehow i left out a couple of words...

ok i get the idea for the rest of the dramtic edits, but how do i apply a plot complication/ramification?

it says -1 inspiration on the complication one, is this something the players "take on" as in the example, and if so, what are the system mechanics on it... the example eludes to being able to do this is you dont have any inspiration... basically i need to understand this... i understand the concept behind them, but not exactly how they effect system rules... the example i refer to is near the end when it gives the 3 examples of dramatic edits, and it says that one of the guys didnt have any inspiration left, and took on a plot complication, by doing so he left his jacket, money and i think gun on the seat of the truck....

i just need to know the effects system wise of this.... does it not cost anything to do it, do you say take a minor offscreen effect, then modify it with a plot complication, to find the total, and if so, then how does the example get away with spending no inspiration?...

or was there some typoes?

::devilangel

All the plot complication rule is there for, is to allow players to make dramatic edits they would not otherwise beable to afford (specificly in the case of life or death, like a cliff hanger).  All it is saying is that if you need 4 inspiration to pull off a particular edit, but only have 2, you'd take a complication.

What this does, is allows the character to miraculously survive X life or death situation, only instead of comming out totally unscathed (as is the case with most Dramatic edits) the character suffers some penalty such as accidentally leaving their equipment in the truck before jumping (as in the book example) or breaking their leg when they land (I think that's one of the other examples).

I hope this clears it up, if not I'll try to write up a less scatter brained, more concise explaination.  But, I think you're just reading the rules to be more complicated than they actually are.

-Slag

Numericly speaking plot complication points are one for one with dramatic edit costs, so yes a minor off screen affect would cost no inspiration for a small plot complication.  But, this particular example would be fairly uselss as the complication would likely make the off screen affect even less effective than it already would be.  Plot complications are really (IMO) intended for the larger more cinematic escapes and situations when the player really needs that extra edge, no matter what the cost.

-Slag

it did help alot actually, lol.

i roughly had the right train of thoughts, i just wanted to make sure i understood it, right now the players are learning with me, but i do have some other players in my groups that have played adventure for a while, they were just busy the night i ran.....lol

i'll be talking with them about more of the details, though im pretty sure i got everything

heya prophet, welcome to eon, feel free to join in or start topics whenever you like!  ::thumbs-up

it's funny i've been playing adventure since a week after it came out... that's about 14 months now. and i had completely forgotten about that rule... heh, next time i'm a player the st's are gonna suffer...  ::devil well, more likely my character will... :D

well last night went pretty well, it was an hour shorter than normal, but thats ok..lol

the cliffhanger from last weeks game was that the train blew up... thy didnt feel the need to expend inspiration, so they just jumped from the train... 50 foot drop into a raging river, and from there they follow the tall guy (Isaac Garamov) to a cabin, where apparantly a girl had been working on her parents cabin, getting it ready for the upcoming summer, she was attacked at one point and locked up in a closet (they werent there for that) they get there, find the guy, have a shoot out (the guy had guns in this cabin... more on this later), after the tall guy lay dead, they proceeded to search the cabin, finding more bullets for the guns he had, the girl, and a radio, broadcasting in russian...

basically the background for this was that this dude and his little gang had been using this cabin during the off season...

im not totally sure what i'll do with that angle yet... anyways police arrive because of the train explosion, and the shots fired up at the cabin.. the party ends up getting taken into custody.. my wifes character gets to read her obituary, and my brother in law gets to realize that carrying around two guns, and the tall guys wallet, isnt smart..

they make it back to BILs mansion, and get some mail, two letters in particular, from Aeon, inviting them to a small shindig the next night...

basically they got involved with aeon, without trying to explain to them what it was before we started... i had them skip backing, and alleigance.. for sake of fun..lol

i ended with them joining Aeon, and finding out that the short fat guy, was a Dr. Sameul Bayer (no jokes on names please..lol), who had some sort of weapon powered by z waves, this russian gang wanted it badly, and now since the heroes know where the fat guy was, and know what he looks like, they can go after him now, before the russians..

yeh i know this is pushing an early concept (russians as bad guys)... but i didnt wanna go with nazis, or anything of that nature...or unknown mooks, i wanted to go internationally...hehe

i'll obviously expand on this concept and idea alot more before next thursday

im going to start devoloping stuff soon, and will see about getting them put on here... i just have to get all my holiday stuff done............course im going on vacation next week for thanksgiving, i'll have a week without any real distractions, so i should be able to work on something

• 2 months later...

nothings really been craeted yet, though i have started this game on another night... basically the session ended one night, with the 2 heroes captured, they'll end up being rescued by another group of heroes...lol

im kinda surprised the boards have been quiet, but then i hear theres been a problem with the forums....lol

• 1 month later...

Archived