Adventure! RPG - New to Adventure! ?

CHILL

• 1 month later...

yeah....  Chambo.

On  serious note - how would different people here run adventure.  I know Senior Mal has done some initial setting stuff (see the adventure section of the site for it), but how would you 'run' the game...

themes....

modds.....

yada yada - ?

I've always had a tendency to run very loose and cinematic, so Trinity and Adventure are my choice. (Aberrant doesn't do so well when I'm trying to run a scene with as little dice as possible.)

My first story went off pretty well, and everbody there could picture it like the opening of a movie. Lots of fast action, but quick thinking. The group stuck together, even though there was some IC animosity (one pair of characters left each other at the alter).

Though the first story was a "get to know your character" story, it ran very well. The themes used were Mystery, and Exploration, with a hint of the Unknown tossed in. While the mood was mostly of Alienation with a desire to return home.

One of my best scenes was a night-time encounter by one of our PC's with an unseen, but semi-tactile, figure. The scene only took up about 45 minutes, but everyone who was listening (3 out of 4 isn't bad) was spooked out and entirely engrossed. It was great. Perhaps one of my ST highlights.

Was this sort of what you were looking for, Admin? Or have I been tangental today?  :D

-Joseph

spot on Joseph....

any other takers?

For me - I'd run adventure in an almost 'straight out of the book' fashion....

Not that im a lazy bugger, but I think WW did a good job of conveying the whole setting / theme et al.

Mad scientists, heroic do-gooders, fantastical machines.....

Its a classic lets be honest.

Given my tendancy for running dark games, or games with a heavy 'criminal' element - I probably couldn't resist getting characters somehow tied into the actions of a major villain, and throw some moral questions at them, especially the sort that really gets the players thinking.........

See the Vampire in Canade thread under 'Other RPG's for a good example of this particular element of how I run certain games......

anyways.....

anyone else with some thoughts on how to pitch adventure?!?!

Senior Mal sounds a bit too much like two of my players. Odd people.

First session, one ended up riding a chandelier across a large theater, while being shot at by mooks, crashing it into the orchestra area, catching the building on fire. How that character has managed to stay alive, I still don't know.

-Joseph

Still getting used to English. Spot on? Chockies?  :P

Yeah Chambo the core game mechanics are 'pretty much' the same.

But Trinity, Aberrant and Adventure! all ahve very different character creation processes etc......

I've fully read hte book now and it does look very interesting, until i'd properly read the powers and stuff (I normally go straight for setting and sift through powers later), I didn;t realise just how hard the Inspired can be....

theres some nasty stuff in there :)

Adventure runs pretty easily. It's what Trinity wanted to be from the start, as far as I can tell. My six week plot ran smoothly, with lots of room for player tinkering via Dramatic Editing. Though y players got a little huffy when the bad guys used it on them. :D

If you've played Mage before, DE is like using Coincidental magick, but different.

The character creation is different, as Admin expressed. Unless you min/max, though, it all comes out even in the end. (No "tainted" powers helps, too.)

Look out for anyone who wants to take Body of Bronze (Stalwart, 3) or Cloud the Mind (Mesmerist, 3). Those are some strong abilities.

No real pitfalls I can think of that one can fall into with the way they have it set up. We even have a player who will ST for the first time soon, all due to Adventure.

-Joseph

All ya'll English people talk funny  :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm damn sure I'm going to regret this, but I've been in negotiations with Admin concerning a possible online game in the appropriate corner of this forum. I ran one online game before (as Aeon will remember) and it turned out to be a wonderful disaster.

How many of y'all are interested, and what would you like to see? We could take this up in another thread - come to think of it, i'll do that right now.

I believe I still have Scott's email (he played the sadly-underused Calum) and I can call Hugh right now. of course, I'm using his copy of Adventure  ;)  I bent the cover bad (I'm rough on stuff, being a hulking 6'3" monstrosity), so i have to buy him a new one.

• 5 months later...

CHILL gave me a rundown of the Mercer/Mal background information from Adventure! on Monday... dumbie me didn't write it down, relying on my faulty memory to keep it together... could someone post a thumbnail of it here?

Above and beyond stuff in the timeline that is..., thanks!

Nerdvana ::alien

Well, this is a bit off topic now, but I just noticed this thread and it gives me a chance to yack about one of my games.  When I run Adventure! (as with every game I run) I lean havily on coincidence, which works beautifully for me.  I like to work uo five or six plot layers, then inter connect them via pure coincidence, draw the players in with one layer and watch then accidentally take care of all the others.

They seem to like it, and watching them go on wild goose chases for totally unimportant things and almost get killed makes it fun for me!

-Slag

Oh yeah...HUZZAH...love that British slang love it

• 1 month later...

??? i wish my group saw it that way, it would make things easy, but instead of being good or evil, they're some sort of aimlessly wandering, oblivious, unpleasantness that happens to good and evil people for often the wrong reasons, and almost always by accident...

then again, the stories are one of a kind!  ::bigsmile

The problem with getting players to see things in terms of good and evil is that most of them started out in some sort of fantasy game were they were rewarded for killing anything that they saw and then waited for the ST to drop the next plot device on them.

In preparing for my A! game I went and reread several of my Doc Savage, Shadow and Spider novels to regain a feel for the pulp style. Almost all the stories started with someone or a group of people being killed.

Starting off with a murder, kidnapping or damsel in destress is a good way to set the tone and keep the focus on defeating the bad guy. If things start to slow down then the advice Raymond Chandler gave is always good, " Whenever I have a problem with what will happen next I just have someone come through the door firing a pistol."

Yes, it seems even more critical then in most genre's to start the game with a Bang! and keep things moving.

If every Chapter re-enforces that the opponent is Evil and Must Be Stopped, then by contrast the players are Good.

It doesn't hurt to have some NPCs declair how great their actions are.  

Another good way to keep the action going is to blackmail one of the characters. A villian who knows deep dark secreats about characters is perfect for keeping players focused on trying to defeat them.

If your players never gave a dark past for their character then have the group as a whole blackmailed. Most A! groups are not going to be going around bragging about how they destroyed a villians HQ. Suddenly they recive a letter telling them how they must pay a million dollars or the information will be leaked to the press on how they killed all those poor henchmen.

Or, start off with the police receving the letter and coming to arrest the group. From that point they need to avoid the police, find who sent the letter and prove that they did not kill in cold blood.

we've tried that... and as you can see from joe's response, the characters walked right over and spit in the plot's face...   ::eh they always seem to do that... (not so much you joe, but peter, jesus.... ::cry ) sorry joe, you don't get the award for most plot lines destroyed, derailed, or foiled... :P

i wasn't really looking for a response from my previous post, i was just commenting mostly... thanks anyways guys   ::thumbs-up ...

I've learned with this group that you either screw the players over, or give them an opportunity to somehow damage a church. (Slander, breaking and entering, stealing priests.  ::sneaky2 )

Seriously, our group has an odd dynamic that's easier to go with than against. Hell, we are our own antagonists at times. We do at least try to do right.

At least some of us do.

Okay, everyone but Pax's Pimp.  ::sly

-Joseph

i think the best quote to show the set up of our group would be:

(both PC's have a gun to the other character's head)

irene: "leave off, or i will kill you."

cliff: "you can't kill me if i do it first."

;) it's all fun and games until someone screws up what they were trying to say and ends up nearly killing their own character, then it's friggin hilarious! ::halo

Guess I got lucky with my players. A couple characters see the law as more of a hypothetical concept then as a set of social rules yet all the players are more concerned with keeping the world safe then killing or stuffing their pockets.

Archived