Aberrant RPG - Post your Quantum Powers and Enh. here

CHILL

I just think cheating them by using the Ally background isn't needed when their are rules for Quantum Construction which allow the same, if short, effect.

If you think that an Ally (or other Background) is \"cheating\" the PCs then I guess that's based on your own gaming experiences, or lack of trust of the ST ::sly . If you think that the PC spending a single Background dot to gain what you want them to spend Nova points on is \"cheating\" them then you need to check your maths... ::wink

As for Elemntal Mastery and the power ring; yeah, those techniques would come in handy. But remember, the power ring is pretty much a \"wish ring\". Quantum Constructs can have about any quantum power that you can afford to give it. It does become harder with every use within a scene though. That can probably be bought off with strength points.

Not according to the rules it can't (see the APG p.143 for what Strengths can do - they're pretty limited really) - but feel free to do what you want in your game. The GL power ring's abilities fluctuate wildly depending on which comics you've read (or cartoons you've watched), but EM covers what it usually does. Don't forget that with an EM (or other suite power) the character can attempt to do anything within the power's special effect, not just the listed techniques. GL rarely creates one thing for an entire battle, & rarely has to create it (relatively) slowly, then use it - he just creates & does stuff in one smooth action. He also uses his force-field, flight, energy blasts, energy walls, traps enemies in giant hands, or bird-cages, or whatever all in the space of one battle. Also, his energy "constructs" are usually attatched to the ring (via a "cord of energy" of something) rather than being seperate created entities. All in all I'd still say it's more like an EM than a Q-Construct.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think that an Ally (or other Background) is "cheating" the PCs then I guess that's based on your own gaming experiences, or lack of trust of the ST ::sly . If you think that the PC spending a single Background dot to gain what you want them to spend Nova points on is "cheating" them then you need to check your maths... ::wink

Not according to the rules it can't (see the APG p.143 for what Strengths can do - they're pretty limited really) - but feel free to do what you want in your game. The GL power ring's abilities fluctuate wildly depending on which comics you've read (or cartoons you've watched), but EM covers what it usually does. Don't forget that with an EM (or other suite power) the character can attempt to do anything within the power's special effect, not just the listed techniques. GL rarely creates one thing for an entire battle, & rarely has to create it (relatively) slowly, then use it - he just creates & does stuff in one smooth action. He also uses his force-field, flight, energy blasts, energy walls, traps enemies in giant hands, or bird-cages, or whatever all in the space of one battle. Also, his energy "constructs" are usually attatched to the ring (via a "cord of energy" of something) rather than being seperate created entities. All in all I'd still say it's more like an EM than a Q-Construct.

Let me try to illustrate:

Gary buys puts one dot in allies and says it's supposed to represent the Q Gadgets intelligence. First of all, 1 dot of allies says the ally is about equal to the PC in power. Is one facet of Garys' powers, the Q gadget, egual to Gary in power? No. So i am cheating gary by giving him an Ally not equal to him. Second, the actual mental stats of the gadget is left up to me, not Gary. That leaves a lot of room for problems and trust issues if something happens that relies on a mental roll for the gadget. Issues that wouldn't occur if Gary created the stats for the gadget and made whatever rolls i reguired the gadget to make.

PCs like to feel in control of their own charcacters. Seeing as Q gadget is a facet of Garys powers, taking the technical aspects of creating the self aware portion of the gadget away from him, not having the actual stats in front of him, could cause problems. And considering Q Construct didn't just say, "consider them intelligent for such and such turns", i think it would put off PCs going that route not to have that control.

That's all i'm saying.

As for Elemental Mastery and power rings:

All the PHYSICAL aspects of a Green Lanterns ring are fairly represented in that power. But boxing glove constructs, energy beams and green cages are the least of a Green Lanterns abilities. When the power ring wielder wants to open a gate into deep space, create a very powerfull telescopic instrument, universal translator, life support and make forcefields for his friends, Elemental Mastery isn't doing it. I see two things happening for the player wanting to do this. Convince the ST to ignore the penalty that was put on using the power more than once in a scene, or make sure he/she is good enough in the power to accomplish multiple uses in spite of the penalty.

Best bet is to buy Elemental Mastery for all of the mundane physical stuff and rely on Quantum Construct for the more varied "wish ring" aspects.

And i don't know about Hal Jordan, but Guy Gardner (when he was a Lantern), Kyle Rayner, and John Stewart all have the ability to create constructs without there being a cord linking the ring with the construct. Kyle often creates his "green babe servants" to do menial tasks, all of which have no green cords.

I knew i've been forgeting a question that's been on my mind concerning Elemental Mastery but i've forgotten every time i post.

Anyone ever wonder why there isn't a technique allowing a nova to actually create an element from nothing? A nova with ice/snow mastery can't actually create snow or ice. Sure, the ST can say if the nova fires enough blasts of the element it would linger there, but there isn't a technique allowing the nova to just create a large amount of snow/ice or what have you. I would think a create element technique would be mandatory for Elemental Mastery, as Elemaental Anima is just control.

What up with that? ::dontgetit

Hey there, Defcon1- ::smile

Re: Elemental Mastery- It sounds like the game designers wanted to keep players from abusing certain forms of Elemental Mastery- see the problems a nova has in trying to make permanent items with the Matter Creation power? That's a deliberate impediment to keep novas from flooding the Gold or diamond markets and causing widespread economic chaos too easily.

Re: Urusei Yatsura character write-ups- Looks nice, phoenix, but don't forget Lum's vulnerability to getting drunk off of umeboshi! Now how does _that_ sound for an aberration? ::hehe

Back on topic, I've got some Mega-Manipulation enhancements for you guys to look over. Feedback greatly appreciated, as always...

Calm (Mega-Manipulation)

Novas with this enhancement are masters at talking large numbers of people out of unthinking panic and other forms of the mob mentality. Aside from making then invaluable for crowd control, these novas can easily find employment in disaster relief agencies such as the International Red Cross- there's nothing like a food riot to screw up relief efforts in famine-stricken regions.

System: The nova can calm up to [Mega-Manipulation] novas/Inspired (and masses of baselines). Make a contested Mega-Manipulation + Subterfuge roll against the target's Willpower. Use an averaged Willpower score for groups consisting of novas or the Inspired, and a flat value of 4 for groups of baselines. The nova also gets +3 automatic successes on this roll if he's trying to calm them in order to sincerely help them. Note that the people the nova wishes to affect must be able to both hear and understand his speech for this enhancement to work. Novas with this enhancement often develop Telepathy for that very reason...

It is possible for the nova to purchase multiple levels of this enhancement. Doing so only increases the number of other novas/Inspired the nova can affect- 2 levels lets the nova affect [Mega-Manipulation x 2] novas or Inspired, and so forth. A nova can only have a total number of levels of this enhancement equal to his Quantum or Mega-Manipulation score, using whichever is lowest.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and lasts for the duration of the scene.

Clarity (Mega-Manipulation)

Not much gets past a Mega-Manipulative nova- they're rarely taken in by mundane attempts to manipulate their feelings and opinions. Novas with this enhancement have heightened this resistance to a frightening degree, allowing them to shrug off the effects of novas with Social Mega-Attributes and/or powers that control people's minds or emotions. These novas are the ones who give shrieking nightmares to marketing executives on Madison Avenue and around the world.

System: The nova can use his Mega-Manipulation dice to resist both Mega-Social enhancements and mind/emotion control powers. An interesting side effect of this is that the nova can automatically detect the true motives behind any lies, deceptions, or malarkey others attempt to pass off on him. By spending a quantum point and saying something appropriate that contradicts the Mega-Social/power effect (or lie/deception/malarkey), the nova can share this protection with everyone who can hear and understand him. Telepathic contact can easily substitute for audible speech in this case.

This enhancement costs no quantum points to activate, although sharing this protection with others does cost 1 quantum point and lasts for the duration of the scene.

Compelling (Mega-Manipulation)

Whatever other gifts Mega-Manipulation gives the nova, they are still just as potent when the nova is recorded. Videotape, holographic storage and similar media all convey the nova's superhuman guile.

System: The nova can be recorded while using Manipulation-related Abilities. They apply with full strength when shown to audiences elsewhere: Targets must resist the successes the nova achieves, just as if they were present when the nova used her power.

(This is the Mega-Manipulation equivalent of Almost Live, and is cumulative with both that enhancement and Screen Presence from Mega-Charisma.)

Delicacy (Mega-Manipulation)

At one time or another, everyone's heard about the denial-prone king who always kept a spear by his throne to kill any messengers who dared to bring him bad news. While this response to ill tidings is still found among some people in the 21st century (although it's been toned down a bit), a nova with this enhancement needs not worry about any retribution caused by bearing bad news.

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes on all Social rolls that involve telling people what they don't want to hear and having them accept what he tells them without either developing hard feelings towards the nova or suffering serious emotional pain.

This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Dissimulator (Mega-Manipulation)

A nova with this enhancement is a master of double-talk and the confidence job. This nova is the one who can bluff everyone into thinking that she's exactly what she claims to be, as long as she doesn't try to actually _use_ the skills she says she has. Otherwise, it's pretty much a cakewalk.

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes on all Subterfuge rolls to masquerade as an instant authority on anything, as far as any observers are concerned. Other novas with both Mega-Perception exceeding the nova's Mega-Manipulation and who have actual expertise in the nova's professed field can automatically see through this deception. This works regardless of the nova's appearance at the time- even if the nova shows up in a circus clown suit (complete with greasepaint and neon-blue wig), she could easily pass herself off as an agent of the National Security Agency with just her body language and attitude.

Dissuasion (Mega-Manipulation)

Mega-Manipulative novas are excellent at using their guile to defuse potentially lethal (if not outright disastrous) situations. Those novas with this enhancement are even better at talking themselves out of a tight spot, as they can hold off would-be assailants long enough to either escape or call on their allies for combat support. While this has to be used strategically to be effective, it can defuse many a quantum battle before it happens- a definite plus when one is in the middle of a population center.

System: When in combat or even just threatened, the nova may roll Mega-Manipulation (and spend a quantum point) as an automatic action. The nova must be able to speak in a language her foes can understand, but the concept doesn't have to be any more complex than "Are you sure you want to do that?". The nova's foes may not initiate hostile action against her for 1 turn per success on the Mega-Manipulation roll, provided that she and her allies likewise don't engage in hostilities against them. If the nova's foes are attacked by anyone, this effect wears off and the nova's foes can resume their attack.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate and lasts until either the nova's foes are attacked or the end of the scene, whichever comes first.

Enigma (Mega-Manipulation)

Agencies in both intelligence and law enforcement depend on psychological profiling to capture their quarry. A nova with this enhancement is therefore their worst nightmare, as the workings of his mind are just about impossible for baseline humans to comprehend and difficult even for other novas to figure out.

System: The nova can conceal his psyche and Nature from being analyzed with an automatic action (no roll required). Others must roll Mega-Perception against the nova's [Mega-Manipulation +1] to tell what he is thinking (without the use of Telepathy), or to figure out the workings of the nova's mind via psychological analysis and profiling. Those who fail the roll will be utterly unable to comprehend the nova's mentality, psychological drives and weaknesses, etc. Baselines and novas lacking Mega-Perception automatically fail this roll. This enhancement is always in effect, and costs no quantum points to use.

Scold (Mega-Manipulation)

While all Mega-Manipulative novas have a way with words, a nova with this enhancement can use words alone to inflict epic tongue-lashings. The target of the nova's harangue collapses into a shivering wretch, becoming especially disconsolate when onlookers begin siding with the nova against him.

System: Roll the nova's [Mega-Manipulation + Subterfuge] against the target's Willpower-if the nova wins, his haranguing not only overwhelms the target with feeling of guilt and remorse. The target is thus reduced to an apologetic, groveling whelp for the duration of the scene, and possibly longer. The target will be unable to take any aggressive action against the nova and is largely incapacitated. The target can make a Willpower roll to recover at a difficulty penalty of [the nova's Mega-Manipulation +1] once the scene is over- otherwise, this effect will last for up to [Mega-Manipulation] days.

Use of this enhancement also encourages any listeners to take the nova's side and believe the accusations he's made against the target. Listeners can resist this by rolling Mega-Perception against the nova's [Mega-Manipulation +1], although at a difficulty penalty equal to the number of successes the nova made on his initial Mega-Manipulation roll to use this enhancement. If the nova's accusation is untrue, this will wear off in [the nova's Mega-Manipulation] days- otherwise, it's more or less permanent.

This enhancement requires 1 quantum point to activate, with the durations described above.

Silver Tongue (Mega-Manipulation)

A nova with this enhancement is a born spin doctor and PR man. People tend to believe what she says, no matter how inane her conversation or how incredible her stories.

System: The nova gains a difficulty bonus of - [Mega-Manipulation] on all Social-based rolls that depend on glib assurances. This enhancement is always in effect, and costs no quantum points to use.

Slippery (Mega-Manipulation)

Mega-Manipulative novas can be con artists of unparalleled skill, but a nova with this enhancement can con a mark well enough that the mark usually won't ever realize he's been had for years afterwards.

System: Victims of the nova's trickery must make a resisted roll against the nova's [Mega-Manipulation +1] to even realize that they've been manipulated after the fact. Baselines automatically fail this roll without Inspired aid. This enhancement is always in effect, and costs no quantum points to use.

Ultimatum (Mega-Manipulation)

A nova with this enhancement has refined his ability to use Mega-Manipulation in combat. By dictating the actions of his opponents, the nova can gain a definite edge in combat situations. (Note: the nova is limited to dictating actions that his targets could be expected to take in the course of combat. Unless one or more of the targets are actually suicidal, the nova can't offer "slit your own throats" as an option and expect them to obey. This enhancement's main use is to make the nova's foes face him on his terms, and denying them the use of sound tactics and/or strategy.)

System: Roll the nova's Mega-Manipulation against his foes' Willpower- if successful, the nova can deliver a pair of options ("Either come and get me or run like the cowards you are!" seems to be a favorite) to his foes, who must comply with one or the other and may take no action that you haven't specified.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate.

I'll start on the Mega-Mental enhancements next... coming soon! ::cool

(Editing has been performed on the problems in this post that I've been told of- now that that batch of snafus has been dealt with, I'm off to relax a bit before dredging up the Mega-Intelligence enhancements I've been salvaging. ::smokin )

Geez, bungled again... ::laugh

Re: Enigma- it should read ".. the workings of the nova's mind are nearly impossible for baselines to comprehend and difficult even for other novas."

We apologize for any inconvienence.. ::tongue

Anyone ever wonder why there isn't a technique allowing a nova to actually create an element from nothing? A nova with ice/snow mastery can't actually create snow or ice. Sure, the ST can say if the nova fires enough blasts of the element it would linger there, but there isn't a technique allowing the nova to just create a large amount of snow/ice or what have you. I would think a create element technique would be mandatory for Elemental Mastery, as Elemaental Anima is just control.

No. If you have Elemental Mastery (EM), then all of the techniques allow you to create your substance. Elemental Anima (EA) only allows you to control what is already around. And remember that you get to define most of your own techniques.

Example: "GoldBug" has 4 levels of EM: Gold

(1)Lethal Attack: Gold Spikes appear an try to impale your victum.

(2)Increase/Decrease: Each succ lets you alter the amount of the stuff around by 20%. 5 succ let you completely remove all gold from say, a bank vault or a person. 5 succ would also let you double the amount of gold coins you have in a pile.

(3)Storm: Litterally a spray of sharp, golden spines/other objects.

(4)Movement: A gold disk appears under your feet and you can "ride" it as it flys or slides about.

No. If you have Elemental Mastery (EM), then all of the techniques allow you to create your substance. Elemental Anima (EA) only allows you to control what is already around. And remember that you get to define most of your own techniques.

Example: "GoldBug" has 4 levels of EM: Gold

(1)Lethal Attack: Gold Spikes appear an try to impale your victum.

(2)Increase/Decrease: Each succ lets you alter the amount of the stuff around by 20%. 5 succ let you completely remove all gold from say, a bank vault or a person. 5 succ would also let you double the amount of gold coins you have in a pile.

(3)Storm: Litterally a spray of sharp, golden spines/other objects.

(4)Movement: A gold disk appears under your feet and you can "ride" it as it flys or slides about.

Yeah, but you can't actually create a large amount of the substance.

Take your example: So just how much gold can you create? How much weight, volume, and such? How much of an area does it encompass?

There isn't a technique which allows this. As the rules stand, i can't create an ice guy who can just cover Central Park in 3 feet of snow, or a water guy who can just fill a swimming pool with water, or a fire guy that can......eeewwww.

Okay, maybe i see why that technique wasn't created. ::lookaround

Urusei Yatsura character write-ups- Looks nice, phoenix, but don't forget Lum's vulnerability to getting drunk off of umeboshi! Now how does _that_ sound for an aberration?

Didn't know about that, actually.. I'm not really a fan - I just have (and adore) \"Beautiful Dreamer\". I'm not even gonna try to do Mujaki, though. ::blink

Hmm.. Ultimatum? What's to stop the nova from saying something like \"Unless you drop your weapons right now, you might as well slit your own throats before I get to you!\" or deliver equally undesirable options? You might want to restrict that a little.

We apologize for any inconvienence.. ::tongue

::smiley1 The man responsible for the previous apology has just been sacked. We apologize for the inconvenience. ::hehe

Take your example: So just how much gold can you create? How much weight, volume, and such? How much of an area does it encompass?

There isn't a technique which allows this. As the rules stand, i can't create an ice guy who can just cover Central Park in 3 feet of snow, or a water guy who can just fill a swimming pool with water, or a fire guy that can......eeewwww.

There should be.

Just use the matter creation rules but add Q to number of succ and don't require Willpower to make perm.

Yeah, but you can't actually create a large amount of the substance.

It depends on the technique he's using & his power rating. Say he wants to make a golden statue he'd use the Shaping technique (since EM can use all EA techniques as well, & EM can create the stuff it shapes, not just shape what's there) - he could make 3 cubic meters of gold per dot in the power. A Wall would make (Quantum + power rating) cubic meters, just like it says. All you can't do is make that stuff permanant. In most cases you'll not need to know exactly have much is created or how much it weighs - just the effects it has (like the example Alex gave).

On the other hand, EM can do anything within it's special effects (& ST approval) as a one-off stunt or a new technique - so just base the Create Element technique on Matter Creation (as Alex suggested). I'd stick to the normal MC rules (including the permanent WP to make it permanent) though - lasting for an hour per dot of EM sounds plenty for most uses you've suggested.

Ah yes, it's so nice to see activity on this thread... ::laugh

Re: Ultimatum- recheck the post, phoenix, it's been edited (and hopefully fixed!) ::hehe

Anyhow, here's the next line of targets for the shooting gallery- they're the enhancements I've worked out/salvaged/adapted for Mega-Intelligence. (The one for Mega-Wits was thrown in for flavor.) Feedback is greatly appreciated! ::halo

Black Mind (Mega-Intelligence)

Baseline humanity has always practiced espionage- some call it "the world's second oldest profession". Governments and corporations worldwide have lived or died by their ability to gather useful information about their enemies, rivals, and allies. This is no different in the Nova Age- novas with this enhancement are intelligence analysts without compare, as they can squeeze vital information out of even the most trivial-seeming sources. Of course, the existence of these novas can neither be confirmed nor denied...

System: The nova gains + 3 automatic successes on all espionage-related rolls. (That's mainly the Tradecraft and Analysis abilities, as written in _Aberrant: Directive_.) The nova can also roll Intelligence as an automatic action to recognize actionable intelligence* upon first noticing it. Finally, this enhancement adds a difficulty penalty of + [Mega-Intelligence] on all attempts to penetrate the nova's Cipher background- basically, the nova uses this enhancement in "cleaning up" his own data- and paper-trails.

Note: The nova must have the Cipher background for that last benefit to apply, and also is of little use if the nova's information is already on file somewhere. The effects of this enhancement are cumulative with Clandestine Mentality (Mega-Wits). This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

(*Actionable Intelligence: For those of you lacking the _Aberrant: Directive sourcebook_, which defines this as "information of immediate use after collection without needing analysis".)

Chemical Genius (Mega-Intelligence)

A nova with this enhancement is a virtuoso when it comes to applied chemistry. Aside from coming up with all sorts of new materials (does "Vitrium" ring a bell?), the nova gains a certain edge on the urban battlefield. Given a well-stocked janitor's closet, the nova can become a one-person chemical warfare factory.

System: The nova gains + 3 automatic successes on all rolls involving chemistry. (This includes power rolls for Molecular Manipulation, Molecular Authority, Matter Creation, and Creation Ex Nihilo.) The nova can also roll Intelligence as an automatic action to instantly recognize the potential uses and/or hazards of any nearby substances. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Cold Logic (Mega-Intelligence)

Mega-Intelligent novas are old hands at logical thinking, but they can still let their emotions and hysterics cloud their reasoning. Not so for a nova with this enhancement- while he still has emotions like anyone else, he's terrific at keeping his emotions from coloring his logic. Since he's one of those much-referred to "cooler heads", this enhancement is of particular benefit in crisis situations.

One slight problem is that while the nova can maintain his detachment when thinking about most subjects, he can't really do so when the subjects are himself and/or those people he cares for. Another problem is that the nova's "cold fish" dispassion can easily be mistaken for an actual lack of emotions (namely the "Cold" aberration from _Aberrant: Brainwaves_), which can lead others to doubt his sanity.

System: The nova gains + [Mega-Intelligence] automatic successes on all rolls where dispassionate clarity is a benefit- detecting lies, for example. It is possible to buy a second level of this enhancement, allowing the nova to regard himself and/or the people he cares for with the same detachment as everything else. This can be of much help when others are attempting to use the nova's loved ones against him- instead of suffering from bouts of anguish and self-recrimination, the nova can act with his full efficiency and do his best to rescue his loved ones from whatever predicament they've been put in.

Geometric Savant (Mega-Intelligence)

For a nova with this enhancement, using geometric equations in real life is as easy as walking down the street. No matter whether the problem is computing orbital trajectories, performing multiple-surface deflection shots, or sinking all the balls on a pool table with a single shot, the nova can handle it.

System: The nova gains + 3 automatic successes on all rolls involving applied geometry- such as ballistics and many kinds of trick shots. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Ingenuity (Mega-Intelligence)

A nova with this enhancement is a literal font of imagination (even by Mega-Intelligent standards), and is not restricted to the narrow channels of thinking evinced by too many baselines and novas alike.

System: The nova gains + [Mega-Intelligence] automatic successes on any roll that could benefit from augmented creativity and inventiveness (most artistic and scientific tasks), as well as rolls for creating new inventions. This is cumulative with all other Mega-Mental enhancements.

Intuitive Deduction (Mega-Intelligence)

Mega-Intelligent novas, by definition, are capable of finding connections between seemingly unrelated pieces of information that would otherwise elude even the most erudite baseline skilled in deduction. Novas with this enhancement take that a step further, as they can take those connections they discover and use them to chart effective courses of action towards a chosen goal with but a few minutes of thought.

System: The nova chooses a goal to work towards, takes a turn to indulge in some silent thinking, and rolls Intelligence. For each success on the roll the Storyteller grants the nova some insight (typically words of advice or hints at secret knowledge) into the right way to achieve her goal. Note: This does NOT reveal the easiest, most popular, or most politically correct way for the nova to achieve her goals- only the _best_ way. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate and requires 1 turn of uninterrupted thought.

Mental Prodigy: Psychology (Mega-Intelligence)

Witnessing the skills of a Psychological Prodigy would have Freud eating his heart out with sheer envy, if that dirty old man were still alive. Figuring out the functioning (and malfunctioning) of other people's minds is child's play for a nova with this enhancement. He can analyze the psyche of a given subject with only a few minutes' worth of conversation- her thought patterns, motivations, and mental Flaws (or mental aberrations) might as well be on open display as far as this nova is concerned. The nova can provide counseling and therapy on the level of a skilled practical psychologist- if the nova actually has formal training in psychology (a specialized field of the Medicine Ability), he's even better.

System: Whenever the nova is involved in situations or problems concerning psychology and/or mental dysfunction, the player may make an Intelligence roll. For each success achieved, he may roll an additional die when making Medicine (Psychology) rolls and any other rolls related to those tasks.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate; the effects and bonuses received last for a minimum of an hour, and possibly longer (at the Storyteller's discretion).

Mental Prodigy: Xenology (Mega-Intelligence)

A nova with this enhancement is a genius when it comes to alien lifeforms- in some cases, the nova may actually relate better with alien sapients that he does with baseline humans! Aside from making the nova an excellent candidate for First Contact (and subsequent diplomatic relations), his genius also applies to every possible facet of alien life- xenobotany, xenoecology, xenozoology, xenosociology, you name it!

System: Whenever the nova is involved in situations or problems concerning extraterrestrial life forms, and/or nonhuman terrestrial sapients, the player may make an Intelligence roll. For each success achieved, he may roll an additional die when making Xenology and Xenorelations rolls and any other rolls related to those tasks.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate; the effects and bonuses received last for a minimum of an hour, and possibly longer (at the Storyteller's discretion).

Organized (Mega-Intelligence)

You've no doubt heard about someone like this- the guy who's so "anal-retentive" that he sorts his M&M candies by color before eating them? The woman who like to categorize everything she owns as if it was a collection of museum specimens? A nova with this enhancement has taken this human gift for organization and structure to superhuman levels. Organizational tasks that normal people would find mind-numbingly boring are second nature to such novas, who make excellent accountants and comptrollers for companies.

System: The nova gains + 3 automatic successes on all rolls for tasks involving organization (and/or subtle disorganization), and can perform such tasks in less than half the time it would take a baseline to do so.

Recorder (Mega-Intelligence)

While all Mega-Intelligent novas enjoy augmented memory, a nova with this enhancement has taken that quality and become a sentient recorder of whatever data she can perceive. While not as focused as Eidetic Memory, Enhanced Memory, or Speed Reading, this enhancement nevertheless provides a definite edge in situations where the nova has to acquire massive amounts of information in very little time. Some novas have used this (in tandem with certain cyberkinetic techniques) to upload their experiences directly onto the OpNet. While current technology limits these recordings to audio/visual only, it's a sure thing that somewhere a nova genius is hard at work at perfecting a full-sensory Virtual Reality interface...

System: The nova can record all information that she perceives with perfect clarity and instant recall. Actual comprehension of the recorded data can wait until the nova has some time to think through her recorded data. Aside from making the nova into a living data recorder, this enhancement solves some of the problems of both the Eidetic Memory (recalling memorized data quickly) and Enhanced Memory (permanent data retention) enhancements. The nova can also record messages in her memory for later retrieval, and gains + [Mega-Intelligence] automatic successes on all uses of the Speed Reading enhancement.

Note that if the nova lacks the other enhancements mentioned above, she doesn't get the bonuses.

This enhancement is permanent, can be switched on or off at will, and has no quantum point cost.

Wayfarer (Mega-Intelligence)

Given the globe-trotting lives many novas end up leading, it should come as no surprise that they face certain difficulties in their journeys that others don't even consider. Aside from the extra attention they get from their status as celebrities, the use of quantum powers brings up certain questions. How does one fly to another country without being flagged down by the local air force? How does one smuggle five young orphans (who also happen to be latent novas) out of mainland China without attracting the attention of the Heaven Thunder Triad, who are always looking for more nova bodies to process into lucrative nova-derived drugs? And even if you do manage to get the kids away from the Triad, how do you get them past the customs agents and the local INS? How does one avoid Directive agents, or even nosy paparazzi? A nova with this enhancement has an intuitive understanding of both the problems faced by traveling novas and how best to evade those problems. Some novas have used this to become superhuman smugglers- whether they run Underground Railroads for innocent people or funnel black market items to First World nations has been left to their individual consciences.

System: The nova automatically reduces all rolls made by others to track, intercept, or waylay him (and/or his cargo while traveling by [Mega-Intelligence] successes. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost when used by the nova himself. If the nova wants to use this with a group of travelers or a cargo, he must spend 2 quantum points to protect the group or cargo for the duration of their journey. (The nova must also accompany the group or cargo in order to provide his protection.)

Clandestine Mentality (Mega-Wits)

A nova with this enhancement has a gift for the nonacademic aspects of espionage. These novas are the ones who can operate in the shadowy arena of covert operations with the greatest of ease.

System: The nova gains + [Mega-Wits] automatic successes on certain rolls for dealing with espionage agencies and other organizations; namely spotting their agents, detecting their operations, and avoiding their notice. This also applies to planning, noticing, and countering intrigues; and for keeping secrets.

This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost, and is cumulative with Black Mind.

More on the way... sometime. ::sleeping

Re: Ultimatum- recheck the post, phoenix, it's been edited (and hopefully fixed!)

Much better.

Geometric Savant (Mega-Intelligence)

For a nova with this enhancement, using geometric equations in real life is as easy as walking down the street. No matter whether the problem is computing orbital trajectories, performing multiple-surface deflection shots, or sinking all the balls on a pool table with a single shot, the nova can handle it.

This one I really like.. I never really thought of combining Mega-Int and applied geometry before, but the idea is awesome.. ::cool

Chemical Genius (Mega-Intelligence)

A nova with this enhancement is a virtuoso when it comes to applied chemistry. Aside from coming up with all sorts of new materials (does \"Vitrium\" ring a bell?), the nova gains a certain edge on the urban battlefield. Given a well-stocked janitor's closet, the nova can become a one-person chemical warfare factory.

A well-stocked chemistry laboratory, yes. But no amount of chemical knowledge will let you turn lead into gold (without wasting money on a particle accelerator or bored nova.. you know what I mean, right? Chemistry will only take you so far, because of those accursed laws of thermodynamics). I like the idea, though.. I have a teacher like this..

What's with the point cost on the mental prodigies? Knowledge isn't something one can turn on and off.

Witnessing the skills of a Psychological Prodigy would have Freud eating his heart out with sheer envy, if that dirty old man were still alive.

::smiley1 ::biggrin ::rolleyes

Hey, these are great - keep 'em coming for as long as the supply of Mega-Attributes (and your eyes) holds out!

Real quick as to the Kid Gloves enhancement for Mega-Strength, I don't think you really need it. The already existing Precision Enhancement allows the character to control how much damage they do with their strength all the time. Obviously any character could say no damage. So the Mega-strong character would never accidentally break anything due to his super strength.

As to the promised enhancement from me......

Tactful

(Mega-Manipulation)

Encountering a nova can be overwhelming, but encountering a Mega-social nova can absolutely befuddle the average baseline, not so for a character with this enhancement. A character with tact has learned how to apply just enough social pressure to accomplish his goals without overwhelming people. Also, the nova is so skilled with his social graces as to make the most use of his enhanced charm.

System: The character with tact will never overwhelm an individual with his Mega-Social attributes (unless he chooses to). He may choose to apply as many successes as he wishes to any social roll.

Also, the character when using any other Mega-Social enhancement may roll his Manipulation & add the success as bonus dice to any rolls. Also, the enhancement negates the -1 social penalty associated with the Unearthly Beauty aberration. This power costs 1 Quantum & lasts for 1 scene.

Here's another (maybe)......

Golden Boy

(Charisma)

Some people you just want to cheer for & a nova with this enhancement everyone wants to cheer for. There is just something about the nova that draws other people to his cause when the see him act.

System: Whenever the nova is engaged in any activity with some sort of audience he may spend a quatum point & activate this enhancement. All watching him (who are at least neutrally inclined to the nova) will here after be favorably inclined to the nova & any cause associated with the activity. The rolls Charisma vs the target's Willpower. The nova suceeds then the target will find himself being sympathic to the nova & likng the nova. The more sucesses gained the more the target jumps on the bandwagon. The effects of this enhancement lasts for 1 scene.

& another.....

Slick

(Manipulation)

Ever metting anyone you just knew could take you or could outsmart you? The nova with this enhancement really causes these feelings in others. He may not be better then his opponents, but it sure seems like it to them.

System: When activating this enhancement the nova rolls Manipulation & gains a bonus die to any Intimidation rolls made against the target. This power costs 1 quantum & lasts for a scene.

It depends on the technique he's using & his power rating. Say he wants to make a golden statue he'd use the Shaping technique (since EM can use all EA techniques as well, & EM can create the stuff it shapes, not just shape what's there) - he could make 3 cubic meters of gold per dot in the power. A Wall would make (Quantum + power rating) cubic meters, just like it says. All you can't do is make that stuff permanant. In most cases you'll not need to know exactly have much is created or how much it weighs - just the effects it has (like the example Alex gave).

On the other hand, EM can do anything within it's special effects (& ST approval) as a one-off stunt or a new technique - so just base the Create Element technique on Matter Creation (as Alex suggested). I'd stick to the normal MC rules (including the permanent WP to make it permanent) though - lasting for an hour per dot of EM sounds plenty for most uses you've suggested.

Matter Creation....that sounds good to me.

Thanx ::thumbsup

Now i can make that uber Water Lily homage i was thinking about.

Speaking of Wild Cards:

Anyone out there familiar with the Wild Cards books? If so, i was contemplating on how to make Fortunato. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here's another (maybe)......

Golden Boy

(Charisma)

Some people you just want to cheer for & a nova with this enhancement everyone wants to cheer for. There is just something about the nova that draws other people to his cause when the see him act.

System: Whenever the nova is engaged in any activity with some sort of audience he may spend a quatum point & activate this enhancement. All watching will here after be favorably inclined to the nova & any cause associated with the activity. The rolls Charisma vs the target's Willpower. The nova suceeds then the target will find himself being sympathic to the nova & likng the nova. The more sucesses gained the more the target jumps on the bandwagon.

I see where your going with this, i just think it's too broad.

As it stands, even a group ready to lynch the nova would do an about face and start waving banners with his name on it. I think the enhancement would be better balanced if it were restricted to affecting people neutral toward the nova and those who are already at least a little friendly. There should also be a time limit involved. Say it lasts for an hour or a scene. Any lasting feelings has to be reinforced thru social interaction or further use of mega social abilities.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the difference between Mater Creation and Elemental Mastery is that you do not need to spend a perm willpower point to make it perm. This makes sense since they both have the same Q min but MC allows the creation of anything.

There are two characters in the books who appear to have EM and who don't appear to be spending willpower to make their stuff perm.

The first is the EuFiber guy "B" (I can't spell this one). There is a lot of Eufiber around and he isn't described as being a head case.

The second is an Ice guy (don't remember his name but I think he is with Teen2M) who is described as making superstrong ice... and who often makes art out of ice, which is placed in freezers to be preserved. I'd guess he also has M-Witts(Art) (as does "B" for that matter).

The implication is that there is some way of making normal, perm, matter without really harsh side effects. On a side note: There is another power that might do the trick, "Entangle", although the Q min is low enough that I'd prefer EM.

Hey there, phoenix-

Re: Chemical Genius- I guess it's been a while since you've ever looked at all that toxic crap janitors are given to clean up after other people with. Find a janitorial supply store and take a look through their inventory. If a nova with this enhancement couldn't whip up a nice batch of poison gas with that stuff, then she's not really trying. ::hehe But yes, it does use "real-world" chemistry instead of that funky Gadgeteering process. It's great, but I wanted something slightly more realistic. (The inspiration- no pun intended- for this was the old MacGuyver show that ABC did once upon a time.)

Re: Mental prodigies- Check out the Aberrant Core Book, under the Mega-Intelligence listing. Basically, you pay the price to get the benefit for a few hours or so.

And on to the next contender...

Most of what you've put up looks pretty darn good, t-dev. ::cool Aside from that Golden Boy could use a bit better description of its effect (what happens when it wears off? seems the nova's victims would realize they'd been had pretty quick... And so we get yet another reason for the Aberrant War!), they're quite workable.

Re: Kid Gloves- Yeah, it's pretty close to Precision in how it works, it just has a different focus. Unless I've misremembered, what Precision lets you do is _consciously_ dictate exactly how much damage is done with one's Mega-Strong blows. What I had in mind for Kid Gloves was that it would act as an innate safety feature that was functioning constantly and without having to pay attention to it- to keep oneself from becoming the cliched "bull in the china shop", yah? I don't know about you, but I've read plenty of comics where a hyperstrong person could wreak havoc if he made even a little mistake. "Ooops, sorry. Didn't mean to push that pay phone right through your back wall, bartender... Wait, how much did you say the repairs were going to cost me?!" Instant recipe for disaster... ::devil

Keep it up folks, it looks great! ::biggrin More _is_ on the way...

Hmmm as to the after-effects of Golden Boy..... I was more picturing a slower sort of fade away of the feelings & it would tend toward apathy instead of hostility, but let me think about it.

Some more stuff,

Minute Observation

(Perception)

The nova with enhancement has becoming very adept at observing individuals & learning much about them from body language, breathing, & many other cues. The nova is so perceptive as to seem almost telepathic.

System:

The character spends a quantum point to activate this power & the effects last for 1 scene. It gives the user 3 automatic successes to all Rapport rolls, as well as, any roll to predict the actions of anyone he can observe.

(There may be something like this out there already.)

Pitiable

(Charisma)

Some people just bring the caring nature in some people. The Nova with this enhancement brings it out in everyone they meet. The character just seems to be needy & individuals flock to fill any need possible for the nova.

System:

The character spends a quantum point to activate this power & it lasts for a scene. The nova may then roll Charisma vs. the targets Willpower. If he suceeds, thye target will behave as if they had the Caregiver Nature toward the nova. The more successes the nova gets the longer the effect lasts

1 success 1 scene

2 successes 1 day

3 successes 1 week

4 succeses 1 month

5 succeses+ indefinitely

The instant the nova abuses this relationship its benefits end & the target will likely become hostile, realizing he was duped; however if the nova does abuse the realtionship then even after the power wears off the target will remain genuinely friendly to the nova. The storyteller should encourage the character to buy the friendly targets as allies.

Combat Awareness

(Perception)

Novas with this enhancement are able to put their Perception to full use in combat & become expert at predicting theri enemies moves before the make them. The user tends to appear almost precognitive in combat.

System:

The nova spends a quantum point activate this power & its effects last a scene. For the duration of the power the character may roll Perception & add the successes as bonus dice to any combat dice rolls made against targets he can perceive.

Screen Presence

Doesn't Almost Live from the APG already do that? Although I think it is a Mega-Appearence Enhancement, so maybe giving a Charisma version of it is a good idea.

Never mind I see what you are doing, with Compelling & Screen Presence you are just giving the other 2 social attributes a version of Almost Live.....never mind

Sorry Sprocket

Not a problem, t-dev ::devilangel

Re: Pitiable- I'm not sure about that one ::dontgetit - seeing as most novas make baseline humans feel incapable/incompetent, the nova would have to be either an excellent actor or pretty darn young to pull that off. (Check out Reverend Kinesys' website: he's got an enhancement called "Damn Cute" that may do what you're proposing.)

Anyhow, here's the rest of what I've dredged up for Mega-Wits, along with one for mega- Intelligence that didn't make it into the previous posting. Enjoy!

Autopilot (Mega-Wits)

Sometimes the ability to leave a scene quickly can mean the difference between life and death, especially when given that some novas have a habit of getting into quantum battles on a regular basis. A nova with this enhancement has essentially developed an autopilot system in his brain, which lets him make an escape no matter how badly hurt, drugged, drunk, or deeply asleep he is. Nova aviators beware: Some police departments _will_ file charges for Flying While Intoxicated...

System: The nova can roll Wits as an automatic action to use an appropriate power and travel to a predetermined locale even when Incapacitated, drugged, asleep, or unconscious. Of course, that's assuming the nova has sufficient quantum points to make the journey, is willing to trust to luck that he'll actually make it to his destination, and that he's not worried about being followed. Flight is the power most commonly used with this enhancement, although it works just as well with Teleport and Transmit.

This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost beyond that of the power used to travel.

Autoprogrammer (Mega-Wits)

While some Mega-Witty novas have developed superhuman control over the workings of their bodies (the "Mind Over Matter" Mega-Wits enhancement from _Aberrant: Brainwaves_), others have learned how to control their own minds. A nova with this enhancement can literally reprogram his mind as he desires.

System: The nova can control and alter his own psychological "programming" with a Wits roll. Aside from letting the nova rewrite his social and cultural conditioning at will, this also allows him to prevent or ensure certain actions on his part. This grants + [Mega-Wits] automatic successes on all rolls for tasks like staying within a chosen acting role or resisting Mega-Social attempts to influence the nova's actions.

Note: This enhancement does not allow the nova to change his Nature (or Archetype, if the nova is a Terat) with a simple Wits roll, but it is possible if the Storyteller decides that the nova has the motivation to change himself on such a basic level. Here's a fairly workable rough guideline: treat changing the nova's Nature as having the same experience cost as buying a dot of Willpower at [6 - the nova's Mega-Wits, minimum of 1] dots. The nova's player is also obliged to take pains in showing how the nova has changed via better-than-average roleplaying.

This bonus can also apply towards keeping secrets (the equivalent of placing data in a protected file), although it isn't cumulative with the effects of the Clandestine Mentality enhancement.

Born Warrior (Mega-Wits)

Mega-Witty novas with this enhancement have not only developed an innate sense of combat that normally comes only from experiencing (and surviving) enormous amounts of live combat, but have taken that sense to superhuman levels. Their fighting reflexes are far sharper than the proverbial razor's edge, and they're used to making life-or-death decisions in nanoseconds.

System: The nova gains several benefits from this enhancement. First, he can roll [Mega-Wits] dice for Initiative and apply the preferred result (usually the highest). The nova also gains a permanent + [Mega-Wits] bonus to his Initiative. (This is cumulative with Enhanced Initiative, Enhanced Reflexes, etc.)

This enhancement is essentially a quantum-augmented version of the Combat Veteran Merit- the nova cannot have both. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Instant Reaction (Mega-Wits)

When the situation has gotten hairy and every second counts, a nova with this enhancement outshines even other Mega-Witty novas with her quick thinking.

System: The nova gains + [Mega-Wits] automatic successes on all rolls involving an instant mental reaction. Good examples would be: guessing how to safely disarm a nuclear warhead three seconds before it explodes, fast-talking a security guard, and ad-libbing one's way through a live OpNet interview.

This enhancement costs one quantum point to activate, and lasts for the duration of the task.

Integration (Mega-Wits)

A nova with this enhancement has completely integrated her memory and mental capacity, making it impossible for most beings to surprise and/or ambush her.

System: The nova can neither be surprised (and suffers no penalties derived from surprise), nor can she be ambushed by any being with a Mega-Wits score lower than her own. This doesn't work against novas with Mega-Wits equal to or greater than the nova's own score- in that case, roll for surprise with a bonus of 3.

Mind Restoration (Mega-Wits)

A Mega-Witty nova with this enhancement has developed a form of mental regeneration. It's a lot like restoring lost data and software on a computer from backup files, and has proven quite a nasty surprise to those people (novas and otherwise) who use the mental alteration of others as a preferred tactic.

System: The nova can roll Wits as an automatic action to fully restore any memories she might have lost (typically via brainwashing techniques or telepathic memory alteration) and repair any damage or alterations inflicted on her mind (read: personality alterations and mental flaws/aberrations induced by others). The nova doesn't have to make a conscious decision to create her mental "backup files"- like a worm drive, it's always recording.

Note: This enhancement does not affect any alterations the nova might choose to make to her own personality, memories, or mental processes; nor does it affect any mental aberrations that the nova might develop from gaining too much permanent Taint.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point per use, but the effects are more or less permanent.

Prudence (Mega-Wits)

Over the course of human civilization, the quality erroneously known as "common sense" has proven time and time again to have excellent survival value. While rare in the extreme, some novas have taken this quality and developed it to superhuman levels. The innate practical, everyday wisdom of a nova with this enhancement lets her avoid making stupid and/or obvious mistakes even when her judgment is impaired by mental powers and/or drugs. She can also judge the value of both any memes she comes across and any possible courses of actions that she (or others) might take, and extrapolate their consequences.

System: The nova can avoid making stupid and obvious mistakes (no roll required) even while under the influence of mental powers and/or drugs. The nova can also instinctively sense the value of a given meme or course of action; and automatically understands _why_ it is worthwhile, trivial, or flat-out stupid. Finally, the nova can automatically deduce the possible consequences of a given meme or course of action. In all three cases, the nova's player may ask the Storyteller for advice in any situation that could possibly be solved through uneducated intuitive reasoning. Note that since this enhancement is a quantum-augmented version of Common Sense, the nova can't have (and has no need for) that Merit.

Sentinel (Mega-Wits)

In any world not populated entirely by pacifistic saints, the ability to pick up on potential problems and/or threats through sheer intuition alone has always been a blessing. Novas with this enhancement have taken this to superhuman levels, as they intuitively know when something is out of place and deserves their attention upon first noticing the thing in question. Some novas use this to become excellent bodyguards and investigators, while others use this intuitive vigilance to safeguard themselves and their associates.

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes on rolls to notice things, beings, or events that are either out of place or seem wrong to him and deserve his attention.

Wily (Mega-Wits)

A nova with this enhancement has an innate flair for lateral thinking. Her ability to look at things from multiple perspectives and to question and reassess existing assumptions often lead the nova to find workable solutions to problems that leave other Mega-Witty novas stumped.

System: The nova gains + [Mega-Wits] automatic successes on any roll that could benefit from the use of lateral thinking. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Wrecker (Mega-Wits)

Novas with this enhancement have an undeniable gift for the destabilization (and preventing the destabilization) of both concepts and other people. While some of these novas restrict themselves to ruining and/or protecting deserving targets, others can and have used this to wreak sheer havoc with the both the lives of other people and society as a whole. Indiscriminate and unethical use of this ability is likely to prove yet another reason for the upcoming Aberrant War.

System: The nova gains + [Mega-Wits] extra dice on any roll made to destroy (or prevent the destruction of) nonphysical things. Examples of possible targets include reputations, governments, political campaigns, relationships, scientific theories, other peoples' careers, religions, and so on.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and lasts for the duration of the nova's attempt to destroy a chosen target.

Cryptic (Mega-Intelligence)

Mega-Intelligent novas, by their very nature, have developed intellectual capabilities beyond that of any baseline human who has ever lived. This makes such novas seem very strange and difficult for even the brightest of baseline geniuses to understand. A nova with this enhancement has further developed her intellectual capabilities to the point where even other Mega-Intelligent novas have serious difficulties when they attempt to understand her reasoning, ideas, and activities. Needless to say, baselines would find a nova with this enhancement to be just about incomprehensible.

System: The nova's reasoning, ideas, and plans are extremely difficult for beings of lesser intelligence to comprehend. Others must roll Mega-Intelligence against the nova's [Mega-Intelligence +1] to make any sense at all of her reasoning, ideas, and plans. Those who fail the roll will be utterly unable to figure out her goals, methods, and activities. (They will also be unable to _knowingly_ interfere with said goals/activities, but accidental interference is still possible... barely.) Baselines and novas lacking Mega-Intelligence automatically fail this roll.

This enhancement is always in effect, and costs no quantum points to use.

My stuff for Mega-Perception will be coming up soon... once I decipher that mess! ::devilangel

(T-dev, that site I mentioned is at http://home.insightbb.com/~kinesys/. Fair warning, though- it seems he's revamped the site since the last time I'd visited, and I couldn't find the enhancements he'd posted. Plenty of stuff for Adventure!, though... If you can't find it at the site, I'll see about digging through my stuff for the hardcopy I printed out a while back.)

Combat Awareness

(Perception)

Novas with this enhancement are able to put their Perception to full use in combat & become expert at predicting theri enemies moves before the make them. The user tends to appear almost precognitive in combat.

System:

The nova spends a quantum point activate this power & its effects last a scene. For the duration of the power the character may roll Perception & add the successes as bonus dice to any combat dice rolls made against targets he can perceive.

t-dev, Combat Awareness is broken dude.

Your basically giving people 4 to 5 dice on averege to add to ALL combat rolls against anyone that person is in combat with. Any extra combatants he/she can just use combat awareness on in the next turn...or just multi-task the roll.

Broken.

Tell me what you think of this:

Combat Awareness

(Perception)

Novas with this enhancement are able to put their Perception to full use in combat & become expert at predicting their enemies’ moves before they make them. The user tends to appear almost precognitive in combat.

System: The nova spends a quantum point and rolls mega perception dice. The successes on that roll are applied as a bonus to initiative, and also negate the negative for fighting blind as well as rear, flank, multiple opponent and ambush bonuses. Against an ambush, the nova can add successes on the Combat Awareness roll on his/her awareness check. This enhancement lasts for one turn or one scene for 3 quantum.

Sprocket,

Where do you find the time man?

You've come up with some fine enhancements. I have but one general criticism though.

A red flag always pops up in my head when i see AUTO SUCCESSES and ANY ROLL in the same sentence. ::blink The problem i see is the uses become seriously too broad. When enhancements with auto successes come up in the system, they usually can apply to one or two specific skills. I see in your enhancements a tendency for the auto successes to apply to such a wide range of occurences that a wily player could twist the enhancement to work for him/her in a large variety of circumstances.

In other words, narrow the uses down a bit.

Combat Awareness

(Perception)

Novas with this enhancement are able to put their Perception to full use in combat & become expert at predicting their enemies’ moves before they make them.... The user tends to appear almost precognitive in combat.

System: The nova spends a quantum point and rolls mega perception dice. The successes on that roll are applied as a bonus to initiative, and also negate the negative for fighting blind as well as rear, flank, multiple opponent and ambush bonuses. Against an ambush, the nova can add successes on the Combat Awareness roll on his/her awareness check. This enhancement lasts for one turn or one scene for 3 quantum.

In other words, even if someone is totally blind and/or in the dark and/or unable to perceve his foe; he can still make a normal perception roll to negate that problem and also get a bonus to initiative?

This enhancement is a combination of enhanced initiative, blind fighting, and has elements of 360 degree vision.

When creating enhancements/powers/extras/skills/etc; beware the temptation to completely replace an existing one with another that is its superior in all ways and gives more stuff besides. Normally when one power is completely superior to another, the Q min for one is much higher than the other.

Example: Even if someone has Hardbody, there is still reason for him to get both INV &/or Impervious. Although those three overlap, they are also seperate.

Rugged (Mega-Stamina)

Prerequisites: Mega-Stamina 6+, 2 levels of the Resilience enhancement

Novas who develop the upper levels of Mega-Stamina (Mega-Stamina 6 or more) often develop certain inherent resistances to injury that are literally beyond anything that is could be considered human.

System: A nova can have up to 5 levels of this enhancement, with the benefits described below.

1- Any bashing damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. The nova gets + [Mega-Stamina / 2] additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss).

2- Any bashing damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. Any lethal damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. The nova gets + [Mega-Stamina] additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss).

3- Any bashing or lethal damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. The nova is immune to the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss). The nova gets + [Mega-Stamina / 2] additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of one type of physical damage (such as damage taken from falls).

4- Any bashing damage taken by the nova is quartered before soak. Any lethal damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. The nova is immune to the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss). The nova gets + [Mega-Stamina] additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of one type of physical damage (such as damage taken from falls).

5- The nova soaks all bashing damage as Stun damage. Any lethal damage taken by the nova is quartered before soak. The nova is immune to the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss). The nova is immune to one type of physical damage (such as damage taken from falls).

I just wanted to comment on this enhancement:

This is by far my favorite one of yours Sprocket. Why? Because it fixes a problem i see in the game concerning mega stamina. As it stands, no one can just go for the mega stamina brick character without having to buy many dots in powers like Armor and Invulnerability with the broad catergory extra.

One shouldn't have to do that in order to stnad up to large weapons or mega strong novas. One can be invulnerable without having too much endurance just as one can have loads of stamina and endurance without being Invulnerable. The Hulk has Uber stamina while Superman is invulnerable.

You pretty much created an enhancement that handles that circumstance, and you did it with the right balance. No one can just start out with that enhancement, they have to build to it.

Hats off to you for that one ::thumbsup

In other words, even if someone is totally blind and/or in the dark and/or unable to perceve his foe; he can still make a normal perception roll to negate that problem and also get a bonus to initiative?

This enhancement is a combination of enhanced initiative, blind fighting, and has elements of 360 degree vision.

When creating enhancements/powers/extras/skills/etc; beware the temptation to completely replace an existing one with another that is its superior in all ways and gives more stuff besides. Normally when one power is completely superior to another, the Q min for one is much higher than the other.

Example: Even if someone has Hardbody, there is still reason for him to get both INV &/or Impervious. Although those three overlap, they are also seperate.

You know, after i posted it i thouht about that.

You're right. How about this:

Combat Awareness

(Perception)

Novas with this enhancement are able to put their Perception to full use in combat & become expert at predicting their enemies’ moves before they make them. The user tends to appear almost precognitive in combat.

System: The nova spends a quantum point and rolls mega perception dice. The successes are applied as a bonus to initiative, and also subtracts1 difficulty to the negative for fighting blind as well as rear, flank, multiple opponent and ambush bonuses for attackers the nova is aware of. Against an ambush, the nova can add successes on the Combat Awareness roll on his/her awareness check. This enhancement lasts for one turn or one scene for 3 quantum.

This way, the nova with Combat Awareness still has to see his attackers and be aware of the danger in order to get the bonuses.

The nova will just be that much better if he had blind fighting and 360 degree vision.

Here are some of mine .

Mega-Strength

Assault – The Nova channels his Physical Might into a barrage of blows that overwhelm their opponents with raw force.

System:The Nova Spends 1 Quantum to add dice equal to their rating in Mega-Strength to his Brawl dice pool. This enhancement lasts for a duration of one attack.

Mega-Dexterity

Velocity – Speed kills, especially when the Nova in question is wielding melee weapons.

System:By spending 1 Quantum, the Nova may add their rating in Mega-Dexterity +1 to the damage dice pool for Melee attacks. This also applies to thrown weapons. This enhancement lasts for one attack.

Mega-Cha

Encourage – This Nova is the one person you want backing you up. With this enhancement may bolster the efforts of their allies through sheer force of personality. System:The Nova spends 1 Quantum and rolls Charisma ( + Mega – Charisma). On a success, the Nova may spend a Willpower to give a automatic success to an ally. A Nova who uses this ability can take no other action that turn( even defensive!) The Target ally must be within visual range of the Nova using Encourage.

Follow the Leader – A Nova with this enhancement can whip even the most motley band of Misfits into a well oiled unit.

System: By spending 1 quantum, the Nova may roll initiative for the entire group( a number of persons equal to twice the nova's Mega-Charisma Rating), with each character using the Leaders result( dice roll only, the players still use their own initiative modifier). The initiative bonus from Tactical Prodigy is factored into this result. A player may “Break Ranks” and choose to use their own initiative result if it is higher than the Leaders.

Review and critique.

Follow the Leader – A Nova with this enhancement can whip even the most motley band of Misfits into a well oiled unit.

System: By spending 1 quantum, the Nova may roll initiative for the entire group( a number of persons equal to twice the nova's Mega-Charisma Rating), with each character using the Leaders result( dice roll only, the players still use their own initiative modifier). The initiative bonus from Tactical Prodigy is factored into this result. A player may “Break Ranks” and choose to use their own initiative result if it is higher than the Leaders.

Review and critique.

Cool.

But do you think perhaps a willpower roll would be reguired by the person who doesn't want to follow?

They are being influenced by the mega charismatic nova right?

::biggrin One thing I love about Eon is that the boards fix your broken ideas for you & save you the work.

Sprocket...As to Pitiable, I agree novas tend to do that, but I wanted something that would do what the enhancement does. I think it fits consinder you have enhancement like Mr Nobody out there already. So making an enhancement that overcomes the awe factor has precident.

Sprocket I couldn't find anything about Aberrant on the Site, but there was lots of other cool stuff, so it was not a wasted trip. Thanx.

Glad you liked that site, t-dev. I _did_ finally manage to locate my hardcopy of the "Damn Cute" enhancement I mentioned earlier- I can e-mail it to you if you like. (Since it's not mine, I'd rather not post it here.)

BTW, here's what I've managed to salvage for Mega-Perception. Enjoy! ::laugh

Analytic Scent (Mega-Perception)

A nova with this enhancement has developed his sense of smell to superhuman levels. Aside determining distinctive odors for just about anything he encounters, the nova can sniff out poisons, drugs, and explosives (among other things) with unequaled accuracy. Some novas with this enhancement have done quite well working as "super-noses" in the perfume and wine industries- or as narcotics agents.

System: The nova can determine distinctive odors for just about anything he encounters and can differentiate between (and recognize) people, places, and things by scent alone. The nova can distinguish the component scents (and therefore the ingredients) of a given odor with near-perfect accuracy. If the Storyteller decides a substance is present only in trace quantities, she may require a Perception or Awareness roll to allow the nova to detect it. The nova may also roll Perception to sense the emotions of a person by their scent. The nova gains a minimum of +3 extra dice when making any Perception roll based on scent, including use of the Bloodhound enhancement. Finally, the nova can halve any penalties relating to darkness by scenting other beings around him.

This enhancement is always on and costs no quantum points to use.

Disaster Sense (Mega-Perception)

For years, scientists around the world have acknowledged the ability for animals to sense impending natural disasters- earthquakes, tidal waves, and volcanic eruptions have all triggered erratic behavior in many kinds of animals days before any humans even noticed the danger. Novas with this enhancement have recovered this ability from the evolutionary dustbin and have raised it to new levels of sensitivity and accuracy.

System: The nova gains + 3 automatic successes on all Perception rolls involving her current environmental conditions. She can also roll Mega-Perception as an automatic action to sense any impending natural disasters that will occur in her current locale up to [Mega-Perception x 2] days in advance. One success means the nova learns that a natural disaster is going to occur in the near future. Each additional success beyond the first grants one of the following types of data: the exact time of the disaster, the exact location (aka the danger zone), and the exact nature of the disaster. The nova always retains control over how she applies her extra successes from the Mega-Perception roll.

Insight (Mega-Perception)

While Mega-Perceptive novas are great at noticing everything around them, they're not necessarily great at retaining that data- if the nova deems something unimportant, he's likely to forget about it. Needless to say, that can prove embarrassing at best- at worst, that can be downright lethal. A nova with this enhancement is less prone to that problem, as he has a limited ability to review any data he perceives.

System: The nova can make a Mega-Perception roll to gain a mental image of something he had previously dismissed as not being important. When used in conjunction with certain abilities (Investigation is only the most obvious example), this grants + 1 die per success as the nova reviews his data. Note: This bonus is doubled if the nova also has the Recorder (Mega-Intelligence) enhancement.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and lasts for the duration of the task.

Introspection (Mega-Perception)

A nova with this enhancement has developed superhuman insight into the ulterior motives that underlie people's actions- both her own and those of others. Once she determines what makes a given person "tick" psychologically, she can use that knowledge to her best advantage in just about any situation.

System: If the nova knows the Nature of a given person, she gains + 3 automatic successes on any rolls made to take action against that person. Since she knows what makes the target tick, she is better able to predict that person's actions and act effectively against him. This enhancement can be used in just about any form of person-to-person conflict- sword duels to the death, social oneupsmanship, and seduction attempts are all equally viable. This enhancement is always on and costs no quantum points to use.

Lifesense (Mega-Perception)

Some Mega-Perceptive novas have learned how to perceive the "life force", for lack of a less-corny term, of the lifeforms around them. This effectively functions as a "life radar", letting the nova detect and possibly identify anything alive that's within [Perception + Mega-Perception] x 20 meters of his position.

System: By spending 1 quantum point, taking an action and making a Perception roll; the nova can sense the health levels of other living things. One success reveals the location and size of a given lifeform, while 2 or more successes let the nova identify the lifeform with increasing degrees of detail and determine its relative health. Once activated, this enhancement lasts for the rest of the scene.

Parabolic Hearing (Mega-Perception)

Novas with this enhancement have essentially "telescopic hearing"- by focusing in on a given location, they can hear sounds from incredible distances. They can also hear sounds so faint as to be inaudible.

System: The nova spends a quantum point to activate this enhancement for [Perception + Mega-Perception] turns. While doing so, the nova gains an additional 3 dice on any roll related to hearing. (This is cumulative with Hyperenhanced Hearing.) The nova can "magnify" sounds (to his own hearing) by a factor of 10 for each dot of Mega-Perception the nova has. (x100 at Mega-Perception 2, x1000 at Mega-Perception 3, and so on.) The nova can also automatically home in on the source of any sound he can hear without a roll.

Use of this enhancement can negate range penalties if used with the Sonar function of Hyperenhanced Hearing, and also negates difficulty penalties for striking at novas with the Sizemorph (Shrink) power.

Psi Sensitivity (Mega-Perception)

Prerequisite: either Quantum Attunement or Psychic Awareness (from _Aberrant: Brainwaves_)

A nova with this enhancement has developed the ability to perceive subquantum energies. While other novas wouldn't know psionics from persimmons, this nova instinctively senses the differences (and the problematic interactions) between quantum and subquantum energies. (Storyteller note: Given Max Mercer's establishment and leadership of Project Pandora, one can be sure that a nova with this enhancement who doesn't keep the existence of psionics "under wraps" will come to his attention sooner or later...)

System: The nova can automatically sense any psionic power used against her or in her presence as visible effects. If the nova is targeted by a psionic power, she can make an Awareness roll to sense the identity of her attacker (against the psion's Wits + Mode rating). The nova can also scan psionic beings by making a Medecine roll; this allows the nova to sense the rough level of Psi possessed by her subject and determine whether the subject's suffering from psionic dysfunction. With three or more successes, the nova may determine the Aptitudes and Modes of her subject.

The automatic function of this enhancement has no quantum point cost, but the scanning function costs one quantum point per turn to use.

True Intent (Mega-Perception)

A nova with this enhancement has developed a near-psychic insight into the intent behind the actions of a person she observes. With only a few moments of watching, the nova can sense why the subject is performing a certain action, what the subject intends to do, and what the subject hopes to achieve. Aside from using this to avoid would-be assailants, crooks and stalkers, novas with this enhancement can also blow the cover of espionage agents and paparazzi with the greatest of ease.

System: The nova can roll Perception to determine the motivations, plans, and goals behind the actions of a given subject. One success reveals the basic intent of the subject's actions and the basic motivation behind his actions. Additional successes reveal increasingly detailed data about the subject's intentions, goals, etc.

This enhancement costs one quantum point to use.

Example: Simon DeHavilland is a newly-erupted teen nova from Ottawa, and a mastermind with the ability to manipulate spacetime among his many other quantum gifts. One evening in the summer of 2009, he's driving down a lonely stretch of the highway and minding his own business when he notices four guys in a red pickup truck about 40 meters behind him. Taking a closer look at them in his rearview mirror, he notices that they're all burly rednecks who don't look happy. Since Simon has Mega-Perception 5 and True Intent, he easily senses that they're members of the Church of Michael Archangel, heavily armed, drunk and out looking for some trouble to shoot- and as far as they're concerned, he qualifies. Fearing for his life, Simon goes all out and maxes his Warp power. After the truck vanishes, Simon heads home and decides to sign up for the student exchange program he's been offered. Japan certainly seems safer than Canada right now...

Ninety years later, puzzled scientists from McMurdo Base find a well-preserved red pickup truck sitting in an ice cavern 100 meters below the surface of the Antarctic glacier, complete with four deep-frozen bigots...

Void Sense (Mega-Perception)

Baseline humans are a product of their environment- and one thing that nearly all of them require in order to function psychologically in a microgravity environment is a local vertical. Without something to orient themselves to, untrained baselines (and many novas) become hopelessly disoriented, nauseated, and terrified before losing control of their body functions. For most, only astronautics training can alleviate this. Mega-Perceptive novas with this enhancement have no such troubles. Much like Adaptability lets a nova survive without air, food, and water; this enhancement lets the nova adapt mentally to a truly three-dimensional environment without any applicable "up" or "down". While a nova doesn't actually _need_ this enhancement to operate in space, he'll never do as well as a nova with Void Sense.

System: The nova gains + 3 automatic successes on any rolls involving space navigation or maneuvering in microgravity or other environments where there's no real "up or down". He also doesn't suffer any penalties that result from not having a local vertical to orient himself with, and is wholly immune to vertigo.

(NOTE: For game purposes, untrained baselines and novas are at +3 difficulties on all rolls when in space without a local vertical to orient themselves with. This can be alleviated with the 1-point Merit "Space Rat"- this Merit _can_ be earned with experience points to reflect a week or two of training, and is open to baselines, novas, psiads, daredevils, and the rest of the zoo. Novas with the Void Sense enhancement for Mega-Perception cannot have and do not need this Merit.)

Off to recover, then start in on the powers... Ouch! ::wacko

I am currently reveiwing sprockets Mega-enhancements and de-bugging area's of concern. any criticism is intended to be constructive and delivered with the utmost respect.

Re: Anodyne ( Mega-charisma)

Have you ever known someone who seemed to light up any room he or she entered? The sort of person who can make your day cheerier and more hopeful just by showing up? Novas with this enhancement exemplify this to the nth degree, as they are living fonts of psychological vitality. This effect makes the stress and mental damage of the people around them seem to instantly melt away in their presence (if only for a little while). Needless to say, others (nova and baseline alike) find these novas to be extremely pleasant company. Novas who manifest this ability sometimes also develop superhuman skills in psychology and mental therapy, reflecting their aptitude for ensuring the mental health of those around them.

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes on rolls involving positive social interaction, and can function at his top psychological capacity indefinitely. He can also recover from permanent mental disorders (including those derived from Taint) as if they were temporary and is immune to both despair and depression. (This is mental fortitude, not polyannaism- novas with this enhancement are no more and no less perceptive of their circumstances than any other nova.) If the nova has the Telepathy power, he can repair permanent mental traumas (read: mental disorders, certain flaws, and Willpower loss) as if they were temporary AND gets a difficulty bonus of -2 on power rolls involving beneficial telepathic effects. The nova's presence is enough to temporarily dampen the mental traumas and stress of all beings within 10 meters of the nova (or who are in telepathic contact with him), if the nova desires. If the nova wants to; he can perform a \"laying on of hands\" on up to [the nova's Mega-Charisma] people that are not opposed to, hostile towards, or prejudiced against him once every 24 hours. This results in the recipients being able to regain up to [the nova's Mega-Charisma] temporary Willpower points.

This enhancement is permanent and usually has no quantum point cost. The \"laying on of hands\" function is the exception, and costs 2 quantum points to use.

Isn't this a little broad? I like the auto successes, but the ability to heal taint-related madness is a little much. The ability to restore willpower is also very strong, it might deserve it's own enhancement.

Seems to me like your right. Healing from taint related disorders is done by Taint resistance in Mega-int by the way.

Well it doesn´t really heal them, it just lowers their severity by the level of your Mega-int. This means if you get Taint 6 and delusions for example, but you do have mega-int 4 with the apropriate enhancement, it turns out to affect you only as if it was a mere 2 Taint-aberration; which is only slightly above the normally ocurring delusions.

Example: Your willpower is 7. Your taint is 6. You have Mega-Int 4(Taint Resistance). You also have the aberations : Glowing Eyes, Ichy Skin, & Insane(Constantly Talks about Poetry) (i.e. obsession).

You are stuck with the eyes. That is physical & constant.

The Skin requires a willpower roll to avoid scraching, but you roll willpower at -6 dice (min 1) because you have 6 taint.

The obsesion is a mental disorder. It can be avoided with a willpower roll, but you roll 7 - 6 + 4. I.e. you get 5 dice. This is because your (4) taint resistance counter acts the taint.

And the above ability is insane. It is way too broad. It duplicates in part (or is superior to) a Q5 min power [aberation transer + perm, would let you remove (well, move) an aberation], it restores willpower, it grants 3 autosucc in *far* more situations than either Trickster or the other. It aids telepathy.

I'd break it into 4 or more seperate powers. At least one of them should be an extra for healing. Another should be an extra for telepathy. And restoring someone's willpower should cost you a point of willpower.

Archived