Aberrant RPG - Post your Quantum Powers and Enh. here

CHILL

Okay, what Quantum Powers, Enhancements et al have people com up with?  Or have you come up with a clever use of a current power, or a combination of powers?

Post the details here, complete with the 'System:' if you have sorted that out.  Im planning to take some of the really good ones and post them in the Aberrant Section of the web site.

Right then, get posting  :tounge2

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quantum Shield

Q Min: 1

This power defends against quantum adjusting powers in the same way that psychic shield defends against the mind.  The Quantum adjusting powers in the core book are Q-Leech, Q-Vampire, Disrupt, Quantum Imprint, (and "effects other" from various powers).  Every point of Q-Shield raises the difficulty to effect him by 2 and provides 2 soak.  See Psychic Shield for more details.

Emotion Shield

Q Min: 1

This power is the mirror opposite of Psychic Shield (see Psychic shield).  Psychic shield defends against mental but not emotion powers, Emotion Shield does the opposite.  Emotion altering powers in the core book include Empathic Manipulation and many of the social abilities (Face of Terror, Awe, etc).  Note that this power doesn't defend against normal social abilities, only quantum enhanced ones.  Every point of E-Shield raises the difficulty of effecting the character by 2 and provides 2 soak.

Example: Timmy the Trickster has Manipulation 5 & Mega-Manipulation 4 with the Trickster enhancement.  Timmy has

just been caught by LeadHead, who has Willpower 3 and five

dots of E-Shield.  Timmy activates his trickster enhancement

and trys to convince Lead to let him go.  Timmy gets 6 normal

successes, 4 more from his Mega-Dice, and 3 autosuccesses

from his trickster enhancement.  All 3 autosuccesses bounce

off of LeadHead's E-Shield, as do all 4 from the mega-dice,

but the other 6 are more than enough to convince Lead that Timmy really doesn't deserve to spend time in jail.

• 2 weeks later...

Bodyshift

Level: 2

Quantum Minimum: 3

Dice Pool: Stamina + Bodyshift

Range: Self

Duration: Maintenance

Area: N/A

Effect: Allows the Nova to reshape his own body, within physcial limitations

Multiple action: Yes

Description: This power is a lesser vairent of shapeshift, allowing some physcial alteration, but without the total freedom of Shapeshift. A Nova with this power has more control over the changes that take place than one with Apperance Alteration, but cannot add or remove more than 50 pounds, cannot increase of decrease size by more than Sizemorph 1 or increase or decrease any aspect of their figure by 30% or so. However, this will allow the nova to reshape organs, create weaponry or armour, increase or decrease size, and alter the body to make it better adapted to a certain environment.

Each success rolled can be placed into one dot of a power or body modification level, and will last until the Nova stops maintianing them

:withstupid

Dreamwalking

Basically, it's Telepathy, with a weakness: target must be asleep. To compensate for this, the duration is extended to Special: as long as the target is asleep.

The rest of the power is just special effects. It brings the nova's consciousness into the dream of the target, and normal telepathy-like effects can be acted out in there, such as mindreading, memory alteration and so on. Aspects of the dream can also be changed with a contested Willpower roll. The winner gets to dictate alterations to the dream, or negate an attempted alteration.

My dreamlord character possesses this power.

Mega Stamina Enhancement - Photosynthetic

Basically, with this enhancement, you can curb the Nova sized appetite with mostly mere water. Could be partial or complete if bought twice, I suppose.

Would probably need revision before it could be truly statistically usable, but so long as you don't need to test its limits or anything it'll function.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a character that started with the minature i was painting when the story teller told me he was planing on having the game.  It just so happened to be the Black Dragon from D&D.  I asked "hey can I be a dragon" with some trepadation the ST said Ok. For the sory line behind him I looked to Aztec mythology, specificaly the death gawd Micatlantecuhtli because his symbols were a bat or a skull.  So my character thinks he's a death gawd.  I wanted my character to evertualy develope power over the dead.

The storyteller and I though it should be like a weakened version of melecular manipulation. So decided that I should have to have a minimum 5 quanta. I realy realy liked the animate power of the suite, the reast of the suite is useless if you're restricted to dead bodies. I want the suite to have a differnt feel than the necromancer from Diablo. Plus, it still has to be belivable in a sci-fi setting so I can't be conjuring spirits and stuff. Most of all I wanted it to be useful.

Here's what I came up with so far for what my suite power should have:

the three I definatly have.

1) Animate zombies. like molectular manipulation but only works on dead bodies. I can't decide if it would be reasonable to say that the zombies after being raised would have some level of autonomy (such as attacking by them selves) or if the have to be concentrated on (like a meat pupet). There would be a detteriation rate of a few hours as well.

2) Blood Golum. like quantum construct but that caracter has to use a body (full of blood) or atleast one heath level of his own blood the summon it.

3) Wound Transfer. like healing but the health level of damage or non-aberation alment has to be put some where. such as your self, another character, or one of the zombies. the range would be touch.

Some that I'm not sure about how to make Work. I can only incude two more.

1) Craft Dead. molding dead bodies into Vozhd like the Tzimisce in vampire. sounds cool at first maybe can be used to make longer lasting zombies/constructs makeing them last for days or with enough sucesses perminate. just having a bit or troble figuring out the sustem[so far this is a leading contender to make it into the suit]

2)speck with dead. Like Telepathy with the recently decased. This was one that sounded cool at first but after taking a step back seemed a bit like D&D. I gues it can be explained that it's like looking into a hard drive that's been unpluged, where the character can just go thought the old memories untill the brain is too rotted.

3) death's eyes. like ESP but only works on the point of veiw on corpes.  such as a burred body chould only provide info about the inside of the coffin of a very loud noise out side or a skull would only be able to "see" in one direction.

4)blighted wind. like bioentropic storm but only effecting living beings.

5) drain life. Draw health levels the same way quantum vampire draws quanta from target making him look more aged or they fall dead. [another contender]

If any one have seen an attempt to make neromacy using the aberant system that would be helpful. also help me decide how to complete my suite.

• 1 month later...

I like the power too, even though I have removed the possibility to "check for quantum" with Node from my game. I was thinking about something similar to this power earlier today and my idea was that each dot would give others +1 difficulty to detect your nova status or perceive your power signature in order to analyze it, if you were scrutinized by such methods. In my game this would only work against mega-perception powers such as Quantum Attunement, or quantum powers which somehow depend on the analysis of another nova's powers, such as Disrupt and Quantum Forgery and possibly others. Extra difficulty is more balanced than just getting some dice, in my opinion, but other than that I can't see anything wrong with it. It would help stealth novas a lot and you can never get too many of those.

James (the ST of the Tuesday Night AeonOnline game) came up with a fix for the power.  I think this fixes alot of the problems, let me know guys... The changes were to balance the power as he saw it, btw.  I changed the Multiple Actions, because it was originally N/A when it was a permanent power, made it Yes, because there is no reason an extra action couldn't be taken the round this is activated.

:)

Quantum Mask

Level: 2 (was 1 originally)

Quantum Minimum: 3 (was 1 originally)

Dice Pool: N/A

Duration: Scene (was permanent originally)

Effect: Provides one die roll per dot on all attempts to resist detection by quantum powers.

Multiple Actions: Yes (was originally n/a)

Description: Quantum Mask does for the character while his powers are active what the Dormancy Background does for a character that has "dormed down."  Each dot in Quantum Mask allows the character to roll one die in a resisted roll against any attempts to detect the nova for what he is using the Node background or the Quantum Attunement enhancement.  Unlike Dormancy, however, Quantum Mask does not hide any Taint, nor will it mask any accompanying aberrations.  The power does enable a nova to remain relatively undetectable as a nova, even while his powers are still "up" or "active," although if he uses any of his powers that produce some form of visible effect, he will be seen for what he really is.  Quantum Mask dice are not combined with Dormancy dice, since the two abilities affect the character while in different states.

Extras: None

I would add the limitation, "can't be used when using certain powers".  I.e., this power is a "dorm" while your powers are still usable.  Fine, but if you are actively using powers, you run into the "I'm going to hide my flash light but actively use it at the same time" argument.

What powers can or can't be use in combination with this would depend on the S.T.  I'd suggest q-bolt to start with.

Hmmm.....similar to a power I have in my games.  I tend to think of Node as a "passive" receiver.  As far as Dormancy goes...well, it's pretty much passive too -- except if the player want's an "alternate" form {as Level 4 or 5 can do..}.:

Anyway...here is the first of the powers.  It allows a Nova to detect and analyze another Nova's powers.

Quantum Detection

Quantum Minimum: 2

Sensing Range: Self

Sensing Area: {{Quantum + Power Rating} x 100 meters} radius

Analyzing Range: {{Quantum + Power Rating} x 10 meters)

Analyzing Area: N/A

Effects: Quantum + number of successes versus opponent's Dormancy or Quantum Invisibility to sense a Nova.

Multiple Actions: Yes

Description: A Nova with Quantum Detection has learned to analyze the Quantum Universe on a sub-molecular level.  Thru Quantum Detection, a Nova can both detect another Nova and then analyze what Quantum related abilities that Nova has.  Detecting another Nova requires the simple expenditure of Quantum and rolling {Perception + Quantum Detection}.  The successes rolled are added to a number of automatic successes equal to the character's Quantum rating and Node rating.

After expanding her Quantum senses, the character can attempt to fine-tune her analysis of what powers the Nova possesses.  The character spends the Quantum and rolls the same dice as for detecting.  Each success gives the character insight into the other Nova's Quantum related abilities.  The player may continue to roll, as per an extended dice roll, in order to learn more about a particular Nova's Quantum abilities -- but each roll costs 2 Quantum Points.  The Storyteller notes how many successes were obtained, then "spends" the successes in the following order {telling the player what Quantum related abilities the Nova has}

> Node: 1 Success per dot

> Quantum Rating: 1 Success per dot

> Taint {Add 2 x Chrysalis for analyzing}: 1 Success per dot

> Mega-Attributes {Lowest to highest}: 1 Success per dot

> Enhancements: 1 Success

> Level 1 Powers {each; Lowest to highest}: 1 + 1 Success per dot

> Level 2 Powers {each; Lowest to highest}: 2 + 1  Success per dot

> Level 3 Powers {each; Lowest to highest}: 4 + 1 Success per dot

> Level 4 Powers {each; Lowest to highest}: 6 + 1 Success per dot

> Level 5 Powers {each; Lowest to highest}: 8 + 1 Success per dot

> Level 6 Powers {each; Lowest to highest}: 10 + 1 Success per dot

{Example:  El Cuchillo, in the Aberrant Main Book on page 283.  Blackbird, a Nova working for the Directive, rolls 8 total successes to analyze El Cuchillo's Quantum abilities while on a stakeout, after having already sensed El Cuchillo.  The ST tells the player the following: Node is a 1st Instar <0 Successes>, Quantum Rating is 3 <3 Successes>, Mega-Stamina of 1 <1 Success>, Mega-Wits of 2 <2 Successes> and Mega-Dex of unknown rating .  If Blackbird wants to continue analyzing El Cachillo, she will have to spend 2 Quantum and roll again.  She will pick up where she left off, and in this case she has two "left-over" successes to continue with the analyzing...}

Here is the second Power.  It is an alternate form of Invisibility, meant to hide a Nova from being detected as such.

Quantum Invisibility

Effects: Quantum + number of successes versus opponent's Node or Quantum Detection to remain undetected.

Description: Quantum Invisibility makes it virtually impossible for a Nova to be detected thru the use of Node.  Quantum Invisibility not only tones down the Quantum Signature of the character, it can actually cloak physical aberrations brought on by excess taint.

When a character activates Quantum Invisibility, roll Wits + Q.Invisibility.  The successes rolled are added to a number of automatic successes equal to the character's Quantum rating and Dormancy rating. To detect a Nova using Quantum Invisibility simply roll Node or Quantum Detection.  If the opposed roll is beaten or tied by the Nova using Quantum Invisibility, then that Nova is not detected as such.

As for physical aberrations, the Nova may spend successes to cloak each one.  These spent successes are subtracted from the characters own successes on opposed rolls to detect the character, making Nova's with many physical Aberrations easier to detect.

> Low-Level Aberrations: 1 Success

> Medium-Level Aberrations: 2 Successes

> High-Level Aberrations: 4 Successes

> Each Level of Chrysalis adds 1 to the number of successes spent to cloak a particular physical Aberration

Now an Extra that is along the same line as Quantum Invisibility:

Transparent:  A power with this Extra is invisible to normal modes of detection, and is more difficult to detect with the use of Node or Quantum Detection.  All attempts to detect a Transparent power in use adds  +3 to the difficulty for each time Transparent is added to the power.  Failure on a detection roll means that the Character does not know a power is being used or where the power came from.  If less than 4 Successes are achieved, then the detecting Nova only knows that a Quantum Power is being used.  For 5 or more Successes the detecting Nova can pinpoint exactly who is using the Quantum Power.

Well, there you are -- after a loooong read.  I hope it's understandable, as I'm a little fuzzy in the brain {sleep...sleep...need sleep...}.   Hope you enjoyed.

Nadrakas....."Give me Quantum....or give me Taint."

Here is another Quantum Power, complete with a few Extras.  Hopefully more with be forth coming.

Enjoy

Nadrakas..."EonCon..EonCon...EonCon..."

Entangle

Dice Pool: Dexterity + Entangle

Range: {Quantum + Entangle} x 10 meters

Duration: Instant

Effect: {Quantum x 3} soak against bashing and lethal damage, and {Quantum + Successes} Health Levels of the Entangle.

Description:  This power allows a character to ensnare a target, preventing him from moving and effectively trapping him where he is.  Entangle does not normally cause damage, though in certain situations a Nova can be trapped in an area where he takes damage.  An example of this would be a Nova who is tossed into the ocean to drown.

To use Entangle, the character spends the required Quantum points and rolls Dexterity + Entangle.  The successes achieved, plus the characters Quantum, are compared to the targets Dodge attempt – if any. If the net successes exceed the targets Dodge successes then the target is the recipient of a Hold maneuver {see page 244 of the Aberrant Main Book}.  Every turn the target rolls either Brawl or Martial Arts and compares it to the Entangles Soak of Quantum x 3.  Any excess successes are subtracted from the Entangles Health Levels.  Once the Entangle is out of Health Levels, then the target is free.

Others can assist the target in freeing himself.  Treat this as normal combat, with the Entangle protecting the target with its Armor and Health Levels.

Extras:

> Rebound:  The target takes damage from escape attempts.  For every success under the Entangles Soak that the targets Brawl or Martial Arts is, the character takes one level of Bashing Damage.  The damage is not rolled and Soak is as normal for the target.  Any attempt to free the Nova has the potential to damage the target also. If the damage roll does not exceed the Soak of the Entangle, then the target takes the difference.  The damage is treated as either bashing or lethal, depending on what type of damage was used in the attempt to free the target.

> Regenerative: The Nova can spend Quantum to regenerate the Health Levels of the Entangle.  Each regenerated Health Level costs one Quantum.

> Transparent: The Entangle is more difficult for outside assistants to damage.  All attempts to damage the Entangle have their difficulties increased by 3.

> Tougher:  The Entangles Bashing and Lethal Soak are increased to Quantum x 5.  Health Levels remain Quantum + Successes.

> Vibrant:  The Entangles Health Levels are increased to {Quantum + Successes} x2.

• 1 month later...

I'm new here, an these have yet to be tested, so please bear with me:

Enhancements:

Mega-Dexterity:

Featherweight

Some people are so graceful they can walk on eggshells and not break a single one. Your nova is one of those people.

System: Automatic. Your character can walk on anything solid, regardless of weight. This doesn't aid in balance, though, you need Perfect Balance for that. However, he's equally capable of standing on millimeter-thick glass as he is on concrete, and nothing will ever break under his weight. coupled with Perfect Balance, your character could balance on a twig or run across a tightrope made of dental floss.

Spider's steps

This is a rather strange power to see in action. A character with this Enhancement can, as long as he stays at a sprint, run on any flat surface. Characters with this have been seen running on walls or cielings, or even crossing large bodies of water on foot.

System: Normally automatic. As long as the character continues running, he can run on walls, cielings, up trees, etc. The law of gravity is only a general guidline as long as one foot falls in front of the other at a rapid pace. To cross a body of water, the nova must spend a quantum point. For the remainder of the scene, she can also run across fluid surfaces such as water, lava, acid, etc. However, it does nothing to protect her feet, so water is probably the safest option.

Mega-Manipulation:

Paralysing Pronouncement

Sometimes you just have to pause when someone says something. This Enhancement takes that to superhuman levels. The nova tells the target something, and they just can't help but stop for a little while because of it. This can take numerous forms. For instance, an asian (or asian-influenced) nova might say a Zen koan that forces the target to stop and ponder it, while a nova comedian might tell The Ultimate Joke, doubling his opponent over in spasms of paralysing laughter.

System: Spend a single quantum point. In combat, roll your mega-manipulation dice (as regular dice). Each success causes the target to be unable to take any action or move more than a couple feet per turn (generally random pacing even then). However, any overtly hostile action will bring the target back to his senses, though your first attack is likely to hit. Outside of combat, you can roll your full Manipulation dice pool, and each success equals a full minute of inaction for the target.

Mega-Wits:

Witty Banter

It's bad form to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. However, compared to your character, just about anyone is unarmed. Normally, one is too busy keeping their ass alive in combat to engage in idle conversation or fling of clever quips. With this enhancement, it seems to come naturally. Clever quips, sarcastic comments, insults, and other witticisms come out of your character's mouth in a combat situation almost on instinct. People attempting to face him will be distracted by the constant patter, making stupid mistakes in combat and generally making themselves look like amatuers. Two characters with Witty Banter fighting can seem like a stand-up comedy duel.

System: Spend a point of quantum. For the remainder of the scene, anyone facing you in combat subtracts a number of dice equal to your mega-wits score from their own dice pools, since they're likely more busy thinking up a comeback than actually hitting you. Also, if your opponent has Witty Banter as well, reduce your penalty by your mega-wits score.

Powers:

Body Modifications:

Altered Diet (one nova point/three experience)

Novas have to consume far more food than your average human being to maintain the same level of metabolic function. However, some are capable of gaining sustenance from other methods. If bought once, the character can get nutrition from some method inaccessible to baselines and most novas. Furthermore, they don't need to eat any more of it than a baseline would consume at a regular meal, thus it's actually more nutritious for the nova than baseline food. A nova who is made of iron could eat a nice helping of iron filings, while a plant-like nova could root himself to a moist, sunny patch of soil for a an hour or two each day. This is not like the feeding requirement aberration, since this is merely an optional part of the nova's diet. If bought a second time, the nova no longer needs food at all, getting everything he needs from the air around him.

Prehensile Feet (one nova point/three experience)

A companion to the Omnidexterity enhancement, this makes the nova's feet just as useful for grasping objects as the nova's hands are by reshaping them and adding a thumb or similar digit. However, without the Omnidexterity enhancement, the nova suffers a +1 difficulty penalty for using his feet to do most tasks, and without mega-dexterity at all he suffers a +2 penalty for using his "off-foot."

I felt that Telekinesis got something of a bum deal (especially after watching Akira, recommended Aberrant source material), so I made the next power to take telekinesis to the next level:

Telekinetic Mastery

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 5

Dice Pool: Variable

Range: Variable

Area: Variable

Duration: Variable

Effect: The nova has a far better control of his telekinetic powers, able to perform tasks of both fine manipulation and gross destructive power.

Description: Telekinetic Mastery is above and beyond normal telekinesis. The art of moving things with one's mind is mastered by the psions, but novas can still perform increadible feats of telekinetic mastery. Indeed, their raw power can actually exceed that of the more disciplined psions, but such power comes at a very heavy price to novas.

Like Elemental Anima and similar powers, this gives numerous different techniques. Characters can master one technique per dot in the power, but they can also attempt other techniques by spending double the normal quantum points and rolling against +1 difficulty. Characters tend to focus on either "fine" applications of TK Mastery such as Vibration or No Hands, or "crude" applications such as Telekinetic Blast and Rend, though some do both equally.

Characters who already have Telekinesis (and 5 Quantum) can upgrade their power to Telekinetic Mastery by buying it as though it was an extra and paying the difference. Every dot you had in Telekinesis after the first translates to one free technique as well.

It is based heavily on the elemental suite powers, but it has a few of it's own. All the following powers from the elemental suites are pretty much repeated systemswise, and I've given their new names in parentheses: Crush (TK Slam), Blast (TK Blast), Lethal Blast (TK Slice), Propel (Levitation), Storm (TK Storm), Shield (TK shield)

Just use your imagination on the form those take, since their systems have been discussed extensively.

Telekinesis

Area, duration, range, dice pool, etc: The same as the level 2 power.

The first dot in Telekinetic Mastery automatically goes to the basic Telekinesis power, which behaves as a technique for these purposes. Basic Telekinesis allows you access to lesser forms of most of the following techniques, and you can still attempt other techniques with one dot in the power. The benefit of using basic Telekinesis instead of more advanced techniques is that your dice in TK Mastery are rolled as if they were mega-dice instead of regular dice, thus giving two successes if over 7 and three if you roll a 10.

Rend

Dice Pool: Wits + TK Mastery

Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 10 meters

Duration: Concentration

One of the most feared techniques in TK Mastery, Rend allows the nova to apply direct telekinetic force to an opponent in the most painful and debilitating ways. "Wishbone" attacks, crushing skulls, and similar horrific applications of TK are covered under this power. Such direct, fatal attacks are impossible to dodge, requiring you only to survive them. They do [Quantum] levels + (power rating) dice of lethal damage to the target each turn. Worse, if the nova has 4+ TK Mastery, she can bypass most armor (including any artificial armor and most applications of the Armor power, but not force fields or similar energy fields) by directly attacking her target's internal organs through such painful methods as a telekinetic "bubble" in the stomach, causing the blood to turn around the other way, or just stirring up the organs in ways they weren't meant to be stirred.

Explosion

Dice Pool: Stamina + TK Mastery

Range: N/A

Area: (Quantum + power rating) x 5 meters

It's one thing to project a bolt of telekinetic force. It's a whole 'nother ball game to have it explode out from your body. Explosion allows the character to project a wave of power from his body, with a radius equal to the listed area. Everything caught in the blast takes power rating x 4 dice bashing damage, and must make more successes on an Athletics roll than the activation roll to avoid knockback and retain their footing. Otherwise, they're flung back 10 meters per uncancelled success (regardless of damage dice).

Look Ma, No Hands!

Dice Pool: Wits + TK Mastery

Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 10 meters (or line of sight, whichever is shorter)

Normally, characters cannot manipulate objects to the best of their ability while using telekinesis. However, if they succeed in activating this technique, they can use their TK Mastery dice pool + successes on the activation roll to manipulate fine objects such as guns and swords in place of Dexterity, and each success is a full success instead of 1/2 success. Manipulating more than one object in this manner counts as multiple actions.

TK Construct

Dice Pool: Manipulation + TK Mastery

Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 3 meters

Duration: Concentration

This unusual technique allows a nova to grab multiple objects from her surroundings and mesh them together, creating a monstrous animated chimera from what would otherwise be harmless refuse and debris.

Use the chart on p. 224 of the Aberrant corebook to determine how big you can make the construct. It's up to the storyteller to give it stats, though it's dexterity is equal to the nova's Wits attribute. You can get very creative with this. Sure, you could just slap a bunch of random things together. But it's so much more stylish to stick some I-beams together for legs, give it a wrecking ball for a tail, and throw in a cement mixer/forklift combo for the body to make a giant arachnid-like construct. (of course, something so monstrously large would require a VERY large number of successes on the initial roll. Still, feel free to give bonuses for creativity).

So, what do you think?

*sob* alas, Deadpool hasn't been that way in a long time.  so you haven't missed too much.  But you are absolutly right on with that witty banter thing...i thought the exact thing.

- T =)  <---  used to be Deadpool's biggest fan....then it just began to suck....much sadness insued.

::smiley4

==============================================

::baaa "Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic."

Actually, although Deadpool is an EXCELLENT example of Witty Banter, I was thinking of the ORIGINAL motormouth superhero: Spiderman.

However, I included that comment about two of them fighting because I do remember a comic I read (was one of them...can't remember whose comic it was) where Deadpool and Spiderman fought. The two of them were trading verbal blows even more than they were trading physical.

Also, although this is the place for powers, I also have some aberrations to share (all but one inspired by discussions on this and the White Wolf board about nova weight):

Low-level:

Ravenous: Novas already must consume far more food than a normal human to maintain metabolic function. If it wasn't for efforts such as the Adis Ababba terraforming project, they would have put a severe strain on world food supplies. However, some novas exacerbate the problem, requiring more food than mid-sized American family each year. The sheer volume they must consume daily boggles the mind, churns the stomach, and almost defies the laws of physics. Kikjak, the most famous nova to suffer from this, gets a 20% bulk discount at Burger King, provided he calls in an at least an hour in advance. This isn't simple gluttony, but an actual NEED for more food, and going without fulfilling this need to feed can come with severe consequences. Simply missing an hourly meal can cause increasingly worse die pool penalties from hunger pains, up to -5 dice. Prolonged malnutrition can reduce permanant Willpower until a healthier diet is restored, and starvation causes unsoakable health levels of lethal damage that can only begin to heal once you get enough to eat. This might seem harsh, but it's not THAT bad until you get to higher levels of taint.

Strange Visitor: A specific, but mild delusion, Strange Visitor is the blanket grouping of numerous delusions that afflict novas. Put simply, the nova doesn't think he's a nova. He is utterly convinced that his powers come from a source other than manipulating quantum energy. Even pointing out the obvious won't dissuade him, since his powers will take on a form that fits his delusion. Some victims think that they are government-created super-soldiers, others that their DNA was spliced with insects, and a minority (for whom the disease was unfortunately named) might believe they're a strange visitor from another planet (with powers far beyond mortal men, natch). This can often progress into worse derangements, such as Dumbo Syndrome, Paranoia (they want me back so they can find out why the process worked this time...), or megalomania (par for the course if you believe you're a god, demon, angel, or similar divine being). As previously mentioned, their powers will also take a form that fits their skewed worldview, and this can make developing powers that don't fit that paradigm difficult indeed (how do you explain controlling plants if your powers come from the long-lost martial arts secrets you learned on Wudan Mountain?)

Mid-level:

Heavyweight: Most novas are paragons of physical perfection. Others....aren't. Your character weighs upwards of 700 lbs, possibly as high as several tons with VERY high taint. This can come from numerous sources, such as a strong gravity field, a super-dense body, or obscene levels of muscles. One of the most common sources, however, is something called "quantum obesity," a condition wherein the quantum in a nova's body stimulates wild growth of subdermal adipose cells, but does not cause any excess growth around nerves or in arteries (thus avoiding the worst perils of obesity). All varieties are essentially the same, except that novas afflicted with quantum obesity don't sink in water, and all other heavyweights sink like stones (this could make some missions either easier or much, much harder).

Aside from the fact that they should be careful on weak floors, heavyweight novas find that their feet are loathe to leave the ground for any extended period of time. As such, they halve any movement rate (including from powers such as flight). They also suffer a +2 difficulty penalty on any dice pools related to rapid movement, including athletics, jumping, dodging, etc. However, this does not impair hand-eye coordination and fast-twitch reflexes, so they can still be pretty good at abilities such as melee, firearms, etc. They can even have mega-dexterity, they just can't move themselves from place to place very fast.

High-Level:

Immobile: The character is rooted to one spot and unable to move using their own two feet. Perhaps the character is a plant-like nova rooted to the ground, wired up to Opnet permanantly, or maybe he's just morbidly obese. The character can still use movement powers such as flight, they just QUARTER the normal movement rate. Also, they can get around with assistance (such as a forklift or replanting the nova in another piece of soil). If a character with the Heavyweight aberration ever reaches a level of taint greater than their (strength) + (mega-strength x 2), then they automatically trade it in for this aberration until the situation becomes more balanced.

Hey guys, usually I'm very cool, but I haven't eaten tonight; I got the greatest power!

Quantum Life

*Instead of spending Quantum points, you spend "hours" improving your life!

Here are some sample powers:

---------------------------------

Level 1 - Shower & Breakfast

System: Spend one "hour" and take a shower, you wil feel clean refreshed and ready to tackle the new day. Grab a bite to eat!

Level 2 - Job

System: Spend 8 "hours". This helps pay for more RPGs.

Level 3 - Girlfriend

System: One of the most awe-inspiring effects. Spend as many "hours" as you can afford.

Level 4 - Friends

System: Spedn as many "hours" as you can OUTSIDE of your house to gather more Friends.

Level 5 - Aspiration

System: Usually a restricted mode. Some people live their whole lives without any.

::downmal

• 2 weeks later...

Mega Stamina Ehn.:

True Omnivore

This enhancement allows the nova to gain nurishment from eating and drinking nearly anything, from wood to rocks to oil. The nova's body actually breaks down the molecules and atoms of the substances and converts them into needed nutrients.

System: One level of this enhancement allows the nova to subtract his mega-stamina from the virulence rating of anything ingested that would be considered poisonous. The nova may also spend quantum on a 1:1 basis to reduce the virulence rating of anything ingested. A second level makes the nova immune to poisonous effects and allows for mega-stamina to be subtracted from biological intrusions, further the nova no longer produces bodily waste (no going to the bathroom). The nova may now spend quantum as above to reduce the virulence of ingested biological material.

???

Who me?

Dice Pool: Perception + Who Me?

Range: (Perception+power rating)x100 kilometers

Area:N/A

Duration: Permanent (special)

Effect: Character "hears" his name/personna name spoken and following words equal to successes.

Description:A nova with this power will hear anyone within range speak his name, or the name of his personna; this requires no roll. With each success the nova may hear one additional word spoken next in that particular conversation. The nova can extend this listening time by spending quantum, each quantum point spent increasing the limit by (power rating x 10) words. The nova must choose to "tune in" to a sensed conversation to hear it. The nova can recogonize known voices to aid in deciding whether or not to "tune in" to a conversation.

A nova may only keep track of a number of seperate conversations equal to (mega-wits + mega-intelligence)+1. The mega-wits enhancement of Multitasking will increase the maximum conversations limit by 3. While paying attention to his maximum limit of conversations the nova will only receive notice that new ones have started, but will not hear them. The nova may choose to ignore any conversation at anytime to continue scanning for new conversations.

Extras: Urgency (the character automatically senses which conversations bear the most importance to him personally, even when at his maximum limit and may choose to drop one conversation for the more important one); Telepathic (the character senses conversations about him that don't necessarily contain his true or personna name, requires quantum 3)

• 4 weeks later...

Mega Str Enhancement:

Assault

Spend 1 quantum, add rating in Mega Str as dice to a Brawl roll.

Mega Dex Enhancement:

Velocity

Spend 1 quantum, add rating in mega dex as damage dice in a attack made with a melee weapon. Also applies to thrown weapons.

Impact

level : 1

Quantum minimum: 1

Area:N/A

Effect: +2 bashing damage per dot.

multiple actions: Yes

Description: A variation of Claws, Impact grants an additional +2 dice (per dot) of bashing damage to close combat strikes. Impact cannot be active at the same time as Claws.

• 1 month later...

Basically I propose two ways of making Super Items. Use a Gadget Background and a Quantum Item Power.

The Gadget Background works like this. Each dot of this background creates 3 virtual Nova Points that can be be spent on Powers, Mega-Attributes, and Enhancments. (Gadgest can have the Enhancements without the corresponding Mega Attirubtte.) This should replicate such items as Web Shooters or Cap's Shield.

The Quantum Item Works like this. The Power is a Level 2 power. It is paid for with regular Nova Points. Each dot creates 6 virtual Nova points which can be used to buy Mega Attributes, Powers, Enhancments, Internal Quantum Supply. Item Abberations can also be bought to round out the ability. Examples would be Forced Dormancy, Worthiness, Breakable, Stealable, Addictive, etc. The premise for this power is this. When the nova erupts, rather that having their own bodies changed, they change items about them or create radical nova ideas that can become items.

Consider The Thor Example. When Donald Blake was trapped by the Stone Men from Saturn in the Norwegien cave he underwent his erruption. As part of his erruption he Quantumly(?) linked himself to a walking stick he found in the cave. Now he needs the stick to focus his powers. If he is away from it for too long he reverts to human form (Forced Dormancy). Also since it is the focus of his powers others cannot readily use it (Worthiness) unless they can Quantumly attune to it (A very difficult will power feat plus Quantum expenditure.)

Storytellers should also feel free to create prerequistes for Gadgets and Quantum Items, such as Having minimu ratings in Mega-Intelligence, Resources, and Backing.

• 2 months later...

People (and W.W.) say that you can't make an Iron Man character. Why not?

I think that I would convert the Gadgeteer knack from Ad! to Abby, and go from there.

I was thinking specifically of an iron man suit for a baseline. Utopia can clean up the frikkin' globe, a guy grows eufiber (ewww) and there is a crap load of black tech but no-one has ever come up with power suit? me thinks the directive might have.

Sure get the abbies that work for them on it. use if for the organization.

Any ideas?

do you mean the origional ironman or the cartoon version? origional, then you need a remote controlled robot. cartoon version then you need mega intellegence and a nice engineering score and build yourself a VARG from trinity.

I'm thinking of the Iron from the comics where Tony stark gets in the armour.

whats a varg?

I think that's later issues of iron man, because as i remember it only war machine actually got in any armour whereas tony stark being ill would plug into a simulation type remote controler for the battle armour.

VARG, Vacuum Assalt and Reconnaisance Gear, these are trinitys tank replacements think big robotic armour armed to the teeth, all can have a "rocket" pack to fly and are absolutely lethal!!!

Iron Man most definately wears his armour, although he has used remote control versions on rare occassions.

Anyway - "clever" uses of existing powers: the much ignored Quantum Conversion, a level 1 power. Add the Aggravated Extra (heck, throw in Burning too if you like), & it kicks ass, for very little cost. Damage if based on the Extra anyway, & the Dice Pool used for the Range: Touch attack is based on Stamina, which everyone wants to have a good score in, right?

So, for 3 Nova Points I can have an attack with a Quantum minimum of 1 that does [Quantum] + (Stamina + Quantum Conversion) Aggravated damage.

For 5 Nova Points I can make that Burning, & call it "Radiation Touch" or something.

The only other damaging level 1 power is Claws, & that has no Dice Pool to add to the base Aggravated Extra damage of [Quantum] levels (&, as others have pointed out before, goes better with the Armour Piercing Extra).

Or how about Quantum Conversion + Aggravated + Area (or Cloud, or Explosion, as is your preference)? It's Radioactive Gas Man!

Far too many years playing Champions...

::devil

Anyway - "clever" uses of existing powers: the much ignored Quantum Conversion, a level 1 power. Add the Aggravated Extra (heck, throw in Burning too if you like)...

The only other damaging level 1 power is Claws, & that has no Dice Pool to add to the base Aggravated Extra damage of [Quantum] levels (&, as others have pointed out before, goes better with the Armour Piercing Extra).

RE: Iron Man.  Pity the Gadget rules don't mention combinations with Mater-Creation.

Claws has errata (which somehow didn't make it into the APG) that says that Claws+Agg does only (Level of Claws) dice in Agg damage. Q-Conversion would probably do the same. (See list at NPrime.net)

The reasoning behind that was Agg is supposed to reduce the amount of damage dice done, but make it much worse. Those two powers (plus Immolate & a couple others) with Agg would do more dice.

(There seems to be a line of someone else's text at the bottom of your quote of my stuff - no biggy, just wierd).

The errata makes sense, natch, the example was just the Champs max-min-er in me coming out! Is this "official" or fan errata though?

The Aggravated Extra is a funky game mechanic anyway, it seems as though they were only thinking about Quantum Bolt when they wrote it up, anything else being an after-thought. It'd be so much easier to make that Extra just turn the attack's damage into Agg, with no changes of Dice Pool & stuff, but that'd make an Agg Q-Bolt much better than Disintigrate (which becomes pointless). In fact, most of the "generic" Extras seem to apply best to Q-Bolt & as an after-thought to the rest of the powers in the books. Q-Bolt already gets special maneuvers at high levels, & all the good Extras as well, the folks at WW must really like bolt-slingers!

I mean Aggravated can only be applied to "a power that causes bashing or lethal damage", & unless you're Quantum 6+ dude that limits it to Level 1 or 2 powers. That means: Claws or Quantum Conversion (Level 1), & you now say they have different rules; Immolate, Mental Blast, Poison & Quantum Bolt - with errata in the APG (Level 2) - if the Aggravated Extra rules in the book have errata for at least 3 of those 6 surely it would have been better to have seperate power-specific Extras for each power? Oh well, it's a bit late now...

Maybe the Extra should just have "... or the power's normal damage as Aggravated, whichever is less." tacked-on to the end of the description of the damage Dice Pool? That would make Quantum Conversion + Aggravated do 1 level of Agg per Q-point / dot in the power, at most.

Or, maybe the Aggravated Extra should only be applied to powers that do Lethal damage in the first place & just reduce the damage by half (rounded down) (which seems more sensible, as powers that can do Bashing or Lethal get a smaller Dice Pool for the Lethal)? That would make Q-Conversion + Agg do 1 level of Agg per 4 Q-points / dots, & Q-Bolt + Agg do [Quantum] Levels + (power rating x2) Dice (that results in a maximum of 5 Levels + 10 Dice for a Quantum 5 or less character, as opposed to the 5 Levels + 10 Dice + 5 Mega-Dice possible as the Aggravated / Disintigration rules stand now). This would also mean that you couldn't get an Aggravated Mental Blast, & we know at least one canon NPC who has one, so maybe an attack that normally only does Bashing could take Aggravated, but reduce damage to a third or a quarter normal?

I'm off to watch TV now...

::blink

Quantum Weapon

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 4

Dice Pool:Variable

Range: Special

Duration: Variable

Effect: Character can imprint his Quantum signature onto a unique weapon, empowering it with various effects.

Description:

In a manner similar to both Elemental Anima & the normal Attunement Background the Nova imprints his Quantum signature onto a specific object, usually a melee weapon. This empowered object becomes highly resisiant to damage itself, & the Nova gains certain powers of control over the object. The player may (as always) pick one technique per dot, & try others for double the Quantum point cost & a difficulty penalty of 1.

The item itself gains 6 Soak against all forms of attack per dot the Nova possesses in this power. This Soak in no way applies to the Nova himself, only the item if it is attacked directly. If damaged, the item can be repaired by the Nova at the cost of 1 Quantum point per level of normal damage, or 3 per level of Aggravated damage. The item has the same number & type of Structural Levels as a vehicle (Aberrant p.279), dice pool penalties due to damage are subtracted from all rolls involving the item. If the item is destroyed the Nova may imprint a new, similar, item as the ST sees fit (it may take a story to find an new item "in tune" enough to be used, or it may just take some time & Quantum points). In any case, the loss or destruction of the item will feel to the Nova like the loss of part of himself - like an arm or a leg - & may (as the ST sees fit) incur a loss of Temporary Willpower, or a gain in Temporary Taint. If trying to sense the location of her Q-Weapon the Nova adds her dots in Q-Weapon to her Node score for the range & dice pool of the detection attempt. A Nova with Q-weapon & an alternate form (via Dormancy 4 or 5) can choose for the Q-Weapon to have an alternate form when "Dormed" as well (e.g. a mighty war-hammer Q-Weapon that looks like a simple walking stick when the Nova is Dormed).

Techniques:

Power Throw:

Dice Pool: Dex + Q-Weapon

Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 10m

The Nova hurls his weapon at a target, inflicting [Quantum x2] levels + (power rating x3) dice of bashing damage. The instant after the target is struck the weapon flies back to the Nova's hand (although for that instant the Nova is without the weapon & an enemy with a delayed action can try to act before the weapon returns. This applies to all similar techniques that involve throwing the weapon).

Deadly Throw:

The Nova hurls his weapon is such a way as to strike the target for Lethal damage, [Quantum x2] levels + (power rating x2) dice worth. The weapon returns to the Nova's hand an instant later.

Ricochet Throw:

The Nova throws his weapon in such a way as it glances off several targets before returning to his hand. Each target takes (power rating x3) dice of bashing damage. The character can strike (power rating +1) targets in each such attack.

Parry:

The Nova uses his weapon to block & parry all incoming attacks. Each turn she can subtract her rating in Q-Weapon from the attack successes of any attack she can perceive.

Return:

Dice Pool: Str + Q-Weapon

With a thought & a gesture the Nova calls his Q-Weapon to his hand. The dice pool is used as the Might score to counter the Might of anyone trying to restrain the weapon, or against the strength of the bonds confining it. Anything between the returning Q-Weapon & the Nova will be struck (if it doesn't move) for a number of Bashing levels equal to twice the successes rolled, & have their Initiative reduced on the next turn by one per success.

Power Strike:

The Nova strikes with the Q-Weapon in hand-to-hand combat. The Q-Weapon adds (power rating x2) dice to the Nova's normal strike Bashing damage.

Deadly Strike:

The Nova uses her Q-Weapon to inflict a Lethal damage hand-to-hand attack. Her normal strike damage is converted to Lethal damage, & she rolls an extra damage die per dot in Q-Weapon.

Channel Power:

Duration: Varies

The Nova takes an action, pays the Quantum point cost for the Technique, & channels one of her other Quantum Powers through the weapon. The channeled power gains additional dice to it's normal dice pool equal to the character's power rating in Quantum Weapon.

[Notes: this is an attempt to help out all those budding Captain Americas & Thors, without stooping to Gadgets & things. The power mechanics are based on the various suite powers, & Claws for "Deadly Strike", the concept is based around a logical extension of the Attunement Background]

::cool

I did KaBeer. I let a pc get crosstime travel & it was beautiful thing.

As to Quantum Conversion I wonder what would happen if you bought with the reduced quantum cost extra so it was free. Hmmmmmm......

As to a new power, I was thinking of making Quantum Supression, although I haven't worked out the details yet. It would allow the user to make a field in which it was harder to use quatum. The game effect I had in mind was making quantum powers cost more to use. I am thinking it would up the cost of any power used in the area of effect by one quantum point per sucess on a quantum+power rating role. i was thinking it would be a level two power. What do you guys think?

Also, I was wondering if the was an Entropy Control technichue already written up that allows the user to control the outcomes of seemly random events like tossing dice, flipping coins, lotteries numbers drawn, etc. if not there should be.

As to a new power, I was thinking of making Quantum Supression, although I haven't worked out the details yet. It would allow the user to make a field in which it was harder to use quatum.

Harness psi from psiads maybe. ::devil Maybe the Nova could have 3 or 4 psiads in his/her back pack, whenever the Nova comes across an enemy Nova they can throw the psiads around the oponent, thereby weakening them and can ZAP 'em from range untill their hearts content! the downside's are that the Nova carrying the psiads will have less access to their powers and the psiads are going to complain like crazy ::crazy

I like the idea but definately make it an incredibly rare power, maybe playtest it for a session to see how well it works, see if it's too weak or too effective then fine tune.

Quantum Gadget

Level: N/A

Quantum Minimum: 1

Range: One item

Duration: Permanent

Effect: Imbues an object with part of the Nova's Quantum signature

Description:

The character has enhanced a mundane device, or created an enhanced version, by imbuing part of her Quantum signature into it permanently. The following options have to be brought seperately for each & every item so empowered. At the ST's option a character who looses his Q-Gadget may be able to replace it, but such a task should not be easy. A Q-Gadget is detectable via a Node or similar means. Unless stated most options work for anybody, not just the Nova who created the Q-Gadget. Options that can be taken multiple times are limited to being taken 5 times, per Q-Gadget, unless the Nova has Quantum 6+ (in which case they can be taken as many times as the Nova has dots in Quantum).

Extra Soak: (one nova point / three experience points): The object's normal Soak is increased by one per nova point spent. Base object Soak is based on either material strength (Aberrant p.257), armour soak value (p.277), vehicle armour (p.278), or weapon Str Min (p.274 - 275). If the soak of armour is increased then the person wearing that armour benefits from that soak as normal.

Extra Structural Levels: (one nova point / three experience points): The object's Structural Levels are increased by two per nova point spent. Base Structural Levels are based on either material strength (p.257), armour destruction value (p.277), vehicle structural levels (p.279), or weapon mass (rounded down, to a minimum of 1, p.274 - 275).

Extra Damage: (one nova point / three experience points): The damage dice of a weapon are increased by one per nova point spent.

Reduced Strength Minimum: (one nova point / three experience points): The item's strength minimum is reduced by 1 per nova point spent, to a minimum of 1. Mass of the item is reduced accordingly.

No Strength Maximum: (one nova point / three experience points): The Strength Maximum for the weapon is eliminated.

Extra Effect: (one nova point / three experience points): The dice pool associated with the item (accuracy for a weapon, pilot for a vehicle, computer for a laptop, etc.) is increased by one per nova point spent.

Changed Damage Type: (two nova points / six experience points): A weapon's damage can be changed from Bashing to Lethal, or vice-versa, & can be defined as a different type of energy or effect. With the ST's permission the damage for the weapon can be based on an Attribute other than Strength (including Willpower), the defense against it can be based on Willpower (+ Psychic Shield), Sensory Shield, Resistance or something else, & the damage can be applied to an Attribute, Ability or other Trait instead of Health Levels.

Hidden: (one nova point / three experience points): The item is more concealable than usual & is unnoticable to casual observance, except by it's Quantum signature. Size may also be reduced, although the item may be full-sized & retractable or disguised in some way.

Remote Control: (one nova point / three experience points): The item can be operated normally by the Nova at a range of 10m per nova point spent. This option only works for the Q-Gadget's creator.

Retrieve: (one nova point / three experience points): The item can be called back into the nova's hand at a range of 10m per nova point spent + an extra 10m per point of Quantum. This option only works for the Q-Gadget's creator.

Quantum Extra: (three nova points / six experience points): The nova can apply a power Extra (p.230 to 232) to the item (such as the Explosion Extra to a normal gun). This option may or may not only work for the item's creator, depending on the specific effect & ST's ruling. The Aggravated Extra may not be purchased.

Quantum Power: (one/three/five nova points / three/six/nine experience points): The item itself houses a Quantum Power that can be used by the creator (& possibly other novas at the ST's ruling) when holding the item. Each dot of a Level one power costs 1 nova point or 3 experience points; each dot of a Level two power costs 3 nova points or 6 experience points, each dot of a Level 3 power costs 3 nova points or 9 experience points. The advantage to this is a lesser experience point cost than normal to increase powers, & an avoidence of Quantum Minimums (although Level 4+ powers are still unavailable).

Other Q-Gadget options are available at the ST's option.

Example of Q-Gadget:

We're creating a Nova called "John Airsprinter" who wants a "laser sword" like in his favourite movie series, but isn't a Mega-Intelligent type, &, in fact, only wants this one very specific item. He's not suffering from "Dumbo syndrome" (APG p.95), & wants to have an actual weapon, not a Quantum power that looks similar to a "laser sword". We look at Quantum Gadget, start with a normal sword, & buy the following options - changed damage type (Lethal energy) [2 NP], hidden (to make it the size of a flashlight he can put in his pocket, before it's activated & the "blade" appears) [1 NP], 1 levels of retrieve (so he can call it back to his hand from over 10m away) [1 NP], & Quantum Extra - Armour Piercing [3 NP]. Last we add a dot of Bioluminescence for a nice "glow" effect [1 NP]. That's a total of 8 nova points, so we call it a day for now, although after he's got some experience we may increase the damage & the accuracy as well. The Sword does Str+5 Armour Piercing Lethal damage.

[Notes: just an idea for an alternative to Mega-Int created gadgets, but still Nova-specific. Based on the rules for Body Modification, as well as the Gadget rules in Adventure!. The rate of 1 NP per dot of Soak is based on the cost of Armour, the rate of 1 NP per extra die of damage is based on the cost of Claws.]

Tainted Touch

Quantum Minimum: 1

Dice Pool: Stamina + Tainted Touch

Range: Touch (Doh!)

Effect: Inflicts temporary Taint on the target

Decription:

The character touches his or her target, pays the Quantum point cost, then rolls Stamina + Tainted Touch & adds a number of successes equal to his or her Quantum. The victim rolls Resistance, any successes are taken off those of the attacking Nova. For each 3 full net successes the attacker has the victim gains 1 Temporary Taint point that acts in every way as normal Temporary Taint gained from botching a Max roll, etc.; if the victim gains 3+ Temporary Taint in one scene he or she also suffers from a temporary aberration. Neither the attacking Nova nor the victim has any control whatsoever over the type of aberration the victim gains. This power effects baselines as well as Novas, & can even effect plant & animal life.

Botching a use of this power inflicts a point of Temporary Taint on the Nova him- or herself.

[Notes: this power is based on a Poison attack that does Lethal damage.]

Archived