Aberrant RPG - Jedi Wannabe in Aberrant

Quantum Promise

Upon the approach to the body of the fallen God the hunters are taken completely by surprise as Mal rises his mouth wide, it is now clear to all that this is an icredibly complex robot. Issuing forth from its gaping maw music pours, followed by singing ::music, "I hate every chimp I see, from chimpan A to chimpan Z, oh you'll never make a monkey out of me!"...

In a cavernous lair, somewhere in the world, a lone figure, God like in stature and poise with an undefineable air of grace and power sits in front of a bank of monitors viewing the above scene with an almost palpable sense of amusement.

"A monkey is stupid... a group of them are just TOO easy"  ::devil

In a cavernous lair, somewhere in the world, a lone figure, God like in stature and poise with an undefineable air of grace and power sits in front of a bank of monitors viewing the above scene with an almost palpable sense of amusement.

Facinating,

But its Senior Mal we're looking for.

::devil

*kicks the robot*

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Firstly let me say that I am a huge Star Wars & actually have put some thought into this idea. In my campaign world there are two clones (ie novas who erupted mimicing already established characters). One is a 13 year old runnaway who became something like Superman & the other is a geek who became a jedi. Firstly limit the character to only things demonstrated by characters in the trilogy & not the prequels. This being because Galatea was in 1998 before the prequels were made.

Ok as to power.

The Lightsaber should be claws bought with aggrevated extra. First the idea of a quatum sword as a claws variant is given in the players guide. The aggrevated extra is put on to demonstrate how deadly the saber should be, as well as, the fact that in the errata it says that aggrevated claws damage is equal to the power rating. This represents that sword is energy & not boosted by strength.

Telekinesis is a definite.

Telepathy should be there because there are several instances where a jedi is shown to read another's mind.

Also ESP because the jedi are shown to have this power.

Pretercognition is your call but Yoda mentions that a jedi can see the future & the past.

As to Domination, unless the player wants to be a clone of the Emperor it is not quite right. Hypnosis fits better for the "old Jedi mindtrick" which not suppose to work well except to the weal mind.

Intuition fits for the whole "disturbance in the Force" bit & the fact that jedis seem to have their lightsabers drawn just in time.

The Project Utopia book has a Deflect/Redirect power which obviously fits.

As to Mega-Attributes, in my mind only three fit & should be no higher then 2.

Mega-Dex fits, particularly the Physical Prodigy enhancement, for all those nice acrobatics they can do

Mega-perception as well, Quatum Atttunement is a good fit, especially so the character can detect those "strong in the force" ie other novas

Mega-Wits, for many reasons. Firstly a jedi should be fast & lie detector or natural empath fit well.

As to taint, it easily represent the dark sides pull on the character. I think even the Aberrant makes a similiar statement.

So there's a lot of thoughts but not all I have if you want more let me know.

T-dev

• 1 month later...

::shakes her head... bemusedly watching from an alternate reality::

So what do you think Master Yoda... shall we give them a clue to the wherabouts of the dasterdly Sr. Mal... or should we make them learn from their own short sighted mistakes?

---Min

To make sure the Jedi's powers are like those shown in the films, the Jedi should have a flaw that makes him completely unable to recognize evil for what it is unless it's wearing black and has a red lightsaber. Remember, "the Dark Side clouds everything," including the Master Yoda's ability to spot Darth Sidious even though they're standing next to each other. ::biggrin

Seriously, there's a certain naiveté (or maybe optimism) among Jedi that makes it difficult for them to see marginal evil. Yoda can't see the road that Palpatine is obviously taking, and (as yet) none of the Jedi have suggested that "bringing balance to the Force" might mean killing all of the Jedi until, like the Sith, there are only a few left. That naive optimism should be part of a character based on a Jedi and it would be interesting in an Aberrant game that plays with the boundaries of right and wrong.

That's a good point, actually. The problem with the Star Wars series is that it portrays good and evil as polar opposites like yin and yang, which they aren't - evil is delusion and good is embracing the truth.

That said, instead of matching the action to the word, *ignites lightsaber and swallows metal bolt* let's catch us a Mal.

::sith

• 2 years later...

For a starting Jedi -

Claws. But I think Armor Piercing, rather than Aggravated, would be more appropriate, given that lightsabers do nifty things like cut off people's arms. Then take some 1-point weakness so that you can get the 1-point strength of Range, making it 1 meter in length.

Mega-Dex. Not sure what enhancement, really, but I'm leaning towards Enhanced Movement or Rapid Strike.

Mega-Wits. Definately Multitasking, because the Jedi are doing non-stop attacks and blocks.

Deflect/Redirect. This way you cover deflecting blaster shots (or in the nova age, deflecting bullets).

Hypnosis. Not very high for a newly-erupted Padawan, since they haven't gotten the hang of the Jedi mind trick yet.

Telekinesis, so you can retrieve your lightsaber when someone else cuts off your hand.

Intuition and Pretercognition should come later, with experience, after the Jedi has become more attuned to the Force (of quantum). If they're trying to be a light-side Jedi, then no taint is appropriate, just as dark-side Jedi should have a great deal of taint.

I'm thinking about this because my brother, at first, wanted to play a Jedi in my Trans-D campaign. Then he changed his mind.

[edit] Oh yeah. *pays four quantum for Thread Resurrection* [/edit]

Don't forget Q-Bolt for the Sith.

But again, that's something that comes with experience, not instant knowledge from the first time you use your powers. (I hope. ::blink )

The only real downside to using Claws as the lightsaber power is that it means you can't throw it. So your Jedi could have a point in Mega-Int with Inventive Genius and build it ... but that just adds another layer of complication.

Claws. But I think Armor Piercing, rather than Aggravated, would be more appropriate, given that lightsabers do nifty things like cut off people's arms. Then take some 1-point weakness so that you can get the 1-point strength of Range, making it 1 meter in length.

In Aberrant, lots of things can cut a person's arm off. I think it'd have to be both Armor Piercing and Aggravated to justify the kinds of things I've seen done with a lightsaber, though.

Mega-Dex. Not sure what enhancement, really, but I'm leaning towards Enhanced Movement or Rapid Strike.

Consider Accuracy, based on the scene in the X-Wing in the orginal Star Wars movie.

Some sort of Q-leap type thing would be good as well, for all those impossible jumps.

The only real downside to using Claws as the lightsaber power is that it means you can't throw it. So your Jedi could have a point in Mega-Int with Inventive Genius and build it ... but that just adds another layer of complication.

You could with the kinetic Discharge Extra, and the Dumbo Effect aberration for the Claws power only with the 'lightsaber' the character has built as the 'feather'.

Of course, that's a bit complicated, but it does fit to a certain extent. Otherwise, you're stuck with the Gadget option. Note that this option does make a certain amount of sense, as the things were notoriously difficult to construct/maintain/fix, and each jedi made their own.

RE: Claws

Just AP. The big thing about AGG is it ignores soak. The next question should be, how high are soaks in the Jedi universe? Answer: Not very high.

Consider Accuracy, based on the scene in the X-Wing in the orginal Star Wars movie.

Good choice. Movement was also shown in the more recent movies.

Some sort of Q-leap type thing would be good as well, for all those impossible jumps.

Not sure. Q-Leap does miles, just having great stats can (I think) do what we've seen.

RE: Experience & the Experienced Jedi.

A 30 point nova is one heck of an experienced Jedi.

RE: Light side & Dark side.

As you buy more things tainted, you move from one side to the other.

Actually, screw it. Why not just make the lightsaber a mandatory gadget? It is part of the initiation in the movies; this also allows how others can use it (note Han's use in Empire). Otherwise, just make them like wannabe Jean Grey's...

If it helps...

FR

::rolleyes It's worth noting that to use a lightsaber correctly without maiming or killing yourself should be a skill seperate from melee. It's a unique weapon, and its use and care are entirely seperate from those of, for instance, a sword or knife. Even though it's use often appears similar, there are huge differences, and it requires a super-human degree of control. This means that anyone who tries to use one without both the requisite skill and mega-attribs(dex and wits, probably) would stand a substantial chance of cutting off a limb or killing themselves.

Yay nasty weapons. ::biggrin

A Jedi can't translate over perfectly. There'll be some power differences for sure. Telekinesis, telepathy, mega-dexterity, mega-perception, mega-wits, psychic link, empathic manipulation, quantum bolt (electric), sensory shield, psychic shield, strobe, etc. A Jedi possesses all of these, but not on the scale a nova would. This nova would be much more powerful than the average Force-user.

Archived