The Dukes of Hazzard

Long

what can I say it was a good show. It may not have been everything everyone wanted, sure it had some serious stereotyping,, but I ewnjoyed it.. I know people who talk like that, hell if I'm around my family enough I talk like that.. Alot of people had a problem with the Flag and Jessica Simpson's dress.. I gotta ask though. If you think it's bad for two hours, then why did the show have multiple seasons with comparitively the same levels of things the movie has?

I liked the movie it was good a 7.5 on the scale

Hmm, part of the flag problem is the period in which the films occurred. The TV series occurred 1979 to 1985, which preceeded both the 'PC age' in the 90s and what I call the 'idiot out bitching' stage. The movie came after both. Keep in mind, a few states still had the Conferderate flag promimently displayed in public areas in '85 - today, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Arkansas and Alabama all display aspects of one of the many Confederate flags. Only Mississippi has the "Southern Cross" as part of their flag.

The problem with Daisy in the movie, as I have understood it, is that Catherine Bach had a very innocent, sensual appeal which J. Simpson couldn't emulate. Given that Daisy Duke was a lot of guys' first crush, I'm not surprised that they're upset.

Many people get bent out of shape about the Confederate Navy Jack (nicknamed the "Southern Cross", and now popularly referred to as the "Confederate flag" or "Rebel flag") because it was resurrected in the 1950s and 1960s as a symbol of segregation and white suppremacy by a whole gaggle of white suppremacist organizations (ranging from the KKK to the League of the South), and because it was incorporated into state flag designs around the same time as an act of defiance to Federal civil rights efforts.

I and a few others get bent out of shape about the flag because it was the battle emblem of a rebellious faction that was put down only after the bloodiest five years of this nation's history; it is no more appropriate to fly the Southern Cross than is to fly the swastika in modern Germany, or for the beehive flag of Deseret to fly over the American southwest.

Now, all that being said, I think it something of a reach to worry overly much about something painted on the roof of a car.

Archived