Trinity RPG - TFR: Noetics

knave

I realise that I just got here - and that you folks are quite busy writing zillions of e-books (please finish soon btw - they look really cool ) - but I had the thought (after talking to Pax's Pimp and Harlequin in the Aberrant thread) that it might be cool to put together a short Field Report on the new study of Noetics and the nature of PSI, Quantum and Taint.  (Could make a handy companion for IA too)

It'll give the Noeticists something to go on about (shoptalk adds flavour... techies - tell me I'm wrong) - and, as has happened in my game - can lead to interesting plot possibilities.  [old-war-story] mid 2122 the vita noeticist figured out how to shut down a M/R Node for almost 2 seconds with Iatrosis 5 (yes - for perfectly sound reasons - it is healing) -but only from within +-9 meters and it only works some of the time - but it still beats a poke in the eye with a pointed stick.  Of course it's not like there are that many Docs who can or want to learn a nice safe technique like that. :D [/old-war-story]

More generally Noetics could open the door to the 'Why can we only use one aptitude - my goodness the Doyen are scumsucking bottomfeeders' debate.  It can explain how taint diseases occur - and why Taint causes Psi disruptions... and the reverse.

I've had to have a think about the subject for my game... and have come up with a few theories.  I've fleshed them out a bit (see the Aberrants thread) - but I think that it would be really cool to put something a bit more solid down on paper (html/pdf/whatever) - with any ideas that are going.

Section Ideas

1) Bhurano's theories and notes by following scholars

2) Basel / Port-au-Prince views on Taint Diseases... Symptoms, Prognosis and possible cures (and how they think they worked)

3) Storyteller stuff...  Blocked Eruption.  How eruptions / Promethius effects really work.  Psion genes vs Nova genes.  Where the energies come from and go to...  AND which factions have which pieces of the puzzle.

Does anyone think it's a good idea?  Or should I forget about it?  Or maybe just do an article?

-Knave

are you thinking something around the size of twenty-five pages give or take? that's about the size of the field reports... if so, pax and i can give it a go with you, along with helping with ideas and writing we can also do the graphics and the art respectively... and if chill is willing he could put it into a .pdf, if he's too busy, i could learn how to do it...

it sounds great to me and i/we would love to help, i don't know how many other people would be interested... also, if you want to talk more, here works, or i'm on aim and yahoo messenger, just look at the buttons around my posts or at my profile...

sounds exciting though!!! ::thumbs-up

This sounds very interesting.  I like the idea of a smaller book, say 25 pages or so, and I'm not too busy to do the layout and pdf'ing (I prefer to do this myself with all the ebooks we're producing just so I have a backup of the core files in InDesign 2 incase of server blow-ups, other tehnical problems  and the like).

So who's interested in this?  Knave, Jackson, Harle?

Hopefully this shouldn't be a a great deal of work, and should be quite a bit of fun.

I'd be more than happy (feel free to shout me down staffers if you have differing views) to provide the same amount of coverage to this on the site as we are doing for the full-scale E-books...  a dedicated section on the site, promotion etc etc.

Thoughts?

i don't know how many other people would be interested...

This is the silver bullet of course.  Who do we talk to about getting a poll?

are you thinking something around the size of twenty-five pages give or take?

Yes.  I don't think that should be too difficult given the topics we need to cover - if we include Cori Heisler style interviews with Noeticists, Book Reviews and stuff on Taint Diseases - not to mention theories from the Prometheus Chamber techies.  And some further plothooks for Gms of course.

if so, pax and i can give it a go with you, along with helping with ideas and writing we can also do the graphics and the art respectively

Great! - especially since I have all the artistic talent of a an old brick. :P

I've got some ideas, particularly in the Prometheus effect area, and I'd be more than willing to help with some of the writeups.

Cool! :)

P.S.

I wouldn't mind having a crack at some of the noetic theory involved in Quantakinetics and Bhurano's theories.

(I've already written a freeform version of Quantakinesis - check out EON's Psi section for Trinity *shameless plug*).

Yeah I've read your QK stuff - it's very cool :) - see my suggestion in the Aberrant forum.  (Heh - this is why we need a forum for this. It'd be a shame to see it go to waste :P)

I know that IU is going to include QK modes too.  I imagine that it will be pretty close to the stuff that you've written up for freeform play though.  Perhaps - if we're serious enough - they'll let us take a peek so we don't set our carbines to Af and take careful aim at our own toes.

-Knave

This sounds very interesting.  I like the idea of a smaller book, say 25 pages or so, and I'm not too busy to do the layout and pdf'ing (I prefer to do this myself with all the ebooks we're producing just so I have a backup of the core files in InDesign 2 incase of server blow-ups, other tehnical problems  and the like).

Nods... 25 pages is short enough that the end is in sight from the start.  I'm super keen :)

So who's interested in this?  Knave, Jackson, Harle?

and Pax :)

Is there any chance of setting up a poll?  I'm interested to see how many people think something like this would add to their game.  My group consists of 4 programmers, an accountant and a psychologist... so it might not be a terribly good reflection of how everyone else games.  (Then again - it might well be :D).

Hopefully this shouldn't be a a great deal of work, and should be quite a bit of fun.

I'm sure it'll be a wicked to do.  :)

I'd be more than happy (feel free to shout me down staffers if you have differing views) to provide the same amount of coverage to this on the site as we are doing for the full-scale E-books...  a dedicated section on the site, promotion etc etc.

Sweet :)

If we decide to go for it - then one of your dedicated e-book forums would be wicked to keep everything together in.

-Knave

if you want to talk more, here works, or i'm on aim and yahoo messenger, just look at the buttons around my posts or at my profile...

I've just set up a yahoo messenger account if you guys/gals want to chat... but I suggest that if we go ahead with this we should keep as much stuff in a single forum as possible.  That way we've got a record of everything AND we have a bit more time to think up really wicked ideas.

-Knave

Mad outrushing of ideas :)

Another Section idea -

Cori Heisler style interview with a Noeticist who has been on Eden and has written a book- 'The Misconception of Taint vs Quantum Energy' (likening the Taint vs Quantum misconception to the Psion person vs psion particle error.)

-Knave

Good Point.  Well - it could be an 'Academic Paper on the Misconceptions' in that case.  Pity... Cori Heisler style interviews would less dry.  Unless it was a suppressed interview.  (We could stamp 'CENSORED' across the front :>)

-Knave

Actually a suppressed interview would work really well IMHO.

Eg.

CH: Hi - I'm Cori Heisler and I'm here with Dr Adriaan Glassen, renowned Noeticist and Aesculapian.  Doctor - would I be correct in assuming that to write your paper, 'The Misconceptions of Taint and Quantum Energy' that you would have had contact with actual Aberrants.  Could you tell our viewers about that?

DrG: I'm afraid not Cori.  I'm here to talk about my paper.  That is all.

SIDEBAR:  From Neville Archer.  To Triton Division.  Alright - which one of you little weasels leaked Glassen's Work to the Heisler woman?  We have to know where she gets her information and we have to know now!  Additionally - that interview must never see air.  What do we know about CH that would gag her?  Consider this TOP PRIORITY.

Ad Astra

NA

---

What do you think?

-Knave

Hocckay.

We've got a way to help co-ordinate things for e-books.

Its a good idea to detmerine who wants to 'develop' the book, give it direction, and direction to those providing content.

We can set up a forum in the 'current projects' category..  and from there ideas can be bounced back and forth - it keep things easy to find and shows people that we're either coming up witha  new idea, or can show how things are going to the potential audience.

As the book moves forward you might want to password restrict the forum (which I can do eaily) so as not to give anything away before the book is complete.

A poll for interest can be set up, all I need is an outline of the idea and what choices people have in the poll (up to 10 answers maximum).

Thoughts?

CHill that sounds like a wonderful idea. The whole forum concept. I am not certain that we will need a developer for something as short as TFR. But if you think we do we can definantly kick the idea around.

Knave I really like the idea of the whole suppressed interview it would really allow us to include JC's idea of the differences in. My only issue withit as it stands is I am not certain that "little weasels" would be a term used by Archer. I always viewed him as being civil and polite to a fault. I like the idea of a leak and that whole thing.

On thing I was thinking would be some e-mails between Zwindler and Bhurano... Perhaps like:

From Bhurano

To Zwindler

Encryption: DSE

Text: I was reviewing some of the test results from the last run and I found some trails that could indicate a new particle. It appears as if the elements are interacting on a sub-atomic level previously unheard of before. I think we should try and recreate this.

or maybe something to tie in the whole HM conspiracy...

To: M Ross

Encryption: DSE

Dr. Ross, your request to be transferred to the Beuleuc Clinic on Luna has been approved. I am sure you will enjoy your work their.

Those two thing were thought up by Harle and I last night... I love all night diners I do my best brain storming over a nice juicy burger at 11:30. Any how. What do you all think?

-Paxs Pimp

Ok - an outline of the idea.  Please - anyone - jump in here.

TFR: Noetics

To flesh out the nascent science of Noetics.  To explain and expand current (2122) theories (scientific and otherwise) on such topics as:

1) What is a psion?  What is taint?  What is a quantum force?

2) How bioware works.  (This has been covered - we can mention it briefly as we get on to no. 3)

3) The Promethius Effect and the Tanks... Psi Templates

4) Aberrancy (Eruption)

5) Psi / Taint interaction and Psi dead zones.

6) Taint Diseases - Why they occur and some examples... Along with ideas for cures from the various medical practitioners.

7) How these theories can be useful.  Theoretically possible psi effects (maybe a mode effect or two)

This TFR should include extracts from Bhurano's work and notes from following scholars.  (Kinda like Sun Tzu explained)

It should also include some extracts from restricted papers from Noeticists working on Eden and from the Noetic technicians working on the tanks.  Possibly also some stuff from the Orgotekkies who developed the Tessers.

It should not (I don't believe) include anything about 418.  Everyone DEFINTELY has their own theory on 418.  Well - maybe the merest suggestion at a maximum.

For the poll - something like:

1) I think a TFR about Science is exactly what we need in a Science fiction game.  I would use it and love you forever for it.  btw - can I have your children?

2) Sounds Good.  Potentially very useful.

3) I have my own theories on how it works... but I would read it I guess.  You may come up with something good.

4) I'll read it because it's free.

5) Eat Plasma you horrible little nerds!

Damn... I'd be tempted to tick 5 for the cool factor...

Then again - if there's that much theory in the game then players have a chance to be Jack O'Neills, or Jacksons - or Carters (Stargate Reference) in game.  That would be be super dooper cool.

--> Obviously I want to be involved :)

-Knave

My only issue withit as it stands is I am not certain that \"little weasels\" would be a term used by Archer. I always viewed him as being civil and polite to a fault. I like the idea of a leak and that whole thing.

True.  He probably wouldn't even resort to humour in the frustration of another Heisler coup.  My Bad.  But you get the idea :).  I'm sure Archer is a heart risk patient.

Text: I was reviewing some of the test results from the last run and I found some trails that could indicate a new particle. It appears as if the elements are interacting on a sub-atomic level previously unheard of before. I think we should try and recreate this.

The discovery of the psion particle?  YES YES YES! :)

re: HM conspiracy - Nice one!

I agree on the all nighters / burger thing too btw :)

-Knave

My vote is fully behind keeping 418 out of the book. I also think that maybe we ought to rethink the poll options Plasma isn't libel to taste very good. The sections look real good. Also what is your opinion on whetehr or not we should have a developer?

-Paxs Pimp

Good plan CHILL. I like the forum idea.

I think that Knave should be at the helm; I'd prefer to be in the development team and throw in ideas, articles and work etc., from left field anyway!

I agree that 418 should only be very, very briefly touched upon.

Wish List of things I'd like to help work on (in order of preference):

1. Dysfunction: The long term consequences (ie. what happens if a female psion suffers from dysfunction: will it have an effect on the child? If so, what? Do the side effects vary with Aptitude?)

2.Quantakinetic theory - including some explanation of the Prometheus effect and the limitations imposed by the Doyen.

3. Tesser development - research that led to the Leviathan project.

4. Combination effects (touched upon in Trinity Players Guide); the theory behind them, early development etc. A few sample effects if we have space.

5. Psi (noetic templates).

JC

::alien

Don't worry... Plasma tastes like chicken.  ::unsure

As for the developer... Well... we might need a 'coordinator' and someone to tap their foot and look at their watch - but I think we're all on the same wavelength as far as direction goes at the moment.  

Course - I've done some stuff on the basis of Noetics already (as you've seen) and JC's done his Quantakinetics and has ideas on the chambers - but I don't see why all of it shouldn't be open to debate.

-Knave

excellent I shall pick Joseph's brain tonight... hmmm maybe after I pick it I will baste it in in a nice mint sauce because it is:

"Brains for dinner, brains for lunch;"

"Brains for breakfast, brains for bruch."

"Brains are all we ever get,"

"Why can't we have some guts."

Sorry Misfits moment.

Paxs Pimp

Archived