Aberrant RPG - OPTIONAL- House rule/ Mega Attribute Mastery

Asche

I used this alternate rule for a couple of my players who were developing a purely STAT based nova. The rules also accommodate the truly powerful heroes we see in so many comic books, allowing much higher lifting and gadgeteering rolls to be made. This is definitely NOT for everyone but I wanted to share it here and see how it rolled over.

I am here not trolling for ridicule, I would like a few critics and supporters to chime in. grin

Mega-Attribute Mastery

Also called Quantum efficiency. This is the development of some Nova’s into the realm of unbelievable ness. Similar to Mastery on powers, M-A Mastery allows for multipliers to all attribute formula and calculations. So for Mega-Strength 1 with M-A Mastery 1 your weight lifted would be doubled as would your auto successes for damage. The Mastery Multipliers also affect all formulae for enhancements as well, ie, if the enhancement added 3 auto success by itself, it now adds six with mastery 1. But be warned, it applies to all the Socials and Mentals as well.

One with mastery may also drop one mega die to decrease difficulty by the mastery factor (2,5, or 20)

Balancing the Node

MA-mastery is a reflection of a nova's perfectly channeled quantum energy thus, to acquire Mega-Attribute Mastery the Nova must first balance their Quantum pattern. That is, they must have their Node rating at least equal to their Quantum rating. That’s the first requirement. Then the Node must be at least equal than the attribute with mastery.

Once balance is obtained, if the Quantum score ever passes the Node rating, the M-A Mastery is lost and cannot be repurchased for the same attribute. The neural and quantum signature is considered burnt out.

Gaining Attribute Mastery Levels

In order to put Mastery 1 on an attribute the character must have at least 5 dots in mega attributes and have 5 enhancements/powers that cost quantum to use.

In order to put Mastery 2 on an attribute the character must have at least 13 dots in mega attributes and have 13 enhancements/powers that cost quantum to use.

In order to put Mastery 3 on an attribute the character must have at least 17 dots in mega attributes and have 17 enhancements/powers that cost quantum to use.

Quote:

Once balance is obtained, if the Quantum score ever passes the Node rating, the M-A Mastery is lost and cannot be repurchased for the same attribute. The neural and quantum signature is considered burnt out.

I don't get this. Why would you suddenly lose what you had achieved and never be able to reacquire it? If you are going to lose it at all, why not allow it to be reacquired as soon as things are brought back into balance again? In other words if you raise your Q, you suddenly lose your mastery, but get it back once you raise that mega back equal to the QR. But like I said, I don't see the reason for it to ever be lost once acquired.

I won't comment on the idea in terms of balance. That's a much deeper question.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Quote:

I don't get this. Why would you suddenly lose what you had achieved and never be able to reacquire it? If you are going to lose it at all, why not allow it to be reacquired as soon as things are brought back into balance again? In other words if you raise your Q, you suddenly lose your mastery, but get it back once you raise that mega back equal to the QR. But like I said, I don't see the reason for it to ever be lost once acquired.

I won't comment on the idea in terms of balance. That's a much deeper question.

Balance is indeed another topic altogether; largely it depends on the players desire to exploit power-monger. Like I said, it's certainly not for everyone/game.

But in regard to the losing of the ability; that stipulation was more of an in-game check and balance. It required the player to raise NODE before QUANTUM.

Technically, Node can't be raised above 5, since they never gave us any rules for it. Stupid technicality, I know.

I'm not opposed to Mega-Att Mastery, but I think it should be Enhancement Mastery (Attribute)

Thus instead of buying uber awesomeness for all your Attributes you get it only for the attributes you purchase it for.

So a PC could have Enhancement Mastery (Strength) which only effects his Strength Enhancements. All other attributes were untouched.

I did something similiar in my games, but I just added 'Add-Ons' to enhancements that the PC purchased with XP and certain requirements.

Crush Add-Ons-

"Haymaker"

Req: Q2, Str 4, M-Str 1

Cost: 20XP

Effect: You no longer need to 'charge' your crush attack for a single turn. Providing you have the quantum to pay for it all instances of Crush are in effect on the same action you spend the quantum.

"Gentle Giant"

Req: Q3, Str 3, M-Str 2

Cost: 20xp

Effect: You may now use any of your Crush Add-Ons, as well as Crush itself, to inflict bashing damage instead of lethal.

"Nova Smash!"

Req: Q4, Str 4, M-Str 2

Cost: 35xp

Effect: All the effects of the Crush attack are doubled. Regardless of the amount of soak the target has the attackers damage pool can never be reduced below their [Quantum] score.

"Armor Crusher"

Req: Q4, Str 5, M-Str 3

Cost: 35xp

Effect: Your punch shatters barriers and sunders armor! Every Crush attack is considered 'armor piercing'. For every success on your attack roll remove two points of soak from defenders bashing and lethal soak score.

Those are a few... but it made Mega-Atts more versatile. The one drawback is that it did make a few of them on par with Nova powers, which the book says they shouldn't be. Depending on your flavor of game you may or may not care.

Archived