Exalted: Dreams of Exaltation - Prelude: Awakening

Krul

Somewhere within the Metropolis of Loran, the vats were being prepared, as the Five Magnificent Sodalities of Penultimate Truth and Intransigent Gospel got to work, to create Loran's first Alchemicals. The city herself had a small part of her attention on their work, having spoken with them though one of her Hologyphic nodes earlier.

Over the last eight months, vast amounts of resources had been poured into the project, as the alchemical broth had been created and processed, maintained at the proper temperature and cycles, the implants placed upon each potential exalt, the flesh molded around their frames, and now, at last, the flawless soulgems had been carefully considered and were implanted on each of the exalts. The process was nearly complete, and hopefully would work to specifications, if everything was done properly.

The leaders of each of the Five Solidarites were present, and carefully speaking with one another as the targets of the eight month projects were at last lowered into the vats for the final step. And outside the vats, several leading members of the Tripartrate assembly were making their way now, hopefully to greet their new champions as they left the vaults.

Each of the five potential achemicals were lowered into the part of the vats prepared for them, as prayers and rituals having purified the last few impurities from their frames, and now they were energized, and the thaumaturge-technicians waited anxiously for results.

The prayer reached its pounding climax, and all the ingredients in the vat formed together and catalyzed.

To to describe the result would have been beyond words, for even the subject that was being catalyzed would never truly capture the moment in memory.

It was a jolt of sensation that caused a mind to form. A consciousness developed and became aware, whole. Multiple past lives passing in an immediate, yet somehow drawn out flash provided the knowledge of centuries of combined lives and a sense of self.

Light poured in as Strategic Initiative Director opened his eyes. For he sensed something of the name being at the core of his being. A name, a face, Garius Greil, the heroic general of Yugash, was the previous soul to resonate the most, the expert commander's wisdom in him, and much more.

Yes, for a glorious moment, his mind reached out and touched the Great Maker in an empathic meeting.

The moment of communion with the Great Maker at Director's catalyzing was broken by a mental scream of tainted revulsion, empathetic and yet separately disgusted. Director, for the first and most painful time, faced Autochithon's sickness in its enormity. The connection was like touching a plague victim's boils and tracing and observing every vile bit in nauseating detail.

This cannot be... He thought tortuously. This cannot be stood for...

Then, Director caught focus of the techicians watching anxiously, and instinctively aware of who they were, eased aside his already building desire to heal Autochithon. It would not do to disturb or worry them, and the Maker would live. He would ensure that in time enough.

He moved through the vat slowly, but nimbly, coming crisply to attention for the benefit of the men and women who had brought him to life.

Inside the tank, a humanoid made of more moonsilver than people may see in a lifetime, started to take shape.

Inside the gem that glittered on its forehead, a millennia of deaths happened in seconds. A young tunnel rat, studious in nothing but the mapping of the forgotten passages of Loran, tumbled to her death down a shaft too smooth to climb. An old man passed away in his sleep, surrounded by his surviving family, and all he could think of was the daughter he'd lost to fever. A submersible captain and her crew died of starvation, in the midst of a sea of oil. In all these lives and a dozen more besides, their common soul had gone boldly into the unknown, vaulting barriers that gave pause to so many others.

It did so again. The lightning shook the tank, and her eyes popped open. In seconds, the confusion of new existence nearly overwhelmed her, as she struggled to remember who she was. She spoke a few words in a dead tounge, paused, then shook her head.

The data was all there, in her mind. This was the city of Loran, and she was one of the Alchemical Exalted, created from the best of the best, both in body and mind. She had a purpose, already shining clear in her mind: the salvation of her people. To seek out a solution no one had yet found.

She looked to the windows in the tank, where humanoid shapes gathered. One of them nodded, and the tank began to drain. After a few minutes, the fluids were gone, and she emerged from the tank, still unsteady on her feet but already adjusting.

"May I - " She paused, surprised at the sound her voice made. "May I have a robe?" she asked, feeling unexpectedly modest.

Originally Posted By: Jeremy Noctis
The prayer reached its pounding climax, and all the ingredients in the vat formed together and catalyzed.

To to describe the result would have been beyond words, for even the subject that was being catalyzed would never truly capture the moment in memory.

It was a jolt of sensation that caused a mind to form. A consciousness developed and became aware, whole. Multiple past lives passing in an immediate, yet somehow drawn out flash provided the knowledge of centuries of combined lives and a sense of self.

Light poured in as Strategic Initiative Director opened his eyes. For he sensed something of the name being at the core of his being. A name, a face, Garius Greil, the heroic general of Yugash, was the previous soul to resonate the most, the expert commander's wisdom in him, and much more.

Yes, for a glorious moment, his mind reached out and touched the Great Maker in an empathic meeting.

The moment of communion with the Great Maker at Director's catalyzing was broken by a mental scream of tainted revulsion, empathetic and yet separately disgusted. Director, for the first and most painful time, faced Autochithon's sickness in its enormity. The connection was like touching a plague victim's boils and tracing and observing every vile bit in nauseating detail.

This cannot be... He thought tortuously. This cannot be stood for...

Then, Director caught focus of the techicians watching anxiously, and instinctively aware of who they were, eased aside his already building desire to heal Autochithon. It would not do to disturb or worry them, and the Maker would live. He would ensure that in time enough.

He moved through the vat slowly, but nimbly, coming crisply to attention for the benefit of the men and women who had brought him to life.

As the newly activated Starmetal caste stepped out of the vats, there was a sigh of relief from those who had been working on Loran's Alchemical project. For though it remained to be seen just how much their work would pay off, it appeared that all five Alchemicals who had been prepared were fully activate. As he stepped from the vats, one of the officals was there to greet him, and gestured to several members of the Solidates, who brought forward some things for him to wear, including a starmetal breastplate and a cloak set with a jade pendent. "Greetings, Champion, I am Dr. Marus, and I am leader of the Solidates assigned to your needs, might we know what name you know yourself by?" The name of an Alchemical after was a fairly good sign of the nature of the Alchemical's personality, which would be helpful in knowing how well they had crafted their new champion.

Originally Posted By: Vanguard
Inside the tank, a humanoid made of more moonsilver than people may see in a lifetime, started to take shape.

Inside the gem that glittered on its forehead, a millennia of deaths happened in seconds. A young tunnel rat, studious in nothing but the mapping of the forgotten passages of Loran, tumbled to her death down a shaft too smooth to climb. An old man passed away in his sleep, surrounded by his surviving family, and all he could think of was the daughter he'd lost to fever. A submersible captain and her crew died of starvation, in the midst of a sea of oil. In all these lives and a dozen more besides, their common soul had gone boldly into the unknown, vaulting barriers that gave pause to so many others.

It did so again. The lightning shook the tank, and her eyes popped open. In seconds, the confusion of new existence nearly overwhelmed her, as she struggled to remember who she was. She spoke a few words in a dead tounge, paused, then shook her head.

The data was all there, in her mind. This was the city of Loran, and she was one of the Alchemical Exalted, created from the best of the best, both in body and mind. She had a purpose, already shining clear in her mind: the salvation of her people. To seek out a solution no one had yet found.

She looked to the windows in the tank, where humanoid shapes gathered. One of them nodded, and the tank began to drain. After a few minutes, the fluids were gone, and she emerged from the tank, still unsteady on her feet but already adjusting.

"May I - " She paused, surprised at the sound her voice made. "May I have a robe?" she asked, feeling unexpectedly modest.

The young moonsilver was quite beautiful, as she stepped out of the tanks, but her request caused one middle aged man to stepped forward, pulling off a sort of lab coat, and offered it to her. "Of course, Champion, it would be my honor if you would wear mine. I am Dr. Fane, and I am leader of the Solidates with regards to your needs, young Champion, might you make yourself known to us?" He found himself feeling a surge of affection toward the young Alchemical, even as he requested her name. Her manner reminded him of his daughter, when she had been younger, now she was working with those who had been devoted to the Orichalcum caste.

Originally Posted By: Krul

As the newly activated Starmetal caste stepped out of the vats, there was a sigh of relief from those who had been working on Loran's Alchemical project. For though it remained to be seen just how much their work would pay off, it appeared that all five Alchemicals who had been prepared were fully activate. As he stepped from the vats, one of the officals was there to greet him, and gestured to several members of the Solidates, who brought forward some things for him to wear, including a starmetal breastplate and a cloak set with a jade pendent. "Greetings, Champion, I am Dr. Marus, and I am leader of the Solidates assigned to your needs, might we know what name you know yourself by?" The name of an Alchemical after was a fairly good sign of the nature of the Alchemical's personality, which would be helpful in knowing how well they had crafted their new champion.

Though the young Starmetal gave nods of thanks and acknowledgment to the attending technicians who provided him with clothing, once Dr. Marus started speaking, he carefully kept his focus entirely on the official. There was something about his look though, not unnerving or malevolent, but extremely focused, which could have been creepy but for the fact that it seemed intelligent and wise as well.

"Thank you, Doctor." The Alchemical was dressing himself as he spoke, and one could tell that though he was not a looker, he did have physical grace in his smooth, precise movements.

"My name is Strategic Initiative Director." Director formally announced, "When brevity is required, Director will do."

Though the young Starmetal gave nods of thanks and acknowledgment to the attending technicians who provided him with clothing, once Dr. Marus started speaking, he carefully kept his focus entirely on the official. There was something about his look though, not unnerving or malevolent, but extremely focused, which could have been creepy but for the fact that it seemed intelligent and wise as well.

"Thank you, Doctor." The Alchemical was dressing himself as he spoke, and one could tell that though he was not a looker, he did have physical grace in his smooth, precise movements.

"My name is Strategic Initiative Director." Director formally announced, "When brevity is required, Director will do."

It was interesting, even inspiring to be in the presence of one of the Champions, the Dr. Marus thought to himself, they had Loran herself of course, but the Champion was more distant in a lot of ways. She was the city, and had to focus her will on the needs of the city, this young Champion was different.

With a slight smile, he responded to Strategic Initiative Director's words, he was pleased with the name, they had needed tactician, someone to deal with the matter of small army gremlins that had been gathering about weeks travel from the city. Based on his name, it appeared that they had gotten something even better, a strategist as well as a tactician. "Of course, Champion, if you are prepared, it is time to present you to the Assembly."

"Yes, of course." The Alchemical seemed distracted, the coat feeling odd against silvery skin. "I am the Vanguard of Many Honored Footsteps. My purpose is exploration. To find solutions where no one else has yet looked."

She buttoned up the coat. "Call me 'Vana' for short, if you wish. When shall I begin my tasks?"

"Yes, of course." The Alchemical seemed distracted, the coat feeling odd against silvery skin. "I am the Vanguard of Many Honored Footsteps. My purpose is exploration. To find solutions where no one else has yet looked."

She buttoned up the coat. "Call me 'Vana' for short, if you wish. When shall I begin my tasks?"

He was quite pleased with the name, an explorer on "Excellent, and if you would permit, Champion, we should present you to the Assembly, after which we shall run though a quick series of initial training and tests, then configure your charms and select the weapon you desire for your initial task. You've been assigned to one of the Oil Diver's for this coming week, they are going into an area that requires a Champion's touch." Even as he spoke, he watched her, wondering, intrigued even as to what it felt like to awaken as she had, with dozens of memories from many lives.

"An oil diver!" Flashes of a live long gone went through her mind's eye. "Yes. I remember being captain of a submersible. This is something I could do quite well." She flexed her hands, trying to get used to the feeling of the metallic flesh, which didn't quite sit right yet.

"What are - " She paused, accessing the internal database on charms. "Forgive me, I am disoriented still. What charms will we be installing today?"

Director inclined his head, though he felt a tinge of nervousness at preparing to meet his superiors without full preparation on his part, not that he would have had any time to. Carry yourself with calm measure, and things will not go that bad.

Former Tripartite Assemblyman Mitus Iago's voice to a special visitor, many years ago. It reassured Director, and he settled himself. "I'm ready. What will follow the presentation?"

"An oil diver!" Flashes of a live long gone went through her mind's eye. "Yes. I remember being captain of a submersible. This is something I could do quite well." She flexed her hands, trying to get used to the feeling of the metallic flesh, which didn't quite sit right yet.

"What are - " She paused, accessing the internal database on charms. "Forgive me, I am disoriented still. What charms will we be installing today?"

About to reply, the Dr. suddenly went silent a moment, as he rethought things a bit, then he spoke up again. "Regarding that, you should be aware of your library of charm selection, if you would check an internal query, though I do suggest that you install the Fluid Impeller Drive for this mission. The rest, you have the memories and lives to make an efficient selection, however, do I have a suggestion."

He then brought out a crystal flower, one in the shape of a lotus blossom. "As a Champion, you have enormous potential, you can achieve things I can barely imagine, and far surpass all but your fellow Champions, but there are some ways I can teach and guide you, if you are willing." He paused, pleased to notice she was listen. "We have crafted the Perfected Lotus Matrix already, expecting one of our new champions to desire to take up the practice of Exalted Martial Arts. I suggest, Vanguard of Many Honored Footsteps, that you be the one to install this charm."

Director inclined his head, though he felt a tinge of nervousness at preparing to meet his superiors without full preparation on his part, not that he would have had any time to. Carry yourself with calm measure, and things will not go that bad.

Former Tripartite Assemblyman Mitus Iago's voice to a special visitor, many years ago. It reassured Director, and he settled himself. "I'm ready. What will follow the presentation?"

"We have a problem with gremlins a few days from the city, it blocks access to certain tunnel networks where some rich deposits of magical materials were found, some of which were used in your design, Champion. Unfortunately, they have gathered enough forces that access to that area is now completely blocked, and we have commissioned a small army of our troops in order to deal with the matter. We need you, and at least one other of our new Champions, to deal with this infestation, within the week, it is vital to certain projects in the city that we regain access to those resources."

"Your recommendation is sound. I see references to upgrades in my internal memory system. Forgive me, the breadth and depths of the knowledge banks are still taking time to integrate.

"I wish to see how the movement suite including the fluidic impeller interacts with my form. May we install that at the same time as the Perfected Lotus Matrix?"

"Gremlins." The word and voice of the Starmetal Champion was utterly cold for a moment, as was his expression, before he nodded to the Doctor.

"So, shall we go? It will be my pleasure to meet the Assembly AND deal with the gremlins." The last part of these words were VERY emphatic.

"Your recommendation is sound. I see references to upgrades in my internal memory system. Forgive me, the breadth and depths of the knowledge banks are still taking time to integrate.

"I wish to see how the movement suite including the fluidic impeller interacts with my form. May we install that at the same time as the Perfected Lotus Matrix?"

"Of course, although installation will have to wait a moment, young Champion, we have to present you to the assembly.. " He paused a moment. "If you would prefer different attire it can be arranged before we depart." After all, she had seemed a touch modest earlier, he wasn't entirely certain she would be comfortable meeting the Assembly in nothing but a lab coat of sorts, even one that fully covered her.

"Gremlins." The word and voice of the Starmetal Champion was utterly cold for a moment, as was his expression, before he nodded to the Doctor.

"So, shall we go? It will be my pleasure to meet the Assembly AND deal with the gremlins." The last part of these words were VERY emphatic.

Strategic Initiative Director's words were quite direct, which pleased the folks involved in his aspect of the project. "If you would follow me, then Champion, we shall see to it." Now wearing his armor and and prepared to depart, as others remained to work on preparing this set of rooms for the next time a champion was created, the Direct was lead from the room down a hall toward the buildings entrance.. to see the exterior of the beautiful city of Loran for the first time.

"If you have different attire, I won't say no." She smiled. "But it isn't necessary. Also, call me..."

She paused, her full name burnt into her consciousness. "Quite long," she muttered. "Call me... ah, 'Vana,' for short." Vana... yes, that would do. It beat having to declare how honored the footsteps of those who followed her were every time someone asked her a question.

Director glanced at the buildings and the city in half-wonder, half-knowing pride. After all, not only was the city so pleasing and beautiful to see, but one of his past lives had designed many of the buildings in consultation with the Avatar projected by Loran herself.

It was a great construction, and the whole of it he was quite willing and determined to protect to the utmost.

Dr. Fane turned to his assistants, and shortly they brought out a set of chain mail with some red and black leather as well. "Actually, this should look good on you, and make a good impression with the Assembly, Vana." He allowed himself to address the young champion as she requested.

The technicians brought her the new clothing for her to wear, and shortly she was attired in her outfit and Dr. Fane gestured for her to follow. She exited the building a few moments behind Strategic Initiative Director, just in time to see the following occur.

As the Director walked forward, another Alchemical stepped out behind him, her skin like dark steel, wearing black and steel leather armor, with a powerful artifact crossbow resting on her shoulder. She was not actually following anyone, instead someone was following her. "I'll present myself to the Assembly, thank you very much, Doctor, there's no need to accompany me." Even as she spoke, she was already catching up to the Director. Looking him over a moment, she paused in her forward momentum, and turned to address him directly. "Aggressive Steel Heart, Ash for short, if you must, optimized for forward assaults and direct action. I suspect based on what I've been told we'll be working together."

Vanguard watched the interplay between the two other Exalted carefully. Social interaction wasn't her strong suit, but she couldn't help but note how hard "Ash" was trying to assert herself. Forward assaults, eh? So she'd be right behind Vanguard of Many Honored Footsteps...

"That is what I have been told, yes." Vana nodded to Ash.

Director inclined his head to note the sibling that followed him. "Is that so?" Ash seemed already a little hotheaded, and he made a mental note of that in case she would be a lieutenant or other low-level officer.

Not pausing in his movements, he kept his eyes on Ash and the Moonsilver who appeared behind them. "Let's keep our pace, all of us. It won't do to keep the Assembly waiting. Perhaps our third friend can enlighten us as to herself?"

The three Alchemical Champions were gaining all kinds of attention as they walked forward, people were whispering excitedly as they moved through the street toward the building where the Tripartite Assembly ruled over Loran, with the advice of the city herself.

Other then a few Alchemicals from other nation-states carrying out missions to the elemental pole of Oil, and Loran herself, the people of the city had few encounters with Alchemicals. And these were the cities own champions, so naturally everyone was excited.

Among the gossip the Alchemical overhead on their way, at least, what they could pick out over the murmurs of the crowd. "Shouldn't there be five of them?" "Yes, but it's only three here, maybe others?" "I heard there was a delay with regards to the other two, that was discovered before they were energized, going to be a couple more weeks for the other two." "Oh, she's beautiful, smooth graceful moonsilver, like our own Loran." "He seems rather serious, almost wise even." "I like the one with the crossbow." "Have a thing for a woman in black leather?" "Oh hush."

As the exalts moved forward, Ash glanced over at the gathering crowd then back at Director, who hadn't given his own name yet. "Introductions all around might be good, sense we're likely to be working with one another a long time."

Director realized that he had made the error of being absorbed enough in his calculations and not giving his name. "I am Strategic Intiative Director, Director for short." He told his compatriot Exalted in a low but not whispering voice.

"And Ash has introduced herself, so you?" Director added, asking of the Moonsilver following behind him?

Even as they spoke and made introductions, they were brought before the assembly building, and inside where they came before the Tripartite Assembly.

Dr. Fane stepped forward, as the highest ranking individual present. "Grand Autocrat Selvera, members of the Assembly, I present, Loran's new Champions." He gestured to the three Alchemicals present.

A lovely and yet rather serious looking woman with dark black hair flanked by three individuals on either side, and she looked over the three champions present. The city herself also had sent forth an avatar, a lovely woman of silver "Far be it from me to complain, but were there not supposed to be five of them, Dr. Fane?"

"The other two have been somewhat delayed, a few minor corrections are needed before they can be activated, Ma'am."

"As the Maker wills it, then." She turned her gaze to the young Alchemicals. "I would like to give you three time to get used to matters in Loran, but there is little time.. within a few days we are going to need the three of you on various missions." She paused and spoke under her breath, so only the Assembly and the Alchemicals could hear her. "And we're going to be on a bit tighter schedule then originally desired, with only three of you."

Ash responded with her own words. "Tell me where to go, and what you want done, and I'll see to it."

Grand Autocrat Selvera blinked a few moments, looking at the confident Alchemicals and she appeared to relax slightly. "Well, it's good to hear such confidence from our new Champions, I fear we are somewhat unused to young Alchemicals in our city, Loran is efficient and cordial, and we love our city, but she sometimes has trouble sometimes relating to the human condition, and is somewhat less mobile then you three." She paused a moment to smile at the city Avatar present, who responded with a curt nod.

She paused a moment, looking to each of you then back to Dr. Fane, who was the senior Solidite present, with a raised eyebrow. "Ah.. Grand Autocrate, Our starmetal general Strategic Intuitive Director, Soulsteel warrior Agressive Steel Heart, and Moonsilver explorer, Vanguard of Many Honored Footsteps. Also willing to answer to Director, Ash or Vana, respectively." He responded to the Grand Autocrates silent query.

"Excellent, Director, I am putting Ash and you together, make your optimal charm selection for a war mission, both of you, we need you to clear out an area of gremlins, so we can get to the materials beyond them, you depart within three days. I am giving both of you some troops to carry out this mission with, but Director will be in overall command."

She then turned to Vanguard. "Vana, we have lost two Oil Divers recently within the sea of Oil, many miles from the city, we need you to recover them, resuce anyone living or thier soulgems if they are not, and if possible bring back the Oil Divers and their cargo."

"Excellent." the Grand Autocrat looked over the assembled Alchemical, and then nodded slightly. "You have 3 days to prepare yourselves, get to know the city, your units and select your charms, I wish I could give you more, but we have no time. Also, Dr. Fane, introduce our champions to the Gateway project, we will almost certainly need them when the path is opened."

Ash also turned her head curiously to Dr. Fane, who found himself the center of attention from three different Champions.

"Ah, the Gateway Project, it involves opening the Seal of 8 Divinities, and opening the way to the place once called Creation, were the ancient texts say the Maker brought us from. What you three will be doing is critical to that particular project."

Creation! Vague second-hand impressions from a scholarly past life filtered back to Director, and he wondered to what purpose would the Seal be opened to such a mysterious and time-lost legendary location. He promptly answered that in his head with a dozen potential reasons.

Nevertheless, there seemed no reason for the moment that an more immediate issue should be ignored in favor of the pending Gateway project.

"Very interesting and important, no doubt," There was no sign that Director was being dishonest about the relevance of the Gateway project "however the current missions demand our attention..."

He turned and faced Aggressive Steel Heart with a military level of crispness. He spoke with the same quality, "I plan on receiving my Charms and reviewing the military of Loran. Do you wish to come as well?"

Click to reveal..

When Director gets his Charms, he'll start with the Strategic/Tactical configuration, Krul.

Over the next few days the Alchemical champions had a change to get to know their city and it's inhabitants.. and to hear the rumors amoung the cities leadership that all of the major cities of Autochithonia were looking find a way back to creation.

Click to reveal..

I'm about to post different threads for both of you, but feel free to interact and explore the city in this thread.

Archived