Pondering.... Another new game??

Asche

Do we have too many game here? Is there such a thing as too many games? aaa

Maybe it's because I'm finicky or perhaps I am just a control freak, but would anyone be interested in yet another game? This one based on a conglomeration of the WoD series (Aberrant mainly, but with tastes of many of the WhiteWolf games.) It also would use the MEGS rules system from DC Heroes third edition and Blood of Heroes (which to me represents a near perfect system as it stands without all the home-brew rules we have so much of in Aberrant.)

I have done much work over the past several years converting WoD to MEGS and I can provide those not in possession of the basic rules (but familiar with them on some level) a copy in pdf of the basic basics.

This is a three part question.

A- Isn't Aberrant not a World of Darkness series game?

B- In what way would you be combining the games? The WoD games all technically take place in the same universe, unless you're putting vampires and changelings into the dark recesses of the Aberrant world or DC or something.

Eg. The new and upcoming Argonauts conglomeration game allows you to play daredevils and psiads as well as novas in the current time frame of Aberrant.

C- Can I get a copy of the rules? laugh

(And just so you can recognize me from my many accounts, I am also, Charlie Cole, Curtis Shane, Mel Ganker, Shove, Layel Haete, Glitch, Warlock Darrik, Agent Francis, etc. :D)

Originally Posted By: Jeremy Noctis
This is a three part question.

A- Isn't Aberrant not a World of Darkness series game?
B- In what way would you be combining the games? The WoD games all technically take place in the same universe, unless you're putting vampires and changelings into the dark recesses of the Aberrant world or DC or something.

Eg. The new and upcoming Argonauts conglomeration game allows you to play daredevils and psiads as well as novas in the current time frame of Aberrant.

C- Can I get a copy of the rules? laugh

(And just so you can recognize me from my many accounts, I am also, Charlie Cole, Curtis Shane, Mel Ganker, Shove, Layel Haete, Glitch, Warlock Darrik, Agent Francis, etc. :D)

Thanks for the questions...

Technically you are right in that Abby is not WoD. I was referring all thing by White Wolf, or at least their main lines.

As far as conglomeration goes, I mean anything goes for the most part. Aliens, fey, changing breeds, Kindred, Magi. All within limits.

As far as rules go..I willl set a link off site soon and pm you.

Originally Posted By: Asche

As far as conglomeration goes, I mean anything goes for the most part. Aliens, fey, changing breeds, Kindred, Magi. All within limits.

Thanks in advance for the rules stuff. However, unless you haven't worked it out that far, I'd like a little more detail please.

Like this. Is the WoD Kindred and Mages and Changelings and such going to be there in the Trinity Universe, behind the scenes? Are WoD and Abby elements going to be incorporated into a new setting? Anything concrete about the setting itself would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Asche

Thanks in advance for the rules stuff. However, unless you haven't worked it out that far, I'd like a little more detail please.

Like this. Is the WoD Kindred and Mages and Changelings and such going to be there in the Trinity Universe, behind the scenes? Are WoD and Abby elements going to be incorporated into a new setting? Anything concrete about the setting itself would be appreciated.

Mainly this game consists of an Abby-type setting with all the other stuff in the background; there are simply too small a number of the other stuff to make it completely game changing. What has changed really is the cosmology or big picture. The weaver, wyld and wyrm are 'smaller' concepts in a 'bigger' picture. Think the Trinity Universe with tinge of darkness and hopelessness.
Nova's are here for a reason, they just don't know why. Yet.
Oh, and the time would be present day or a few years in the future.

Originally Posted By: BlueNinja
Vamps and weres, novas, psiads, scions, solars and lunars and whatevers ...

I can't see how that would end well for anyone involved. whistle

LOL. I think you understand that these 'other' powers are not in a high enough concentration to worry about. Aside from that, the only things I am taking about 'merging' ideas from are: Kindred, Magi, Abby, Werewolf, Changeling, and of course Trinity.

• 4 weeks later...

How about this; anyone remotely interested in a DC Universe-style game? Good O'l Kal El, Bruce Wayne, etc might be there.

I am simply looking to run a game in a system I am now more comfortable with, ie MEGS, and wouldn't mind one bit playing in any genre with that rule system. I do not however want to be too redundant but with some new members looking in (hopefully a few anyhow) I am rephrasing my initial question.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
What's MEGS?

Mayfairs Exponential Gaming System. Developed by Mayfair games in their DC Heroes incarnation and later in the line Blood of Heroes when Mayfair went belly up.

Insert quick summary here of MEGS..

Everything is done is what is called Attribute points, or AP's for short. It is the AP system that allows the rules of the game to function cleanly. AP's are entirely interchangeable. A character that has 6 AP's of strength, can lift an object that weighs 6 AP's (about 3000 lb); while a character with flight 6 can travel 6 AP's of distance (600 feet) every turn (O AP's or 4 seconds). Note that 0 is always used as a unit of measurement, and for all quantities, zero represents the base value around which the individual measurement system is designed.

Weight 0 AP = 50 lbs
Distance 0AP = 10 feet
Information 0 AP = 1 paragraph
Time 0 AP = 4 seconds
Money 0 AP = $25

Each additional one AP of a quantity doubles the amount measured by the previous AP. For instance, 0 AP's of weight is equal to 50 lbs, 1 AP is 100 lbs, 2 AP is 200 lbs, 3 AP is 400 lbs, and so on. With a strength of 25 (Superman's first appearance.) one could lift 25 AP's of weight, or approximately 972,800,000 lbs (about 81,000 tons).

Weight 5 AP = 1,600 lbs
Distance 5 AP = 320 feet
Information 5 AP = 32 paragraphs
Time 5 AP = 4 minutes, 16 seconds
Money 5 AP = $800

Each AP actually represents a range of values rather than the absolute figure. As said earlier, 0 AP's of weight is 50 lbs, and 1 AP is 100 pounds. A player might wonder, then, how many AP's of weight is something that weighs 75 lbs' The answer is 1 AP, because 1 AP of weight actually represents the entire range of weight from 51-100 lbs; 2 AP's of weight represents the range of values from 101-200 lbs, and so on. Similarly, 0 AP's of distance is 0-10 feet, while 1 AP is 11-20 feet, and 2 AP's is 21-40, etcetera.

Rolling the Dice
2d10 are used. There are two tables used in this AP system. The Action Table is used to determine whether or not an action succeeds or not. The second table, the Result Table is almost always used in conjunction with the Action Table. One die roll is used to determine your number of successes (Result AP's, or RAP's) as well as the results, so don't fear having to roll to many times. Combats can be over really fast as well as most other conflicts.

Every time a character attempts a dice action, the Player must make an 'Action Check.' Every action check involves four factors: The Acting Value (AV), the Effect Value (EV), the Opposing Value (OV), and the Resistance Value (RV). Say you are trying to punch someone; your skill/attribute would be used as the AV and your targets skill/att would be used as the OV. If you hit, your strength would be the OV and the persons Stamina or armor would be the RV. A roll of 2D10 would be referenced on the Action Table to yield the successes or lack thereof. That number is then referenced on the Results table for the amount of damage or effect. The dice are rerolled if there are ever doubles are rolled, except for double ones. Double ones are an auto failure. SO if you rolled double 4's and then rolled a 5 and 6, your total roll would be 19; and keep rolling if you get doubles again.

Summary
Die rolls are based on your attribute and Skill or power level just as it normally is, the numbers are just different and you are not going to roll as many dice. This AP system ranges all the way to 99 but the levels of power just in the mid 20's is such an ungodly power level that there really is no reason to go higher. But having the 'Potential' attain the higher levels is awesome. There is no limit to this system technically! Powers, skills and every aspect of the character can be related in AP's. Whenever two AP ratings are added together, like in skill plus attribute, you add one AP to the highest AP. For example, 7 AP + 3 AP is not 10 AP, it is 8 AP's, this is because all AP's are double the AP that comes before it.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
Asche, next question - what are you looking to run beyond a "DC type game"? 4-color? Street-level? Dark and gritty? Just some more details on mood and theme, please.

Dark-ish. Full of doom and hopelessness. Power levels vary. Cinematic fast combat. Todays earth with a hodgepodge of character types..very Dark Horse/Image.

After some reflection, I'm thinking of someone like Batroc (Captain America villan, see the DC conversion and other info here: http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=737) an Anti-heroic Mercenary with a code of honor and fake accent and the intent on challenging the supers of this world, except this guy would be a knockoff of the Brits instead of the French.

Would that be too lighthearted?

After some reflection, I'm thinking of someone like Batroc (Captain America villan, see the DC conversion and other info here: http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=737) an Anti-heroic Mercenary with a code of honor and fake accent and the intent on challenging the supers of this world, except this guy would be a knockoff of the Brits instead of the French.

Would that be too lighthearted?

Maybe a bit too lighthearted, but its largely pending on what OTHER players want to do.. details as to the EXACT genre (date, seriousness, etc) will ultimately be decided by participants.

Archived