Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Infinite Earth OOC: General Discussion

Mr Fox

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, awesome. Professor Who and her life raft tardis. That's an interesting concept. I look forward to hearing more. Would you mind giving a bit more physical description of the life raft? I'm curious.

Also, something I've been exploring in my Elspeth fantasy story is the idea that there has been crossover between worlds at some point in the past.

Every world has stories of elves, dwarves, goblins, magic, gods, and monsters, etc. My thought is that somewhere along the lines the gateway at stonehenge (and other places) was more open and beings were able to pass through from time to time. Perhaps there are even cycles of activity where the gate 'opens' every thousand years or so allowing free travel for anyone. That's actauly why the British government has roped off the monument and posted guards. It's not to prevent tourists from touching it and defacing it, but rather to prevent them from accidently stepping through into another universe, but also to alert incase something might come through.

This is not something you guys have to incorporate into your stories, but I'm throwing it out there as something you can use if you want.

Also, for the record, Magic is an altered form of Quantum energy. In the event that anyone is ever interested in a fantasy world, I've been doing some thinking on it, and can give some details on how it works in game terms.

Interesting, Mr. Fox.

As for the EES Sakurako flies, the external shape is that of a typical 6-person life raft. It got stuck in that form when The Professor and her Human companion visited a water-world Earth trying to find if the reports of another survivor were true.

Life_Raft.jpg

The internal structure of the EES is much, much larger. Looks alot like the classic TARDIS interior, except the control room looks like the bridge of a spaceship, with the real time drive of the ship in the Engineering section.

IT's not infinitely large though, the total interior is as big as a small cruise ship in total internal volume.

I've just made a change to my background, The Professor lives in the universe her Human Companion lives in. She single-handedly stopped a war that would have destroyed all life there on that Earth, and that's how she sort of earned "Citizenship" on "Brittania", my name for that universe. Sarah feels she owes The Professor so she tags along helping with the small things.

Working out a few Houses and their leaders:

House of Beauty (Narcosis) - Entertainment moguls and women in high places.

House of Peace (Pax) - The most powerful House worldwide and the outright controller of East Africa.

House of War (Shrapnel) - A semi-mercenary House, has a foothold in the Congo.

House of the Phoenix (Kou) - The rulers of Japan.

Those are examples, there are many others with original NPCs and versions of canon NPCs. smile

Updating more as I go along.

Okay, guys. Just nailing up a proposed idea to make the chaos that is our Doctor Who Shout Out: a Batting order for posting so no one get's overwhelmed when they have to leave for RL demands and stuff on our crazy days. Makes, our crazy days less crazy, but... Sounds like a good idea to me.

Based on latest posting, here's my idea for an order...

Heather

Mech

Professor

Irma

Dash

Yes/No?

A strict posting order seems far too restrictive to me, outside of combat where initiative determines who goes when. while a posting frenzy as happened the other day can get a little confusing and require some editing when multiple people try to post at once, mostly I've been trying to post when it seemed like an update for my character was appropriate. For example, when the group broke up just now we each needed to say where we went, but the order we said it doesn't really matter.

During a posting frenzy, it would be a good idea, I think, for everyone participating to be in chat so we can tell each other that we are writing a post to minimize ninja'ing. After all, there have been several points so far where several different people could have reasonably responded to a post.

Might be a good idea.

We've been VERY enthusiastic in regards to this story, and it might make things better if we have just a little air traffic control. Not necessarily a posting order, but at least an agreement that whenever we are rocking out on IE, we do it with some coordination.

Announcement:

July will mark the 1 year anniversary of Infinite Earth, as such, on July 1st everyone will receive a gift of 25xp in celebration of the occasion.

I've done this before for milestones in other games I've run, like when SGU hit 5000 posts. I don't think those kinds of xp awards are appropriate for every game, but this game in particular was started with the intention of being the one game where you could go crazy with your characters and stories and legitimately reach the dizzying heights of power not allowed in other settings.**

As such, I feel that gifts of XP are appropriate in this game and along with the yearly gift of the Game's anniversary, each person may also take a 25xp gift on their own birthday.

While I am at it I'd also like to point out to everyone that stories that reach certain milestones also earn awards for the participating characters. See the Character Creation thread for details, but the gist of it is that for every 10,000 words a story reaches, you get 15xp. That is to reward writers for creating longer more involved stories.

Keep in mind that no one is here forcing you to take and spend the xp. If you are happy with your character the way he/she is, then that is fine. No one has to play characters at the outer limits of power, it's just that this setting is where you can do it if you want to.

** Surgeon General's Warning **

Studies have shown that extreme spending of XP can cause a syndrome known as Mary Sueism, and can lead to a character becoming boring to read about and play if precautions are not taken to insure conflict and challenge.

Welcome.

I sat down one day a while back and figured out how many xp it would take just to max out all of your stats, both regular and mega, and even at the rate it's given out in this game, (which is higher than any I've ever encountered) it would take over six and a half years at 25xp per month. And that's just for your stats, not including the xp it would take to buy your quantum up to the point where you could max them out. So yeah, no worries, I'm not too concerned about giving out 'too much' xp. grin

Assuming you start with 5 in all your regular stats...

Mega costs:

6 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45

times 9 equals a grand total of 2079 xp / 25 / 12 = 6.93 years.

So yeah, I don't think it's possible to give too much in this setting. Thus the big rewards for longer stories and things like anniversary, holiday, and birthday xp gifts.

Hell, Els has already got over 3 in all megas and 5 in a couple and it will still take a year to hit mega 5 in all her stats even at the rate I've been writing. (155 pages so far and counting)

• 1 month later...

Wow, you're going to go through a lot of lives if you die that easily. ;)

Like I've said previously, I look for excuses to give out more xp in this setting because of it's nature. Since you are more or less in charge within your setting, you may ask that folks not apply the xp during the course of your story if that makes sense for your game play. In other words, have them bank the xp if you think it might effect your story. Just throwing that out there as an option.

Oh that's not the issue, was just needing to get to work on Sakurako and what happens? The budget goes up. :P I mean... we're gonna have to pay the special effects guys more.

As for Sakurako's Immortality, the truth is she only has one life to live still. It's just that Death's a recoverable injury for her. Albeit she goes through some changes as a result of the healing process.

Well, we've also finished our first fic, so that means more xp as well. I wonder how many words it adds up to, as that is what determines the xp value. Just throwing that out there to make you worry about having even more xp.

Personally, I'm banking it until I have an in character reason to spend it. I'll probably spend a little in your world to represent learning the tech of another world.

A rough calc of the word count puts episode 0 at 27,000 words. Rounding down, that means 30 xp for it. 30 more to add to the pile of unspent xp. When I have something to spend this on, whooo-eee!

• 4 weeks later...

The forum is generally open world, but our particular story we are being careful how many characters to let in, and making certain that anyone we let in is compatible with our theme and the story we are trying to tell, which is a Doctor Who homage, only instead of travelling randomly throughout time, we are travelling randomly across universes. We have two more players working their way in, which really hits the limit of how many people this story can hold without getting unwieldy.

Archived