Battlestar G

Magus

I watched an episode of the new Battlestar Galactica last night and in the midsts of really getting into it, it occured to me that the actor playing Tom Zarack (a convicted terrorist held onboard the Astral Queen and playing a big part in the coming Colonial Day episode) is very familiar. So much so that after the episode is done I'm still pondering who he is because there's something so familiar about the actor/character's speech patterns. Then the penny dropped. He's the actor that played Apollo in the original series. He plays a man willing to resort to extreme measures very well.

I feel like such a dweeb for not recognizing him.

I am enjoying this series of a classic remake much so. When I watch it, its like when I watch Smallville; everyone in the house shuts up and leaves daddy alone. Its a trained response my family has from before TiVo. confused

It seems that every season there is another reason for me to spend more ours infront of the TV instead of the Computer. hahaha.

Praise Jah for TiVo.

It give me nightmares. I don't really care how good it may seem to others, but I am sick of franchises,and remakes. I mean, to me it is just another sign that people are to afraid of something new.

I could point out how I can't believe the characters, and how I can't stand the plot, but really that would be pointless. I don't like that, and others do. It is not as good as some of the stuff they used to have, but it is better than Star Gate.

[size:6]NOTHING IS BETTER THAN SG-1!

Now you must burn, Heretic!

laugh

But Battlestar Galactica comes pretty close. I can't help it. I love the documentary style cinematography, the prop backstory makes sense and I'm willing to wait for the second season to get the low down on what's going on with the Cylon civilization and not just the human/cylon fusions. Adama is literally a force of nature on the stage but all the acting is great.

Oh, and Boomer is hot, too. wink

Since I get to see the UK broadcast - meaning I've seen all the first seasons episodes while you are still mucking around with Colonial Day - I am now going to shut my mouth about the show.

Except to say that the rollercoaster ride is still speeding up on the way into the second season.

smile

The Invisible Man was decent for what it was. Not as cool as SG-1 but I watched that every night waiting for my StarGate fix. First Wave just flat out sucked. Sorry but it did.

Farscape was very cool until they decided the only reason people watched was to see two of the lead characters be angsty and repressed. About that time it went straight down the tubes though I'm looking forward to those two characters showing up on SG-1 next season.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard:
I don't really care how good it may seem to others, but I am sick of franchises,and remakes. I mean, to me it is just another sign that people are to afraid of something new.
As a note, remakes are something new. If you've ever watched the original Battlestar Galactica, you'll probably note that the current version doesn't actually have a lot in common with it. You've got the basic plot, and some basic character archetypes, but everything else is entirely reimagined. Remakes are rarely exactly the same as the original, for that would be stupid - the idea is to use the original as a base to create a new piece of work.

Similarly with SG-1. There's actually literally nothing similar between the two except for two characters, and one stargate. That's literally about it. Stargate was mostly a sci-fi flick about humans messing with stuff they don't understand, and helping to save a world the good old american way (with a big explosion!). SG-1, on the other hand, is more a rollicking good adventure series highlighting the need for human exploration, for better or for worse. They're rarely messing with things they don't understand, because usually someone figures it out pretty quickly.

The CSIs are a slightly different case, but I state that even if the premises are identical, they are three completely different shows. Each has a very distinct feel about it and has somewhat different character interactions (even if the leads are all virtually identical). I know a lot of people who aren't fond of CSI Miami, but love the other two. I have to admit, I kinda agree - CSI Miami just rubs me the wrong way.

But then, remember that there can't be anything original on television these days - Pop culture is so pervasive that every idea you come up with is going to be influenced by some other Pop culture ideology. What people attempt to do these days to come with fresh concepts is to take an old concept, and do something new with it. Personally, I think that's justifiable. The road is just as important as the car you're driving it on...

• 3 years later...

And it kept the one recurring theme through the whole series:

"All this has happened before...."

And if you don't know the rest of that saying or what it refers to, then you obviously haven't watched the series.

I'd say more, but I don't want to risk spoiling it.

But I agree with you, Fox...it was well done.

It was indeed a well put together and satisfying ending. I was happy that not every loose thread was tied and the there is still much room for discussion & debate among fans as to the meanings of various actions and events.

I can only hope that Lost will finish as well as BSG did because as of right now it is the last bastion of quality sci-fi on TV today.

Yeah, Lost really pulled it out. Season 3 was looking really bad right up until the last week or so. And then Season 4 and so far 5 have redeemed it for me.

I was afraid I was looking at another Heroes tailspin for a bit there.

...now THERE'S a show that personifies jumping the shark. I may even have to coin a new phrase for it. Like, "Surprise Nerf Eclipse," to be used in place of "deus ex machine."

See I don't have cable. I find these shows way after their prime. Same thing with video games...I tend to be one console generation behind the times and snatch things up used...

Anyways I have only ever seen one episode of Lost that was damn amazing (the one where the japanese guy flashes back to his past and his bride's father wants him to beat this man but he wont so the dad sends a hitman and the japanese guy beats the snot out of the guy to save his life...) and all I knew was that people shipwrecked on an island.

Guess I'll have to revisit it now that I know their is a smoke monster...

Archived