Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - Children Grow Up Fast [Complete]

In the first few weeks of her sons birth, it was rather clear that he was growing up fast, faster then normal, but it didn't seem that he was unheathy, or that it was any sort of reaction to disease. When she discussed it with her father, and brought her son to him, it turned out that he was maturing at a extremely accerated rate.

Around the time the second month rolled around, he was walking, and in terms of human development was about a year old. At which point he began to speak, and the child's mental development began to march ahead of the norm as well.

Connor was imprssed with his son, and still abit worried. They'd hidden him so far, hell they'd hidden the pregnancy except from only a select few. He smiled though. It would all be Okay.

He held out his hands and his son came to him, walking not quite perfectly, but he didn't care, his son.

"That's very good John, very good. You're such a smart boy." John jst looked up at him with the same bright yellow eyes Connor had and he laughed.

"I didn't walk until I was about a year old."

The youngster was starting to experiment with words and language at this point, and he was getting good, faster then he should, growing up at at a rather swift rate.

Aurora watched as Conner played with John, and her eyes sharped slightly with worry. The child was growing up fast, which was somewhat good, but she was concerned about how he would interact with the rest of the world.

Now that she had a son, she understood better her parents desire to remove themselves from contact with the rest of the world, to protect thier children. She was quite certain, however, that between the two of them, herself and Conner, they could protect thier child, though it was likely not a good idea to tempt fate too much, the assassination attempt showed her that.

Connor continued to play with his son, holding his hand gently yet firmly as he continued walking.

"He's really getting the hang of it Aurora. Next thing you know he'll be talking for real."

John looked up at him and smiled, laughing in that innocent way only babies can.

She looked at the two most important men in her life, hand in hand and smiled slightly, even as her thoughts continued to consider the matter of protecting them. Men, the majority of them at least, always seemed to feel the need to protect women, no matter how capable they were. She suspected it was a genetic thing reinforced or degraded by culture pressure but it was there.

Of course, on the inverse side of the matter, she now understood better a mother's need to protect her children. She already come to the conclusion, whatever it took to protect her family, she'd do it, without hesitation.

Of course, her perceptions were almost constantly taking in everything around her, at a level of detail no one but a nova could manage. "I look forward to it, he's really quite beautiful." She smiled at her son, knelt down, and held out her arms to him, to encourage him to come to her.

She lifted her son up in her arms, then and smiled at him as she chuckled at Conner's words. "Actually, darling, considering that both of us are capable of altering our form or shape, I'm not sure how much of that is him." She winked at Conner. "And how much of that is you, darling."

He nodded. "Still, I think he looks more like you. Any changing is by reflex at this point I think, he can't really control it."

"It's hard to believe isn't it? That we have a son?"

"We haven't known each other a year, and already we have such a wonderful child. It was clear the whole idea of it amazed him, and he wasn't someone easily amazed.

"Did you ever expect this when you first agreed to go out with me?"

"Agreed."

He reached over and tickled John, making him laugh, and The towering nova never looked so calm and content. "Good thing I thought about his name abit, the original plan would have gotten him teased by the older crowd. It still might."

Moving to sit down in a nearby couch, she looked over at Conner a moment, then she smiled slightly. "So, darling, I have a rather serious question. Where do we go from here? I mean, what do you want from life, and how do you want us to fit together?"

She gestured at John a moment. "Unfortunatly, we can't openly indicate he's our child, without serious repercussions, at least here on earth. I've a thought of exploring and looking for some other planet to set up shop so to speak, at least it would be somewhere without all the agenda's that are here on earth, and I've some ties to the Daelelus League, who are about exploring beyond earth. But there are plenty of other options avalible to us, I want to hear your thoughts."

Connor nodded. "I'll continue doing movies, though there likely won't be any more TV shows. I love Acting, and If I stop completely, we'll be subjected to even more intense scrutiny. That's part of being a celebrity."

He nodded. "You and John are the most important things in the world to me, and I'll keep you safe no matter what. I agree admitting openly he's our son would cause problems, Some of them neither of us are gonna be equipped to handle."

"Maintain your contacts, and we can at least go visit. I want to make sure he can survive such places before we ever think about taking him though."

"A long time ago Ayato mentioned his Father found a different way to leave this world, a way he himself is searching for. I can talk to him about it next time I get ahold of him."

"That sounds like a fairly decent set of plans for the time being, we can see how things go as we continue on." She was pleased by the response, and that Conner was giving the matter the consideration it deserved. "As long as we work together, with one another, and our allies, I'm sure we can find some way to improve matters."

• 2 weeks later...

"I think, my parents became isolationist because of problems that they had. I think that if they hadn't, my brother, sisters, and myself might not be here today." She paused a moment. "I'm not sure if that's lacking faith in humanity, or simply being a realist, based on past evidence."

Archived