Aberrant RPG - Question: Permanacy Aberration + Healing Power

El'Jinn Uu

Reason for this question.

I intended to throw the players up against a Highly aberrated NPC nova who has Finally reached Taint 9 (he's a Really nut case).

Anyhow, the guy Loves to beat people to death, and perfers them to Stay that way. He Hates it when he hits someone "gets back up, after he lays them out".

Presently he's pushed his Healing power one too many times when trying to heal himself after pissing off another nova. The idea being that he sometimes needs to Quantum Maxes in an 'attempt' to temporarily gain an extra that allows for more than one heal per scene. During his Last attepmt he botched the roll but actually gained the extra for the power. The power+extra are stuck in the On position fer good. To him, his healing power was to him just a way to always stay in the game longer (Wolverine Complex).

I was gonna have it so that each and every time he punched someone (he's a very visceral kinda nut and likes Loves that hands-on-feeling) he heals them aswell.

The Problem is that Healing only works once per scene and I'd wanted it to work with each physical strike, thus making his job evermore difficult.

He's got:

QR••• •••

Mega-Dex ••• (Rapid Strike/Enhanced Move)

Invulnerability Kinetic •••

Invulnerability Energy •••

Body Modification •••••••••(+9Brused HL)

And, Of course

Healing ••••••

Question is, has anyone out there already have well made 'Extra' for using Healing more often than once per scene.

If not, got a good rules idea?

As is the much of the Extras Technical aspects may be ignored After the Permancy aberration, but I still like to have them there for certain reasons...

Just throwin it out

Invulnerability Kinetic... twice? And... Kinetic what? A broad group incorporate all things related to kinetics?

Uhh...

I have an idea...

Leave it as it is. Aside from the completely stupid idea of adding Permanent to Healing, the way you have it written is legal. Permanency overwrites 'once per scene'. So every time he hits someone he heals 6 Lethal or 12 bashing and every time he gets hit he heals 6 lethal or 12 bashing and would continue to do so every round until it was healed fully.

He can not shut it off for any reason. So every time he shakes hands, he heals someone. Shaves... he heals himself. The only way to halt his healing would to create an injury that he could not heal (which is possible with rather mundane means...)

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Invulnerability Kinetic... twice? And... Kinetic what? A broad group incorporate all things related to kinetics?
Ha whoops, that'sbeen fixed to read
Invunl: Energy

I have an idea...

Leave it as it is. Aside from the completely stupid idea of adding Permanent to Healing, the way you have it written is legal. Permanency overwrites 'once per scene'. So every time he hits someone he heals 6 Lethal or 12 bashing and every time he gets hit he heals 6 lethal or 12 bashing and would continue to do so every round until it was healed fully.

He can not shut it off for any reason. So every time he shakes hands, he heals someone. Shaves... he heals himself. The only way to halt his healing would to create an injury that he could not heal (which is possible with rather mundane means...)
He he he... Yes, it Is a stupid idea! But a fun crazy one at that.
Didn't realize that the Permanency already covered the "more than once per turn" issue.
Either way, This villian will still go down quickly enough once the player catch on, as being Physically tough and fast healing doesn't come close to equalling indestructible.

LOL-While Shaving
nana Dave for the win!!
You rock. Thank you for the quick reply.

I don't see how you add "Permanency" to a power that has a duration of Instant. For example he very clearly *does* have a way to "turn it off", i.e. he can just not touch someone.

Much more applicable would be "Uncontrolled" (I think that's what it's called, my book isn't here). The power turns on without his consent whenever he touches/hits someone. And yes, this does cost q.

EDIT: Although for an ST boss-villain character if you're not going to use it as a ground breaking president, then feel free to hand wave all that. wink

Originally Posted By: Courier
I don't see how you add "Permanency" to a power that has a duration of Instant. For example he very clearly *does* have a way to "turn it off", i.e. he can just not touch someone.

Except it's not turned off. This is something that people always forget about Permanency. It's always on. Someone with Permenent Flight can't stop flying; they might hover over the ground and look like they're standing on the ground, but they're not. Even when it's turned off, its still healing him because its in contact with him. It's healing him, even though he's not injured. It's always healing him and everyone else he touches.

I don't see how you add "Permanency" to a power that has a duration of Instant.

Technically you can't, and honestly I was going to point that out but figured since it was an NPC and no not a PC it didn't matter in this case.

You shouldn't add permanency to a power that has a duration of instant.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
Except it's not turned off. This is something that people always forget about Permanency...
This is off the cuff without looking up the exact references in the book but...

I agreed what you said about flying and "always on"... but when we apply that to *instant* powers we quickly get a mess. Q-Bolt doesn't last 3 seconds (one round), it just can only be used once every 3 seconds against the same target (and even that probably isn't true when used in combo with Temporal Manipulation which can grant *full* actions).

What stops you from using Q-Bolt+Perm to deal infinite damage? Aren't you firing it an infinite number of times per round? It clearly doesn't take an action so that's not a limiting step any more.

For that matter, our healing guy isn't limited to once per scene and his powers don't cost juice. If he heals whenever he does any action, then why doesn't he heal fully every turn no matter how much damage he has (and there are monsters that do this in other systems)? He could just split an action 2 or 3 ways and zap.

He works well as a boss villain (although maybe he should be taint 10) but it's worth noting that giving him a costless 6 levels regen is VERY strong. That's deep into "only for NPC" territory... but since that's where we are it's not an issue.

What stops you from using Q-Bolt+Perm to deal infinite damage? Aren't you firing it an infinite number of times per round? It clearly doesn't take an action so that's not a limiting step any more.

Actually, permanent means you can not control it anymore. Splitting your actions doesn't do anything because you do not control it. Using Time powers does nothing, because you, nor your powers do not control it.

Perm on duration powers means it never shuts off. If you, as an ST want to place it on an instant power, then that power is activated one/turn whether the PC wants it to or not. So if you Perm Q-Bolt then your Q-Bolt will happen once, at a random direction/target per turn and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

You go out on a date... bam, chances are she's hit in a few moments. Flying through the sky? Once every three seconds you blast something, maybe the ground, maybe it just goes off into the sky.

Quote:
For that matter, our healing guy isn't limited to once per scene and his powers don't cost juice. If he heals whenever he does any action, then why doesn't he heal fully every turn no matter how much damage he has (and there are monsters that do this in other systems)? He could just split an action 2 or 3 ways and zap.

You could over complicate a wet dream.

Actually, permanent means you can not control it anymore...
True, but this isn't the definition of "permanent". All dogs are mammals, not all mammals are dogs.

If you, as an ST want to place it on an instant power, then that power is activated one/turn whether the PC wants it to or not.
That is certainly workable and fully deserves the words "high level aberration".

But there's no reason this needs to be limited to instant powers. Immolate (or Telepathy) activating once per turn in an uncontrolled manor sounds pretty workable. It'd -suck-, but high level aberrations aren't supposed to be nice.

Quote:

You could over complicate a wet dream.
laugh Damb Dave, I was drinking from my water bottle when I read that last part. Now I'm cleaning up the mess all over the floor. I just busted a gut reading that.

BTW-I agree with what all you are saying, and in truth I'd perfer to use "Uncontrollable Power" as, I didn't want him using this power for his own good for this NPC but, after some consideration I realized that the books constantly push you to "Be flexible when it is logical", so I realized that during game play it could get a little rediculous to be constantly deciding when and where the power should go off since this guy will likely be taken down for good at some point. So I've decided to just stick with the Perma-heal method fer now and bypass the 'instant' restriction for now, otherwise this guy is going to run out of QP before he ever faces off against the PC's.
Addendum to this is to remember that, although Having an aberration should be fun or useful from time to time, Most all (Not all but most) Aberrations should be seen as Bad things.
This NPC Loves contact/touching those he wishes to kill as This is another one of his aberrations, as is his need for Perfection (In that what is destroyed, other than himself who Must stay alive to detroy, Must stay that way). Thus Perma-Heal is to HIM a Horrid thing to have. To Other NPC's and PC's alike this May be considered one heck of a great thing to Always have active.

To Mother Terrisa or a Trauma Surgon this aberration would have been Very helpful indeed, but then it wouldn't be much of an affliction. Sometimes a Nova will infact gain a Helpful or fun aberration as is the case of the members of 'Terrigen', who can control which aberrations they can get through chrysalis (One of chrysalis Only few good points), this may happen More often, but Even for them it should suck from time to time.

That said about the Good and Mostly Bad about Taint & Aberration, This guy is Way too temp of a player for me to go with 'Uncontrollible-Power' as, I'd see this aberration as something I'd Inflict upon my Actual players.

Thank you all agian fer all of your imput. I NOW need to finish working on the Other bosses.

Oh, and the reason I chose to not give the NPC a Taint of Ten was because I needed him to be at least Somewhat I control so that I could make him an intelligent nut.

Besides, To have Permanancy you only need to have a taint of 8.

Dave just gave me a Horrid idea for "Q-Bolt + Permanence"... Gall permanence can be a Mean aberration. smirk

Archived