Earthquake

Typhoon

Quote:
Typhoon:
My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have loved ones caught in the disaster.
Ditto.

On a side note, something was posted in the local paper about this. Two students from my former college were boating out to an small island to go snorkling. The island was wreaked when they showed up, so they went back and found the coast was also wreaked. Because they were in transit they missed the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
On a slightly different subject, is Conduit okay. Seems his neck of the woods has alot of flooding ... and the boy is made of copper. I would hate to see him become fossilized evidence for future generations.
Poor poor Sedona. I'm in Tucson, just a bit further south, around 230 mi.

That flooding really isn't all that bad compared to other years. But then again compared to this Tsunami those were a walk in the park.

Sadly they found the bodies of 2 canoers from Prescott. Usually people don't die in the flooding we have here. It's so common that people make sure they don't get caught up in one. We actually have a law for when you enter a flooded wash and get your car stuck in the water. We call it the stupid citizen law. It allows the fire dept. to charge you a fine for having to bring out their trucks when they could be helping people with real problems.

Yep, floods, fires, droughts, tropical storms, and we get the occasional tornado. Most of the time we just get that funnel cloud thingy. They usually don't touch down, but the winds are enough to send tree branches flying.

Floods are the most damaging to homes in the city. One time the sherrifs dept closed all the roads into my neighborhood because there was a foot of water coming into peoples homes. We had to sit on the side of the road for a few hours. In '83 we had really bad flooding. It took out all the bridges in town. Kinda the same as what's going on in Sedona, except that we have a much larger population so the city got rocked by traffic wanting to go home.

And then there was the Aspen fire. That was intresting.

I'd rather deal with our stuff then a tornado or a blizzard. Droughts are easy, "oh no it's not raining what ever shall we do." We're in one right now and nobody really notices.

edit: Endeavor-pfft "heat wave" spare me :rolleyes:laugh

Ah, but you've never been to Tucson in late July. Most people don't come here then so they don't experience the Monsoon. Our humidity gets up that high too, but we maintain the 110 heat. Granted it's only around for a for a few weeks, but it's unpleasant when at 3 in the morning the humidity is 90 and the temp is 90, because you know it's gonna be hotter later. Keep in mind that Tucson is in the wettest and coolest part of the Sonoran Desert. And you guys don't have swamp coolers. That's instant Amazon conditions.

Plus the dry heat is no good when you are working outside. We just recently had a football player die because he wasn't drinking enough water. Out here you get less then a day with no water and then it's lights out.

And humidity goes out the door when the dashboard of your car is 300, your stearing wheel is 250 and the ambient temp is 200. I've had those thin receipts you get from Best Buy or the gas station burn inside my car. And I've cooked canned soup by laying it on my engine block and shuting the hood.

Don't get me wrong, the humidity you guys get is bad. And I'm sure the summers are cruel, but we get it too.

A few summers ago we had 115 days of 100+ heat. That's three and a half months (1/4 of the year) of blistering heat and no rain.

I thank god everyday I don't live in Yuma or Lake Havasu, where it gets to 120 consistantly, and Lake Havasu is...well next to a lake, so their humidity is pretty bad.

Again, don't get me wrong. It's much easier to deal with dry heat then humidity. As long as you drink water you are fine. However, there is no getting rid of your guys humidity. But keep in mind that visiting is a lot different then living. Sounds like you would probably say the same about blizzards laugh

I've edited this thing a few times, but here's one more. This thread isn't suppose to be a contest of who's town has the crappiest weather. Because flat out a Tsunami beats everything. I love the heat, sounds like you guys enjoy the snow. Next time we are in each other areas we can get together and compare weather patterns over a beer. Until then let's send our thoughts to those affected. And even though money doesn't fix everything, it does help orphans find food and it does pay the doctors to treat the injured and sick, so if you have some spare change, throw some their way they need it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Count Janos Rakozi:
A quick note:
I live in the only place in North America that the Spanish left of their own free will.

I had a buddy living in Pheonix and had a twenty minute commute to work. He ALWAYS carried a runner's pack of water with him ... just in case his car broke down, or the traffic was really bad.
Well now I'm curious. Florida? Georgia? I thought most were through tricky diplomacy. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the Gadsden Purchase were essentially hostile take overs.

Yeah I have a few liters of water in my car just in case. I used to have a 55 min commute. It was through the city though, so if anything broke down there were plenty of people to help me out. I move though and now only have a 25 min commute. Most people in Pima County (obviously the county I live in) commute into the city. Some people have an hour and a half drive through the middle of no where. You should see their trunks. Gallons of water, dried food for days, blankets etc. Then there are the people who don't bring that stuff and break down, they can get into some serious trouble. But that's probably true every where. It would suck getting stuck in your car in a blizzard.

Tucson is the only place west of Texas that has been under the control of 4 countries (note: European Countries, there were too many indigenous people here before us to count). That I know of at least, I could be wrong. Definitley between AZ and NM, but I can't think of any outside of those that have so...

Oh no, I'm not trying to compete. I gave up that stuff a long time ago when I used to work with someone who grew up in Egypt and another who grew up in Alaska.

And yea, tidal waves suck the big one. Those, earthquakes, and those huge fires they tend to get in California are the worst: the only "sure thing" escape is being up in the air. I'm somewhat surprised India is refusing help. I know we balked to help, but plenty of others came to help.

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklin 'Singularity' Alden:
Oh no, I'm not trying to compete.
I know laugh I was just trying to get back on topic. I get caught up in tangents all the time. Right now for instance... shocked

So, yeah, back to the seriousness.

Four European Countries?

Let me see, there are the big players (Britian, France, Spain, and Portugal) and the little guys (Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Holland).

Spain, Russia, and England all claimed Oregon.

Parts of the Lousiana territory was claimed by England, Spain, and France. Georgia had French, English, and Spanish outposts.

The only state that the Spanish left of their own free will is North Carolina. They cut a treaty to leave S. Carolina and Georgia (the War of Jenkin's Ear), but just wrote off NC as useless to them - Indians too hostile and no gold.

I'm sorry. I should have qualified this better. Four Europeanized countries.

We had Spain, Mexico, US, and Confederate States. New Spain if you count that as a seperate country. Almost had the Sierre Madre in control(a rebellious state from Mexico). Mexico has also had several types of government, Emperors, Kings, Dictators, I don't count those as seperate countries so 4 is my total.

Ah N Carolina. Didn't think of that one. Thanks for the info Bastian. Technically the Treaties that I mentioned were of their own free will, but considering the US had invaded Mexico City on the first one and never paid for the second one, I consider those forced.

Geez, I'm lucky - I'm nowhere near the tropics so we get diddly squat in terms of natural disaster.

That said, the place where I used to live (Adelaide, South Australia), had these horrible heatwaves. In Melbourne, The weather's so unpredictable you can't tell the afternoon's weather from lunchtime's weather, but Adelaide had real stable weather. So, yeah, couple of weeks of 35C+ weather, often several days of 40C+ weather, with the occaisional peak of 50C weather.

Once it passes 40C, they typically let us out of school early. Which sounds good, but in practice means you have to walk home. Before 3pm. When it's still the hottest part of the day. That said, bad weather bells for scorching heat were quite amusing now that I look back at it (35C+).

But here? Nada. Occaisionally a suburb or two gets flooded, but nothing severe, and nothing particularly lethal.

Yeah walking home in that kind of heat must suck. We don't have school when it's the hottest. Crazy southern hemisphere with your crazy mixed up seasons. smile

One year the A/C broke down at my junior highschool. They didn't have enough money to fix and/or replace everything. They said we would just have to tough it out. After a few kids passed out from heat exhaustion and enough parents complained they changed the school hours. For a few weeks we came in at 6 in the morning so we could get out at 1ish. Similar to your problem though Kirby. Sure we were out early, but being stuck in a big metal bus with no a/c was unpleasant. One time my shoes melted to the floor, it was actually kind of cool.

Thankfully our weather is nice most of the year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Typhoon:
See, Kirby talking about 40C to 50C degree weather kinda scares me. We get 30C here and people start boiling eggs on cars, also people and animals start dropping like flies from heat stroke.
Geez, 30C is a reasonably nice day here - hot, but not so hot that you can't do anything (days like those are typically spent at the beach, or a pool). In Adelaide, it's typically a dry heat anyway, so not so draining.

But I wouldn't let it scare you too much. It's true - typically we get a few older people each year dying from heatstroke, but remember that structures in Australia are built for our conditions, so if you stay indoors, it's not so bad (same goes with our animals - any imports that didn't die out can survive in our heat...). Also, we're drilled in proper summer behaviour as kids - always wear a hat (preferably wide-brimmed or Legionnaire), apply sunscreen religiously, and wear cool clothing (like shirts, etc) to keep your skin from frying. Oh, and stay out of the sun if you can at all avoid it! Past 35C, if you have a job that requires being out in the sun, you pretty much have the day off.

Also, pretty much everywhere has Air conditioning, and if you're unfortunate enough not to, shopping malls always do, so they tend to get a lot of refugees escaping from the heat. Of course, every summer we also get power transformer explosions from the combination of heat and excessive amounts of power running through them, but then we're also prepared for that, so electrical crew can fix them ASAP.

Oh, and while this is hot, this is near the south coast! If you go further inland into South Australia, some weather stations there have average temperatures of 35+ - Adelaide last summer had a mean maximum of just under 30C, which is still bloody hot, but not so bad. Maree weather station recorded a mean maximum temperature in February of 40.1C!

Remember, Australians deal with this on a yearly basis, so we do prepare. Most houses have a lot of insulation to keep the heat out, and the A/C business is a booming one here.

Wait, so if you have an outdoor job, and it gets hotter then 35C you go home. Wow. No offense, but kinda lame. Most landscape and construction companies start early here, but they don't let people go home.

I pulled some info off of Yahoo Weather, so god knows how accurate it is. It's interesting how Marrees lows are actually pretty freakin warm. It rains in Tucson much more though. Of course not in recent years.

Marree----------Avg High/Low/Precipitation

January---------93.2° F 66.7° F 0.70 in

February--------92.3° F 66.7° F 0.80 in

March-----------86.7° F 62.4° F 0.60 in

April-------------77.9° F 55.8° F 0.50 in

May-------------68.7° F 49.1° F 0.90 in

June------------63.1° F 43.9° F 0.50 in

July--------------62.2° F 42.6° F 0.70 in

August----------65.5° F 44.1° F 0.60 in

September-------72.0° F 48.7° F 0.70 in

October-----------79.3° F 54.3° F 0.60 in

November--------85.5° F 59.5° F 0.70 in

December--------90.1° F 63.9° F 0.50 in

Tucson

January---------66.0° F 33.0° F 0.84 in

February--------70.0° F 36.0° F 0.80 in

March-----------74.0° F 40.0° F 0.80 in

April-------------82.0° F 44.0° F 0.22 in

May-------------90.0° F 53.0° F 0.24 in

June------------99.0° F 62.0° F 0.35 in

July--------------99.0° F 70.0° F 2.54 in

August----------97.0° F 68.0° F 2.69 in

September-------94.0° F 62.0° F 1.39 in

October-----------85.0° F 50.0° F 1.12 in

November--------74.0° F 39.0° F 0.55 in

December--------66.0° F 33.0° F 1.07 in

Sorry there isn't any Celsius, but that would require more work. Also sorry it's all not in line. That would also require extra work.

So yeah, pretty interesting. What's the hottest/coldest place in Australia?

Quote:
Originally posted by Conduit:
Wait, so if you have an outdoor job, and it gets hotter then 35C you go home. Wow. No offense, but kinda lame. Most landscape and construction companies start early here, but they don't let people go home.
Well, We also have pretty powerful unions around here. ("From now on, we only work Thursday!" "What? Every bloody Thursday?") Many of our workers are regarded as exceptionally slack by world standards, and, well, they're probably right.

Quote:
So yeah, pretty interesting. What's the hottest/coldest place in Australia?
According to this link :

Quote:
The most consistently hot place in the state is Wyndham, average maximum throughout year of 34.6°C, and average minimum for the coldest month is 18.9°C. Marble Bar, generally regarded as the hottest place in Australia has a higher yearly average maximum of 35.4°C but during its coldest month the minimum temp drops to an average of 11.4°C. During one period from 3 October 1923 to 7 April 1924, the maximum temp at Marble Bar exceeded 100° Fahrenheit (about 37.8°C) for 160 consecutive days. The highest temp on record is 50.7°C at Eucla on the south coast.
It's a little harder to get the coldest place, but it's likely to be in the Australian Alps in the Great Dividing Ranges. The coldest recorded temperature is -22°C in Charlotte Pass, in that general area, and yes, we know that's diddly. I don't have figures for coldest average, because they're near impossible to find...

Ah, labor unions. Ours are only effective for jobs that require training. Trade skill guys go on strike alot and usually get what they want.

Since we are so close to the border they have a huge employee base to pull from. If a construction worker says, "I'm not working in this heat. I'm going on strike." They say, "Fine, don't come back...ever." And then they hire a Mexican to do the job at 1/4 the wage you had.

Interesting with the weather. We live so far away, but it is essentially the same place. smile

Archived