Superman is Dead

Singularity

I actually never really caught Reeves except on cable movies occasionally...but when he started becoming a celebrity fighting his situation I thought that was really cool.

And damn you for naming this thread Superman is dead. Now I'm expecting 4 new but different Christopher Reeves to come back and find out he's still alive somewhere.

and considering the trend we've seen in the past few months, doesn't it seem like a lot of celebrities are dying these days?

(I'm a regular at Retrocrush.com...We try to keep track of these things. It's tragic)

While I don't have an exact place to point to you. The general gist is that everyone who has played Superman has met an unfortunate end.

George Reeves, who was the original TV Superman, was either murdered or commited suicide.

Christopher Reeve just passed.

Not to mention the person who was the voice of Superman in the Superfriends cartoons died a couple days ago.

That leaves Dean Cain. Who played Superman in the "Lois and Clark" series.

I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have written Reeve into that story I did with Vixen - much less had him walking around, thanks to the advances in the Nova Age. At the time it seemed like a perfect fit - a man whom everyone associates with the first and greatest superhero, who came to be known more for his work on spinal injuries, just seemed like someone Roxanne would look up to.

But right now, it feels just a little exploitive. Because I looked up to him too - and I'm sad that the only way he managed to escape his wheelchair was by leaving this world behind.

God rest you, Mister Reeve. You made me believe a man could walk.

Not to be cynical but, the facts are simple. He died,and no amount of mourning will bring him back. On top of this you have to remember that millions of people die each and evryday. I do not see tears for the 60 people who were shot to death in California yesterday or the countless people who die from aids...So, people stop crying over celebrities, unless you also cry over those who aren't famous.

Yes, he was doing good things for a type of people who have been given the short end of the stick. But really was he working for a cure because he wanted to help others, or because he wanted to help himself?

Dreamer, we couldn't read his mind. We couldn't figure out his true intentions. But he refused to give up on himself, and for that I admire him. Even if it seemed selfish, he in turn got the ball rolling for others anyway.

No matter how you split it, ol' Chris had guts.

Can't we at least remember him as someone who didn't give up?

It is mainly because you and others acted in the same way as when Wendy's makers died. So, in a way I was pointing out that you were acting at least me as if every famous person should be treated as if they are heroes.

So wile I think he was a good person, I have to say yes he was a good person, but my point is also that many good people die for less reason,and go unoticed. So when ever some one famous dies, I have to ask why people are making a fuss. Is because they are famous,or if they are good people.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
So wile I think he was a good person, I have to say yes he was a good person, but my point is also that many good people die for less reason,and go unoticed. So when ever some one famous dies, I have to ask why people are making a fuss. Is because they are famous,or if they are good people.
I make a goddamn fuss because he meant something to me, as did Rodney Dangerfield to a lesser extent (though I'm not waiving the black for him here). If I had someone I knew personally that was close to me I'd be mourning in the same way. In a sick, objective way, I'm lucky because it's only two people to mourn right now. I don't need to justify why I'm mourning someone who actually tried to make a difference in other people's lives.

Man, and I thought I was being cold by making the Comic book joke.

Dreamer: It's because he's Famous and it's not publicly illustrated if he was an asshole. For what it's worth, I think he's only mourned by people who knew him or knew his work...so obviously him being a celebrity fits in there. I feel bad for random people who died, but asking everyone to distribute their death sorrow is just kind of silly. And where does it go? Do I mourn for the people of Iraq who are dying as well as the American troops? I really don't want to get into politics or anything but there's no real objective way to address mourning.

Crap that came across as preachy. My bad.

As you were.

Or something. I'm just going blah blah blah here. I'm not even really mourning Reeves, either. Sure it's sad, but I lost him like 9 years ago. I just think mourning is such a personal thing that I'd never impose guilt on someone for feeling bad.

Wait. Imposing "guilt" on someone for feeling bad? Weird.

I'm allowed to give my emotions to whomever I wished. It's not like I give them to any celebrity that has anything bad happen to him/her, but Christopher Reeve meant a large amount to me. I can remember those days me and my dad would sit on the couch watching the superman movies over and over. He didn't let his problems get to him either, he kept on living, and it was a life I would have been happy to live for him, one full of mercy and caring towards others. You have no right to tell me how to feel about whoever.

Archived