Scion Game/RPG-Post and Eon Merge

Hey, I'm looking into starting a Scion: Hero game on Eon, to help revivify the site. Its my first time running the system, so I'm going for something fairly basic, 'Supernatural with godlings' in style. We don't quite have enough players as is, though, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

Originally Posted By: metaphysician @ EON
Hmm, I'm not entirely comfortable with the thought, but if thats what it takes, I suppose.

Considering Alex Green took the time to come over here and swipe my Scion character sheet template for use in your game, you better be damn comfortable with the thought of askin' us here at RPG-Post if maybe we wanna participate.

Although I'm curious why you're starting a game on a forum that'll be closing down soon.

Courier took that template (so far as I know) from the Legends of the Wild West chargen thread. If that was yours originally, Dave, then congratulations on a template well-designed. Next time though, make sure to copyright it if you don't want people "swiping" it because they happen to like it. Or alternately, you might consider - I don't know - being flattered that even folks on an entirely different board think "your template" is a nice enough design that they choose to use that rather than redesigning the wheel.

Because, ya know, the fact that it's just kinda sitting there in a chargen thread for anyone to "swipe" and use, with no copyright info or even a polite note about not using it without the express permission of "Dave ST"... well, it kinda makes your last post look like it was written by an overbearing asshole, Dave. I suppose you're still waiting for Dawn to apologize to you for running a game filled with revenants in it too?

As to the site closing down; it probably will do so soon if there continues to be no real activity on it. If a game gets started then it would remain open, as per the site's moderator.

As Kazuo said, "Alex Green" and our Courier are the same person.

You do not need to put a copyright on any works to in fact copyright them. Every single thing on this website has an implied copyright owned by the creator. And so does the content on every other web site. Having the copyright there only helps your settlement when you are suing for damages. Web content is not public domain.

I have had several instances where people have taken a ton of content off of this site, and others that I have ran. On those instances I can tell you that I was very upset. I have had other sites taken down completely for copyright infringement upon my works as recently as last month.

I have this discussion often with my clients, because people often think that the images you search for in google are free and public domain. I've also had clients that were forced to pay thousands of dollars because they didn't heed my advice.

I'm not trying to get into the middle of this, but I did want to at least stand up for Dave in this regard. The most important aspect of my job here is to protect the people on the site.

Hopefully my next message will be more positive and help render this issue moot.

I have tried this a couple times in the past, with Chill and Archer, and would like to offer it again. I would like to join forces with the people at Eon. I'd like to offer a merging of the sites. I'm a huge fan of the Aeon Universe, and have been a fan of Eon since the beginning. Chris and I had a lot of conversations in the beginning, but I haven't really gotten to know anyone after he left. I have a ton of respect for Ian Watson, but unfortunately don't know Jackson Creed.

I can't recall my password there and apparently my registration was created under another email address. And my new registration has to be authorized before I can actually contact anyone there. So I thought that I would go ahead and post this in hopes that people that frequent both sites could help in the discussion process.

This site isn't going anywhere, and hell I have stipulations about the site in my will in case I die so that the site will continue. So this is a safe place to keep the Aeon Universe going.

The specifics can be discussed at a later point, but I want to offer to host and keep the content of Eon alive for the long haul. Each active member there is welcome here, and any ongoing development will still be available here. I am recommending a merge, but would also be willing to keep the domain name alive like I have for nprime.net so that people that visited the site would still be able to find it.

If you are a member of eononline.net please relay my message so that we can help to guarantee that the fans of the Aeon Universe will still have a place to go many years from now.

Quote:
Chosen's first post.
I was not aware of this. Looks like I owe Dave an apology for not respecting his rights to his template. I still feel his attitude was uncalled for, but if the template is legally his, then it's legally his, and it's his business who he shares it with.

Quote:
Chosen's offer to merge the sites
I'll relay the message for you right now, Chosen.

Yes, I'm also Alex Green.

That sheet (from my perspective) originally came from WWWest. It was posted as the format to create & submit characters to WWWest, which I did.

If I've tripped over any copyright issues then it was accidental and I'll take it down... it'd seemed to me that having created a character, it then became mine and I didn't see anything wrong with re-submitting it to a different game nor in posting his format so the ST could have unity.

Thanks Kazuo.

You aren't making any money from it, but Dave could ask you to remove it if he were so inclined. I also think that not knowing that Courier was the person responsible makes it worse for him.

I simply think the nice thing to do is ask. Hopefully Dave would have had the flattered reaction that Kazuo mentioned if someone had approached him. I don't want to speak for Dave though.

I'm not faulting someone for not knowing the laws. I only know this because I have encountered it multiple times.

Originally Posted By: Kazuo
Quote:
Chosen's first post.
I was not aware of this. Looks like I owe Dave an apology for not respecting his rights to his template. I still feel his attitude was uncalled for, but if the template is legally his, then it's legally his, and it's his business who he shares it with.

In the past, Dave has said that his stuff was open for people to use. If something isn't available for free use, he might want to amend that statement somewhere. I wasn't aware that he had put any limitations on content he'd created, and he always seemed pleased when people did. I know I've 'swiped' things for use from him before.

Of course, his first post may have been him joking around.

Just hoping to shed some light on the situation.

Wow. I'm not used to threads actually getting replies this fast. *ahem*

Also, sorry, what I meant was simply that I am not really a regular here, and so don't know everybody like on Eon. Of course, since I know everybody on Eon because its maybe ten people on an exceptionally good day. . .

I don't want to speak for Dave either, but I think the issue was more that it seemed to be implied that the resources posted on Eon were not pulled from elsewhere- that "Alex Green" (our Courier, apparently) created them, etc. Generally, things posted here only get used by other people on the site, so that's not typically a problem. Something like, "Hey, here's a character template one of the folks at RPG-Post made up, and I think it'd work well for us here, " would (I think) have made a big difference. AFAIK, it's more a question of courtesy than ownership, but I could be wrong! Just my two cents. smile

Actually, I don't mind if people use it, that's why I made it. The part that pissed me off was where people from RPG-Post are making accessories (Me) and others (Courier) are distributing them to Eon to help them out with their games over there and the best someone at EON can offer up is that they'd prefer not to ask us to play in their reindeer games.

I thought that was pretty shitty. Apparently we're good enough to help them make their games easier to run (by supplying them with supplements that make things run smoother) but we're not good enough to actually be allowed to play in them is the message I got. Even people who might annoy the shit out of you should always be allowed a fair opportunity to enjoy themselves, especially when we all share the same hobby. No one should be excluded in my opinion.

Now, if I'm in error, fine. But the bottom line was not, allow me to repeat that since some of you like to hear only what you want to hear. The bottom line was not 'don't use my stuff because I made it'. The bottom line was, "If you come over and make use of our templates (Dawn is correct, I consider my contributions to be for every one here to use, despite copyright I just want people to have a good time) then at least offer the people from here the common courtesy of an invite."

Which he's done, admittedly, but at the time I didn't understand the reason for his hesitation. I don't know any people on EON, and really haven't had any desire to since I met Skylion... With Chosen's offer to merge the sites (which I, believe it or not, think is an excellent idea) I hope that we'll be seeing more in traffic around here.

So, Metaphysician, welcome to the site. Sorry I slapped you as you came through the door. While I certainly won't ride your ass for borrowing anything here that may improve your game, I do ask that you keep in mind that there are several players here who would certainly enjoy the opportunity to take part in your game.

My apologies, and welcome to the site.

~Dave

since I can't respond on the EON site I wanted to comment to sprocket's post here.

Quote:
The only thing that might be a problem is the possibility of losing the game materials here at EON. Putting them into ZIP archives for download from an RPG-Post page or thread would seem a viable solution.

I can give everyone my guarantee that nothing would be lost in merging the sites. The main reason I want to get involved is to make sure that these resources won't disappear.

Short term I would create a new page(s) that mimics what is on EON. I am already working on a better download solution for this site, which I work work all of the EON material into long term.

Hi, Jackson Creed here, Admin and owner of EON. Let me know what username you want for the EON forum and I'll verify you (EON suffers from horrific levels of spambots which are a bit beyond my ability to prevent without making the forum verification only). Then we can talk with the other active members and decide on how to proceed.

JC

Archived