New Star Wars?

Singularity

Rumors. Pure and simple.

You see, Lucas himself has said after E-III, it's over. He didn't want Star Wars to turn into another "Star Trek" (his words), and he would be too old to do another trilogy.

If you read that article, that news article was written with info from theforce.net, wich is not a trustible source of info. Amy "leak" or tea-leaf anomolies get their lips flapping.

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklin 'Singularity' Alden:
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=115020814&p=yy5xzy5zx

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten everything I expected from Episodes 1 and 2 (space opera/scifi pulp) and I even own them on DVD, but at some point it seems like Lucas (the fat, old, rich Ewok that he is) is just milking it for all its worth.

Anyone else share my reservations?
Well, apart from this being pure speculation based on shoddy conclusions...

Star Wars had episodes 7-9 already. They have not been filmed, but were part of the Star Wars chronology.

I gave up on Lucas about the time I saw Vader taking an interest in Pepsi. Be thankful you got what you wanted out of Eps 1+2, because I only came up with a raw, seething hatred for good ole GL. For what it's worth, I'm sure that Eps 7-9 will be of similar quality. That is, if they're ever made.

Keep in mind that Lucas has said "no" to these movies being made, but he waffled on The prequels, so that doesn't mean anything (Except expect to see him when his bank account drops back down to 30 figures).

• 4 years later...

I read recently that Lucas claimed that he at no point in time stated there would be a third trilogy. I don't know when I first heard about it, but It was so long ago that it seems like gospel to me now... even if they aren't going to do it.

I'm readying the making of for episode 4 and it is pretty good. It was recently edited based on interviews from the 70s. Here's a link to the book: The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Filmir?t=nprim-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0345494768

In point of fact, there ARE 9 episodes...or were. Lucas said he was following a mythical structure...starting in the middle, going back to the beginning and then moving to the end.

It is well known what those episodes were to be about...Leia is trained by Luke and becomes a Jedi mAster and the two open a new school. Han and Leias children grow to become powerful as well. The emprorer returns with the cloned bodies he had stashed about the Galaxy and Luke briefly turn to the dark side before finally defeating the emporer for good.

All of this is old old news.

Lucas is just a lazy yet overcontrolling bastard. The prequal episodes would have been better if he done what he had originally...hired other directors to helm them. There is a a reason why TESB is the best of the originals and arguably all of them...

Thanks, Adrian, but I'll pass.. I absolutely LOVE the original three, w/Ep. V being my favorite.. and I absolutely understand why he did the remake of the Special Edition versions - the graphic improvements were amazing, and I would be equally frustrated if I hadn't been able to create as visually beautiful or complex of a world that I had wanted to in the first place because of technical restrictions. But Ep. I made me disillusioned, Ep. II made me slightly annoyed, and Ep. III, with all it's inaccuracies, just made me FURIOUS. I wouldn't waste my time going to see the last three episodes even if they did make them. The remastered classics are, IMHO, as good as it gets, the books were fairly enjoyable, and the rest is just capitalism.

*steps off her soapbox*

Star Wars is so far beyond played out its not even funny. Every subsequent release drags what was once one of the grandest movie trilogies down deeper into silliness and inanity. I only hope that in fifty or 100 years people can still see some of the original magic through all of the blatant raping of the IP.

Yeah, because Return of the Jedi was a masterpiece. :P

In my opinion, all of the films are equally bad. ALL of them. The only one I'm lenient on quality wise is Empire Strikes Back. And knowing that they are bad doesn't keep me from liking them, but I'm not going to judge the prequel trilogy by some impossibly high standard that in all honesty doesn't exist. None of the prequel films are any worse than Return of the Jedi was, and the acting in A New Hope was positively atrocious.

My opinion, of course. wink

I think all 6 movies succeed for what they are, pulp sci fi. Perhaps if Lucas had been less controlling, we would have gotten some better acting. But, perhaps it wouldn't have resulted in his vision, and maybe that would have been worse. The Grapes of Wrath, it is not. It is, however, solid- if not superior- entertainment. IMHO.

From MTV Blog

A live-action TV series set in the “Star Wars” cosmos has been an elusive, tantalizing prospect for years. News of the potential production first surfaced in 2005 while George Lucas was promoting “Revenge of the Sith.” Work on the “Clones Wars” animated feature film and Cartoon Network series, though, took creative precedence. In late 2007, Lucas revealed that he and his team were about to begin writing scripts for the live-action show. Now MTV News has learned that casting for the series is currently underway.

During the junket for the Nicolas Cage thriller “Knowing,” star Rose Byrne let slip that Team Lucas is casting a wide net for actors to join the show. “A lot of my friends have been auditioning for it,” she said.

According to Lucas, the show will focus on minor characters from the saga and be set in the time period between “Revenge of the Sith” (Episode III) and the original “Star Wars” (Episode IV). The action will follow the Rebel Alliance as it slowly gains strength against the Empire. There will be Stormtroopers, but no Jedi or Darth Vader will appear on screen. As he did with the “Clone Wars” series, Lucas will write and shoot an entire year’s worth of episodes before looking for a cable channel on which to air the series.

Thus, with casting just now moving forward, it looks to be quite some time before fans will be able to catch some live-action “Star Wars” on the small screen.

Bryne couldn’t have been more pleased about her time working with Lucas on 2002’s “Attack of the Clones.” “My experience was wonderful,” she said. “George is a great guy. I was just there for a week, standing behind Natalie [Portman] looking very demure and supportive. 95% of the fan mail I get is from ‘Star Wars’ and I’ve never seen them.”

As much as she enjoyed the “Star Wars” experience, Byrne, who was nominated for a Golden Globe for her work on FX’s “Damages,” will not be auditioning for the live-action series. “I’m on a show,” she said. “I don’t know if I look that good in space.”

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
Not enough Ewoks died, not nearly enough. A bit of Fuzzy genocide would have made me happy.
The Death star blew up in orbit... all that debris has to go somewhere and it was a lot bigger than a moon.

Quote:
There will be Stormtroopers, but no Jedi or Darth Vader will appear on screen.
I wonder how long this will last.

And thanks for the update Chosen.

I do remember reading along time ago that that it was a nine part story...a "trilogy of trilogies" as it were. But I agree...the Star Wars franchise is as good as done.

The original trilogy was great...because it was innovative for it's time.

Episodes 1-3, however...well...I try to pretend 1 was a bad dream. Episode 2 was actually interesting when we witnessed "Attack of the Yoda". Episode 3...*yawn*...we know what's going to happen...could care less...yada...yada...yada.

And now you got this animated crap going around that, quite frankly, sucks...and I pray that the station currently airing it in my area (CTV), will return to filling the Sunday night 7pm time slot with something more entertaining (like Law and Order reruns).

The SW franchise is no longer interesting...unless you like a glorified toy commercial with predictible storylines where they talk down to the audience.

Sorry, George, your time is over. Enjoy your money and stop producing crap, we already have enough of it as it is.

But hey...that's just my opinion. In the immortal words of Dennis Miller (before he went over the deep end), I could be wrong.

Like many of you, I try to forget the "prequel" trilogy.

I disagree that SW is no longer interesting, however. I've greatly enjoyed much of the Expanded Universe, from the books and graphic novels to the wealth of RPG opportunities.

The story of Anakin Skywalker is central to Lucas's vision, but it isn't the only story worth telling. There are a multitude of other characters, other tragedies, and other epic dramas that have been added to what I believe is an engaging and nuanced fictional universe.

Quote:
The Death star blew up in orbit... all that debris has to go somewhere and it was a lot bigger than a moon.

Speaking of things blowing up in Orbit... Independence Day. That mother ship was not the size of the death star but it was still way way bigger than the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs. I've always thought the Earth was seriously screwed as a result of that victory. Yay!!! The aliens are dead, we win!!!

Looks up to see the three mile long asteroid streaking through the atmosphere. "Oh Fuc..."

Well, remember both the New Death Star and ID:4 mothership blew up into many, many fragments. That suggests to me that those fragments were probably individually small enough to burn up in the atmosphere.

Of course, it's fairly realistic to assume SOME of those fragments would be big enough to survive re-entry in some form...especially because they're probably made of tougher stuff than meteorites.

So yeah. Forest moon of Endor reduced to a blazing inferno of shrieking, burning Ewoks.

...I'm strangely comfortable with that.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Speaking of things blowing up in Orbit... Independence Day. That mother ship was not the size of the death star but it was still way way bigger than the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs. I've always thought the Earth was seriously screwed as a result of that victory. Yay!!! The aliens are dead, we win!!!
Ya, probably... if we wanted to run a campaign in that universe we'd have to claim the left over crashed on to the moon.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Well, remember both the New Death Star and ID:4 mothership blew up into many, many fragments. That suggests to me that those fragments were probably individually small enough to burn up in the atmosphere.
Wouldn't make a difference. Even if every fragment were no bigger than a car, the part that's going to be a killer is their collective mass.

The rock that hit killed the dinosaurs wasn't very big measured against the Earth. But drop a couple of feet of steel over every inch of Endor's moon and there's no way they're not going to have problems... and that's *before* such issues as dropping them from orbit (meaning they're on fire).

Think of trying to drop the Earth's moon onto the Earth. Even if you blast it into grains of sand and have them drop over the course of a few weeks you're still looking at an ELE.

I think the point was that if the fragments are small enough..ie grains of sand...they *won't* actually touch earth. They would ve vaporized by the heat of reentry. Look at it this way...compile the collective mass of all the meteorites (shooting stars) over the last several hundred years...i bet its a lot but they just burn up or bounce off the atmosphere...

Reentry doesn't make all that matter disappear, it just converts it into a gas.

Imagine covering *every* *inch* the Earth with coal burning plants... with all that we'd *still* only be burning a faction of what that moon was going to receive.

The Earth is 12,700 kilometers in diameter. 99% of the air we breath is within the 50 kilometers above us. Our moon is is 3500 kilometers in diameter. Estimates on the 2nd Death Star go up to 900 kilometers in diameter. The Death Star was to the moon of Endor what our Moon is to the Earth.

Think of what would happen to us if we tried to drop a few kilometers of broken and burning building materials onto every inch of the planet over the course of a month. There's no way to drop the moon onto the Earth without having an ELE.

Archived