Aberrant: StarGate Atlantis - The Control Room -- OOC Chatter

Dawn OOC

BN- It's the Academics skill that counts. As Yseult said, it's Int + Academics = # of languages you can know.

So, for Inoue, she could know 6 languages (5 Int, 1 Academics). As it is, at this point she only knows two (Lantean/Ancient, oddly spoken English). I can weave in her learning/remembering up to 4 more languages before I have to spend xp on it, given ST approval.

Do you have a Linguistics skill on your sheet? There shouldn't be, it's just covered as stated above.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to this Lantean is structurally similar to Latin with similar vocabulary ... at least in the cannon. Dawn is this the case in the game as well? Goro may not have Lantean (or a slot free ATM) but he does know Latin. I'm wondering how to RP this and if it's close as in the series or not/custom.

Heh, this is totally taking a surprise out of the bag I'd planned for you guys... but I was going to have Pegasus galaxy languages that were similar to Earth languages. The logic is that its linguistic convergent evolution, and there are enough similiarities that someone with say, Spanish, would have a chance of understanding aliens who had developed something similar. I wanted to reward people for choosing languages other than Lantan.

In this case, anyone who knows a similar language (such as Latin to Lantan) can make a roll (Int + Academics) to understand the alien language; standard difficulty is 2, because this is another galaxy. It might be greater in other circumstances, depending on the variance between the two languages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heads up for this weekend - I'll be at a convention for most of it. Friday and Sunday I won't be online much as I'll be enroute, and the rest of the time I will be having fun (or so I hope). I will be sticking my head into the forums to check on my games, at the very least.

• 2 months later...

I'll be honest, I'm kinda losing my interest in this game. For me it's mostly the pace. I realize that most everybody else has a ton more games and that making the pace for this one pick up would be difficult for the rest of you but for me I just can't play that way, I lose interest, get frustrated or bored, and lose my motivation to post.

That's where I'm at right now. Unmotivated. Sorry.

Don't apologize for being honest. I'd rather people tell me how they feel about a game and start an open dialogue about the game rather than hem and haw about it.

I only have a few questions - is your interest utterly gone, or is there a chance to revive it? Who else is feeling that? What can be done about it, if anything?

Ditto Jim, here. I don't want to see the game fold at all (I love the setting, I love my character), but the slow pace is making me a drag on the game. Perhaps entering a few new players might also be an idea? I know Jasmine had talked at one point about making essentially a xenopsychologist that could cover for part of the time when BN is away for family/military stuffs.

I don't know if anyone else is interested in playing, but it might be a place to start. Dawn, is there anything you want from us as players?

Likewise, I know my posting is greatly affected by the posting in any game I'm - the more others drag their feet - or otherwise can't post - the more I slow down too.

I agree with Inoae, with BN being all militarized and stuff, and even Daven not being around much (though he might be affected by the rate of posting like the rest of us), maybe getting an infusion of new players might help pick things up.

I've given it some thought. Discussed with Carver in chat, given her my feedback and my thoughts. At this point I have decided to remove myself from the game.

The good doctor can move back into his TV show guest appearance schedule instead of inexplicably being on the #1 off world team.

Goro out.

The only other thing I think would help enable a steady pace is something like a weekly update, if you have the time for such, Dawn. Giving us a deadline, even a lenient one, might entice us to post a little more frequently. And if someone doesn't post, you have full permission to direct their character into any trouble you deem fit. smile

Just my two cents.

• 1 month later...

I have given this some thought and I'm going to take two weeks to reorganize my thoughts/plans for this game. Additionally, that will give me time to see if Jasmine or anyone else is intersted in joining. If you think someone might want to hop on, have them post here.

I'll be rethinking my plans. I think I'm going to scrap this chapter for now; losing chunks of the cast during it made it hard for me to keep going and that showed. So if you have any thoughts for changes to the overall plots/structure, etc, put them here.

Hopefully, this will help me get back into the game and get it picked up and going.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So today I was told that Davenrell is pulling out of this game. It has to do with RL stuff, including school and work and all the shit that gets us down. That leaves us with Asa, who isn't posting much of anywhere due to no fault of his own, and Mala, who's having her own RL issues. Meanwhile, my inspiration has lagged. So unless someone comes up with a compelling reason to go on, I think we'll just shutter up the game. If you have one, I'm all ears.

I'll give it a few days for people to voice their reasons.

I'm going to take on last stab here, mostly because Mala loves this game and I think it could be awesome. Plus, I was ready to put Dalton in the grave and you guys brought it back. So, I'm willing to consider anyone for this game. If you're interested, please post your desire to play in this thread, along with a concept. If no one has an objection to you, I'll accept a submission from you.

Any takers?

I'm still willing to make a character for this game, Dawn, if some other people are showing interest. I know I lagged on it because I was creating so many new characters - Aradia for WoDA, and the tabletop game we were going to be in that fell through. So I was kind of on burnout. But I'll try to get Moira put together for this game. Assuming, of course, that she's going to be an appropriate character with a smaller crew of posters. Does the concept still hold up for the game as is or do I need to make some adjustments?

Archived